Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Interested in Discus Launched Gliders - DLG

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Interested in Discus Launched Gliders - DLG

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:47 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Interested in Discus Launched Gliders - DLG

I am thinking of trying discuss launched gliders. So, I am looking for your input and especially your experience with DLGs. I am not really interested in HLGs. The DLGs go so much higher and seem to go up so much more easily. Also, this if for sport flying, not contest use, so I am looking in the lower price ranges.

What started this was, during an recent Eastern Soaring League sailplane contest, at the lunch break, all these fantastic contest pilots grabbed a hot dog, then went back to their cars. Next thing you know the sky is filled with HLGs and DLGs There must have been 10-12 of them in the air at any given time among 32 pilots. Boy they look like fun.

Then they started showing up at our field. There are a couple of DLGs and a couple of HLGs being tossed around. Again, they look like fun!

Right now I am looking in the under $160 category. I would prefer an ARF, but a kit might be OK if the price is right. I am sure I can build a fairly simple kit, but building is not a passion so ARFs are preferred.

I am debating between R/E or A/R/E. I like my R/E 2 meter sailplanes, but am thinking that if I had A/R/E I can use the ailerons as flaps or spoilers for landing. In addition I have been reading about people flying slope with these planes in very light lift in addition to discus launching for thermals. I think ailerons are better suited to slope use. But I am very open to your thoughts.

Last question is about size. Most are about 1.5M, but some are as small as 1M. Any thoughts on this? Outside of flying, the 1M planes would be easier to keep in the car for unplanned flights when the opportunity strikes, but will they launch and fly as well?

Here are the planes I have looked at so far. ** Means this one has my attention at the moment.

Rudder/Elevator models
- Some have video links on their pages

Mountain Models DL50 - $70-kit **
http://www.mountainmodels.com/DL50.php

The Gambler+ = $70 - Kit
http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com/our_kits/gambler.htm

Zip - $79 ARF
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/zip.htm

NSP Calysto $139 - ARF
http://www.nesail.com./detail.php?productID=2955

Rudder/Elevator/Aileron Models

NSP Huron - ARF $128
http://www.nesail.com./detail.php?productID=760

NSP Apache - ARF $139 **
http://www.nesail.com./detail.php?productID=1178

HobbyClub Salsa (aka Salmoe) $159 **
http://www.hobbyclub.com/salsahlg.htm

Art Hobby Bobolink $91 Kit
http://www.arthobby.com/gliders/specs/bobolink.html

ArtHobby Hyper DL $131 Kit
http://www.arthobby.com/gliders/specs/hyperDL.html

My experience -

Flying 2 Seasons - about 750 total flights + 14 hours slope soaring

2M RES and 3M full house sailplanes
- Some light contest experience
3 channel parkflyers
2 channel Zagi slope wing
Old 11-22-2004, 09:11 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Interested in Discus Launched Gliders - DLG

I can only speak to one of these DLGs you've suggested. I assembled an NSP Apache for a friend. It went together well, 4 Hitec 55 servos, 350 mah NiCad pack and Berg RX. I set the CG to the plans and it is much too nose heavy (used xpoxy and lead shot in the very nose) [>:]. We are slowly drilling this out and sending the CG aft.

Given your flying full house sailplanes, I'd go with an aileron DLG. I'm looking into one for myself in the near future. Check the RC Groups web site. There is a whole forum dedicated to DLGs. Statements there will indicate this is not an ultimate contest ship, but is a good first higher level DLG.

John C
Old 11-22-2004, 10:27 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: John C

I can only speak to one of these DLGs you've suggested. I assembled an NSP Apache for a friend. It went together well

Given your flying full house sailplanes, I'd go with an aileron DLG.

Statements there will indicate this is not an ultimate contest ship, but is a good first higher level DLG.

John C
Thanks John. You experience is appreicated.

I have been leaning toward an aileron ship, but am still very open either way.

Not really concerned about a contest grade ship. This is purely for fun!

Speaking of purely for fun, I came across some "differnt" types of planes. Would be interested in people's thoughts.

The Seeker - $79 kit - smaller than the ones above
This one breaks down for easy transport - I like that!
http://www.liftworx.com/pages/seeker.html

DLG Wings - Look like fun, but not sure how they would thermal. I have no real flat field experience with wings. I do fly a ZAGI off a slope site. Like it a lot, but have not tried to thermal it without slope lift.

Boomer DLG flying wing
Looks like fun, but not sure this is what I am looking for
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4524

Red Herring - DLG Flying wing
Very light wing loading
http://www.liftworx.com/pages/redherring.html
Old 11-24-2004, 12:41 PM
erik_j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aeajr, It has been slim pickn's so far with my post. I guess not many folks have experience with those particular planes. I have been doing a huge amount of research on this topic and have finally come to a conclusion. The potential NES customer service issue scares me. I have had one (very expensive) internet purchase go bad and I don't want to have that happen again. I feel the risk is too great. NES has nice planes, the $199 price is great, but.....

Anyway, I ended up mailing in a check for a Blaster from Kennedy Composites. I talked with the owner on the phone, Barry I think, and he was very informative and was willing to answer any question I had. I get a good feeling about his company (for what that is worth!)

For the type of flying I intend to do, I think the Blaster will suit me best. Having an all-out contest ship would be nice, but they are $100-150 more and I don't know how much better they will be. The Blaster's wing seems so smooth and efficient, and with the Drela (?) airfoils, I think it will offset some of the precieved weight penalty. Folks in the forum don't like the fact the Blaster weighs 1.5-2.5oz more than others, but I am not worried because most of my flying will be with wind. I live near the coast and on top of a hill and the air is NEVER still. Since slope will be part of the flying this plane will see, I think of it as having ballast built in! If weight concerns you (besides my spelling ) Barry has a "lite" version that he says is 1.5-2oz lighter than the standard one. The lead time for the lite verision is 3-4weeks from yesterday. It is not listed as an option on his site, but you can see how he is responsive to customer preference!

I got ready to suck it up and plunk down the near $450 for a Taboo, but Oleg's web site states he is not taking orders now do to backlog and it may a 8-10mo before I could get my hands on one. The XP-4, another good one. I traded emails with Ironworks.org, makers of the Epona, another XP-4/Taboo class of ship. The Epona is new and production is not there yet.

I'll take a chance with the Blaster and 'max it out'. If I need more, I'll get a Taboo when Oleg gets his new family taken care of and production picks up next year.

Sorry for my rambling....Best of luck in your DLG search. Drop me an email if you want so more details on knowledge learned from my DLG quest.

[email protected]
Old 11-26-2004, 07:59 PM
erik_j

I guess I did a lousy job of reading your $$ requirements. I just remembered everytime I bought cheaper, I always regretted not getting 2/3 up in the class. It saves me more money in the long run. Anyway, my experience.....
Old 11-26-2004, 09:41 PM
aeajr

Your reference to cheap is understood. I have rejected some cheap offerings. I think I am looking at the lower end of the good stuff vs the higer end of the midrange. I am not looking in the competition stuff, which I would say reside abover $200.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:27 AM
kiwisdofly

Hey there,

My name is James, and I live in New Zealand.

l have been flying rc since I was a young fella, mostly IMAC sort of flying. 2 meter Extras, Caps, lasers, Giles etc,.... . However, at the most recent MC event in NZ, I saw a guy flying this thing that he called a "Blaster". I stood in amazement as he tossed this very sleek looking glider 100-120 feet into the air! I had to have one[:-]

I did some research on the "Blaster" and DLG'ing in general online. To be perfectly honest, things like fuel and gloplugs & traveling miles out of town because the council bulldozed the last airfield in our city can make it really hard to go and practice if you want to be competitive, and I think that things like hand launching gliders are a real option as they present a unique physical challenge to our sport/hobby.

With more good luck than good management I ran straight into a great deal on a Kennedy Composites "Blaster" -one off ten in total that were imported into NZ, thanks www.rcbandit.co.nz!!. I was stoked when I recieved the airframe, I could not get over the quality the composite fabrication that made up this glider. Matt from Rc bandit in NZ gave me the brief on being carefull (like,really careful), with the weight, No big epoxy fillets and fuel proofing to do in this little sucker.

The airframe took me 3-4 nights to assemble. Everything fits everything like a glove, which helps when one is required to be a bit more delicate. You do have to be extremely carful with storage due to the extremely light wing and tail feathers, but that won't matter as you will want to put it on the coffee table in your living room when the missus is out, like I am doing right now......

I must confess that the price tag for a decent Discuss launch Glider is rather hefty in our local currency. But I just cant get over the quality of my blaster - the fully moulded Wing is so straight, stiff and light and the is an obvious attention to composite detail that cannot be achieved in any mass production line.

I am more than a little nervous about the maiden flight. It is like starting all over again, especially when I consider that I have never thrown or caught any of the many remote control planes that I have built and flown now.

I will post some pics if i can?

I think that I may only be one or two thermals away from being hooked to DLG, that is in large part thanks to the quality of my first kit, the"Blaster"

I dont post alot online, but this little plane has really impressed me-

I am, of course, assuming that it is a great plane to fly. My understanding from the top guys here in NZ was that if I wanted a nice airframe I should consider either a "Tabboo" (hope thats right), or a "Blaster". Both apparently performed in the top 10 spots at the last World Championships.

Thanks for reading my post

Kia ora
Old 12-02-2005, 06:45 AM
kiwisdofly

Those photos as promised, I think that they uploaded okay?......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83306.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	363522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99659.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	363523  
Old 12-02-2005, 07:09 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: kiwisdofly

I am more than a little nervous about the maiden flight. It is like starting all over again, especially when I consider that I have never thrown or caught any of the many remote control planes that I have built and flown now.

Thanks for reading my post

Kia ora
Welcome to the world of silent, unpowerd flight. This is SO different from what you have been doing that this checklist may be helpful. It is all good but Step 7 on is really for your.

PREFLIGHT AND TEST FLIGHT PROCEDURES FOR GLIDERS
by Ed Anderson
aeajr on the forums

Here are some quick tips and a "check sheet" for preparing your glider for
launch. If you are a new pilot, you really need to heed the wind cautions.
If you are experienced, use your own judgment.

Here is how you prepare for your first flights. Skip a step and you open
yourself to problems.

Be sure to balance the plane to the suggested point. If you don't have a
reference setting from planes or a guide, then try balancing on the main spar
as a starting point. Another reference point is 35% back from the front of
the wing at the root. It is more complex than that, but it give you a
starting point.

It is better to be a "little" nose heavy to tail heavy. A nose heavy plane is
more stable so you have a better chance of a smooth first flight session.

Respect the wind - For new pilots, dead calm to 2 MPH is perfect. No more
than 5 MPH for your first test glides and early/training flights or you will
be fighting the wind, not flying the plane.
(guess how I know)

AT THE FIELD

1) Make sure no one is on your channel BEFORE you turn on your radio. If
someone is flying on your channel and you turn on your radio, they will crash!
Check first!

2) Do a range check before the first launch of the day

3) Make sure that battery is fully charged just before the launch. Not 3 days
ago. Not last week. Last night or today!

4) Make sure all your surfaces are properly aligned and move properly before
you launch. Right rudder goes right and up elevator goes up, etc. Check that
surfaces are properly aligned. Also make sure your wing is straight!

5) CHECK THE TRIMS! Check the trim slides on the side and below the stick(s).
Be sure you have not bumped one out of position. A bumped trim can cause the
plane to crash. (guess how I know).

6) Always launch and land into the wind. ALWAYS!!!!

7) For hand launches - Do them over long grass if you can. Give it a good firm LEVEL throw - not up. Never throw the plane upward on a test glide as it will most likely stall, nose down and crash.

8) Let it fly straight out (no power on e-gliders also) - the fist
few times and see if it goes straight
and level. Try not to use the controls unless you have to. If it is balanced
correctly, and your surfaces are trimmed it should glide straight and flat for
about 50-100 feet, maybe more. If it does not, you have some balancing or trim to adjust.

Even a DLG should float out nicely on a hand toss. Once this is working perfectly, THEN I would attempt my first side arm throws with it. Then work up to a half turn. Then a full discus launch.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 AM
kiwisdofly

Hey Ed,

Seems like some sound advice you have right there.... thanks, I appreciate it and it will be put to good use. I have 'made my own bed' by going for an airframe that is not designed for beginners- so I am glad to here that an old school overhand launch will be sufficient to start with. With that in mind, are you suggesting that I should just forget about flight modes with flaperons and spoilerons to start with?

Regards
Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 AM
aeajr

We have a hand launched glider contest once a month at our club. Half the guys are hand throwing thier DLGs for the contest. Discus launches are not allowed in the contest, at least not so far.

I would say yes, keep it simple to start. Keep your launches easy to start and build up to it. You can build in the mixes later.

This is not a strength thing. Getting 40-50 feet is easy and that is enough to start. Getting 100+ feet will come later. It is all in the technique. You can start with a side arm launch. Keep it smooth, and keep the arm and wrist straight. Don't "fling it". Work up to harder throws, then you can work into a full discus launch.

I am no master of this but I have learned a little flying my side arm launched "boomer" wing glider.

www.radiocarbonart.com has a great video on discus launched gliders and the proper throwing techniques.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM
kiwisdofly

Thanks once again,

Just out of interest, where does one fly a DLG if they live in NYC? I was fortunate enough to make it to the east coast of the USA a month or so ago, Chicago, New York City- we (my partner and I) caught the Amtrak right across the middle of your massive and beautiful country. When I was in NYC I was flattened by the sheer size of the central city, building after building for miles. Is there an rc flying field somewhere in there?

James
Old 12-02-2005, 12:18 PM
aeajr

Yes NYC is somewhat different from most other places in the world.

Unlike powered RC planes, gliders are less intrusive as they are quiet and unthreatening. HLGs and DLGs are even friendlier to a city environment. You don't need a runway and you don't need room for a sailplane launcher of any kind. Since there is no motor there is no noise of any kind and no need for some way to recharge a motor battery.

You can fly a DLG anywhere you have some open space. And because the wing loadings are typically low, you can slope soar them on a whisper. I have heard of people slope soaring off of parked trucks with HLG/DLGs. And there are pleanty of water front areas around NYC as the whole city is a collection of islands, so tiny slope spots might be everywhere.

I don't live in NYC, I am on Long Island, east of NYC. Lots of clubs of all kinds out here. If you ever happen by this way again, send me a PM and we can arrange to fly together.