RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   hardware for dumas atlas van lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/2358167-hardware-dumas-atlas-van-lines.html)

kvnnina 11-19-2004 11:25 AM

hardware for dumas atlas van lines

I want to know if any one could help I have a dumas 40 size hydro 36" long. I have winter plans of finising it and a couple more boats but instead of putting a 40 in it I have plans of a rossi 90 If this is even possible. I need to know what size and type of hardware to use (rudder,strut,shaft,turn fin,prop,ect.) Dumas kits Im sure would not be a good choice. Any help will be very greatfull thankyou.

Ps Is this going to be hard to get A 90 to work.

kvnnina 11-19-2004 12:23 PM

RE: hardware for dumas atlas van lines

Also I could use information on what kind of engine mount I could fit in here the rails are around 3 to 3 1/2" wide not very big.

kvnnina 11-20-2004 11:30 AM

I didnt remember how big a 90 was. Those things are huge I guess I probably should for get about that idea. Any one know what the biggest engine I can get to work in this boat is.

Hydro Junkie 11-20-2004 05:49 PM

Good call on staying away from the Dumas hardware. I built the same boat and can give you a few good tips:
1) Widen the tunnel by AT LEAST 1/2 INCH!!!! The hull will be too narrow to have stability in the corners otherwise. This will involve replacing the bow block, the two cross bulkheads that form the radio box, both botton pannels, and the transom. The transom needs to be 1/4" aircraft grade with 5 plies to be strong enough.
2) Ignore the directions on the skid fin location. It should be mounted on the right sponson transom. Also, replace the right sponson transom with 1/4" aircraft grade ply, just like the transom. The 1/8th mahogany won't hold up to the stress of mounting the skid fin bracket to it.
3) Cut lightening holes in all internal framing. The 1/8th mahogany weighs a ton. so anywhere you can remove weight will improve performance.
4) If at all possible, move the radio gear to the front, under the cockpit. You want to keep the transom area as light as possible. This will involve moving the fuel tank to under the deck(preferably on the right side), along side the engine, and making the cockpit removable.
5) Install 1/8th square spruce stock along the sponson insides where the bottom is glued. Butt joints aren't going to hold in this high stress area without reinforcing. It would be better to install the blocks as a continuous run and notch the cross frames to fit over the blocks. It would also be a good idea to glue some blocks from the bow block to the deck to give you something to glue the deck too.
6) Coat the entire inside of the hull with either thinned epoxy glue or a fuel proof varnish of some sort. Dumas' choise of mahogany ply was not a really good idea, as mahogany soaks up water like a sponge.
7) If you can find one, use a rubber mounted engine mount. It will absorb most of the engine vibration, protecting the hull and radio gear from the extra stress.

The boat I built was built as per the instructions, NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Built as per the instructions, the boat I built weighed in at a whopping 8 POUNDS BEFORE INSTALLING THE ENGINE, RUNNING GEAR OR RADIO EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a lot of weight for a little 40 or 45 to move.

As far as running gear, I would contact RCR or any of the other GOOD boat supply houses and get something like Speedmaster, Octura, Prather, or something of equal quality. I would recommend using a 3/16th inch flex and strut with needle bearings, a heavy duty rudder assembly with integrated water pickup and a kickup bracket, and a similar kickup skid fin assembly. I wouldn't go any bigger than a .67 for this boat. I would also stay away from the real power house .67 engines(CMB, MAC, etc), as the hull won't handle that much power, especially with all that mahogany.

Hope all this info helps;)

kvnnina 11-21-2004 08:54 PM

I thank you very much for all the info but I actully bought the boat put together but never anything mounted. I know I will sound dumb but what is rcr and how can I contact them.

ejp67 11-21-2004 08:58 PM

I believe it is rocket city racing. rocketcityracing.com

kvnnina 11-21-2004 09:12 PM

do U think if I can get A good deal on A kit that is new It would be worth it more than just trying to get this one running

Macleod 11-22-2004 04:34 AM

Hi Hvnnina,

Many would agree with me that there is nothing better than running your boat around the pond for all to see, knowing that you built it from scratch:):D

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the money issue !!!!!! :( as to whether to buy a kit or settle for someone elses creation....[&o]

Ron Olson 11-22-2004 11:36 PM

Seeing how you are in Aurora, check out Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst or call Gary Preusse at 630-279-2451, he's not too far from you.
A Rossi .90 is a bit much with that hull, especially with the narrow engine rails.

kvnnina 11-23-2004 11:04 AM

thank you everyone for all the info. Ya I go to als all the time. I am trying to see if I can get great parts at A fraction of the price. I got to many boats that need stuff. Ron who is Gary. Hydro and ejp rcr is a great site thanks. Hydro also thinks for taking the time to give me all that info im sure it will be very helpfull in the future.

Ron Olson 11-23-2004 11:21 AM

Who is Gary? Have you got all day?:D He holds or has held probably more IMPBA speed records than anyone. Gary and his wife both are IMPBA Hall of Fame members, his wife the only woman to be in there. His brother, his son David along with his wife Cathy are also involved in our hobby/sport. His work includes the design of the Dumas Hawk and Eagle outrigger hydro kits. Outriggers and Hydroplanes are his specialty but his knowledge at other boats is nothing to sneeze at. A long-distance phone call to him is always worth my money, I'm always learning something from him.