Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Alpina 4001 info ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:10 AM
AirScharnell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpina 4001 info ?

Looking for info on a Multiplex Alpina 4001
Basic info would be servo , size and torque ?

Any info would be helpful
Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 AM
scalesoar
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Alpina 4001 info ?

For ailerons and or flaps. you can usec any quality micro digital, and my recomendation would be to go with a metal gear version.
Volz, JR DS168 or 351. possibly the mini sized DS 3421. Elevator same and do use a digital for precise trimming on the elevator. Rudder any mini that will fit. If you have the spoiler version, any micro will be fine.

PS;
The Multiplex Contest line will be available again soon from EMM. Hitec has sold off the Contest line to the company that made all the components for these models. (Multiplex did not manufacture kits themselves)Tangent now owns the rights to continue production of these quality kits and the use the Multiplex name.

John D.

HTTP://www.scalesoaring.net

See the new products page for more info.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
jooNorway

Also the Hitec 5125 or maybe 125MG would suit, and also Multiplex have a special servo for sailplane-wingmount.
Have some MPX-models myself, Alpina Magic, Schampus and ASW27B. Like the quality!
Disappointing that all the quality-stuff disappears from MPX as soon as Hitec took over the control, going for Jamara-toy instead... [:@]
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 PM
MTT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 2 Alpina's, and flown them as pure sailplane, and as electric-assist sailplane.

On the first, I had Multiplex Cockpit BB's on rudder, elev & flaps, the mentioned Multiplex flat servos ( super FL) on the ailerons, and HS-81's on the spoilers.
The second (electric) had a HS-525 BB for the rudder, HS-85MG for the elevator (installed in the tail ), and HS-85MG's on flaps&ailerons (no spoilers on this one)

All the above combinations worked well without any problems or indications that the servos were not strong enough.

The Multiplex FL's are nice for locations where you don't have a lot of room to work with, but not really becessary in the Alpina wings, there's enough room.

Michael
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 AM
AirScharnell

I really appreciate ALL your info.
This will HELP a lot in getting this project started in the right direction.

I'm building this bird for a guy with little sailplane stick time. So I would like too set it up the right way.

He's thinking of using one of the local clubs with electric high starts or a possible tow plane.

He would like too have all the extras as well including the retract wheel?
So will look at all servo brands.

He's also looking for a New Transmitter for this plane as well ????

Any sugestions on this ?
8 or 9 channels is what im thinking for all the functions he wants too add as well.

Thanks again
Frank
Old 03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
MTT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see..
Does the ALpina have spoilers, or just flaps and ailerons ?

If it has spoilers, you'll need at least 8 channels :

rudder = 1
elevator = 1
aileron = 2
flap = 2
spoilers = 2
tow-release = 1

Makes 9 channels, would recommend a Mulriplex Royal evo 9. You could do with 8 channels, connecting the spoilers servos to one channel, via Y-lead.

If it doesn't have spoilers, it's easier, you need only 7ch.
Whatever radio you choose, make sure it is capable of all the mixes required for a full-house sailplane :
crow
TE camber
aileron-to-flap mix

Michael
Old 03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
wjjones
My Feedback: (3)

If your friend doesn't have much sailplane "stick time," he should get a lot more of it before he tackles something like a nine channel (ten servo) Alpina. This is not a beginner or even intermediate sailplane. I flew power planes for years, but it was a big challenge learning to use different flight modes, airbrakes, butterfly, etc. It's easy to flip the wrong switch and be in the wrong flight mode (DMHIK). The Alpina also deceptively fast and covers a lot of sky in a hurry (and a lot of ground when landing). Don't get me wrong--it's a great plane, but not as a beginner sailplane.

As to the radio, it's easier to wire your servos with a nine channel radio. I used a Futaba 9C with my Multiplex ASH26 which is essentially the same as the Alpina. I am not religious about Futaba. People have preferences for their brand, but I recommend you buy what others in your area tend to fly. When you need help setting up the plane or making adjustments at the field, it's nice when others know the radio. For as nice as the Multiplex EVO is supposed to be, you couldn't get much help with one in my area. This would be a big problem if you're new to sailplanes.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
scalesoar

The Alpina is a very easy sailplane to fly, but it has been correctly observed, it is not for a beginner. That said, I helped a gentlman fly one for the first time at an aerotow event. He had no experience with full trailing edge control but had flown TD ships with ailerons and simple flaps. We programmed his multiplex EVO on the spot and by the end of the day was aerotowing it and flying like a champ.

I found the Evo lacking in dual rate flexibility, it is all channels or none it seems. For all it's popularity this seems a very limiting factor.
Look seriously at the JR 9303. reasonably priced and very easy to program. The first manual does leave something to be desired, but this is being corrected, and there are a lot of forum articles out there and revised sailplanes set ups on the Horizon web site by Joe Wurts.
The important thing to me is field service and local support. Horizon is good at that in my experience. The advice of the man who recomend that you fly what your friends and local experts fly is sound.

John D.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
AirScharnell

This is ALL very good advice and will pass it along.
I do have a JR field rep in my area too ask his opinon, but again where it is flown there should be some help on site ( a good point ).

This one is full blown and will let him know about not really a starter ship.
He has glow training not sure how much?

thanks again for ALL the input and suggestions,

Frank
Old 03-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Wiker

He could use Multiplex Micro Digi in the wing. They will fit perfectly in the servo boxes (wing-mounting frames) that are included with the kit.

ORIGINAL: scalesoar
I found the Evo lacking in dual rate flexibility, it is all channels or none it seems. For all it's popularity this seems a very limiting factor.
The EVO have seperat dual rates on ailerons, rudder, and elevator. These can be switched on/off indipendently but it depending on which switch they are assigned to.