Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Toughlon covering

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Has anyone used Toughlon covering

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:53 AM
JimInCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used Toughlon covering

My LHS is now carrying Toughlon covering by World Models. I would like to know if anyone has used this covering and how it compares to Monokote and Ultracote.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:22 PM
JimInCA

Default RE: Has anyone used Toughlon covering

Due to the lack of response, I assume that I have my answer. Then it must be time for someone to join the ranks of Columbus, Magellan, Lindbergh, and Armstrong, and be the first.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Matt14x

Hey Jim

Can you tell us anything about it? Who makes it? Is there a website?
I Just bought white monokote, you can almost see through it!!

Matt
Old 03-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Matt14x

Hey Jim

Never Mind, World Engines.

Still would like to know how it compairs to mono..
Old 03-17-2005, 10:54 PM
JimInCA

Hello Matt,
Toughlon is actually made by World Models, not World Engines. Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.theworldmodels.com/

All I can say is that they have a good selection of colors, but not a good as Monokote. I also saw one of their ARFs at the field a couple of weeks back that was covered in Toughlon, and I have to say that it did look good. The ARF was their latest version of the Sky Raider.

Jim...
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM
JimInCA

I’ve finally have finished my evaluation of Toughlon covering by World Models. The plane that I chose to cover with it is a Sig 4 * 40.

As for my background, the plane that I covered with Toughlon is the ninth that I’ve done with iron on covering. I’ve covered seven with Monokote, one with Ultracote, and now this one with Toughlon. And as for the Monokote V. Ultracote debate, I really don’t have a preference between the two. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and the reason that I chose one over the other has more to do with color selection and availability than a preference for one over the other.

The colors that I chose to use were white and turquoise. On inspection, it is easy to tell the front from the back of the covering. For the white, the outer side as a great shine to it and the backside is a dull white. As for the turquoise, the backside is also a dull white, so it’s very easy to tell it from the topside.

Working with Toughlon while the backing was on it is a little difficult. It has a tendency to roll back up as if it was still on the roll. This made cutting pieces to a little difficult, but not impossible. And as for the trim pieces, I needed several rulers to hold the piece down while I lined up my cuts. But once the backing is removed, the covering will lay flat, so there is no issue here when applying the covering to the desired surface.

Toughlon is listed as having a temperature range from 135 to 250 degrees, but I found this not to be accurate. I have a Top Flite sealing iron and a Coverite temperature gage. With the temperature reading at 140 degrees, I could not get the covering to stick at all. It did not start to stick until I increased the temperature to ~190 degrees, and it seemed to work best at around 230 to 250 degrees, which is still acceptable. I believe that this places Toughlon at a point a little higher in temperature than Ultracote but still less than Monokote. (I have a little more to say about the temperature setting a little bit later.)

Once you get the temperature right, the covering goes on nicely. It seemed to have a good amount of stretch to it, although maybe not as much as Ultracote, but defiantly more than Monokote. But I have to say that this plane didn’t have any compound curves, such as wing tips, to test its stretch and shrinkage.

The covering went on with very few wrinkles. I actually could have covered this plane with just the use of my covering iron and trim iron. But to test how well it shrinks with my heat gun, it did get it out. What few ripples that were in the covering come out with the heat gun with out a problem.

I did try the Windex trick to apply my trim pieces. The Windex worked just as it does with Monokote. I sprayed the Windex on, laid out my trim pieces exactly where I wanted them, squeegee out the excess Windex, and left it to dry over night. The next day all I had to do it hit the trim pieces with my iron and they’re now on permanently.

Now for the only fault that I had with Toughlon.

I took my 4 * 40 out for her maiden flight. The engine, an OS 46 FX, had already been flown in another plane for over 200 flights, so it didn’t need to be broken in or anything else, just a little adjustment to the needle valve. I started the engine, took the plane to the edge of the runway and taxied out. I gave it full throttle, the plane gained speed, the tail lifted, a little more speed, and she took to the air with out any problem. I gained some altitude and leveled off. The plane started to nose down a little, so I held some up, and started to add a little trim. On my second time around the filed, I started to hear some flutter, but not the kind of flutter from a control surface, the kind of flutter that I flag makes. I then noticed that my plane looked a little funny, I was looking at the bottom of the wing, which was covered in turquoise, but I was seeing white. I then noticed that there was turquoise covering hanging from the bottom of my wing! I came around and landed the plane without a problem. (Well actually, I lost a tire sometime during the flight, but that’s another story.)

Out of the eight planes that I covered prior to this one, I never had a single piece of covering come loose, let alone come off. When I covered this plane, I’m sure that I had the iron set correctly at between 230 and 250 degrees. But then I have been known to make mistakes in the past, just not with covering a plane.

I replace the covering that came off and I resealed the rest of the covering on the plane with my iron set to 270 degrees, which is over the range suggested my the manufacturer. Last weekend, I took my 4 * 40 back out and I got five full 12 to 15 minute flights on it with out any of the covering coming loose. So the jury is still out on the cause of the covering coming loose, bad spec on the temperature specified by the manufacturer, or bad quality control on my part.

In conclusion, I was pleased with the results that I got with the Toughlon covering. It went on nice and the plane came out looking good. The bottom line: Would I use it again? The answer: YES. I’ll probable still stick to using what’s available in the colors that I want to use, but I’ll defiantly look at Toughlon along with Ultracote and Monokote.

I’ll post some pictures of my plane so you can judge for yourself.

Thanks for reading…

Old 08-04-2005, 05:21 PM
JimInCA

And as promised, here are some photos of my Sig 4 * 40...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62924.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	305582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40965.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	305583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70452.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	305584  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Good review Jim. Not the usual B$ you get fom paid/bribed reviewers.

Safe Flying!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 PM
JimInCA

Not that taking a bribe is beneath me .. free kits... free engines... free covering...
Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
vatorman94

Toughlon used to be sold by Sig as Sig aerocote. I'm not sure if all the color numbers or color names are the same so if you are trying to match something ,you ought to call and check.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tried it. Didn't really care for it and gave the rolls I had to modellers in need.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pylon racers we are using here for Club 40 racing are the World Models SkyRaider Mach II that has the Toughlon covering on the plane. The part I do not care for is that the outer clear section of the covering is very bad to de-laminate and it justs pulls right off the colored part. I have had this happen to every SRMII I have had.

Just my .02 worth.
John
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, turn your heat down.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Vic,
it didnt matter what I did to it , low heat, medium heat or high heat ( but nothing over 290°)..... I even tried cussing it and that didnt help either Even 2 brand new planes out of the box were like this, and I even purchased them from different hobby shops. I could literally pull the outer clear top cover off of the colored part of the covering. Oh well
I finally just peeled the offending top part of and raced the planes .
Old 12-14-2010, 12:23 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

The pylon racers we are using here for Club 40 racing are the World Models SkyRaider Mach II that has the Toughlon covering on the plane. The part I do not care for is that the outer clear section of the covering is very bad to de-laminate and it justs pulls right off the colored part. I have had this happen to every SRMII I have had.

Just my .02 worth.
John
We have the same problem with the World Models T-34's we use for club racing. I've had covering come off wing and stab, especially when it gets hot. Even on unstressed area, it de-laminates over time. Too bad they don't make an ARC.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:32 PM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: vatorman94

Toughlon used to be sold by Sig as Sig aerocote. I'm not sure if all the color numbers or color names are the same so if you are trying to match something ,you ought to call and check.
Seriously, you dug up a 5 year old thread to add that????