Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GSP Giles 202

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GSP Giles 202

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:58 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP Giles 202

Went to look at one in the store today.Was hanging of the ceiling and assembled.I have the GSP Katana and am very happy with it overall.Can I expect the same from this unit? It looks really sharp and well built and the price is great.Almost went home with it,but I thought I'd check in with the great folks at RCU.Please only reply if you had hands on experience with this exact kit.My power option would be OS 160 or YS 140 sport.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
nitro wing

Default RE: GSP Giles 202

I did a search all over ,but cannot find much on this Giles.I guess it is a new release or not many have been sold..??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35412.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	297831  
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 PM
ukrconsul

Saw one. Looks nice. But cowl is very thin.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Pete850

Hi Guys,

Maidened mine yesterday - and am pleased to say everything went fine. I have an MVVS 1.60 glow with an 18x6 prop on straight fuel. There seems to be plenty of power in reserve, although I didn't try anything too hairy with it. Just wanted to get it trimmed first. It only needed 2 clicks of up elevator and a click if right aileron for level flight. Landing was a breeze, 1/4 throttle and let it lose height then flair about 3 feet up to a 3-point landing.

If you have any questions on the plane, I'll be happy to answer as best as I can.

Pete

Name:	Rp44389.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	298464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86790.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	298465  
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like another good plane from CMPro ... that is the factory who manufacturers it.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
nitro wing

Excellent.
I am picking mine up today
Old 07-20-2005, 12:36 AM
nitro wing

Any more flights Pete ? I sub assembled mine and had no hangups anywhere,it is built strong and probably could shed some weight,but it least it aint flimsy.Gotta wait for some more cash to outfit it with the electronics I want.
Engine will be OS 160..Any troubles with the CG Pete?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Pete850

No more flights yet - wet and windy here at the moments (British summer don't you know!) Hope to fly again at the weekend.

C of G was spot on with the 2500mAh NiMh battery in the cowl strapped under the firewall box.

I was a bit worried about it being tail heavy with 3 servos in the tail. One of which is a Hitec digital (10Kg) for the rudder as I had to make an extended rudder pull-pull servo arm to get it fully outside the fuz and was worried about losing torque by extending the arm by 10mm each side.

I also added an additional ply plate in the tail and fitted a Sullivan tailwheel as I wasn't too impressed with the standard one.

Your OS 1.60 will have a bit more grunt than my MVVS so should be fine, but at half the price I ain't complaining.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Pete850

Well, I had 3 flights with the Giles today and it was everything I expected. Wind was about 8- 10 mph straight up the runway - perfect conditions.

First flight I had a dead-stick after about 5 mins, which was my fault as I had the tickover a bit too low for a new engine that's barely run-in. Had plenty of height so took her round in a nice big circuit to lose height, keeping the nose down to aviod a tip-stall. Lined her up with the runway and keeping the nose down until about 6 ft when I started to flair to a very gentle landing.

Second flight - tried a few big loops and checked the roll rate, which was just nice on low rates and fairly brisk, but not rapid, on high rates. As the ailerons are quite small I wasn't really expecting anything startling.

Third flight - few more loops and rolls and tried some knife edging - very easy and the MVVS has enough grunt to climb in knife edge. She tucked slightly to her belly, which I'll mix out for the next flight.

Landings are a very straightforward as long as you keep the speed up.

Couple of observations for those who are contemplating this bird:

1) Make sure you fix the spats securely with a ply backing plate and a couple of screws to stop them rotating. I found out the hard way.

2) The trim on the wings and horizontal stab has started to come off - I guess I should have sealed the edges before attempting to fly. I may try and put some more on but I'm having a real problem trying to match the green colour.

Thats about it for now. Flying the Spit tomorrow but will be back on the Giles next weekend (British weather permitting).

Cheers for now

Pete
Old 07-24-2005, 11:00 PM
nitro wing

Thanks Pete
Mine sits in the living room..but I may have some cash coming soon to finish her up.So in the meantime I look forward to the flight reports from you.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:24 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Check my avatar, it is the 96" Giles 202 from GSP. It had some issues (minor ones) but all came out fine. I bought this as an ARC and put a BME 102 on the nose and I will say with confidence"it is one of the best performers I have ever flown"
Old 07-31-2005, 01:43 PM
nitro wing

Cool..I was wondering about the larger ones..looks like GSP is catching up in designs and quality
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Pete850

Hmmm...that 96" 202 looks nice. Who makes it? I couldn't see it on the CMPro website, which is where GSP get most of their range.

Put a couple more successful flights on my Giles on Sunday - great fun. The engine's starting to loosten up a bit now. I flew the Spit first just to get my thumbs "warmed up" then took the Giles up. I really do get more and more impressed with it every time I fly it.

Still getting used to it really, so a bit more KE and mild aerobatics. I'm looking forward to hearing about you guys wring it out a bit to see just what it's capable of - I haven't got the bottle just yet!!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
nitro wing

Thanks Pete,was hoping for another flight report.
Do the ailerons remain effective at slower speeds and landing?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Pete850

The ailerons seem very effective right down to touchdown. But as I have said previously, at the moment I'm keeping the landing speed up a bit. Next weekend I'll try some High Alpha and stalls and let you know a bit more. When will yours be ready, as I'm a bit loney here at the moment?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
nitro wing

Good..
If you like,you can wire me a some money and it should done 48 hours after that..heheh just kidding.I got the motor and Bisson exhaust now.waiting for more funds for the remaining servos.Will build by own CF pushrods etc.
So mine will be just pretty furniture for awhile,.hope to hear more positive flight reports.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Pete850

Hi all,

Flew the CMPro Giles 202 1.40 again at the weekend with an 18x6 prop. Big mistake as I'm only getting 7,800 out of it. This gives me more thrust but a very low top speed (45mph ish). I'm going for a 17x8 next as I really felt the 18x8 was just a bit too much prop.

The plane flew fine though and I love the way it KE's and stall turns with that huge rudder.

For anyone htinking about building one of these, I'd really recommend a digital servo for that rudder. If I had the dosh, I'd have them all round.

Must try and get some in-flight shots soon (it's always a bit difficult holding the camera in one hand and the tranny in the other though).
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Good report on the Giles Pete. I too fly from a paved runway,,, but nothing like your's. I'm jealous.
Did I remember you posting sometime ago that it was an abandoned WWII airstrip ?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:07 PM
nitro wing

Thanks Pete.
Mine is assembled and running now,but still waiting for more servos to arrive.I only have maybe 4-5 hours left on it.She is a good looker and I am quite exited to take her up.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:07 AM
Pete850

Hi Guys,

I fly at Thorney Island on the UK south coast near Portsmouth.

This is a quote from an MOD website:

"Thorney Island was first used by the Royal Air Force in 1935 and was a fighter station and base for Coastal Command during the Second World War. In 1984, it was taken over by the Army and it is now the home base for an Artillery Regiment."

It is a big flying site, probably one of the biggest paved sites in the south. The only down side is that we can only fly at weekends as the Army use it during the week.

There are usually only about 15 there, which means you can usually get in as many flights as you like. The wind often comes in from the south and so you take off right over the sea, which is great until your engine cuts and there's no height to turn. Luckily this hasn't happened to me yet, but it has to others.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 PM
nitro wing

Finally have mine 110% ready.Weather is real bad.I am ready.OS 160 Vp 30 with APC 18x6W going on as soon as TruTurn arrives.JR radio ,Hitech 645 MG's .She is one of the best color schemes I have seen.Will have more on flying soon.

Name:	Yw68176.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	335228  
Old 10-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Pete850

Looking really good Nitro, can't wait to hear how it flies. You'll love it I'm sure.

I've only had about 20 flights on mine, but I love it. The MVVS is bedding in a bit now, plus I'm getting a bit more used to the feel of the plane. Landings are a breeze, with no tendancy to snap at all.

Let us know how you get on soon, and some more photos too.

Cheers

Pete
Old 10-08-2005, 09:14 PM
nitro wing

Thanks Pete!
Just got back from the field today.
Took off ,went into a spin and she went straight in..[X(]
Just kidding.
I took my time on this one,built my own control rods,pumped the motor and did a thorough engine break-in.
I went over this thing countless times,rechecking everything,threadlocking every nut and bolt,checking fuel lines etc.This Giles drove me nuts,waking at night,tossing and turning.Even took a day off from work,just to get a good long day into building.
I just suffered a major total loss on my GSP Katana,which was caused by large oversight on my part.That is one reason why I was little nervous and cautious.Also the Giles required a few hundred extra $ to get airborne.
I put the CG bang on to manual but upped the throws and dialed in some expo all around.
She took off at 1/2 throttle and tracked nicely during climbout.2 clicks of right aileron on my first circuit and she was flying hands off.The motor is a OS 160 with pump and is new.She sounded great and ran well,just a touch rich during acceleration.Landed fine,settled in on its own and kissed the runway.

Flight number 2.Took off into a 800 foot vertical climb at 80% power and put it into a smoooth flat spin.Very nice.I had a Zinger 18-6-10 up front,which is not a high performance prop.The APC 18-6W wil go on soon.Knife edges are pretty and effortless,point rolls are precise.

Flight # 3.Motor ran smoother.50% power enough ,stupid (read excessive) power in uplines.Snaps are quick and precise.Tumbles are a joy.By now I am very comfortable with this plane,in fact this is a really honest fun machine.
I aint no 3D pro but I think in the hands of some of the reckongnized pilots she should be a great performer.At 11.5 pounds,it is not too far off ideal weight.
Did some hovers but fell out as motor response was rich,but plenty of pull power even with the Zinger.High Alpha went well.
I have never put a plane through such an agressive routine on it's first 3 flights. The Giles 202 put a huge smile on my face.I love this hobby,Often there are bummer frustrating days.But today is one of those feel good/rewarding ones that make everything so worth it.

Name:	Ge95403.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	336206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32901.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	336207  
Old 10-08-2005, 09:31 PM
nitro wing

My girlfriend took video.I'll go through it and post a clip..
Old 10-08-2005, 11:45 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a sharp Giles. The Giles is one of my fav airframes, after the CAP of course

look forward to the vids

matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.