Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

bad reciever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:04 AM
brokeneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad reciever?

Well, yesterday I got to the track earlier than anybody else so I decided to go ahead and get in acouple practice laps befor the track got crowded. Everything was going great till I did a high speed cartwheel for about 10yards..I fliped it over, checked to see if anything was broken and checked my steering, everything seemed ok so I took off and probally got half way around the track when it lost steering! jumping the black tubing and landing upside down..I ran over and and killed the engine, brought it back to the pits to look it over when I noticed my throttle servo wasent working either! I figured since both stoped working maybe my battery was dead..I charged it got back on the track and the same thing happend when I got about half way around, steering went out than throttle...when I would bring it over to the pits sometimes my steering servo would start twitching like crazy..Id turn it off,open my battery box and make sure eveythings hooked up good, and it was, Id turn it back on and it would work for alittle bit than start acting up again... so I checked my crystals and they seem fine...I just turned my car on a few minutes ago here at the house and everything seems fine, both throttle and steering work perfect.
Im kinda stuck as to what it may be?..any suggestion would be awsome ...thanks
Old 08-07-2005, 11:10 AM
rc car CRAZY

Default RE: bad reciever?

Maby youre havig radio interfirence with something.

Ben
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
brokeneck

Thanks for replying,
I thought interfence too at first..would interference make the throttle an steering just stop working? It never would go WOT when this was happening ..so that kind confused me too. I remember last summer I had interfence acouple times with another rc of mine and it just took off at WOT...
Im going to take it to the track today and see if the same things happening..

O I just thought of something...theres constrution going on close to the track..ya think im picking something up from them?
Theres 2 other guys with same frequncey as me tho and they had no problems?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:29 AM
rc car CRAZY

Yeah, and they also twitch a lot. It sounds like it was interference.

Ben
Old 08-07-2005, 11:47 AM
J_Bone
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe try using another crystal. I have seen them break, with no signs on the out side.
Construction can do it too!!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
casper7

My son had the same thing happen to him, it turned out to be the crystal was not inserted tightly enough and came loose.

Mike
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 PM
L2Pro-Racer

I had practically the same problem you did and i bypassed my on/off switch to see if that would solve the problem. Instead of plugging the on/off switch into the receiver, i plugged the receiver battery directly into the receiver and it worked just fine. Try that and see if it will solve your problem.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:18 PM
J_Bone

ORIGINAL: L2Pro-Racer

I had practically the same problem you did and i bypassed my on/off switch to see if that would solve the problem. Instead of plugging the on/off switch into the receiver, i plugged the receiver battery directly into the receiver and it worked just fine. Try that and see if it will solve your problem.
yup, the switch is another problem spot.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 PM
brokeneck

Well......no luck guys..I tried everything except the switch thing( I forgot, yea Im a DA)..I got some good news and some bad news, BAD news is my buggy did a runaway(WOT) and jumped a 6 foot burn and hit a trucks windshield, GOOD news is I saved a bunch of money on my car insurence!! sorry just had to say that....the real good news is it just left a scrap on the windshield and the owner was cool about it! didnt break anything on my buggy either...as soon as it hit the truck in went back to normal(full control) so my dad ran over and picked it up and soon as he picked it up it went straight to full throttle, no steering either! I bought another JR xr3i radio and reciver from a guy there thinking that was the problem. Put it in ,charged my battery and everything seemed to be good again..my dad was carring it over to the starting gate and I lost control again. My dad killed it brougth it back to our stand and checked everything..we put in a fail safe and got back out there...I did great for the first 2 laps(I was leading) and it lost signal again, didnt go full throttle tho, it just kinda idled to a stop..fail safe never came one..my dad picked it up and started walking back toward me and it got full control back. I killed it and droped out of the heat. Im going to order a new switch,the one in it is brand new but Im going to get another an change it.
Heres some stuff im pondering on that I think maybe wrong...
1. Bad servos
2. Bad switch
3.My anttena(sp?) wire touching the metel thing that screws down to hold the anttena tube in on top of the battery box.
4. Defect in my hump pack.
Any of these sound responsable?
all help is very thankfull.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Super_Dave

Deffinatly bad on/off switch. If the fail safe had no effect than the only possibility is the power was turned off. Its happened to people at that track I go to a few times. If you take a good hit off of a big jump just bottoming out or tumbling switchs just seem to fail for some reason. Its a rare problem depending on what switch you use but either plug straight into the reciver or buy a new switch and that will fix everything.

I use the switch that comes in the traxxas revo on my kyosho mp777 and it never failed. Its taken a solid dead stop hit at 40 from a metal steak sticking through some pipe on the track enough to break the metal steering knuckle but thats really the only beating the switch took other than normal racing. You get that convinent charging port too .
Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM
brokeneck

little stampy...
you know the part number for the revo switch? or a link to a web site that sales them?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:07 PM
brokeneck

it was a bad switch! thanks guys...
Do you use a charge switch or just hook the battery straight to the reciever every time?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Super_Dave

I don't have a part number for it but tower hobbies should have the switch. I just like the charging port because you don't have to disconnect anything just plug the charger in and let it charge. For a while I didn't use a switch I ran a wire from the reciver to the outside of the box (making something like that is easy just get the ends you need and solder them together) where I would plug my battery in and hold it down with something like a zip tie to make sure it wouldn't unplug.