Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Debut takes a tree nap

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Debut takes a tree nap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debut takes a tree nap

I have been flying a fxhobbies cirus for awhile, their version of the debut. You can see the build pics here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3172383/tm.htm . Last weekend I had a rough landing, tied it up into the fence at the field. No major damage was ready to go again after about ten minutes in the garage, or at least I thought. Yesterday morning I took two of my spads to the field, flew 3 tanks threw my easy-goer and decided to take up the Cirus. Now running with a TT .36 pro instead of the LA .25 I started with . Did my preflight everything checked out (I thought), sent her down the runway full throttle coming to the end and she's still on the ground! Something not right here usually hops in the air after about 50 feet! I give it some elevator still on the ground, little more and it finally gets up, climed to about 50 feet and started a turn, somethings not right here! Aeilerons are working but hardly nothing on the rudder and elevator. Heading straight for the woods I cut the throttle but could only roll the plane, not feeling good now. Then it happened, the most awfull sound you have ever heard, plane meets tree. Found the plane with half of the wing attached, the other half about 50 ft away. Broke the prop and firewall, but no engine damage beyond that. Never found the landing gear, tree gods ate them I suppose. Scratching my head all the way home on what happened, I started to tear the plane down when I got there.

Found what the problem was, when I got tied up in the fence the week before, the servo tray was damaged and flopping around in the fuse like a fish! What a dummy I am, never thought to check it. Called Frank at FX and he said that should not have come unglued, he's sending me some parts to get it back in the air for no charge. Anyway here are some pics, sad ending to a really sweet plane, ill get anouther one up soon [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48907.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	322654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92106.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	322655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14502.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	322656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60499.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	322657  
Old 09-11-2005, 11:27 AM
pocatosaras

Default RE: Debut takes a tree nap

Bummer. Thanks for the info, gives us all something to think about. I hope you ger her up again......
Old 09-11-2005, 02:11 PM
RC-Captain

if you did a preflight check then it must have came loose when you attempted to ROG.

This the servo tray shifting is common in small electric airplanes.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Horizon

One of the servos fits very tight under the on off switch for the reciever. Im thinking the load of taking off broke it loose the whole way.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
MrGreenSpeed

The Spad technique of using double sided tape and a zip tie or 2, will withstand way, way , way, more abuse than any servo tray.
Just food for thought.
Jeff