Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultra Sport + "In Stock"

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Ultra Sport + "In Stock"

Old 10-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes Ultra Sport + "In Stock"

Tower is listing it in stock. I hope my LHS gets the one that I ordered soon. Anyone else expecting one of these?
Old 10-30-2002, 05:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This WILL be the next kit I get! I am a big fan of the original. Unfortunately, I have two projects on the table already this winter, but with a little luck, I'll have some time in the spring!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Mendes

I just read through the construction manual on GP's website. Looks like a real easy build. Sheeted tail surfaces! The only mod I think I will do is to use a carbon landing gear mounted on the fuselage instead of the wing mounted wire gear (I hate those). I plan on using an .80 4 stroke in it so I might have to tail mount the rudder servo for balance. I can't wait to get my hands on this!

I have a couple projects on the go right now too, but I have two building tables for a reason
Old 10-30-2002, 11:42 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the original Ultra Sport or that new 3D one? Man I want to find a Ultra Sport 1000 to build! What happend to all the big lowwing sport planes? Looks like the Sig 4 Star 120 is the only one left.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:46 PM
Mendes

It's the new 3d one.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:49 PM
AmishWarlord

Ah I see. Well, double the weight and use the an engine in the lower range and that should take care of those nasty flight characteristics like hovering and flying around nose high at 5 MPH when the thing should fall out of the air at that speed.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:27 AM
Legend4

I have one on order at my local hobby shop. Hopefully it will be in friday. I can hardly wait! Thanks for the good news.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:11 AM
David_Moen

I was thinking of getting one of these for a winter project, but I am conflicted about the landing gear. The wire landing gear options look plain goofy, and I'm not sure if retracts are the way to go either. Do servo operated retracts add much weight to a model? Are there reliability issues? What do you think it would look like with some nift CF gear? Anyone have any Photoshop skills to mock one up?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:04 PM
Mendes

Here is what I intend to do with the landing gear. It will be swept back, Hangar 9 Aresti style. This plane needs wheel pants too.

I think I just found the landing gear I will use

http://www.bollyprops.com/Landinggear.html

The F3A Std .60 swept.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33179_1902.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	20993  
Old 10-31-2002, 03:09 PM
David_Moen

Cool! Looks like I may have to go to Victoria to visit my sister - and this "Bolly" place as well!
Old 10-31-2002, 05:08 PM
MinnFlyer

I was torn with this decision too. I gotta admit that it looks good with the swept fixed gear, but I put retracts on all of my originals, and ya gotta admit that this looks pretty good too...

Note to Amishwarlord: GP recently re-released the US-1000. Give Tower a shout, I'll bet they still have them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33195_7722.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	20994  
Old 10-31-2002, 05:29 PM
Mendes

It does look great in the air with retracts up. I'm not a big fan of mechanical retracts though, if this were a 1.20 size plane I would go with some nice Robarts. Who knows, I might change my mind when I get the kit.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:19 PM
David_Moen

Still undecided about the gear.

Did you guys check out the comments that a fellow made in the manufacturer's support form regarding this plane? He seemed to have some affiliation with GP and new a fair amount about the plane.

I am considering building this thing as a second plane. I have an OS 46 FX to put in it, and I want to buy a comp. radio too. Set up with the lowest of the three rates or perhaps dual rates between the low and high throws, or even the high rates with some expo thrown in to mellow things out, I think that this thing could be very cool. Down the road, should I feel the need, in goes a 4 stroke and bump the rates up to 3D and it's a helicopter!

I've been sitting on the fence for a month, but I think I'll get one ordered up today!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:24 PM
Mendes

I have been watching that thread in the support forum. It turned into a real joke, and fast. Why someone would be complaining about a kit they haven't built, flown or seen fly is beyond comprehension. GP is keeping a design alive by updating it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 3D is what people want these days.

Anyway, the US+ will be a pretty hot second plane. I built a Sig Kobra as my second plane quite a few years ago, I didn't have any problems with it. Your other option would be the GP Super Sportster, fantastic airplane.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:32 PM
David_Moen

When you say "pretty hot second plane" do you mean hot as in "good" or hot as in "too fast for a trainer graduate".
Old 10-31-2002, 09:38 PM
MinnFlyer

I wouldn't use an Ultra Sport + as a second plane.... Not a good idea. Maybe a third, if you're really good with your second.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:11 PM
David_Moen

GP is promoting this plane as a second aircraft, and there has been other info posted on RCU that would seem to confirm that. I guess the wise choice would be to wait untill a few others have built/flown the airplane before I order one. On the other hand, I'm very confident that I could get one built OK, then get my instructor to buddy-box with me on the plane untill I've got it figured out.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:49 AM
AmishWarlord

Woohoo!

http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpma0425.html

Thanks for the heads up MinnFlyer! You just made my day!

Man I can see it now! My Ultra Sport 1000 Twin!

Old 11-01-2002, 02:18 AM
Mendes

Originally posted by David_Moen
When you say "pretty hot second plane" do you mean hot as in "good" or hot as in "too fast for a trainer graduate".
I mean too sensitive for a trainer graduate. But as I said, my second plane was a Kobra, not what most would consider a good choice for a second plane but I had no problem with it. I did the test flight myself, and it was uneventful. I guess what I am saying is you could get the US+ but you would probably be better off with a Super Sportster.

I am sure someone will be able to put this thing together within three weeks. Wait until then and get some feedback from someone who has flown it.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:33 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I want one to try my first 4 stroke in, Looking at maybe a Saito FA-72 or OS FS-70 II Surpass but leaning to the Saito so far. Putting it on my list for Santa but want to read some reviews on it first and retracts might be the way I go too.

Dauntae
Old 11-01-2002, 11:35 AM
Joss Stick

Default Think Bigger

"I want one to try my first 4 stroke in, Looking at maybe a Saito FA-72 or OS FS-70 II Surpass"

Don't think a 70 class four stroke will work in this beast. More like a 1.20-1.60 4-stroke. With it's 80 inch wing it's a brute. Wish I had one.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:41 PM
IronCross

I ordered mine from Tower yesterday... Ordered some Dave Brown retracts to go with it. I like the clean look with the gear up... Still have to make an engine choice. I have an Irvine .53 (real stumpuller) sitting here without a plane. Other choice would be a Saito .72.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Legend4

Mike it is only a .40 size plane with a 58.5" wing span.

I am going to put the Saito 72 in mine. I have the engine in the Pizazz right now and it has more than enough power for 3d and rocket like vertical. It is also the lightest in its class. You won't be disappointed with this engine.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:37 PM
IronCross

Legend4
Kind of waiting to get the kit and find out how the balance turns out to make a final on the engine... Hate adding dead weight to these things :-]
Old 11-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually went to check the wing span after the 80' post, Had me shakin, No room for a 80' plane in my hanger. Here is the link to the plane http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0390.html

Dauntae

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.