Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Suggest some 60s low wingers

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Suggest some 60s low wingers

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:40 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggest some 60s low wingers

1960s that is. I know very little about low wing planes of that decade except for the more famous ones like the Candy, Kwik Flis, Skylark, Orion, Taurus.

I just started construction on my Sr. Falcon and I'm already planning my next project. You know how it is. I'd like to build a really good flying low winger of the vintage R/C era. My only criteria are that it has a built-up wing, has ailerons (I could always add them), is stable and isn't ugly.

List your favorites - and the plans source if possible.

Thanks,
David
Old 10-02-2005, 09:13 PM
kdheath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggest some 60s low wingers

Brett's Perigee, the DeBolt Interceptor, Jim Kirkland's Beachcomber are some that jump to mind. The Interceptor and Beachcomber are on the AMA Pond list.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:47 PM
CoosBayLumber

A few folks have mentioned wicked experiences with the Perigee. The Interceptor is much more faster, accurate, but it too has a few years of development to base upon. I make parts for both, but have sold more of the Interceptor.

There are other "good for one year Only" designs, which got ink in the magazines for about one year, but persons today may never know they ever existed.

Wm.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:39 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Visit this site and look at the planes list.
http://www.vintagercsociety.org/
Old 10-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

David,

If you want to open up your criteria a bit to include fiberglass fuselages and foam wings, I kit 3 planes from the 60's right down the road from you. These planes are the New Orleanian by Jim Edwards, the T2A by Tom Atkins and the A-6 Intruder by Jim Kirkland. I've attached pictures below. Let me know if you would like any further information. All 3 fly really well and are Senior Pattern Association legal birds.

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft

From left to right: New Orleanian, T2A MK I, A-6 Intruder
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24119.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	333277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69114.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	333278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61186.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	333279  
Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

How about Art Schroeder's (not sure of spelling) Eyeball? It was a mid wing, zero/zero set up that was radical for its day. AMA has two different plan sets. maybe one of them has a bult up wing. It's my next nostalgia project.
Walt
Illinois
Old 10-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

David,

If you want to open up your criteria a bit to include fiberglass fuselages and foam wings, I kit 3 planes from the 60's right down the road from you. These planes are the New Orleanian by Jim Edwards, the T2A by Tom Atkins and the A-6 Intruder by Jim Kirkland. I've attached pictures below. Let me know if you would like any further information. All 3 fly really well and are Senior Pattern Association legal birds.

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft

From left to right: New Orleanian, T2A MK I, A-6 Intruder
Hi Dan,
Have you done anything with that Hartman Zeus yet?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Mike Denest

How about this one: Blackwell Models Raider 10. .60 power with strip ailerons. There's nothing special to look at but it is a great flyer. I think it is on the Pond list.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Hi,

What's the price and how can I order an Intruder?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
rainedave

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I was browsing the RCM online plans listings; the DeBolt Encore and Bridi Sun Fli IV caught my eye. Is the Interceptor similar/better than the Encore? I'm assuming the Sun Fli is a predecessor of the Kaos series.

Can anyone post a pics of the Interceptor, Perigee and Raider?

Deadstik, those are beautiful planes. My current budget restrictions (between jobs!) forces me to scratchbuild from plans until things change.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Mike Denest

ORIGINAL: rainedav

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I was browsing the RCM online plans listings; the DeBolt Encore and Bridi Sun Fli IV caught my eye. Is the Interceptor similar/better than the Encore? I'm assuming the Sun Fli is a predecessor of the Kaos series.
Search through here and you will see a long discussion on the Interceptor and Encore.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 PM
kdheath

Well, here's the Perigee. This is Brett's Word Champs plane that is in the AMA museum.

Name:	Fc90093.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	333351  
Old 10-03-2005, 03:57 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

The Sun Fli series is the forerunner to the Kaos series, very easy to build and fly quite well. I few
Sun Fli 4's in several VRCS events and fared quite well, best in class for concours one year and a pair of seconds in Cl 3 pattern. Up until a few years ago Joe Bridi was still selling these kits and they are still somewhat common on eb*y. They would be my first choice per all your criteria.

I have deBolt Encore plans, it is later than the Interceptor, looks easier to build but thats about all I can say.
The Interceptor just looks cooler.

The Sultan is also a pretty 1960's model and it is on my winter build list. Plans available from AMA/Pond I believe.

BEWARE RCM- I think they are out of business. Last magazine was the June issue. You may order plans and never get them!

Old 10-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Deadstik

Tony,

Sent you a PM with prices. If anyone else is interested and would like a brochure of my vintage birds, just send an email to [email protected] and I will get the info out to you as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 10-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Deadstik

Mike,

Funny you should ask... I have just started the mold making process on that Zeus fuse. Lots of filling/sanding and of course have to fill in the motor cut out.. but.. no problem.. it just takes time. I am pulling a Sr. Falcon fuse this week ... should come out ok.. I'll post a pic when it is done. Am still trying to get a Banshee fuse.... think I have found one.. but... just hope it works out. Take care,

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM
HVACMAN
My Feedback: (127)

DELETED
Old 10-03-2005, 07:58 PM
rainedave

These suggestions are all great designs. I'll need to let them percolate. While searching for pics I found this nice directory on the web:

http://skystone.biz/pictures/

Tons of photos and scans of plans. The images are small but good for reference. Scroll down past the file names that start with "-" for the alphabetical listing. Here're two examples:

http://skystone.biz/pictures/debolt-interceptor-pln.jpg
http://skystone.biz/pictures/candy-rc-pln.jpg

Do these files belong to anyone in this forum?

Thanks,
David
Old 10-04-2005, 05:59 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

what about the vk cherokee lou anrews sportmaster,maxey hester king cobra while a scale plane then i would say a port model now
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM
CoosBayLumber

David:;

I think the Skystone fellow has been selling on eBay for some months now. The seller has been giving out the wrong story on the DeBolt Interceptor. He is often mixing in various elements from here and there inot one story. I know of three folks who have corrected him on it, but zero changes.

He is selling the initial Interceptor, and claiming it to be the latter. If you take a look at the below link, you may be able to see how there are a few differences between the initial and later ones. The tail feathers are different and the length is different.

http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/intercp.jpg

While Pappy DeBolt was still alive, he labeled many of the differences between the versions of the Interceptor over the internet forums.

Wm.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:23 AM
kdheath

Another one I have in my stash of to-do-someday plans is Ted White's El Gringo. TEd was one of those Texas balls-out flyers and great fun to watch. There is also a 40 size El Gringito.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-436
Old 10-06-2005, 07:34 PM
rainedave

kdheath, that El Gringo is a cool looking plane. In fact, I haven't seen one from that era that I don't like. I finally found a pic of the Eyeball. MAN plans have foam wing. I could always convert it to built-up.

Which gives me an idea. Animated gif software generates or renders the frames between the first and last by "Tweening," sort of like morphing. If one took the root and tip rib templates for a foam core and created an animated gif with, say, 12 frames, the software would tween (render) 10 frames that progressively change from the first to the last (12th) rib image. So, you would end up with 12 rib templates that would make a tapered wing... in theory. You could even use a thicker tip airfoil to provide a bit of extra tip lift.

For those not familiar with animated gifs, they are basically like old cartoons where you had a different drawing for each step in the motion. An animated gif is just a file that includes a number of "stills," so to speak, that when viewed in rapid succession give the illusion of motion. An animated gif as I described would be a set of 12 stills that transition in size from root to tip.

I'll play around with this in Photoshop and see if it works.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Mike Denest

ORIGINAL: kdheath

Another one I have in my stash of to-do-someday plans is Ted White's El Gringo. TEd was one of those Texas balls-out flyers and great fun to watch. There is also a 40 size El Gringito.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:PL-436
Hi KD,
That one is a later updated version. The design originally goes back to around 1961 or so. I have a copy of American Modeler with a small plan of the original design as a tailgragger. I scanned the drawings then imported it into Autocad then traced the outlines. I'm almost finished with the plans but need to do some wing rib lofting as yet. Here's a peek at what I have done.

Name:	Zx70894.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	335311  
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 AM
kdheath

I'll be darned, Mike. I thought I was maybe the last one remembering the Gringo. Neat!
Kelvin
Old 10-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Mike Denest

Nah, just next to last! One of these days when I'm satisfied with the airfoil shape I'll finish the plans and build one. Ted used the bottom half coordinates of the NACA 2412 for his airfoil. I'm messing around with that now. When I have some time, I'll load that into my Profili software and generate a wing.

It should be a good flyer with a .45 or similar size engine.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Mike Denest

ORIGINAL: HVACMAN

If anyone is interested I have a Orion kit in good shape. Plans are old but kit is all there.I also have a Tauri box, plans and most of the punched dies.I would like to thin out my collection, I will consider trades.
Hi HVACMAN,
I might be interested in the Tauri. I'll send you a PM about it.

Off this thread topic, a while back on our favorite auction site, I saw a built up model that I thought may have been a low wing coversion of the Tauri. Does anyone know about that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.