Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Giant Telemaster Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Giant Telemaster Build

Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Telemaster Build

I'm finally getting around to starting yet another Telemaster, the Giant. It's the only one of the Telemasters I haven't built.
I have just started on it, but I have to say the wood supplied in this kit is first class stuff. Machine cut ply parts, all bagged by specific area where it's used, great sticks, and Laser cut ribs. Looks like this will be a fun build. Assuming that the box it came in weighs about a pound, there is 12# of balsa and ply in there. I plan on adding split flaps inboard of the ailerons just for kicks.
The instructions says it is a builders kit, and I would say they are pretty accurate. Definitely not something for a first or second kit.
the pics are of the kit itself out of the box, second one is the start of the spar build up.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72989.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	354596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90290.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	354597  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Telemaster Build

Would this be the new Hobby Lobby kit?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:10 AM
rryman

Would this be the new Hobby Lobby kit?
============Yes, this is the new one, for electric or gas. Supposed to be about 24# target weight. but with over 3000sq. in of wing, I'm not really worried about the weight thing. I'm using gas, so will probably reinforce the front end accordingly if it appears to need it.
Randy
Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM
BiilS50

Hi Randy,

Keep us posted on the build.

You won't need to reinforce the nose for gas power.

Craig
Old 11-15-2005, 07:02 PM
rcreddude

What is this thing you're talking about?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:34 PM
rryman

This little "stick and tissue" model is what we're talking about! Hobby Lobby Giant Telemaster.
I can tell you, I had to rearrange my building area to accomodate the build. I got the main wing spars built last night, and am working on the fuselage longeron build ups now. Going real well.
I'll post some more pics when I start getting some bigger pieces put together. Since I've been in RC, I've built a mini-Telemaster, 3 Telemaster .40's, two Senior Telemasters, and now this one.
Randy
Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
rryman

DUH!! Forgot to post the picture!!!!!!! I think this one was taken at the NEAT Fair in NY earlier this year.

Name:	Wu61709.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	355056  
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

I'm working on a tele 40 now,the plans and instruction sheet needs a little more work parts of it are very confusing but we are plooding thru it.I really do not have room for that big monster here either in the shop or my car.Can't what to see yours done.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
BiilS50

Yes Randy, that pic was taken at the NEAT fair. A close look at the nose area will reveal the carborator cut-out for a G38. Obviously unacceptable power for NEAT. The electric power installation worked well and flew the plane with authority.

Craig
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 PM
rryman

It's absolutely incredible what they've done for and with electric flight in the last 5 years!

I hope this Tele flies as good as the Senior. I have done "hands off" landings and take offs with both the Senior and .40 size versions, in perfectlly calm conditions, of course. Another fun thing to do is to climb to about 500', cut the engine and call out "Dead stick", then land 5 or 6 minutes later!! They are definitely fun airplanes.
Randy
Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 PM
tsekoa

rryman

What engine will you be using on yours? I ordered one also. Should be here on Friday. I was thinking about the OS FT-300 twin four stroke for power. I have also built two senior telemasters over the years. I think that I may need a small trailer to get this one out to the flying field. A good winter project.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:52 PM
rryman

What engine will you be using on yours? ......................

==========
I did have my eye on a US 41, but got a good deal on a barely used G-45, so I'll be using that one. Yep, good winter project indeed. I have this one and a Contender to build this winter. I should get the center section of the wing done tonight.

Randy
Old 11-16-2005, 05:05 PM
tsekoa

rryman

Take your time. Spring is a long way off. Keep those photos comming. I will be watching your progress. Does anyone sell Monokote or Ultrakote in bulk rolls that you know of? I can only find 25 foot rolls so far. A 50 foot roll would be nice.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
rryman

I don't know of anything longer either. I'll probably go with Ultrakote once I decide on a color scheme.
Randy
Old 11-16-2005, 11:24 PM
rryman

Tonights project, build the wing center section. Had to study the plans and instructions a bit, but it all came together. I inlaid 1/32 ply backing plate on the top hatch where the screws go in, to avoid crunching the balsa-probably not needed, but I put them in anyway. I've used this method on other kits so it's kind of a habit. Also punched out all the wing and stab ribs while waiting for epoxy to dry. Maybe get a wing panel built tomorrow night. Punching out the ribs wasn't any fun at all. You don't have the pleasure of having to cut around each one with an exacto knife like you do when they are "die-crunched"! These are laser cut and virtually fall out of the balsa sheet! Took all of 5 minutes for all of them!
Randy

Name:	Ay74231.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	355646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63489.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	355647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88158.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	355648  
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 AM
BiilS50

Randy, That wing center looks great. I have to say your a fast builder. keep the construction pics coming.

Craig
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 PM
CTDave

rryman,you have built a tele 40.I am trying to get tru one now my ? is have you put the rudder and elev in the back on any of yours.This plane looks like it will come out nose heavy with my 48 up front and I was wondering if these in the back will not only shorten the rods and make it easier to run control rods but also help with balancing.My only worry is the stick style fuse back there and the support it will need
Old 11-17-2005, 11:23 PM
rryman

CTDave,
I have neve put the rudder or elevator servos in the back on the 40 size Tele. I doubt it will come out nose heavy with a .48. I would be careful about putting stuff in the rear as long as the tail moment is. The last one I had I flew with and O.S. .40LA, and had to add some nose weight to get it to balance. I upgraded to a .65LA and initially put some lead in the rudder to balance it, but later I removed it . The Telemasters I have had have a wide CG range to operate in. You are also right about having to put additional wood in the back for servo support. I just used golden rod and mounted the servos under the wing cavity.
Randy
Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 PM
rryman

Started wing panel build up. Parts fit to plans and to each other is excellent. Should be able to complete left wing in another evening. It's starting to get bigger now! Each aileron measures about 6" wide and 34" long! Horizontal stab about 48" across. The wife walked in while I had the plans unrolled on the floor and her first response was "Oh My God!" I have decided to abandon putting inboard flaps on and using flaperons instead. I have the Senior set up that way and it works fine.
Randy

Name:	Ge96698.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	356125  
Old 11-18-2005, 05:25 AM
CTDave

Thank You I will stick with that,on the rudder and elevator they want me to sand the whole thing to a tri shape but I can never get that right can I just leave it flat and cut some lightening holes in them? I figure it is a trainer and would not really matter.Just trying to get that wide and big of a surface to a tri shape is tuff.I got the wing panels joined last night this thing is like a kite with a motor lol
Old 11-18-2005, 05:31 AM
CTDave

Oh I almost forgot why such a big platform for the tail group? seems to spoil the lines at the end of the fus.I have seen bigger planes with less back there.Just wondering what the reason was.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:10 AM
BiilS50

Randy, The wing panel looks great and you really are a fast builder. I would really like to know how many hours you have in to this plane when finished. Keep us posted.

Craig
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 AM
rryman

...................can I just leave it flat and cut some lightening holes in them?
One way I do it is to draw a centerline along the Rudder and elevator, and sand to that on the rear, and round to it on the front. Cut in your hinge slots in the front before you round it, it will be easier. On some planes they recommend not tapering the rudder or elevator to a point at the rear. Being a Telemaster, I'm sure it will work just fine if you leav it square.

why such a big platform for the tail group?
The Telemasters I built in the 70's and 80's were built heavier-has sheeted sides, etc. The .40 was lightened up for electrics (my opinion). If you're referring to the platform under the horiz. stab, it will need it. My Senior is very flexible back there, and doesn't present any problems. These planes aren't what you would call "speed demons"!

Randy
Old 11-18-2005, 08:33 AM
rryman

I would really like to know how many hours you have in to this plane when finished.

=====I always keep a diary of my build progress. If I remember correctly, I have about 17 hrs. in it now.
I'll keep you up on it.
Randy
Old 11-18-2005, 01:06 PM
sscherin

My 40 Tele came out slightly tail heavy (80's kit) with an OS FS 61..
All that took was an OS Spinner nut on the engine to balance out.
That one was slab fuse sides with the tail section mostly stick built and sheeted top and bottom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.