Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

TWIN ELECTRIC VTOL PLANE (OSPREY V22)

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

TWIN ELECTRIC VTOL PLANE (OSPREY V22)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
vtolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWIN ELECTRIC VTOL PLANE (OSPREY V22)

OK who wants to make an easy to build, twin electric plane which can take off or land both horizontal (conventional) or vertical as a helicopter.
It can reverse taxi and do donuts, piroette in hover, transition to forward flight easy without switching.
It hovers similar to a fixed pitch heli.
You can practice hover safely by holding its tail.
You can slow up in flight and practice short hovers.
BEST of all it glides and lands without power.
OK it looks nothing like the OSPREY V22 but for what it is, it works great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14581.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	370959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76188.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	370960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79477.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	370961  
Old 12-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Pneuman

Default RE: TWIN ELECTRIC VTOL PLANE (OSPREY V22)

I like. well done!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! I'd love to see some building technique and video!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:08 AM
MerlinII

I do [sm=thumbup.gif], looks very interesting.

MerlinII
Old 12-21-2005, 04:49 AM
vtolman

Ok where and how can I post a mpeg video ASF format.
I constructed it with counter rotating props 10 x 4.5 from Todds models.
Two AXI 2212/26 motors for low revs high torque, better thrust.
2 @ gyros for pitch and roll, 2 @ 25 amp ESC, 2 @ VEE-TAIL OMNI mixers one for pitch/yaw mix, and one for roll/throttle mix, 2 @ 4Kg servos for pitch/yaw servos on each motor.
One elevator servo 9 gram (hovers, transitions and flys with out it, but not quite as well)
One 2600ma LiPo 196 gram battery.
Transmitter 4 channel minimum (throttle curve helps with sensitive hover)
Flying weight 950 grams
Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Deadeye

vtolman, specs sound good. By my claculations, that translates to about 30 ounces here in the USA.

As far as the video goes, mail it to [email protected], and I will be happy to host it for you.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Scompiani

very awesome vtol man
send us the plan and the video
and i have a question to ask you, the throttle stick control, at the same time, the throttle and the rotors' tilt or there are other mixers?
thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 08:55 PM
vtolman

Sorry no plan until I have further interest from others.
To be frank, there is no rocket science to it.
This concept will hover no mater what it looks like as long as it balances
on the spar, I have previously made one with the motors in the center, looking like a normal twin aircraft, and it worked almost as good.
As for it flying, design your own layout, and just keep it light.
I have made 3 different designs and they all fly.
RADIO GEAR 5 chanel - 1 TX program mix slaves the rear elevator servo on say channel 5 to the elevator chanel. However this model will fly without the rear elevator (4 chanels) but it loses a bit of the pitch control only in the inbound transition, requiring a different flying technic, but hovering and flying are OK.
2 external mixers (I used VEE-TAIL omni )and 2 gyros are required.
One gyro stabilizes roll and the other controlls pitch, and strangely enough yaw stabilization is not needed, unlike a heli..
MY SPECIFICATIONS TESTED
MOTORS - AXI 2212/26 (E) out-runner brushless 57 grams approx-1000 KVA 12 amp rated (low revs and high torque).
PROPELLORS - MPI MAXX PRODUCTS counter rotating pair10 X 4.5 slow flyer. Prop savers with 2 o-rings each. (from toddsmodels.com)
ESC CONTROLLER - Castle Creations newer phoenix 25 Amp with 3 Amp BEC (to run all the electronics) lithium low volt cut out programmable
BATTERIES TESTED - Polyquest PQ-2100XP-3S 2100ma 20 C rated 167 grams or PQ-B2600N-SP 3S 2600ma 12 C rated 192 grams.
EXTERNAL MIXERS - 2 VEE-TAIL OMNI mixers 10 grams each (reversing, end points, offsets, servo slow, exponential,fail safe etc).
GYROS - strangely some new cheap gyros did not work sufficiently. I used old Arcamax peg1000 gyros which hold there signal longer as the model does not pitch as quick as a heli tail responds. BENCH TESTING a servo will travel approx 120-150 deg as you continuously rotate the gyro in one direction - some cheap gyros return the servo to soon or will lose center, and will only give about 60-90 deg travel, this will be insufficient to hover with.
SERVOS - MOTOR TILTING servos- 2@ Hobbico CS-35 mini BB torque-55oz-in, 4kg/cm HIGH TORQUE & FAST
AIRCRAFT STRUCTURE - ΒΌ" balsa tail and fuselage, 2 @ 8mm diameter carbon fiber tubes (tilting motor spar tube and fuselage tube) light arrow shafts
WEIGHT - 920-950 grams (without film covering)
DIMENSIONS - wingspan 48" 1220mm, center wing 29" 725mm, motor spacing 985mm, length 43" 1100mm, height 9" 230mm,
C of G - on the tilt spar tube or maximum ΒΌ" in front of the C of G -30% of wing cord position WING - Clark Y 7" x 7/8" thick (180x20mm)
STATIC THRUST - max 1300 grams -- 45 onces
EFFICIENCY - 15-18 Amps at hover (tested), 14 Amps flying (a wild guess), 30 Amps at peak power (tested), using 80% of 2100 or 2600ma cells 7.5 - 9.5 minutes hovering minimum (tested), 11-13 minutes plus flying (a guess).
(WARNING disable one red or positive wire on one only ESC lead plug so only one ESC is supplying the BEC power)
The TX elevator stick both tilts the motors forward and moves the rear
elevator. The rudder stick moves the motors opposite each other only about 10-15 deg for yaw. The aileron stick mixes 12-15 percent extra throttle to each motor for roll. Throttle is both motors together.
THE KEY IS the throttle ESC mixer plugs into the gyro, as you can not mix from your TX unless you used 4 gyros I think?.
Like wise the yaw / pitch mixer (tilting motor servos) plugs into one gyro also)
As for video I only have 3 mpeg 10 second videos.
But I need somewhere to host them.
Kingsley
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29178.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	377672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35131.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	377673  
Old 01-02-2006, 02:47 PM
awood12345

Hi,

I'm about to make an orprey for indoor flight and saw this thread. I think I have way round it it but how do you control pitch in the hover as when the motors tilt shurely the fuselage would pitch up or down with out moving the airframe backwards or forwards?

My email for the videos is [email protected]
or you could host them for free on putfile.com

Cheers
Alan
Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
vtolman

The fuse can not pitch as quick as the motors tilt.
Yes the fuselage does tilt slightly as you input pitch but it lags and is not significant most of the time.
Occasionally the fuselage develops a larger pitch occilation (ussually created by pilot overcorrections) which is fixed by adding power and forward pitch --- and oddly enough it is also corrected with yaw.
I have intermediate heli skills and it is very easy for me to hover but a beginer would find it a bit more difficult than a collective heli responce.
I am redesigning the motor tilt possitions to elliminte this very issue.
Kingsley
Old 01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Deadeye

Guys, I'm hosting the video of this cool little plane [link=http://designerimages.net/Video/RC/RCU/VTOL%20TWIN%20Hovering%20Videos%20010.asf]here.[/link] Enjoy!