Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

V24 OWNERS:Mods and Solutions

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

V24 OWNERS:Mods and Solutions

Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
smallfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V24 OWNERS:Mods and Solutions

As a V24 Owner, I want to start a thread about modifications and solutions for this boat. If any other owners (you know who you are) want to add stuff feel free. If you want to tell everyone about your cousin's friend's uncle's nephew who knew a guy that saw one, start another thread. I would like to keep this thread going in a forward direction.
Greg
Old 01-15-2006, 10:02 AM
WheelPantz

Default RE: V24 OWNERS:Mods and Solutions

Hi smallfish,

I recieved a V24 from tower and waiting for better weather to run like others. I like your mods, especially your 'home' run in with a garden hose. A buddy of mine and I was talking of doing this for my boat. I am curious on what material you used for hook up, to go from garden hose to three tubings. This will be a good thread I will keep an eye on. Thanks for any help.

Rich
Old 01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
smallfish

Rich,
I dont have a bill of mat'ls written down, but its pretty simple. All the parts can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. Go to the tubing and small brass section and get nipples and fittings to build a manifold with three hosebarbs for your cooling lines. The fourth hole in the manifold needs to adapt up to a valve and a female garden hose fitting. I did not use this for extended runtimes. I just wanted to start the motor and check idle and throttle cable settings. There is a thread somewhere around here that has pics of a similar setup.
Greg
Old 01-15-2006, 02:28 PM
WheelPantz

Thanks,

This is not for extended run time, but more for low throttle first start up, tuning, and adjustments before it goes into the water.

Rich
Old 01-15-2006, 02:40 PM
smallfish

cool, Could you look at your throttle cable where it exits from the radio box? Is the plastic tube square with the servo? Mine was offset towards the center about a 1/2 an inch. It was putting a bind on the cable and twisting the mount on the servo arm. I took a dremel and slotted the hole to center it up. Check it out

Greg
Old 01-15-2006, 04:48 PM
WheelPantz

Yes my cable is the same, the cable is line with servo arm. With the connecter on servo arm, this puts cable too far to center of radio box. There is a bind when going to idle side but with the flexible cable I don't know if it is excessive binding, its more cable bending, but it could have been better mounted in radio box.I also noticed transmitter at lowest speed it looks like throttle is about half even with end point adj. at minimum. Is this right for the throttle to be so high at low end

rich
Old 01-28-2006, 02:32 AM
rcnut84
My Feedback: (-1)

Good Idea for mods threads. I own 2 of these boats. They are good but you need to strip them down and redo (loctite) alot of stuff. The first main problem and probably the biggest is that on both boats that I own the throttle servo setup from Factory only lets the throttle body open 2/3rd full. Its makes you wonder how many boats are running out there being called slow only because of factory linkage screw up? Anyhow I will post mods and setups for this boat as I put more run time on it.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
smallfish

Grant,

Thanks for the input. As soon as I get my motor back from Warranty services I'll check that out.. A casting defect (air pocket) in the head cracked all the way through, shutting me down for awhile. Did you check the motor mount screws on the aluminum rails? I had one stripped out. Also had a pinhole in the manifold weldment. Greg
Old 01-31-2006, 03:03 AM
hpiguy

Subscribed to keep up to date on the boat. [8D]

BTW I too noticed the throttle linkage was screwy.

I have three minor mods planned before running. One is to drill out the rudder water pickup. It seems way too small. Second is to relocktite everything as listed before. Third is moving the water pickup hose for the head from the rudder to one of the trim tabs. I think it will see much more water that way.

The rudder pickup will be used for the exhaust ring cooler as it seems to be the least crucial to running temps of the engine.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Nocturnal

Sounds great, let us know how it comes out.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:09 PM
smallfish

hpiguy,

I like the water pickup idea. I didn't notice any difference in the three streams when I ran mine,but your right about that hole. seems too small. I am going to install rubber grommets in the water tube holes for looks. Hopefully I'll get my motor back soon and be back in binness.
Greg
Old 02-04-2006, 09:06 PM
jworm49

smallfish i was wondering what you could tell me about the V24. I am looking into getting a gas boat and the price on the V24 is great. I'm also looking at the Super G and Shockwave 55 ss. Sofar most say yo go with the Super G over all I think I like the Shockwave the best. I have a Shockwave 36 and like that but most people are telling me to stay away from Pro Boat. Also I love the looks of the V24. Some say that the so called bat boat design is unstable. What would you say also how fast is it? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:20 PM
hpiguy

There are two nice videos on the big V24 thread on this forum.

It turns like it's on rails at full throttle. There are zero problems with straight line tracking and turning stability as senn in this video.

Listed under "Hobbico new boat ........ ". Page six I think is where the videos are.

R/C Driver has a claim of 25mph in rough water. They also have gone on to state later that the throttle cable was only allowing them to go to 2/3 full throttle due to improper assembly. My boat and another customer (at least) has also noted that the throttle was not opening all the way. Fix that and run it in smooth water and you'll see mid 30s.

The video confirms that also.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:22 AM
jworm49

aren't thouse speeds a bit slow for a gas boat? The super G claims about 35-40 and the SW55SS about 45. Just wondering.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 AM
smallfish

jworm,

This may sound a little bi-polar but I really like the boat despite the fact the motor is in warrenty repair for a cracked head.
Fit and finish on hull and hardware are really good.I changed the things I didn't like,and got a tank or so of fuel through it before it croaked. Cant give a realistic speed, but 30 0n smooth water with no mods is believable. Good luck on whatever boat you choose.

Greg
Old 02-05-2006, 01:02 AM
hpiguy

Mid 30s is a tad slow for a gas boat, but then again this is a RTR boat with LOTS of optional features that sells for under $690 when you use the discounts shipped w/FM radio.

The Super G is faster but is $150 more at $799 PLUS SHIPPING of $40+ and has LESS features and no radio. Add FM radio, 1/4 scale servo, regular servo and add another $125 MINIMUM. So now the price difference is $275 between them.

So for $275 more you get 5 more MPH on top end. Not worth it to me.

And seeing as it's sold by Hobbico I can go to any hobby shop and order parts and I can call Hobbico at any time with warranty issues. The engine has a full 3 year parts and labor warranty on it in the V24. See if WHH will warranty a 3 year old engine for you no questions asked.

Those other boats are awesome. No doubt about that. But for the price I paid I'm very happy with my V24 so far.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:26 AM
jworm49

thanks for the info. What do you mean about optional parts though. I see what you mean about the price of the boats. I'm looking to spend about $1000.00 all together so I'm just trying to find the best boat for that kind of money.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:41 AM
hpiguy

The V24 has a water cooled cylinder head, header and exhaust manifold with triple water pickups. Allowing a closed hatch for a cleaner look.

It also has a radio adjustable outdrive if you add one servo. Allowing you to adjust trim while running from the radio. The outdrive can also be hand adjusted with some screws, not sure if you can adjust the angle of the drive on the others by hand.

AND it has a tuned pipe, a very expensive option on the Super G.

The V24 has really nice trim tabs also, but not sure if the other ones do or don't.

The Super G is air cooled, open hatch hull with a can muffler and the exhaust shooting straight out the top. If you want to water cool it you need to buy a whole new engine (I think as I've been told) and then buy the tuned pipe ($100 minimum) and all the water pickups, header and mount it all. There is also no way to make the outdrive radio adjustable without a HUGE mosification to the boat if even at all possible.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 AM
wave waker

hey guys, anybody made the clutch and water pump mods already? please post if there is..i'm very much interested coz i'm more incline to get V24 as my first gas boat,thanks..
Old 02-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Ocitsalocs
My Feedback: (2)

if you want everything built your way build your own

you would be very surprised at how cheap you can build on of theses boats and still have it look nice

and you get to tell everyone else that you built your own
Old 02-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I finally got to see one Friday at one LHS. The store manager kind of blew his budget on a lot of boats, from ZZR's on up to 2 of the V-24's. Its looks alone will make a presence on any water and you'll have a crowd around you in no time.
It doesn't look too bad for the price and I wouldn't expect blazing performance out of the Fuji, it's not a Zen or Sikk but more closely in the area of a water-cooled Homie. The motors were at one time just a weedeater engine and look similar to if not the Echo's.
Now they just have to sell them to a new boater so that I can give them a hand in getting it going.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

Hpiguy, you don't have to buy a completely new engine for the SUper g to watercool it, all you need to do is mount a watercooled head, a water pickup, and maybe a waterpump if you idle a lot. It does have trim tabs, and you can buy a hatch for it, it's the same hull primarily as the Team Pro, the same hatch that fits that boat will fit the SUper G. I think yiou get quality in both boats, but you just can't beat a Zen for quality, plus it has a clutch.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
jworm49

Frogman
wear can I get a hatch for the Super G?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Ocitsalocs
My Feedback: (2)

what do trim tabs do, do they keep your from planning to much
Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They help to adjust the ride attitude. A little up will loosen the hull on the water and a little down will help it stick to the water to keep it from blowing off in rougher conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.