Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

SG Mantua Formula 1 Restoration Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

SG Mantua Formula 1 Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM
-zapper-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SG Mantua Formula 1 Restoration Project

Well, i am currently working on restoring a SG Mantua Model Formula 1 car. It going fairly well and should be finished by Spring! Man I can't wait to finish the rebuild, this car should prove its self to be fast! It is an italian car, and is very rare and expensive. however I picked it up off a member of BYT back in august for $80 ! After I get it running and operating it will have a whole new body design (meaning im gunna strip the paint off and repaint it , or have it painted for me) it runs an OPS .21 is RWD and is belt driven. the fuel tank seal is shot, and it has no radio gear (RX) and no PS.

PICTURES:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula002.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2239844

Name:	Formula004.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	2239845

Name:	Formula009.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	2239846

Name:	Formula010.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	2239847

Name:	Formula011.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	2239848

Name:	Formula012.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	2239849

It has a very unique shock absorbtion system...under the red plate in the front, there are rubber spacers b/w the two screws that hold the chassis and the plate together, kinda works on a pivot...so it has flex in the front, the rear has nothing though.

Whats done now (Updated from time of pics):

The servos are mounted and the throttle is set I got an extra reciever from a friend and its mounted and functions properly

NEEDED:
I need to build a linkage for the steering servo, I need a fuel tank cap (I found a Lightning or OFNA cap works), I need a starter (savage one is supposed to fit, I'll check it out at my lhs soon), I still need new tires, the ones on it are driveable but ripped and wouldnt last long, I need to realign the engine too...other than that its almost done!

Equipment in use:

Im using a HiTech HS-635HB for the steering and an Airtronics 94102 servo for throttle control. Duratrax RX-100 reciever. An Ofna 1400mAh RX pack. Other than that its stock. Can't wait to rip the pavement with it!

UPDATE:

ok well here are updated pics...the engine is off cuz im going to the LHS tomarrow with it to pick up a starter...also on my list...gas tank, 10 mm C Clip, ball caps, and an on/off switch 8).

Name:	Formula002.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	2239850

Name:	Formula006.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2239851

Name:	Formula003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2239852

Name:	Formula004.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2239853

UPDATE:

well, i just got home from the LHS and a few other places...i got the ball caps and studs for the steering, antenna tubes i have, and fuel tubbing..as for the starter i ordered a Yank Eliminator...i hope it works..ill need to go buy a cordless drill though...oh well. and as for the fuel tank...im working on it..no one has anything close to it so far so i think im gunna fab up some stuff to make a Mugen tank fit...

UPDATE:

i just tried putting my violator's tank on it...FITS PERFECT ill have to tap a spicket into the pipe for back pressure but thats no big deal...also the primer will be going cuz i wont need it...

Originally the fuel was fed tot he carb from the bottom of the tank, the little pressure line was the primer...however the ofna tank NEEDS constant pressure to push it up through its built on filter and out the hole in the top of the tank. I took off the pressure line and will drill and tap my pipe for the needed pressure.Look at your lightning's tank. the fuel line is on a spicket in the top of the tank. it worksthe same way using pressure from the pipe to feed fuel through. the original tank kinda works like a traxxas tank...

UPDATE:

The pipe is tapped and ready for the pressure line
Old 02-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SG Mantua Formula 1 Restoration Project

Looks good so far, then again, I like F1s.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:16 AM
-zapper-

well my yank eliminator came in today so i removed the
spur and put the engine on the car.

The YE is pretty cool! the oneway bearing is built into the device, so its perfect for the needsof this car! only set back is sand/dirt if it gets in the end, will kill the oneway...but thats why we keep a can of WD-40 handy right? LOL

i tried starting it, it makes the whole brap brap noise, but
then i noticed the glow ignitor read bad. so i threw it on the
charger and will try again tomarrow wish me luck!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:52 PM
-zapper-

I got up this morning, and have been waiting with anxiety for the day to start....and finally....IT HAS! so i got my drill out and put my YE on it, nabbed an extension cable plugged it in at the top of the stairs and threw the other end down. grabbed the drill plugged it in. Almost to the fun! i run back up the stairs grab the car, jump down the stairs in excitment (i tell ya it was like a 3 year old an' christmas!) hooked my starter up to the engine, started trying to start it...then with a loud BRRRRAAAAAPPPPPP the engine roared to life!!!!! BRRIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i ran up the stairs in complete wow and yelled to everyone with joy!

IM SO HAPPY! this is one of the happiest days of my 16 year old life!

i still have to shim the clutch and get a clip for the spur, the ones i picked up at Sears were too big...other than that this beast is ready to rip the pavement!!! now i need to search for a large smooth parking lot...the local Price Chopper moved so i might use their old parking lot, and the Indian Nation owns Ames Plaza, the parking lot sucks (has like 6 foot wide, 3 foot deep pot holes) but i heard they are repaving!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:37 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That thing looks very nice, just be careful not to crash it the first time you "open 'er up!".

Also do the routie checks - radio check, steering, throttle brake etc PRIOR to running the car, you don't want a rookie mistake to ruin your day!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:46 PM
-zapper-

haha...yeah i know..im no rookie..i just dont post much..LOL

but yeah thanks for reminding me
Old 02-18-2006, 01:50 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: -zapper-

haha...yeah i know..im no rookie..i just dont post much..LOL

but yeah thanks for reminding me
I can tell you're not a rookie from your posts, but everyone makes the occasional rookie mistake - often with devastating consequences.

I know i made a few...
Old 02-18-2006, 01:52 PM
faster321

yes better watch it there cyle, we dont want any rookies to get hurt, after you get done drivin your LSR, either one of your other maxxes, or one of your other nitro trucks, you know this one is much different, it makes experienced RC truck fanatics complete noobs in a matter of seconds, better watch it there my friend
Old 02-18-2006, 01:54 PM
-zapper-

yeah LOL! i suppose everyone makes little mistakes...worst thing i have done, i put the fuel down under the car to keep it out of the sun, and forgot about it...ran over it when i went to go home...DOH! almost a full gallon...i tipped it against a tree drove home, grabbed 3 half gallon cans, and tried to save as much as possible...LOL! DOHHH!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
-zapper-

ORIGINAL: faster321

yes better watch it there cyle, we dont want any rookies to get hurt, after you get done drivin your LSR, either one of your other maxxes, or one of your other nitro trucks, you know this one is much different, it makes experienced RC truck fanatics complete noobs in a matter of seconds, better watch it there my friend
LMFAO!!!! thanks for the heads up chris! LOL
Old 02-18-2006, 02:02 PM
faster321

no problem my fellow temporary banned friend of BYT....