Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado XP not shifting to 2nd gear

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado XP not shifting to 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:34 PM
wildspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado XP not shifting to 2nd gear

Run the car this weekend full trottle and notice that the car was not shifting....

After making a search on the forum, I found that their is possibility to adjust shift point.

Is it the same way with the redcat gear system ?? turning the hex screw behind the gears counter clockwise for earlier shifting.

Can another problem could cause the car not to shift.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM
platinumchopper

Default RE: Tornado XP not shifting to 2nd gear

yeah someone answer him..... btw how can you tell if it shifted to second or not, does it have a sound difference or somthing? i cant tell if mine is....
Old 02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
tnkrchobby

Hi Guys,
I had the same problem with my buggy. First, let me say what I suspect causes this problem. Could be a number of things, but I'm pretty sure this is what caused mine to malfunction, I got the car airborne held the throttle wide open and let it land with the throttle wide open. What happens is when the wheels leave the ground and you've still got the throttle trigger buried, the wheel speed shoots up very high then when it comes back down the wheels catch and are forced to slow back down almost instantly and this puts a ton of strain on the entire drive train. The shifting mechanism must be the weakest link. So, if you can help it, avoid doing this.

As for repairing it, if your lucky it could be just an adjustment. If so, loosening (CCW) the adjustment screw should make it shift sooner, and tightening it (CW) should make it shift later. Make small adjustments, no more than 1/4 turn and then run it to see the results of your adjustment.

However, chances are, if it was shifting fine and then it suddenly quit shifting it's going to need more than an adjustment. Good news, the shifting mechanism is only $7.00 plus shipping. You can try to repair it if your savvy with repairs, but for the cost I'd just stick a new one in and be done with it.

Another possibility...there is a small tab that sticks off of the face of the smaller of the two gears in the center of the car. I'm talking about the two straight cut gears that mesh with the clutch housing on the engine. If that tab is broken or damaged you would need to replace that gear. $6.00 + shipping.

Platinum chopper, you should hear a change in tone of the engine when the car shifts into 2nd gear...just like a real car.

I am a dealer for Redcat cars and will be glad to sell you any parts you may need.

Hope this helps!

Trent
Old 02-25-2006, 01:04 AM
platinumchopper

thanks man
Old 02-26-2006, 10:57 AM
wildspeed

Thanks
Ordered the new parts
Hope will resolve the problem.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 AM
krazd360

did turning the screws help you
Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 AM
wildspeed

Received the new gear change system and install it, after some screw adjusting the car is finally shifting right (the original part was just not working..).
Now I need to tune the car hns so it doesn't sputter (and shut down sometime) when running on second.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:54 PM
krazd360

IM WAITING ON THE NEW GEARS NCE I GET HE I ILL BE GETTING IT ALL TUNED WITH THE HELP OF EVERYONE ONE HERE I JUST WISH THEY WOULD MAKE ALUMINUM GEARS INSTED OF PLASTIC
Old 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM
platinumchopper

they are made plastic for a reason: The first reason would be a decrease in speed. A steel spur will weigh more than a plastic one. This translates to a higher rotating mass, which will take more effort from the motor to turn. This will result is a loss in torque and speed, and while it may not be dramatic it's something to consider.

The second reason is much more important. The weakest link in the transmission will fail when it is overstressed. Although it can happen, it is very rare for a differential or transmission gear to fail first. This is due to physics and the properties of gears in motion. In reality, the plastic spur will strip first 95% of the time. It is much easier to replace a stripped spur than to take the transmission or differential apart and replace a gear. It's also possible that, without the plastic spur to give out first, the piston rod may become bent. Especially if the rest of the drivetrain is made up of metal gears.

If you are having a problem with a large number of stripped spur gears, you need to examine how you are setting up your drivetrain. The first thing to check is your Pinion/Spur Gap. This is the most common cause for a stripped spur gear. Another thing to examine would the Slipper Clutch, as a nearly tightened slipper clutch can also result in a stripped spur gear. Also a little common sense helps as well. Don't land from a jump at full throttle as this can easily strip a spur gear. from (misbeahinrc .com)

Old 03-06-2006, 08:12 AM
krazd360

i guess you have a point but the gear stripped after 6 tanks of gas and 4 of them were from breaking so i wasn't even going fast
Old 03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
jeeperscreapers

ok you say to turn the adjustment screw...... which one is it..... if you notice u can actually adjust the screws from underneath the car.... but if you look from the bottom it is 2 screws and not one..... i got to foolin with them and now mine doesnt shift at all lol... it used to shift after about a 1/8 a mile
Old 03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Xeller8

Then turn them the other direction....lol
Old 03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
jeeperscreapers

i've tried turnin em both back... one back.... then the other back.... i cant figure it out... startin to wonder if my clutch isnt broke
Old 03-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Xeller8

Well...if the clutch is broken I would think it wouldn't move at all or wouldn't sit still...

Wish I knew more to tell you but I don't have one of those so I haven't been able to dig into one to see what makes it tick....I'm just taking shots in the dark...lol.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
jeeperscreapers

it wont set still.... i was thinking my spring breakin on my slice clutch was causing it to move... so once i replace that it still might not set still if the actual clutch is broke
Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what gear did u buy to make it shift? I am having the same problem with my damn tsunami it is on first but damn its crazy
fast. I tried closing it and then screw it out a bit little bit by little bit and no luck here.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

02045 is the replacement clutch for the 2 speed. Here is a link if this is what you need. http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-Clutch/Detail
Old 07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got mine to shift, now motor seem to act funny, it should be the weather, i aint gonna tune it when its hot because when its cool i need to tune it beside plastic muffler is a joke. Cant withstand california heat. But it works hehe.