Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

PRIMUS Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PRIMUS Build

Here is the beginning of the Primus build. This is what you get in this fine kit. I elected to change the vertical stab design to improve its looks and to make it sleeker. I'm also going to make it a taildragger and use a larger canopy to improve the looks and help with knife edge flight. I bought an OS .61 two stroke which is light and will make the balance easier to achieve. More to come later.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: PRIMUS Build

Skip,

I’m really looking forward to your build and I agree on the kit quality!

Jeff has done an outstanding job on his kits and we are really blessed that he would invest so much time, energy, money and talent in the kit production. I have one of his Kwik Fli III kits and find the workmanship excellent and I’m pretty picky about kit quality.

I just hope enough people buy them to make it worth while for Jeff to keep the kit production going. Kit manufacturing is a very, very difficult business to operate (especially the classics) and I’m sure he would appreciate us all showing our support of his work by buying a few of his kits.

There is certainly a high level of interest in this RCU “classics†forum so it is just possible there will be enough demand to keep kit manufacturers interested in producing neat kits for us. There are a number of “classic†kit manufacturers listed here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3053513/tm.htm

Now back to your build!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Skip

The only beef I have is that fiberglass fuselages aren't available for most of these kits. It would be a real time saver. Skip
Old 06-27-2006, 12:59 PM

All of Dan's ( [email protected] ) kits at Carolina Aircraft are glass. T2A MK I, T2A MK II, T2A MK III, Tanglefoot, New Orleanian, A-6 Intruder, Equalizer, Patricia, and the Brushfire.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip,

Is this your dig about why I haven't gotten the glass Taurus fuselage finished?????>>>>LOL.....

always one more to do...

Dan
Old 06-27-2006, 03:57 PM
windslore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan,

I believe I have a glass Taurus fuselage! It's a little more rounded than the original but the basic shape and
size is there. I'll dig it out of the attic and take some photos.
John
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Skip

Preparing the fuse for formers and ply doubler
Old 06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Skip

Yo Dan!! No malice intended. I was referring to Phoenix's, Atlas, EU 1 A, and Bridi designs etc. etc. . I know what you have and I enjoy doing business with you. Skip
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Skip

I have gone off on a tangent here. I will be making the plane a taildragger so I have eliminated the nose wheel assembly on the firewall. I had to move the firewall aft about 3/4 of an inch to accomodate the OS .61 with the rear needle valve assembly. This might give me some grief later on with respect to the c/g. The muffler on this engine is large and very effective. Here you see the 1/2 inch angled balsa and the formers in preparation to be glued.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Skip

The fuse goes together very easily. I am going to have a problem though getting the tank to fit between the narrow former because I moved the firewall back. A round tank will solve the problem. I am getting ready to join the fuse halves and have beveled the tail area as per the plans.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:08 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Skip, this is going to be a great thread to watch. It's looking nice so far. In the first pic you posted, at the very top, sitting on your green cutting mat, is that a pre-shaped top block? Does the kit come with it pre-shaped?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:53 AM
Skip

Yes, There is a pre-shaped and hollowed top block. Along with other laser cut parts this is a fairly simple plane to construct. If you do as I have done, that is make changes as in firewall position, taildragger vs. tri-gear, vertical stab redesign etc. it will add to the workload. But building it as designed is a snap due to Jeff's work in his plans. I have yet to build the wings but they look fairly straightforward. This latest picture is my method of joining the sides square. I wish I had a fuse jig but Gator hobbies was hit by a tornado and it may be a while before I can get my hands on one. I am just as able as anyone to make a mistake in a build project so I don't recommend doing what I do necessarily. You may have better abilities than me. Skip
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Referring to your first picture, looks like there is a lot of "fin changing" going on---I did the same with my Taurus, and it looks and flys very well. I left mine a "trike", and side-mounted the engine. There is a photo of mine on approach, and another with Jeff's Taurus prototype.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95280.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	484586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77575.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	484587  
Old 06-29-2006, 12:01 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks for the photos of the 'fin' changes. Have you noticed any difference in flight? I like the looks of the modified fin better.

turbo
Old 06-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Skip

You did a great job on these planes. I like taildraggers so I am going to modify my plane as such. I am also going to use a much larger canopy for knife edge effect and looks . I debated using the side mounted engine but thought I would just stick to the original to save some work. Skip
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: kingaltair

Referring to your first picture, looks like there is a lot of "fin changing" going on---I did the same with my Taurus, and it looks and flys very well. I left mine a "trike", and side-mounted the engine. There is a photo of mine on approach, and another with Jeff's Taurus prototype.
kingaltair

Very nice and I’ve seen pictures of your work before. As I recall you found a canopy for it too. Like you, I’m fan of side mounted engines and nose gears on the classics.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 PM
kingaltair

I think the hinge line on my fin is more vertical than the one Skip is using. It was mainly done to make it look a bit more modern, and to improve knife-edge flight. I'm still essentially a beginner, but an expert pilot who has flown my Taurus was able to do slow rolls, 4-point rolls, knife edge, even figure Ms with it. It was absolutely great to see what an accompliched pilot could do with a Taurus--- in spite of the semi-symmetrical airfoil the Taurus uses. IMHO, this is a wonderful plane to fly under low or moderate wind conditions.

I also removed about 1/2 of the dihedral, as a side-by-side comparison shows.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:11 PM
kingaltair

That's right 8178-----I did find a canopy for it, and it changed the whole looks of the plane to give it more of a Taurus look, (got the canopy from Jeff--I think it's a SIG canopy). One of my regrets, is that the great Dick Pettit photo of the approach doesn't have a canopy. The picture was taken at a VR/CS meet last year, and at the time the "static" picture was taken, the plane had never been flown. I now have 83 flights on it, (yes, in this one case, I've actually logged the flights in a log book[X(]).
Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Skip

Going to leave the fuse for a while and build the stab and wing. I need access to the open fuselage to adjust the dowel hole for correct incidence.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:11 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I have seen round tanks rotate from vibration, twisting the fuel and vent lines to the point where the fuel line eventually pulls off of the carb needle. Any mounting technique that would prevent this rotation would transmit vibration to the fuel tank which could cause fuel foaming.

Do yourself a favor, put the firewall back where it belongs and get an engine without the rear mounted needle valve. Or, figure out how to install a square tank in the same space. It can be scotched into place using soft foam sheets which will not let the tank rotate or pick up engine vibration.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:10 AM
Skip

Thanks for the warning regarding "round" tanks. Actually the tank I am going to use is from a friends' deceased ARF and is oval, not round. Unless you go with exactly what the designer has used, there is always some experimentation. That is what makes this hobby fun. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose but I always learn something. Skip
Old 06-30-2006, 06:17 AM

Skip,

Great thread! It is pretty neat how well all the laser cut parts fit together.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Skip

Here's the completed stab with the unfinished elevator halves. At first I didn't like the construction of this part but when it was completed it was very strong. Two widths of elevators are offered in the kit. I elected to use the thicker ones.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 PM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip, this thing is really shaping up quickly! Lookin' great. I hope you can drag yourself out of that workshop long enough to come to Chattanooga!
Eric Nessler
Old 07-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Skip

I am coming to Chatanooga. Hide the women and children. !! Close all the bars. Skip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.