Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Enya 60X model 7101 - carb questions

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 60X model 7101 - carb questions

Old 07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
buckorogers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 60X model 7101 - carb questions

I bought this Enya 60X a few years back on an auction, but since I fly mostly electric these days, I decided to auction it off again. I want to make sure that the next owner can use it. Some pictures are attached. Hope that you Enya guys can help me out with these questions.

1. The engine seems pretty beat up on the outside. I opened and stripped it to clean and inspect the inside. It looks pretty good and still has all the compression I think it should have. The inside of the sleeve shines like a mirror with no visible wear. No parts seems discolored by heat. All the bushes are tight. The bearings spin freely without nicks. What else should I be looking at inside?
2. The back-plate (and front casing) had a thin gasket which was torn when I dismantled it. Some of my other engines do not have gaskets. Are these gaskets essential or was it the previous owner's choice?
3. I think this engine may have had carb issues. It looks like some of the pieces are not standard. Specifically the screw on the front side of the carb. Looks like it could be the idle adjust screw. See the detail in one of the pictures. Should this be a needle?
4. The throttle horn also seems non-standard. Any comments on that?
5. Last, the muffler has a swivel plate that exposes two holes if rotated. What is this for?

Will be happy to get some comments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp45000.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	493506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39446.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	493507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15740.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	493508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55865.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	493509  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:24 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Enya 60X model 7101 - carb questions

Looks all original to me...looks good...except...is the high speed needle bent back a little bit?

Oh, and I think that rotating plate on the muffler is so you can squirt some fuel in the exh. port for a prime if desired? At least that's what the "old timers" () told me it was for on my .29
Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

Looks standard, and yes the backplate gasket is required. The crankcase must be sealed for the engine to run well, and that's how the backplate is sealed.

Take Care
Larsen
Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
buckorogers

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear everything looks standard. The needle is not bent but the screw (air bleed) is bent a bit. The carb is turned slightly to one side. Is the gasket paper generally available somewhere? What type should I be using as replacement?

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As proptop said, the swivel plate is just to give an exhaust prime. You never need it but that's been a feature on Enya mufflers of all sizes since Adam was a boy

That carb isn't original because it should have the midrange lever like the one in the photo. I'd think it's probably from the earlier baffled piston Enya 60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23295.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	493617  
Old 07-19-2006, 02:02 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can make a gasket from heavy paper...not too heavy obviously, but maybe like an index card, printer paper, or something in between...
I have made my own gaskets, but unless it's nessessary for a certain (tight ) clearance issue, I'd use silicone.

By too tight a clearance, I mean crankpin rubbing on the backplate...you might need just that little bit provided by the paper gasket?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Daryl_y

The Enya 60 I have has a carberator identical to Buckorogers (without the midrange lever) I still have the box although it only says 60x on the casting the box says "60XF-4 AL type" The engine is all original and was bought new around 97-98 so I am betting that engine is around the same vintage.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

You can get new gaskets from MRC. They are about $1.00 each.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
buckorogers

Hmm, thanks for that bit of info Daryl. Does yours also have the number III stamped on the side of the one engine mount?

Thanks Skypilot_one. I was in a bit of a hurry to get the motor started, so I used notepad paper and cut two gaskets from that. It should hold up for a while.

BTW. I started the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544725]same thread on RCGroups[/link] (and found some of the same folks visit both forums ). Apology for the cross-post, but there are some interesting comments out there too.