Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

anyone tried the new 'UPSTAR' MOTOR GLIDER FROM hOBBICO ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

anyone tried the new 'UPSTAR' MOTOR GLIDER FROM hOBBICO ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 PM
cal.45acp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone tried the new 'UPSTAR' MOTOR GLIDER FROM hOBBICO ?

I'm thinking about buying the new Hobbico "Upstar" motor glider any one flying one yet
Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 AM
wsnowfall

Default RE: anyone tried the new 'UPSTAR' MOTOR GLIDER FROM hOBBICO ?

i thought of buying it but hanger 9 came out with their electric Aspire. It has won glider contests at our club. the 2m sailplane aspire was considered the "best" first glider. I upgrades to an outrunner brushless and love it.

In Cincinnati i have heard good things about the upstart/
Old 07-31-2006, 03:50 PM
skyhawkz

I just finished putting an Upstar together last week, haven't had time/weather to try it in the air yet, but here's the report so far.

Background... I am an experienced R/C pilot, and fly mostly .46 sized planes but also a GWS Pico Stick for more relaxed times. I decided on a EP glider to fill the void on those lazy Sunday afternoons. (really wanted a Hot Liner, but can't afford one just now ! )

The UpStar certainly seems to be a lot of plane, and related parts, for the money invested.

The UpStar went together easily with no major construction issues. I used mini servos, so sealed over some of the laser cuts in the tray and cut my own smaller servo holes within the area where the larger servos would normally go.

I found the prop was badly out of balance, the plane initially shook violently at anything above 1/4 throttle. Some shaving and balancing solved the problem. One blade was about 2 grams heavier than the other... a lot for a prop of that size. Once balanced, with a freshly charged battery, static run-up shows a current draw of 21 Amps at full thrust.

I found that the plane built up quite nose heavy. A call to Hobbico support confirmed that these planes typically need weight added to the tail. After repositioning the tray as far back as possible and the battery as far back as possible on the tray, right against the servos, I still had to add 1 ounce of lead to the tail to get balance as recommended. Ouch ! There went most of my weight saving from using mini servos.

The manual is not bad, covers aircraft construction well, but doesn't have much info about the motor or ESC.

If this thing works well I'm going to re-cut the servo holes quite a bit further back in the tray so the battery can be moved back to balance the plane rather than adding weight. For anybody building an upstar, I would recommend shifting the servos, and tray, back to allow more battery movement for balancing. There's lots of space up front, but the servos limit movement of the battery aft to compensate for a nose heavy situation. I am also using a Berg receiver stuffed as far back as possible. A heavier receiver would compound the nose heavy situation.

I'll update this discussion after the first flight, unless it leaves me too embarrassed to say anything !

In the mean time does anybody know what the specs are on the ESC ? It seems to handle at least 21 Amps, and has a jumper with the letters "N" and "L". It came with the jumper in the "N" position. I asked Hobbico if the "L" meant LiPoly, and he said no. But when I asked for more info about the ESC he said he didn't have any info on it yet... ?? The ESC has a safety feature on it, you have to go full throttle for a few seconds for it to enable, then to zero, then advance again and the motor will run. Being more in tune with world of glow engines this had me stumped for a good 2 or 3 minutes until I figured it out by accident ! Any additional info on the ESC would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
skyhawkz

Well, nothing too embarrassing happened last night. I was able to get 2 very short flights in between light rain, wind, and darkness.

The UpStar certainly lives up to it's name. You don't have to toss it, just let it go with a light push forward and it climbs out well. On the first flight the motor ran for 8 seconds then quit. As I was about to touch down, having not reduced the throttle stick (bad habit from glow engines, they don't restart, ever !) the engine restarted, I reduced throttle quickly, but the landing was a bit crooked, no damage.

With the wings and canopy in place the ESC seemed to overheat and was cycling power about every 8 seconds. I moved it more into the air flow from the engine vents and got a much longer run time. In fact I ran it for almost a minute and it didn't shut down. The second flight was better with about a 30 second motor run, but with all of the testing and playing around the battery was pretty much drained. Don't know if the ESC overheated or did a low power shutdown that time. The plane does "float" very well on landing, making S turns necessary and a less than perfect landing again ! But again no damage.

With no ailerons the plane is different than the "point and shoot" sport planes that I'm used to, for sure. I'm looking forward to a fully charged battery and a longer flight next time, and will reserve judgement until then.

John
Old 08-02-2006, 10:56 AM
skyhawkz

Looks like it will be a while before the next UpStar flight. A suspected radio problem turns out to be a bad receiver. Replacement should arrive in a couple of weeks, also getting a new BEC for longer run times... until then back to the Dazzler...

John
Old 09-03-2006, 10:04 AM
[email protected]

cal.45acp
I would recommend against the Upstar motor Glider. If you look at the Hobbico Upstar motor trouble Subject in this forum you will see 4 people whose motor would only run for a few seconds before shutting down. I am 1 of those 4. 2 of the guys replaced their ESC's. One used a e-flite 30amp esc and another guy said that Hobbico sent him a 35 amp esc that was Lilpoly compatable. So that isn't the same ESC that came with the Upstar. The person who posted the Hobbico Upstar motor trouble, technoheli has not updated to say if he ever got his glider motor working right. I called Tower Hobbies twice on August 31 and they say they will send me a new Battery and a new motor this week. I will be calling them again on Tues Aug 5 to request a different ESC. The few short flights I had on my glider were a handful. I was flying in windy conditions and the Rudder was not as effective as it should be. Also the glider comes out nose heavy needing about 1 ounce of tail weight. So until Hobbico fixes the motor problem and nose heavy problem unless you enjoy frustation stay away from this one.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:35 PM
PsYcHoTiC
My Feedback: (1)

I recently purchased an Upstar so I could teach my brother to fly. I have been flying rc planes for 20 + years. I have never had such a bad experience with an airplane as this one. I had the same experience as several have described here, such as the motor having a short run time and then restarting. I called Tower and they sent me a new battery and a new esc. Ok so far this is working out...NOT. The new battery didnt help! but repositioning the esc to the front did. I did not notice any heat or warmth from the esc but I did get more run time with the esc forward. I cycled both batteries on an Accucycle Elite and both batteries performed flawlessly. Tower has no idea what the specs are for the esc and I have 2 nearly new ones for sale if anyone is interested, because today I ruined the Upstar. It would not react to the rudder inputs at all...it just slowly winged over in the ground SPLAT. The fuse is plastic but it has little integrity around the canopy...where it usually deforms. I need some input on a different EP glider for my brother. I won't be buying another Upstar. Oh and btw I also have 2 nearly new 1800 MAh NiMh batteries for sale too!
esc- $12
battery $15
Old 11-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have to get a new wing for my Upstar. Is it possible the speed control is bad and caused my crystal to fail? I put a new crystal in the receiver and it works again but on the first flight with a brand new crystal in it, it went about 100 yards and then rolled right and right into the ground. Electric guys, something I did wrong? I hooked it up like the book said and it worked fine on the build, preflight and range check. I don't know what the deal is.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:53 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If the receiver is bad, the new crystal may have masked it or the receiver may have damaged the crystal.

Sounds like you have the same problems everyone else has.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Desertlakesflying

receiver is good been using it a long time in a few different airplanes. It's never been crashed or dropped or anything. I have a friend who's going to give me a speed control he's been using forever. He's going to all brushless. So, the response I got from Hobbico. We'll replace the speed control if you send it to us. Go figure. They know there's a problem. Why not send me a wing and new prop assembly along with it?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 AM
[email protected]

The Upstar is too heavy with the heavy electric motor and battery. I couldn't control mine either. I replaced the electric power with an O.S. .10 and 2 ounce fuel tank. I used my original receiver battery for powering the receiver and servo's. If you check in this forum (Hobbico Upstar Motor Trouble) there is just 1 person who said his Upstar flew properly with the electric power. He must have been lucky. I have flown my Upstar on 2 different dates since adding glow power. I had 4 to 5 flights each day. It is a docile flyer with the glow power.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 AM
walkermsg

I have purchased 2 Upstars because I liked the first one so well. The L & N on the ESC are for Lipo or Nicad . The servo tray can be moved around to get the best balance for the model. The Upstar is a fast plane and I wouldn't advise it for a beginner. I added some trim on the TE under the right wing to correct a tendency to turn right. I had to give it half left rudder before this to trim it out. The flight time was only 4 min at WOT. After correcting the trim the flight time tripled. It flies into heavy wind and screams downwind, I would guess at least 60 or 70 mph. Only problem I had was keeping canopy on , I used rubber bands and put small screws along canopy edge to prevent sliding. Flies better than any powered sailplane I have flown.
Lee
Old 12-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Desertlakesflying

I love the way it flew for the few hundred feet it did. perfectly stable. just ESC problems burnin out crystals. Esc is set on nicads and it is the battery they supplied
Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 AM
walkermsg

The Upstar comes with a 540 motor. I slid the servo tray back about 1/2 inch from where the factory said to place it. I'm using the HS 81 servos although there is plenty of room for a larger servo. I also left the wing in 3 pieces to carry it easier. I glued the wing brace on each tip and added a small wire rod near TE in holes provided by Upstar. Cover each edge with clear tape and it can be assembled at the field with more tape. I ordered an extra battery's to get longer fling time. I flys in pretty stiff wind with no problem and really goes downwind. I was used to the Easy Glider and now I don't fly the EG anymore.
Lee
Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Johnmpa

I would forget the UpStar and invest in the Great Planes Spectra ARF or RTF. the only problems I've had with this sailplane was the battery that they supply with these sailplane EP ARF's - too little Mah's and poor quality battery. I've had the GP Spectra up for 40 minutes to 1 hours on a good day in Houston TX on an average "warm" summer and I have only been flying sailplanes for 1 year.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Dirty Bad Jim

Hi Folks;

I've got an Upstar with a few flights on it, not a bad airplane but I have one recurring problem. There does not seem to be a brake on the ESC and the folding prop free wheels with the power shut off. Does anyone know how to program the brake on this ESC? My inquiries to Tower in re this airplane have not been answered in a helpful manner, if they have been answered at all.

Thanks;

Jim
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
walkermsg

I own the Spectra and the Upstar. The Upstar will fly well in a heavier wind thanthe Spectra will. Also the Upstar has a sturdy plastic fuse that takes crashes pretty well. I fly the Upstar with an 8 cell mini C battery and get long flights with it. I added a 1/4 oz lead weight on the near the fuse on each side of the horiz stab. I also modified the wing so that each end comes off to fit in my trunk. I glued a piece of metal rod near the TE to help hold it in alignment. Then I wrap blue masking tape around the seam. It comes off easily without ripping the monocoat apart. The battery is a Cermark CP 1700 NiMh.
I can fly the Upstar when there is too much wind for the Spectra which is also one of my favorite planes.
Jim
Old 06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
walkermsg

I forgot to mention I don't believe the Upstar has a brake but if the prop blades work freely they will fold up along side of the fuse when you cut the power. I put a drop of oil on each pivot point on each prop and work it back and forth till it folds without any effort.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
dzq1lm

I bought Hobbico Upstar..., It is very heavy due its NiHi batteries and its brushed motor, I did an update on it, I switched by brushless motor and by LIPO Bateries. Now it is very good. You have to expend extra money to have a good glider.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Dirty Bad Jim

Hi Folks;

Thanks for the responses, I'll try oiling the prop pivots and see if that helps. I have been considering conversion to a brushless-LiPo power system. It would be a tad expensive, but it should remove a significant amount of weight and improve power and run time by a healthy margin. One of those HiMax with the planetary gear reduction driving a 14 inch folder, a Castle T-bird 36, and a 3S 2100mah should do nicely. Now I just have to go rob a bank.

Jim
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
zzmeyer

My upstar flies marvelously. Two problems much discussed: 1) nose heavy - easily fixed 2) had trouble with very quick cut out with esc. Replaced esc with identical one - no joy. Put original esc with identical battery I already had worked fine.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
walkermsg

I have 2 Upstars, my only problem was the wing is too big for my car trunk. I put stick on weights on the tail and a heavier esc and used the 3000 mah battery that I fly in my Electristar (takes 2). It will take a pretty hard crash with only a dent on the fuse. It's one of my favorite planes of all time. I bought a Spectra because the wing can be carried in 2 pieces. Otherwise I would rather fly the Upstar anytime.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought a upstar off of scrach and dent.After reading the forum I decided to modify this one.
I stared with the wing it was cut down the center section then 1/2" foam was added after it was sanded to shape dihedral was cut in and it was glued together now there is polyhedral after this
the center section was glassed using dress lining and white glue thinned.Next was the elevator
which was split into two halves to allow for the larger rudder that was installed which dropped down to the bottom of the fuselage.I installed the radio per instuctions the speedcontroller was
by Castle Creations 25A (had it laying around) and the motor was replaced by a speed demon
2012 the stock battery was used it was moved all the way forward for balance.The first flight it went right out of my hand and had good power it caught a thermal and with out power I was in the thermal for about ten minutes it flew for about thirty minutes and it was landed with batteries left witha little work this a pretty good glider
Old 12-14-2007, 06:16 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a manufacturer makes something and puts it on the market, it's supposed to work, as is, right out of the package. Bottom line is, the Upstar DOESN'T. It's all well and good to make modifications to something to improve its performance AFTER you've flown it initially, but to have to make all those modifications just to get it to fly right the first time is ridiculous.

The Upstar looks good and goes together nicely, but that's about all. You know the old adage - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. That describes the Upstar perfectly.

I've said it in a number of threads on this plane and in my review of it, and I'll say it again. This airplane is a POS. It's not worth the money, and if Hobbico had any kind of a conscience they'd pull it off the market. Don't buy it.

papermache
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: papermache

I've said it in a number of threads on this plane and in my review of it, and I'll say it again. This airplane is a POS. It's not worth the money, and if Hobbico had any kind of a conscience they'd pull it off the market. Don't buy it.

papermache
Ouch!

Harsh words, but at least you are clear on why you state them.

To other owners, if you had to keep it stock, would you recommend it?

Anyone using the stock motor with Lipos? If so, how many cells and how is the motor holding up. I have moved almost everything over to Lipos, but some motors can't take 3 cells and 2 cells is often not enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.