Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Old 08-28-2006, 05:54 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kingcat-Like Design and Build

WOW - Most Impressive!
[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-29-2006, 09:42 AM
jinzo

Like many others I'm sure, I am very interested in this design. I have been yearning for a pusher prop kit version of the Bobcat for quite a while. I was personally hoping for something around .40-.60 size, and I don't really care to mess with retracts, but this design you are doing is probably the closest thing yet.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jinzo

I have been yearning for a pusher prop kit version of the Bobcat for quite a while. I was personally hoping for something around .40-.60 size, and I don't really care to mess with retracts, but this design you are doing is probably the closest thing yet.
Thanks, but the Jett 90L engine selection is for the prototype (mine). The plane will fly on a .60-.75 size engine. Just have to move the hardware around (servos, receiver, battery, etc). The Nitromodels version of this bird is of comparable size/weight to the kit I'm making now and it flys on a 0.60-0.75 motor just fine. The .90 size upgrade is for the speed fanatic in all of us . To convert the "insert name here" to a fixed gear would be easy. Just replace the .25 in gear place with a solid one. Now that I think about it.......I'll include it as a mod option.

Thanks,

Mods

To convert the "insert name here"
One more thing....

I've been busy designing this bird but have no idea what do I call it, so I'll let RCU do it.

What should I name this plane?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

One more thing....

I've been busy designing this bird but have no idea what do I call it, so I'll let RCU do it.

What should I name this plane?

Ummmmm...

Mod-Cat
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM
jinzo

Personally, I'm not that much of a speed freak. I just really love the design and looks of the Bobcat. I would definitely want to do a smaller engine on it, as long as it will still fly nicely. Thing is, I can't get a "standard" engine such as an OS or SuperTigre in a reverse rotating shaft that I know of, which brings up the whole issue of pusher prop selection again.

Concerning a name for the plane, here are a few suggestions off the top of my head. I incorporated your name into a couple since it is your project.

MRM-Jet 90
Mod-Jet
ModStreak
Whiplash
Backlash
Rogue Wave

Anyways, looks like you are doing an awesome job and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Mods-R-Me

I forgot to mention, per my agreement with BVM I can't use the word "cat" in the name, but I like the suggestions so far. Keep'em coming!

Thing is, I can't get a "standard" engine such as an OS or SuperTiger in a reverse rotating shaft that I know of, which brings up the whole issue of pusher prop selection again

True that you can't get the OS or Super Tiger .60/.70 in a reverse rotating engine but Tower carries 3 blade pusher props for these engine sizes OR you can buy a Jett .60/.75 and throughly enjoy the airframe . All the engines are hand made. Also, on average, the Jett series turns 3,000-4,000 RPM above its same size OS or Supertiger counterpart. If you are a die-hard OS or SuperTiger fan just using the Jett muffler on these engines can increase the RPM by 1,000+.

This should be about the time Bob27 chimes in to tell you about the benefits of the Jett .

Mods
Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 PM
jinzo

I've looked at Jett engines before, but haven't actually used one. I'm sure they are very nice and very powerful, but like I said, I'm not a speed freak. I just really like how the plane looks. I don't really think that twice the price of an engine for 4,000 extra RPMs is worth it for me if I'm not wanting to fly the plane as fast as it can go. If it will fly semi-fast (which I consider to be around 80-100 MPH) and handle well on a standard engine, that's more than enough to satisfy me. But then again, if I do end up doing this project (assuming it turns out well and you are satisfied with it), I may just save up and get a reverse rotating Jett just to make the propeller selection and mounting easier, since you are designing if for that type of engine.

Another question while I'm thinking about it. I've only flown basic sport planes so far. How do models such as this one fly? I'm sure they are faster than sport models, but I'm talking about if they are really sensitive to inputs. My main concern is actually how they behave for landing, as in their general handling and if they slow down much.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Feline Flyer"

Do you want to keep the "name" in the same category as the "Bobcat"?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Mods-R-Me

I know there are those that would consider such a thing a waste of the plane.
Not at all. The reason we build kits is to make a plane that meets out specifications. Whatever they may be.

My main concern is actually how they behave for landing, as in their general handling and if they slow down much.
You ask the right questions. I'll give you that [sm=thumbup.gif]. It's not a beginners airplane, but if you fly sport types this should be an easy transition. Needless to say this plane was designed for speed, BUT it will also handle very well in the landing pattern. To further explain: I have added 1 degree of washout at the wingtip to warn the pilot of an on-comming stall. The controls will be come "mushy" and instruct the pilot to add more power. The reasoning behind such a shallow washout angle is I wanted the aircraft to perform just as well inverted as it does upright. This should allow the pilot to do basic acrobatics without the aircraft righting itself during every maneuver. Another upgrade from previous ARF version is the introduction of flaps. This feature will allow for: 1. steeper approach angles, 2. drastically slower approach speeds, and 3. The "crow" landing configuration. The crow landing configuration is where the flaps are at full "down" deflection adding lift and the aileron are "up" behaving like spoilers. Preliminary tests show that it will land more like a sport plane and I will confirm this during the flight test stage.

Thanks for showing so much interest,

Mods
Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: AirGar

"Feline Flyer"

Do you want to keep the "name" in the same category as the "Bobcat"?
I thought about that to aid marketing but I'm open to anything. "Feline Flyer" not bad [sm=thumbup.gif]

MRM
I didn't think of a company name either. Sounds like I have one now: "MRM Models"

Thanks Jinzo.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:38 PM
cncswiss1

Felis rufus or Lynx rufus
Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent work Mods!
I'll be keeping an eye on your progress through the prototype phases for sure.

Spar
Old 08-30-2006, 06:26 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

Looks great mods, will keep following this design thru. As for a name only thing this early that came to mind was silly-easy but

MPP-V1 (Mod's Pusher Plane version 1) had to throw it out there
Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

I forgot to mention, per my agreement with BVM I can't use the word "cat" in the name, but I like the suggestions so far. Keep'em coming!

Mods
I like Bobs suggestion so why not make it
Mod-Kat
Old 08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't sell the a/c, i think you can name it the way you like ... no ?

I like Bobs suggestion so why not make it
Mod-Kat
I second that.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

As long as you don't sell the a/c, i think you can name it the way you like ... no ?

I second that.
The problem is that I do plan on selling the kit version of this aircraft. This is why I called BVM and asked them personally for permission to produce the kit. The only stipulation was that I can not use the word "CAT" in the name. Until recently I could not understand why.

Back in 1972 Bob Violett got together with a friend of his to design an aircraft to compete in the world championships that year and the aircraft they entered was the Bobcat. The name has value to him because Bob- Bob Violett and the other gentlemen's initials, who's full name escapes me, where C.A.T. His friend passed away two years ago......, so now you understand why he doesn't want the word CAT on a similar design. Even though others have infringed on his wishes I will respect them and avoid the word CAT in the name.

I liked "Mod-Kat" too [:@], but I will keep the "Mod" portion in the name. Some names that were suggested to me offline were 1. Modulator 2. Modiflyer 3. Modiplane. I didn't have this much trouble naming my daughter [&:]. Just to check, I'll call BVM tomorrow and ask if I can spell CAT with a "K". Couldn't hurt.

Thanks Everyone,

Mods
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Mods-R-Me

The Fuse - Phase 1

Today I experienced a CAD learning curve for about and hour. Just couldn't wrap my mind around the fuse design. All of my dimensions were way of.....until I realized that the entire part was in metric and not ISP [sm=cry_smile.gif]. Once that got sorted out everything flowed very smoothly.

Phase 1 will be to get the basic fuse shape from 2D sketches (figures 1 & 2). These sketches were then aligned with each other so the top and bottom sketches could be traced (figures 3-5). Then a sketch plane was created were each fuse former will be located and an ellipse traced the "connect the dots" 3D outline (figures 6 & 7). The former sketches were lofted together and produce the fuse outline (figure 8). The canopy and nose cone were also created with the same technique (figure 9). Lastly the 2D sketches are imposed onto the part to check alignment; almost dead on! (figures 10 & 11). This the basic shape of the fuse and it will be reshaped from this point on.

What's Next?

Phase 2

1. Joining the fuse with the wing and making the appropriate mounting cuts
2. Modifying the shape to accommodate the Jett 90 and cowl design.
3. Finalize fiberglass type and thickness

Phase 3

1. Work out internal structure and hardware placement (servos, batteries, airtank, etc.)
2. Balance completed design in Solidworks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28691.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	516370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40383.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	516371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22328.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	516372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63016.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	516373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50736.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	516374   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43194.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	516375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61463.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	516376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83180.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	516377  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92700.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	516378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar11121.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	516379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy50907.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	516380  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 PM
jinzo

Great work. Looks like you're mowing right through.

I have a question, though I suspect you probably can't answer it at this point. How much do you think this kit will end up costing? Wood is cheap, yes, but fiberglass molds jump prices real quick. I'm beginning to think that this plane may end up being out of my price range, but we'll see.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Mods-R-Me

Wood is cheap, yes, but fiberglass molds jump prices real quick.
I say again, you ask the right questions [sm=thumbs_up.gif]. I was contemplating that myself and I have two options: 1. Out source the parts and let the price go through the roof. 2. Make the parts myself and develop a waiting list.

Depending on how much work it is to produce a few parts myself with the mold I will make a decision. I'm guessing that I can produce 5-10 per month and I can write off most of the equipment needed to make the parts on my taxes . The plan is to keep the kit in the $100-$200 price range to meet my consumers (you guys).

Mods
Old 08-31-2006, 09:28 AM
jinzo

The price range sounds just fine. I was personally worried that it might end up being twice that price.

Speaking of fiberglass molds, I should look into how they are made. I've personally never done a mold, but I have done vacuum bagging, so I would imagine a similar amount of work is done and the skill levels are likely along the same line.

Keep up the awesome work! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Mods-R-Me

The price range sounds just fine. I was personally worried that it might end up being twice that price.

Speaking of fiberglass molds, I should look into how they are made. I've personally never done a mold, but I have done vacuum bagging, so I would imagine a similar amount of work is done and the skill levels are likely along the same line.

Keep up the awesome work! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Since you are showing an interest in mold making; here is, by far, the best thread on the entire mold making process that I have ever seen on RCU. I've referred to it countless times and learn something new every time I read it.

Enjoy: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2927309/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]A-7 Build[/link]

Also is a site that has plans and instructions to build a $30 hot wire machine: [link=http://www.instructables.com/id/EK8Q92824BEP286S6S/?ALLSTEPS]Cheap Hot Wire Machine[/link]

Sometimes trolling pays off ,

Mods
Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Wow Mods,

With the CAD skills you have, have you thought about working for Boeing or Lockheed or Northrop?

-Cobra
Old 08-31-2006, 01:20 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pushy-Cat
Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69

With the CAD skills you have, have you thought about working for Boeing or Lockheed or Northrop?
Thanks but CAD skill is not defined in what you can do but how long it takes you to do it. I'm still learning so it takes quite a while to complete these. In spite of this, thanks for the compliment .

P.S. love the avatar LOL!

Pushy-Cat
LOL!

You guys are too much.

Mods
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: SJN

Pushy-Cat
It's been done already:
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164832]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164832[/link]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.