Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

Ok heres the deal. I've heard a lot of people talking about how they want a good RC flight sim for mac. I have a Mac, and REALLY want a sim. So...I'm protesting. This thread is kind of a petition, which I will later be sending to Apple, and most of the major flight sim companies. Maybe I can get someone to make a Mac compatible one. All you have to do is post that you are for it or against it, and why you want one made, and maybe with some help, we can make this happen. Thanks A lot,
Austin
Old 09-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Rubbie

Default RE: The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

Or you can just run Boot camp, you will probably get some sort of response from Apple to that effect now that their whole linup can run boot camp on the intel based Mac's. Although I don't run any SIM's (yet) I do run a couple of games on my intel based mac and they run great, I will be purchasing a SIM this winter to run on it.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

I too am frustrated, and would purchase a simulator if it would run on a pure Mac.

Blue Skies, Green Lights
Old 09-14-2006, 06:11 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I'm sure boot camp is great, and that might be what my options come down to, but I just really think a sim that is purely made for mac, would be great.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
NightOne

Put me down as another Mac person.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Lego_DK

Hi,
I'm with you. I too would appreciate flight simulators for Mac.
The lack of good flight simulations - especially rc-simulators - is one big reason for me to still use Windows.
I welcome the day when this changes!

Lego
Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
skirtz

That day may never come. Mac software market is 1% of the PC software market. The RC simulators market is so small that no major game development company would even consider. Take 1% of that tiny marlet - and we are talking for may be 100 customers a year for the whole planet!

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
Old 09-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Lego_DK

If you'd like the thread to stay on topic, then post only thread related posts.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:34 AM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lego_DK

Yes, and decades before IBM predicted the need for only three or four computers world wide.
I would be carefull with such predictions. Things can change fast!

Lego
Yeah and MAC people have been saying that for the past 20 years.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:22 PM
VictoryRoll-91

I got a question, whats the huge stereotype that computers that run windows are so much better then a mac. I'm so sick of getting crap from people that say all this stuff about how great there computer is, then I say "I like my computer too, its a Mac...."
"A mac? ha, you sure are missing out"
Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Icebird

I don't think anyone is trying to say that the Mac is not a good computer, the numbers are the problem. RC Simulator programs are a VERY small market area, and if you were to take 1% of that market, you would NEVER recover your development costs. All the protests in the world aren't going to help. There needs to be more Macs before you're going to get a sim for it. It's simply a matter of numbers.

To put it another way, my Segway is a great device, but there are many times more bicycles in the world, so they get priority when it comes to product developments. You simply have to look at market share, and you'll understand why protesting isn't going to help.

Jim
Old 09-16-2006, 10:16 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

PC users are always down on Macs till they get all that virus stuff.then they shut up real quick. Besides...if a PC is all they can afford then we Mac users should show them some pity . If they only new that "Windows" is a very crude copy of the Mac operating system that Bill Gates tried to steal from Jobs.

ORIGINAL: zildjian1992

I got a question, whats the huge stereotype that computers that run windows are so much better then a mac. I'm so sick of getting crap from people that say all this stuff about how great there computer is, then I say "I like my computer too, its a Mac...."
"A mac? ha, you sure are missing out"
Old 09-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Lego_DK

Hi,
I woud appreciate the discussion to be more on-topic please!

Lego
Old 09-17-2006, 07:50 AM
VictoryRoll-91

I do understand that it's about numbers, but I also believing that ever since the coming of the iPod, any and all things apple are on the up and up. So maybe one day one will be made.....but the protest must go on. Hopefully I can keep this thread going long enough so I willl at least be able to send them a link.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Icebird

No, you still don't seem to have a firm grasp of the situation. I'm sure Apple is doing fine, and they are making money, but there just aren't enough people that use the Mac to justify spending many thousands of dollars to create a piece of software that MIGHT make back a couple of thousand dollars. There's no money in it. If I were a software developer, I would look at the number of Macs in use, and then figure that perhaps .0001% of that number might buy my program. With a Mac, the installed user base just isn't large enough.

How much would you pay for an RC Flight Sim for the Mac? A best guess scenario, assuming there are 5% of the Macs that there are PCs, and the same percentage of users would buy the simulator, you are looking at a price 20 times higher than the current simulators. That's going to cut into the number that are willing to buy even further, so you're probably looking at more like 50 times the amount. At that price point, I doubt you'd sell ANY so the entire cost of development would be down the toilet. Protesting won't help, go out and sell a few million Macs, then come back, and we'll talk further! :-)

Jim
Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 PM
NightOne

While I agree with the people who have posted about a Mac sim being a niche app for a niche group there is one thing that needs to be mentioned...the killer app.

A killer app is one that is so compelling/great/useful that it will cause people to buy what is necessary to run the killer app.

If someone did develop a an RC flight sim for Mac that was so far above what is out there now would people buy a Mac to run it?

I would say no, but it is something to think about.

Also, there is one more X-Factor and that is someone who would develop it for free (or open source). Not everyone is motivated by money alone.

I don't think these things are going to happen anytime soon. Just some thoughts.

Was at the Apple store today and seen the new 24" iMac. I want one!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Dave23

I would buy a good sim developed for Mac OS in a heartbeat.

-dave
Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I am afraid I am slowly starting the switch to MAC as well. (once you go Mac...) Yet I feel I need a PC in the house just to run the flight sim...doesn't seem worth it. Is anyone running any sim on Parallels or Boot Camp? What is the performance like?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 PM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: RobT

I am afraid I am slowly starting the switch to MAC as well. (once you go Mac...) Yet I feel I need a PC in the house just to run the flight sim...doesn't seem worth it. Is anyone running any sim on Parallels or Boot Camp? What is the performance like?

Thanks,
Rob
If you own one of the sims, take it to the Apple store one morning when they aren't too busy and see if you can try it out.

The new 24" iMac has an Nvidia GeForce 7300 (optional 7600) which should work great with any Sim. Also has Core Duo procesor. With Boot Camp it is the same as any Windows box.

Finally, Apple gives you 15 days to return a Mac, but you do pay a 10% restock fee.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Ernies

Imac Duo 20"
Phoenix and G3 run the same as on a MS_DOS(aka MacOSX emulator), Windows XP to some people.
Mac just simply does not have the bugs and crashs Windows XP does.
So running them in boot camp under windows gives you all the crap that you have in windows.

Pheonix
Pros
graphics are nice
flying is very good(realistic)
could be the very best in a year or two
DO NOT NEED CONTROLLER TO USE IT

cons
needs more planes etc. this will come in time.
menus are a little 3rd gradish
needs better transmitter set up

G3
pros
older program so has more options and experience to tap into.
graphics ok
flying is acceptable
G Cons
Would not have purchased had I known you would have to use controller plus your transmitter. Apparently a windows induced error

con for both, you will probably have to get on the net under windows for updates BAD Deal for my mac.
both will work well so pick your poison.

edit......... Let's stick to model airplanes and their simulators.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:25 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would not have purchased had I known you would have to use controller plus your transmitter.
You don't have to. Just use the controller.

The controller is made by Futaba. My T4EXA Futaba appears to have the same sticks/gimbals and case as the controller. They both feel identical, so there is no reason to plug the T4EXA into the controller to fly. And the controller is close enough in feel to my JR TXs that I don't see the need to put any wear and tear (or recharging) on those TXs either.

Granted, the controller doesn't have the bells and whistles my JRs have, and it doesn't have exponential or mixing. Whenever I feel the need, I do have to plug a JR into the controller, but that's not often. But that's just personal preference.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 AM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: darock

Would not have purchased had I known you would have to use controller plus your transmitter.
You don't have to. Just use the controller.

The controller is made by Futaba. My T4EXA Futaba appears to have the same sticks/gimbals and case as the controller. They both feel identical, so there is no reason to plug the T4EXA into the controller to fly. And the controller is close enough in feel to my JR TXs that I don't see the need to put any wear and tear (or recharging) on those TXs either.

Granted, the controller doesn't have the bells and whistles my JRs have, and it doesn't have exponential or mixing. Whenever I feel the need, I do have to plug a JR into the controller, but that's not often. But that's just personal preference.
Plus another important point is that it if you use your own non-computer radio with a sim and make trim adjustments you will have to re-trim your real plane next time you go to the field. Also, I suppose I would be a lot more likely to drop/bang a joystick (or my transmitter) at home than I would at the field. Nothing would suck more than busting your TX at home.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
RobT

So how about parallels?

Rob
Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
VictoryRoll-91

Where can I get parallels or boot camp?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:19 AM
RobT

http://www.parallels.com/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.