Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Setup for Spectrum DX6 and Blade CP Pro

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Setup for Spectrum DX6 and Blade CP Pro

Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Heli_Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup for Spectrum DX6 and Blade CP Pro

I switched over to the Specktrum DX6 Radio gear and after a lot of reading and setup I figured I'd pass this info along for the others who may be doing this transition.

When you do the swap and first get it all installed use the sub trims to get your servos centered (horizontal) then adjust the linkages to get your swash plate level.

Here are the settings I used: (I may occasionally edit this as I find better settings)

Model E-flite Blade CP Pro

Model Type:
TYP HE

Data Reset:

Dual Rate Switch:
SW CF - Combined Flight Mode Switch

Gear/ Gyro Gain SW:
Ger F - Aileron Flight Mode Switch

Model Sel:
MDL 1

Model Name:
1 PRO

Servo Reversing:
THR Norm
AIL Rev
ELE Rev
RUD Rev
Ger Norm
PIT Norm

Dual Rate 0:
AI0 90%
EL0 90%

Dual Rate 1:
AI1 100%
EL1 100%

Exponential 0:
AI0 5%
EL0 5%

Exponential 1:
AI1 5%
EL1 5%

Sub-Trim: (Set as needed to make your servos centered)
THR 0
AIL -25
ELE -15
RUD +2
Ger +80 (HH Gyro Gain) I am using an Align RCE-500X Gyro
PIT -50

Travel Adjustment
THR -110%
THR +70%
AIL -100%
AIL +100%
ELE -100%
ELE +100%
RUD -100%
RUD +100%
Ger -0% - Set using Subtrim
Ger +0% - Set using Subtrim
PIT -100%
PIT +100%

Throttle Hold:
HLD -1%

Pitch Curve Normal:
PLN 35% -3 Degrees
P2N 65% +5 Degrees
PHN 100% +12 Degrees

Pitch Curve Stunt:
PLS 0% -12 Degrees
P2S 50% 0 Degrees
PHS 100% +12 Degrees

Pitch Curve Hold:
PLH 0% -12 Degrees
P2H 50% 0 Degrees
PHH 100% +12 Degrees

Throttle Curve Normal:
TLN 0%
T2N 65%
THN 100%

Throttle Curve Stunt:
TLS 100%
T2S 80%

Revolution Mixing:
RVU -0%
RVD +0%

Programmable Mixing: Unused
Master CH L
Slave Ch R

Mix Switch Selection: Unused
Mix ASW

Mixing Value Mix: Unused
AXX

Mix Offset: Unused

CCPM Mixing:
CCP On
CP2 + 80% Travel Adjustment for Aileron Function with CCPM on
CP3 + 80% Travel Adjustment for Elevator Function with CCPM on
CP6 + 35% Travel Adjustment for Pitch Function with CCPM on

Trims:
THR 0%
AIL 0%
ELE 0%
RUD 0% Must rebind receiver if rudder trim is changed

It took a lot of reading to find out how the settings on the CCPM work.

Each one of the settings works to adjust the travel for that function ONLY.

I have Aileron set to 80% and Elevator set to 80% this makes for a calmer flying heli.
If desired you can turn these up for a more responsive heli or less for a tamer one 80 seemed good for me.
You also can turn up one or the other ie Aileron 85% and Elevator 95%

Again they are totally independent controls (It took me a lot of time to find this out).

Pitch at 35 controls the pitch if you want less than +/- 12 degrees you would adjust this setting.

Have Fun

Old 09-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Heli_Harry

Default RE: Setup for Spectrum DX6 and Blade CP Pro

Additional Information:

The Travel Adjustment on the throttle is set to:
THR -110%
THR +70%

The -110 is the equivalent to pulling back the throttle and trim lever while the +70 is into the range where the light on the speed controller is red indicating full power. You can tweak the high setting if desired, but I would leave the low setting at -110.

To make things really easy for starting out (learning to hover) set:

Pitch Curve Normal:
PLN 65% +5 Degrees
P2N 65% +5 Degrees
PHN 100% +12 Degrees

and

Throttle Curve Normal:
TLN 0%
T2N 70%
THN 70%

What this does is make it so when you throttle back quickly it does not slam it to the ground as your pitch will not go lower than +5 degrees and it also limits your max head speed to 70% of your full throttle setting making it calmer to fly.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:28 PM
amaury48

Hello Harry,

I've been scouring the forums on the DX6 setup for the Blade CP and came across your post. I have been having a heck of a time trying to set mine up. Your setttings have gotten me very close to where I neede to be and I greatly appreciate your effort. I still have to tweek it a little bit, but I understand a little more on how it functions. I am still a little vague on the mixing settings you posted, ie:

Programmable Mixing:
Master CH L
Slave Ch R

Mix Switch Selection:
Mix ASW

Mixing Value Mix:
AXX

As far as I can see in the manual, the options for programmable mixing would be channels 1-6 (don't understand your CH L, CH R).
The Mix Switch Selection has ASW, but your Mixing Value Mix of "AXX" dosen't make sense to me...
Could you elaborate more on these settings.....

Also, I'm running a G90 Heading Hold gyro on my heli, would that chang any of the settings you had in your post?

Apprciate you feedback on these items....

Amaury48
Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Heli_Harry

These are unused:

Programmable Mixing:
Master CH L = Left
Slave Ch R = Right

Mix Switch Selection:
Mix ASW

Mixing Value Mix:
AXX

Mix Offset:

I had edited this from a spread sheet that I made up.

I had grouped the functions as they appear in the menus.
That makes it a lot easier to setup then how the manual has it.

I'm not sure on the G90 Gyro as I don't have one on mine.

Every heli will be a little different, I spent Hours setting mine up and it can almost hover hands off.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
CPPROMAN

Thanks Guys.. Bought a Spektrum today, just wished it came with charged up batteries so I could fly it . I'll let you know if it works with my bird.. Also called Horizon hobbies they are also emailing a setup sheet to me.. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-13-2006, 08:58 PM
blubug66

heliharry, i'm new to this heli stuff and don't want to sound stupid, although it happens! i recently purchased a cppro and already had a spectrum radio for my parkflyers so i purchased a receiver for my heli and copied your setup but my aileron stick controls my pitch instead of throttle controlling the pitch. I tried to switch the ail and pitch servos thinking i had reversed them but still did the same thing. any suggestions? thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 09:10 PM
CPPROMAN

Take a look at the manual that came witht the Spektrum, under Heli. The servo locations are not the same as the stock reciever, you may find the you have the servos in the wrong location.. I followed the manual and locations worked GREAT. I also contated Horizon Hobby as to their suggested setup for the CP Pro they sent me a email with all their suggested setup settings. I have asked if I can reproduce it on a forum... I have to wait up to 48 hours for an email reply.. Can U
Old 10-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Heli_Harry

blubug66

Check to make sure you have you servos plugged into the proper locations on the receiver, as the channels are different between the two receivers (E-Flite & Spektrum). When I removed the old receiver I traced out and labeled each servo lead to make it easier to work on in the future. Also make sure your set up as a Heli, and that CCPM mode is on.

Get the servos as close to center as possible mechanically then use the sub trims to get them dead centered.

Really take the time to setup your mechanics. I can almost hover hands off as I really took the time to set it up.

If you don't have one get yourself a pitch gage as it really is the only way to really get your pitch right (I bought an E-Flite one for around $13.00).

Take some time to think about the control interaction as some controls will add to each other.

Example: If you set the Aileron Function to 70% in the CCPM Mixing and the dual rate for Ailerons set to 75% you only get 52.5% of travel for Ailerons (75% of your 70% travel as set in the Mixing) this makes the Ailerons quite sluggish. Now throw in some Exponential on top of that and the Heli is so unresponsive that it is almost un-flyable.

Note: The settings that Horizon Hobby Tech support sent me were way off for my CP Pro. The servos would bind and it was so sluggish that it was hard to control.

Have Fun.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:49 AM
OOCH

Hey Heli_Harry,

I have just used your settings for no other reason then it seems like a good place to start. I have just set up the brushless set up on my cp which is basically the cp pro, but with the brushless now. I did put the heading lock gyro on it, though may bypass it for now, just to sort out the radio and basic setup. I run a Hobby Store (Out of Control Hobbies - or - OOCH) with a friend of mine, in a city in Alberta. I have never really been involved with helis until we opened our doors, so it is all a learning curve. I have been flying since about January 2006 with the cp/cx/aerofly pro (flightsim). I have set this machine up like this in order to learn more about the various setups and to help when selling this stuff so I have a clue as it is not just a matter of reading the book and slapping it together all the time.

Have you used this set up at all? I am not sure of a few things, though will figure them out over time I am sure. Any ideas you might have to offer would be of great value to me.

Thanks

Sean
Old 10-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Heli_Harry

OOCH

I'm pretty much flying stock here (though I'm not really flying, more like hovering real well in a small area) as I'm still fairly new to Helis (I'm an old plane flyer from long ago).

What I have taken the time to do is to make sure the setup is good, that really is the key to any craft performing well.

It can almost hover hands off (I actually take my hands off to check the trim though only for a couple of seconds).

I would use my setup as a starting point and tweak it to your liking as I have already tweaked it a little myself.

The biggest point on all of my setup is the CCPM setup and of that probably the pitch as anything over 35% caused binding for me.

The travel adjustments are for each individual Servo, the CCCP mixing function adjustments are for the function of all the servos combined.

The first thing I did when I got this radio was to walk through the menus and make a list (actually a spreadsheet) of the settings as they appeared in the menus in the radio. Then I just plugged in the right numbers. That way if I have to ever re-load the settings it only takes a few minutes.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:01 PM
OOCH

Hey there,

Well, I got it together and have power going through it, with a 1200lipo on it. It needs a goodly amount of adjustment as things are generally slow moving, but the POWER is insane! I cant wait until I can get it set right. WHOA!

thanks

Sean
Old 10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Heli_Harry

Your welcome.

Let me know what settings you change for the brushless.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:11 PM
blubug66

thanks for the reply cpproman and heli harry, i had reversed the servo's as by not really reading the instructions in my spectrum book, gee how did that happen? I guess if all esle fails read the directions, lol. Heli harry i apologize for saying your setup didn't work for me after all was said I had one servo reversed differantly than your setup! when i figured these things out, i'm hovering again with my spectrum. thanks for the setup, i appreciate the time you invested to help out us newbies!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
blubug66

ccproman, I asked horizon about the setup and the just e-mailed me and said "just install the spectrum receiver and you should be good to go". I kinda thought gee, you're alotta help!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Heli_Harry

ORIGINAL: blubug66

ccproman, I asked horizon about the setup and the just e-mailed me and said !QUOT!just install the spectrum receiver and you should be good to go!QUOT!. I kinda thought gee, you're alotta help!

Yeah that was about the response I got, so I called back got a little better response.

I e-mailed them as well, and they sent me settings that weren't much better.

That is what prompted me to post my setup. I spent a lot of time figuring it out so I figured I'd pass along the knowledge.

Have Fun

PS: I hear a DX7 is coming out.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 PM
OOCH

Holy Helli,

So I have had my first very successful flight with the CP-brushless-g9gyro-spektrum upgrade I did. I used your base settings and had to change a few things, and some of it by complete trial and error.. But I managed to get it off the ground and instantly feel the difference. First off, the machine has a lot of power. Secondly with very little trimming, I managed to actually let go of the toggles for oh about 2 - seconds. found I needed to do very little put to keep it on the fence. However it is going to take some more tweeking as once you did throw it a little ie: circuit I could feel some holes in the plan as it were.. So I will just play from here and fine tune, once I find a setting I like, I will post it for you to compair.. mind you different machines..

thanks for your help!

cheers'
Sean
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM
OOCH

I asked my supplier (Horizon) about the DX7 And he will let me know as he was not quite in the clear yet so he would get back to me...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Heli_Harry

Thank you

I'm thinking about adding a Gyro and maybe even going brush less.

What do you think of the Gyro?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:30 PM
OOCH

So far the gyro is good, but I had a nasty fall today, 2nd flight actually, but my rudder trim was way off somehow, oops, and i lost it.. finished a pair of CF blads bent shaft, minor stuff.. Fixed and ready to go again. I will play with the GYRO more and let you know, but so far it is really nice.. Definately different from the stock.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86337.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	543058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71568.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	543059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67930.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	543060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70676.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	543061  
Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 PM
OOCH

That isnt me flying, I am taking the pics... Mine is the one with the popcan though..
Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Heli_Harry

I picked up a HH Gyro tonight. My LHS did not have the E-Flite G90 so I got the Align RCE-500X. What a difference, Rock solid for the whole flight.

I asked the owner (who is an 11 yr heli flyer) about HH vs. Standard and explained the difference then said he just keeps it in HH mode all the time.

I was a quite impressed with the Gyros performance as I really did not expect it to work so well. It was $78 but worth it to cure the drift of the stock Gyro.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 AM
OOCH

Cool,

I just sorted through my Spektrum to do some set up and dual rates etc... Sorting it.. I am going to get an order of Align Trex's in November sometime, intime for Christmas.. likely I will keep one to learn on. but as I far as I can tell now, they are worth it, if you want small. I do. I have 2 customers with them and are quite exstatic abou them. The beauty of owning a store is ya get to try this stuff out, though it still isnt free.. .. but better then normal retail. But if I kept one of everything we brought in, I would not make any money.. lol..

Cheers

Sean
Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 AM
OOCH

pics
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM
OOCH

pics here
Old 10-18-2006, 02:03 AM
OOCH

one more time..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54819.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	543147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56802.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	543148  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.