Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Chipmunk - Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Chipmunk - Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 AM
manks7477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite Chipmunk - Build

Just started last night, organized the big box of wood, and laid out the Stab.

I will be using a ton of yellow glue, not as much CA as I have in the past, it is so much better to work with, the only problem is it take so long to cure, but the ease of use is too much of an advantage.

This is one big plane, I can't wait to really get into it.

I will post some pics tonight.

Manks
Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dynaflite Chipmunk - Build

Im building a 90 inch Cub and am using thick ca and epoxy. The thick gives you time to work and yet it doesn't take overnight to cure. Have fun with your build. Sounds like mine, a lot of work. I love it.

Gibbs
Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 PM
manks

Here is the first pic - the Stab is pretty much done, just waiting for the glue to cure.

No problems at all so far, but they again I have only just started. Tomorrow I will start on the Elevator and hopefully get that done. This looks like a pretty easy build, the biggest problem is the size of the plane, it will be 89" and about 17lb when complete.

I am using mostly Yellow Glue, Epoxy and Gorilla Glue in some places. CA is the last resort, I hate the smell and the cost, not to mention the short working time and clean up. I also got some new tools, a razor saw and some medical clamps and tools, all of these make the building much better. This will be my best quality build yet, it will be my 7th kit.

Off to bed, will post progress tomorrow or Sunday.

Manks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71240.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	549613  
Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
manks7477

Well the Elevator is taking a bit longer than I would like, but that's only because I was having trouble finding the right wood to use, there are so many sticks of different sizes in this box it can be tought to find the right ones.

I spent about 2 hrs going through the manual and picking the right wood for each section, them marking it and bundling it to make it easier when I get to that section.

This is what the Ele looks like so far.

This has not been a tough build at all, very simple really the only problem will be finding a room in my house that is big enough to build the fuse and wing.

Name:	Yw69161.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	550707  
Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
manks7477

The Build is progressing very well. Last night I did some sanding of the Stab and Elevators. The Elevators are built up, then sanded down to shape, it took much more work than I figured - over an hour to get it done, but the results are great.

Here is a question I have for anyone who might have a thought. This model has open bay wings, Ailerons, Flaps and Elevators, I am thinking of sheeting everything, then using Epoxy, primer and paint rather than a covering film or fabric, does anyone have any thoughts of the benefit of doing this. I really want an painted plane rather than a monocoat covered one, any ideas would be helpful.'

Manks
Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I built one about 5 years ago. Covered with Sig Koverall and painted with latex. The wing builds very rigid. I don't see any benefit to sheeting it, but, it's your choice.

When you get to the fuselage, note that the outer sheeting is pretty far from the inner box structure at a few locations. You might consider adding a few internal formers to better support the sheeting there. I think the internal former supports are a little too distantly spaced.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM
manks7477

Thanks for your comments. I want to fully sheet the wing because I would like to glass it, I have never worked with the Sig Koverall, how do you apply it and paint?

I am also interested in your comments about the Fuse Sheeting, I will keep that in mind, and as I progress with this build thread, I hope you can remind me.

All the best!

manks
Old 11-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Steve Landron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to let you know first off when you use sig coverall, (fiberglass cloth) and subsequently paint a model, you add a substantial amount of weight. Not too much of a problem if you are just static displaying a model but if your intending to fly it, just remember to keep the power up.

I have an older Top flight P-40 in my garage (Check my pics hanging on the wall) and It flew beautiful. I used fully sheeted wings, control surfaces etc, covered with light weight coverall and polyester resin. I then sanded the plane, painted and fuel proofed with spray on Polyurethane satin finish. Final weight came in at about 8.5lbs for a .60 sized plane. not bad.. Beautiful plane and flew with authority, but on base to final approach 2x, the plane went stalled and spun. I recovered the first one but was not fortunate enough on the second approach.

I guess to make a long story long, I want to build a second P-40 (still have the plans) but I will not fully sheet the wings, and I will not cover an entire model with fiber glass, coverall etc, I will use Monokote. Weight is everything..

Oh last thing, Polyester resin is very strong smelling, if you're intent on covering with coverall, think about using a water based varnish/laquer to cover the material, not as strong but am told does the job very well.. V/R Steve
Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 AM
manks

I apperciate your comment. The one big difference is that this is a 1.60 size plane, I am planning on putting a fair bit of power into it so that the weight is not a great concern. This model will fly at about 18 lbs, the design is for between 16 and 20.

Frist major mistake tonight, I used the wrong wood building the tail, OK, so it is not that big a deal, I used a 1/2 X 5/6 stick rather than a 3/8 X 5/6 stick. I realized this aftter I had cut them. So I shaved down the 1/2 stick to 3/8 and built up the 3/8 stick by sticking on some 1/8 sheeting. No big deal, except, when I was shaving down the 1/2 stick, I shaved about 1/16th of skin from my left thumb. It kind of smarts right now and boy did it blead.

I pretty much got the rudder and fin done just need a bit of sanding to shape after the glue has cured. Pics tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 PM
manks7477

Well the Stab, Elevators, Rudder and Fin are now officially done.

Starting work on the bulkheads.

Pretty easy build so far, but I will have to move my workshop soon, once I am done with the bulk heads I will not have enough room in my shop to start to build the fuse.

Name:	Fd91371.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	554743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71792.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	554744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66334.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	554745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25388.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	554746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74459.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	554747  
Old 11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
manks7477

Started the Fuse tonight. The sides are built with two long balsa 1/4X5/6 sticks that are cut and fitted, then supported by 1/2 X 1/4 balsa sticks and attached to a ply fuse side.

No magic in any of this, only taking caution to make sure everything is build straight and true. The plans have to be taped together, and I had to move out of my shop to a much bigger room with long folding table. I build on top of 1/2 drywall laid on the table, it works well, is very flat and pins easily.

The fuse side is attached to the balsa with regular epoxy - the instructions say to use 6 min epoxy, but I like the additional strength that the regular stuff gives you. I also applied a layer of epoxy over the ends of the balsa sticks to give them a bit more strength, the tail is not a high stress area, but I want it a bit stronger anyway.

The other problem that is rearing its head is what to do about the motor for this beast. I keep going back and forth between a 1.20 OS and a 23 cc gasser. I know the glow engines better, and they are less costly, but long term the gasser is better. I think I will hold off until after the plane is completed. I am thinking I will just tack glue the Firewall in place with a drop or two of CA or Yellow glue until I figure out what to put under the hood. Since I am not skilled enought to even try to fly this thing I am OK to hang it up for a while. I still need to get some low wing tail dragger time in, as well as start working up to bigger aircraft - to date I am pretty good on a 40 size high wing trainer, but not ready for a low wing tail dragger 1/4 Warbird with flaps.

Still having fun, the build it always very enjoyable for me, especially now because my kids are "helping" me cut some balsa and apply some glue.

cheers!

Manks

Name:	Pn35266.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	556171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92953.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	556172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60617.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	556173  
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
manks7477

I have made a couple of new decisions about the build. I think I am going to put Navigation lights in the plane as well, reds on the wing tips and a flashing red on the belly. I am trying to be more "scale" than I have ever been before. I plan on doing a very simple rig - wires to the wing tips, lights will be mounted in black plastic, then inside a balsa faring. The wiring will come together at the wing saddle, then attached to a connector, which will connect to a separate battery pack placed for balance inside the fuse. I may try to put a Headlight on the main gear to add another level of detail to the plane.

I bought all of the lights, mounts, connectors and battery pack at a local surplus supply store in Toronto for less than $5.00, now I am getting excited!

Does anyone have any other "scale" details that have worked out really well?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Rob C
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Manks. I had a g26 in mine and it powered it really well till I destroyed it. Nice flying airplane good luck with your build.

Name:	Sq47362.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	557993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40084.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	557994  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 PM
manks7477

ORIGINAL: Rob C

Hi Manks. I had a g26 in mine and it powered it really well till I destroyed it. Nice flying airplane good luck with your build.
How did you finish the plane? Did you fully sheet the wings then 'glass and paint, or did you use regular covering?

I am not sure what I want to do, this would be my first fiberglass job if I decide to go that route.

How did the G26 run for you, I am thinking of going to that motor as well, but am not sure, I keep thinking about OS 120 as well, just not sure, I have never run a gasser.

Any help would be greatly apperciated.

BTW - how did you lose yours?

Manks
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Rob C
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Manks. I glassed and painted the fuselage with latex. The wing I built as per plans and covered with super coverite and painted again with latex ( don't need primer over fabric ) That G26 was a great little engine. Lots of power for that plane. The only cutout I had in the cowl was for the carb. I used a B&B muffler with the stacks cut short. My loss was the usual pilot error on both building and flying. Don't use the stock control rod's.[&o]
Old 11-11-2006, 12:03 AM
manks7477

Thanks for the tips, I will stongly think about doing just that.

Well got about an hour of building in tonight, it was OK, a few small mistakes that required me to be a bit creative, but at the end of the night the fuse is starting to look, well like a fuse.

I broke down and started to use a bit of CA in tight spots were I needed a fast bond. I guess that is not really cheating is it?

I will throw a couple of pic up tomorrow.

manks
Old 11-11-2006, 07:09 PM
manks7477

The bulkheads are now glued in, not starting to put in the formers.

The fuse is looking good, everything is well aligned and looks strong. I am impressed with how easy this plane is to build. I understand that there will be a lot of sanding to be done, as well I hear that the sheeting on the fuse will be a real bear!

I don't mind the sanding, but I am not looking forward to sheeting the complex curves on the fuse, I think there will be alot of patch work to keep all the seams smooth, and to cover up any mistakes I have made on the sheeting.

Pics tomorrow when I get some batteries for my camera.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:21 PM
manks7477

I may have to put the fuse away for a while and start on the Wing, as I am at the point now of having to purchase some items from the LHS, and I will not have the spare time to get there until the weekend, if even then, so off to the Wing it is I think.

I think I have finally decided on to finish this plane. I will be using .53 oz fiberglass cloth on the fuse and tail, then Super Coverite on the wings and control surfaces. I have sourced a couple of places close to home to purchase the cloth ($5.00 per yard - 30 inch cloth) and will use West System Epoxy because so many people have raved about it. I will prime the fuse (the wing will not need it) and paint with latex, then clear coat to give it a real shine.

I will be painting in the traditional British Colors for the Chippy, white, red, black and grey.

I am thinking of a Zenoah G26 as the power plant, it is a bit big, but having a little more power is better than not enough, right?

This is going so fast I may need a real "winter" project!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
manks7477

Got building again today, it is starting to feel like winter is coming up here in the North so I bunkered down in my basement and got going again after a few days off.

I installed the control rods today, as well as finished off the formers on for the sides, all is looking well.

The routes the control rods are taking are strange to me, I have never had rods cross before, but they are installed as per the plans, I guess the designers know more about this than I do.

I am going to glass this thing for sure - at least the fuse. I went out and found a local place that sells .058 oz fiber glass cloth, and has a great selection of resins, tools ect for working with this stuff. They are an industrial supply company that specializes in composites, great place, lots of help too.

Anyhow, I got some cloth, low viscosity resin (I think it is the laminating resin) and some micro balloons. I will be doing a test on another kit that is in the finishing stage right now - it is a .20 Size Texan, I don't think I will ever fly it, so it will be come my learning plane for glass finishing.

Today I mixed a batch of the expoy and Micro Balloons to fill in some low spots on the fuse, it was pretty easy, but I used more balloons than I would have thought. It is almost ready to sand down now, once that is done I should have a nice smooth surface to work on , and I will glass the sucker!

I haev too many projects on the go right now, the Chippy, the Texan and a PT 40 Trainer that I have 90% done. Now I am reading the Composites pages to try and figure out how to make a fiberglass fuse plugs for my next project - somebody save me I must be losing my mind.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM
manks7477

It has been a while since I have spent any time on the plane, Christmas shopping, family and other things have been getting in the way.

In the last week all I have done is get all the formers built and start sheeting the fuse.

I really need to get back to work on this plane soon and get it moving. One or two more building sessions and I am going to be moving to the wing.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:25 AM
manks7477

The fuse has now been partially sheeted and sanded, it is now time to start the wing.

I'll have some new photos up shortly.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 AM
manks7477

Well I am back at it again, took a bit of time off to work on another model (nice little .20 sized Texan).

I have the fuse set aside until the wing is done. The Wing is not partially built and joined. I cannot believe how big this wing is, a 90" one piece Wing is a real pain to move around my little shop.

No pics of the Wing yet, but the fuse is in good shape as you can see here.

That is sitting on a full sized couch, you can see it is a very big plane.

The build has gone really well, I am looking forward to getting the wing done and ready to mount. I am not sure if I can to add some scale wing tip lights ect, I guess I have to think that through soon.

I am also not sure if I want to get the scale gear from Robart or not, I think it might be nice to have, but maybe I will do that after the build is done, then I will retrofit them in.

I will be glassing the fuse - really excited about that. I have just finished my first glass job on the Texan, not primed yet, but it looks really good right now, smooth and ready to paint, the wings will be done with Coverite and painted.

I am really enjoying this project, it should be complete by the end of Winter, then on to my 81" Norseman!

Manks

Name:	Ca82961.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	608354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74359.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	608355  
Old 01-28-2007, 09:32 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

looks familiar nice work you are doing there.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Blue_Moon_

Are you allowed to have the fuselage in your sofa? My girlfriend hate when i do that [>:]
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 AM
manks7477

Thanks, it actually looks a bit better in person. I fit the wing into the fuse last night, there is still so much work to do, but it is looking like a real plane now - a very big one.

You said it looks familiar, do you have a Chipmunk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.