Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:42 PM
starcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Exceed Raptor G2 Upgraded

Hi avman, Wow looks like they used a PCM radio for your special edition, very cool. That's just a different pulse than FM. You should get better reception with that setup. Well the helicopter is still the same. Your radio is also the same other than pulse. The knobs should work the same you will just have a different DIP setting on your radio. You will have to look at the new instructions and see what number they label as your PIT and PLT (V1 V2). I would assume that V1 is Pitch and V2 is head rotation speed. The pitch is the critical aspect here. When one blade has more then the other it can create higher backwash to one side of the helicopter while in flight also taking off can be more pronounced and cause the tail to swing etc. You shold have a gradual lift that is smooth, anything like yawing to the left or right means the pitch is probably off. Also if you turn your V1 and V2 and nothing happens then your switches are in the locked position. One of the DIP will turn them back on. You need to get a pitch guage before you change anything. Make a note too of the factory settings on your DIP settings. starcop
Old 02-18-2007, 05:46 PM
starcop

Hey avman, The servo horns should be 90 degrees and the swash plate should be level. That is just a adjustment you can make if you need too. I would leave it alone until you get the tools you need to setup pitch. first thing first. starcop
Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 PM
starcop

Hi Everyone, I had to sit out for some time today. Too much wind! I finally around 6:00 pm got to fly again, minor wind at that time. The Raptor G2 lifts very easy in wind. I almost had the throttle all the way off and it would hover. That means very little pitch and the rotor still has lift. The handling is pretty good, the tail doesn't swing or do anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I had to watch out for was it lifting straight up pretty fast. For a new flyer this could get away from you. Don't fly in the wind, it's a very lite helicopter and seems to wonder around quit a bit. Also dodges up and down very fast. I hope everyone eles had a good flying day. starcop
Old 02-18-2007, 09:25 PM
helifan06

that what happened to me today; luckly I managed to land safety; but with slight wind; it goes crazy. If its about 25mph wind; it will be very hard to control. I flew in the simulator; 25mph is already tough for small heli,

Helifan06;
Old 02-18-2007, 10:12 PM
starcop

Hi helifan06, Yeah the winds not our friend with this helicopter. Mine sure fly's great now, I'm really getting the hang of it. I wished I could fly more today, but the wind was really terrible. I'd say it was about 25, 30 mph and it went on for most of the day. I noticed the helicopter really has a lot of lift with those blades turning. I had really slowed the head speed down and it would still get quit a-ways up there. I noticed too when I was sideways the wind would almost blow it over and I'd have to yaw quit a bit. Well I'm going to try after work again. I'd like to get a much practise with this helicopter before my T-Rex arrives! I'm going to buy one. I'll always keep my Raptor flying just because it was my first helicopter. starcop out...
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
imnew4321

well I am out. I either got a really bad sprain or minor fracture in my arm. Man is it easy to get hurt. Well I will probably fly in a week or two if my arm is good. later
Old 02-19-2007, 02:15 PM
starcop

Hey imnew4321, Sorry to hear about the arm. What happend? Anyway hope you get better soon. I have cloudy days and wind in the forcast, Yuke! I hope it mellows out during the evening; so I can at least fly after work. Practise, practise I should be ready for th T-Rex 600 soon. Well have a good one everyone, I'm back to work. starcop
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
imnew4321

hEY STARCOP, I was snowboarding and I came down from a jump too hard and put my arm out to keep me from falling and I just hit it wrong so now it hurts alot. maybe next week I can fly. later
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
ewolow

Starcop,

I'm willing to bet that you find that 600 way easier to fly than the G2 once you get it going. I'm still debating on the 600 or a nice nitro raptor. I promised the Mrs that there wil be no more major heli purchases until the summer.

imnew, sorry to hear about your arm bro. Hope you heal up quickly.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
starcop

Hi All, Well it crashed again! At least it's not pilot error. My Rx failed again, seems in one area of my house I lose signal. I'm not sure what the heck happens over there but it seems every-time I fly in the driveway it loses signal or stops working completly. Back to the repair shop. It was a tail spike no forward I watched it just stall. Still had no RX after the crash, weird. Here's the pics. I'm lucky; I have all the parts I need in my back-up box. At least I can fix it... starcop I'll be back in a hour for repairs!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76048.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	625243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23110.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	625244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17476.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	625245  
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
imnew4321

hey starcop, from the one photo, the wires going into the rx seem to be coming out. well I am going to the doctors again for x-rays and they said it is most likely a hairline fracture by the symptoms I have been having. later
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
starcop

Hi imnew4321, Yeah I can see the bec plug is crooked. I'll fix that, I also decided not to replace the frame for a minor crack. I made a brace so I can save the frame for a later date. Here is a way to repair the frame if you need to. starcop

Name:	Us53690.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	625339  
Old 02-19-2007, 09:13 PM
munro300

Hey guys, I got my radio gear today and installed the servos and rx but Im not sure about the servo for the pitch setting. I got the other three servos so they are working properly. The radio is gonna be a little tricky for me to figure out all the different settings Like what is the dual rate settings and exponenital settings? Also how do you switch these from normal to 3d mode and how do I even know if its in normal mode like the stock radio?This makes me feel stupid![sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
ewolow

Munro,

I think you need to have it set up single servo for the g2. I wouldn't worry about exponential on ailerons just yet thats more a tweak setting. You will however need to set up the exponential on the throttle/pitch to tail so that as you increase throttle it compensates for the change in torque and less work on your gyro.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
munro300

Thanks for the tip Erik, Im gonna need alot of help. It seems the servo that controlls the pitch is binding when the throttle is moved all the way to the top, Im not sure if it needs a shorter horn setting but it seems that it has way more movement than the stock one. I tryed to adjust the "end point adjustment" for the pitch servo but am not sure if thats the correct remedy? Should I have adjusted the "normal throttle curve function" and " normal pitch curve function" instead? Both have a five point curve and came set at 0, 25, 50, 75, 100%

Also would the idle up settings be for 3D flying where the throttle goes to full and pitch is only controlled by the throttle lever?

Woah Boy ! I think Im in over my head, I might have to just connect the motor and try it out then fiddle with it as I go. This is more complicated than I thought[:@]
Old 02-20-2007, 02:15 PM
helifan06

Hello imnew4321,

Sorry about your arm. I got pretty much same injury when I was skateboarding; I jumped a curved and falled backwards; and in order not to hit my head with the pavement; I used my left hand and the shoulder just came off the socket.

The doctor says I should have a surgery done; but I decided to do re-habilitation and now its ok; sometimes it comes out of its socket; but just need to be careful.

Hey starcop;

Use the wind settings in the FMS; with big helis you can get around; but with a small heli like Helimax; its pretty hard. Even with big helis 60mph winds is pretty tough. It really put your skills to the test.

Helifan06;

Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
helifan06

Today I got my metal rotor head upgrade. The screws that fix the fly bar to the rotor come loss after each flight. I lost one of the copper sleeves; so I may use a allen screw with a nut instead this time; and put crazy glue into the nut.

hooobby.com is having 5% off due to chinese new year;

Helifan06;
Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
munro300

Alright, I got her in the air by adjusting the throttle curve and the pitch curve. I also had to reverse the throttle and the elevator, It seems so smooth compared to before but the aileron controll seems a little slow or like it dosent have enough travell. But I'll get it figured out, i have to fiddle with the throttle and pitch a little more to get it just right. This is an awesone upgrade to the heli , now I wanna get a better gyro that i can adjust with the tx.If anyones thinking about getting a better radio set-up do it you'll be amazed! Especially with this jalopy. Thanks to STARCOP for reccomending this it is AwESOME!!!!!![sm=thumbup.gif]

Name:	Lj23475.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	625931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30899.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	625932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16397.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	625933  
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM
helifan06

Hello starcop;

I got a tail boom bent pretty much like you have. Do you think the glitch is because of the Modulation used in this tx-rx?? Maybe Code Modulation is better; than frequency modulation;

Helifan06;
Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
starcop

Hi All, Oh Yeah, never again! I changed my radio out to the Futaba and practically just plugged it in and changed channel reverse settings and I'm good to go! No more lost signal! Wow munro300 you aren't kidding what a difference this makes. I'm sure unless I really mess around I won't crash anytime soon. What a plus! Throw the Exceed RX in the garbage. My MX400 is going to have to wait, I'm having gyro setup issues. The Exceed gyro I just pluged in and everything works correctly. The 401 for some reason is weird to setup or faulty. I'll have to send it in, tired of messing with it. Take a look at the old and new. Seems like the Futaba is made for a helicopter. starcop

Temporary setup, just testing but ready to complete.

Name:	Jh15151.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	626122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10018.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	626123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82491.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	626124  
Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
munro300

Are you gonna keep that reciever on the raptor Starcop? It really is amazeing how crappy the stock radio set up is compared to futaba.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
starcop

Hi munro300, I'm staying with the Futaba! You need to turn your negative End-Point down on the pitch channel. If your having trouble with you throttle and pitch. Leave the curves alone. I'm just about ready to try mine. Looking good, I can't wait to fly. I'm so tired of losing signal, everytime just about is why I've crashed. The (End-Point) adjustment will increase and decrease the amount of throw the servo horn will have. For full pitch make sure the servo isn't binding because the washout is all the way up and the servo will get hot. Check that your channel 6 is correct. The pitch and yaw should have plenty but again you can increase them in sub-trim. Hope that helps. starcop
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 AM
starcop

Hey munro300, Awsome setup, all this time and all I had to do was change the dang receiver! Mine works great. I have a few minor adjustments and I have to replace the tail boom but it works far better. I'm thinking of using the S3107 servos have you noticed a big difference? Thanks, starcop
Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 AM
JLB768

Got my parts today, heli is still goofed up. Sending it back for a refund. Whatever you do, think long and hard before placing an order with XHELI.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 AM
munro300

Starcop its like night and day with these servos, Im thinking about ordering 3 more from towerhobbies just to have for back up incase when I,m doing my loops and rolls I crash and break one! Yeah , right I wont be rady for the stunts just yet but these servos are really awesome. Later when your back on line explain more about your sugestion to my pitch problem I had. Thanks!

Hey JLB768, you are sending your whole heli back? I thought it was just your esc that burnt up, i hope you took off your new futaba gear before you returned it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.