Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how to disasssamble engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 03:59 AM
rcabj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to disasssamble engine parts

hello...i own an OS 12 tr...already went through 2 races and thinking off cleaning and checking everything of the engine parts.

so anybody can give some advice or recommend any website that shows step by step on how to dissamble and assembling bank those piston,con rod crankshaft etc..really appreciate it...thanks ..
Old 01-24-2003, 04:08 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

I would reccomend NOT doing this unless your totally sure of yourself.
2 stroke engines are simple.. but its all too easy to ruin em!

hmm only 2 races? Why would you wanna do a complete overhaul after only 2 races?!
-ram
Old 01-24-2003, 05:09 AM
Krusty

Default Re: how to disasssamble engine parts

Originally posted by rcabj
hello...i own an OS 12 tr...already went through 2 races and thinking off cleaning and checking everything of the engine parts.
NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!
If you are a "first time" Nitro user and you decide to disassemble your engine "just to clean it" without having any idea on how it goes back together,
you just might be a Newbie.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:16 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_rebuild.asp
Old 01-24-2003, 06:48 AM
rcabj

Default do i have too?

well guys...i'm a newbie allright in the
engine dept...

so if there were no indication of anything
wrong with the engine , how long is the
proper duration for it to be dismantle or anything
of that kind...thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 02:37 PM
ringelbeast

Here is a helpful link.
Look under instructions. Then how to rebuild a nitro engine.
The link won't take you to the right page.
The link that Crash sent in very nice also.

http://hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 01-24-2003, 02:58 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you start asking questions like "It was revving very high. I heard a click and all was silent. Why can't I restart it?" or "It won't idle once it's up to temperature. What's wrong?" then consider taking it apart, not before.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:17 PM
ringelbeast

If ain't broken don't fix it.
The links above will be help full when you decide to rebuild, or "when you have to rebuild"

Krusty not trying to sound rude. Weren't you a NEWBIE at sometime???
Everybody has to start some were.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:38 AM
Krusty

Originally posted by ringelbeast
If ain't broken don't fix it.

Krusty not trying to sound rude. Weren't you a NEWBIE at sometime???
Everybody has to start some were.
You're right on both accounts. I was a Newbie back in 1958, when I first got my two glowengines (O.K. Cub) from my uncle.

I also agree with "If it ain't broken don't fix it."

"It's a smart man who knows his limitations."
Harry Callahan aka "Dirty Harry"
Old 01-25-2003, 04:37 AM
nopistonRX7

It all depends on your mechanical skills. When I first started I lived like two minutes from my hobby store and I became pretty good friends with the people that worked there. It also helped that my nieghbor worked there too but I was confident enough in my skills that I attempted to take it a part myself (call it curiosity). It was extremly easy. I knew if I couldn't figure out how it went back together I would just bring it to the hobby store and have them show me. So my advice is that I don't think its nessesary to take it apart so soon for cleaning but if you were wondering what they looked like inside then I would call your local hobby store and ask them if you brought down a disassembled engine if they could put it back together for you. (I know you might feel stupid asking but at least you'll still have an engine) After that if all is well then I say go for it! You got to learn sometime right? Good luck and please use your head before you make your decision.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:46 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

I like that.. Usually thats how I work.. I'll do something a little over my head.. I may need help, but usually I end up learning a LOT! But sometimes it does end up in disaster!
Like the first time I tried jump starting a car.. I was like10 or something
I switched the polarity.. and smoked the wires.. my dad burnt his hand trying to take it off lol
I didnt try that again for another 5 years!
Then again.. I tore apart and put together a camcorder in like 5 hours.. and fixed it when the guys at hifi buys couldnt! Got a hundred bucks for it from my neighbord! (it was his)

Life is good sometimes!
-ram
Old 01-25-2003, 05:01 AM
ringelbeast

Originally posted by Krusty

You're right on both accounts. I was a Newbie back in 1958, when I first got my two glowengines (O.K. Cub) from my uncle.

I also agree with "If it ain't broken don't fix it."

"It's a smart man who knows his limitations."
Harry Callahan aka "Dirty Harry"
Krusy

I think you are a very knowledgeable person. And as I have seen, You have shared alot of great info. And thank you for that!

Also I will be trying some of that Wildcat fuel that you have talked about in some past post. After contacting Wildcat personally, I am convinced.

Thanks again for sharing some of your knowledge.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:35 AM
Krusty

If you want to know about these engines, or anything for that matter, read, read, and then read some more. Ask an expert or someone that knows what they are doing for help. Those that win the races typically know something. Most people will be happy to help. Be careful of those that have been doing this (or anything for that matter) for a very short time and "claim" to know what they are doing to be correct. I don't want to offend anyone but I refer to this as "Newbies advising Newbies". These engines and this hobby can be very expensive. If you make "dumb" mistakes without thinking about what you are about to do and the consequences, it could cost money or worse get you hurt. There is much information out there. When I started learning about this hobby, there wasn't anything called the internet, heck there weren't even PCs!!!! I started with model airplanes. There weren't any R/C cars at that time. I didn't have the luxury of the Internet. Modeling magazines were all there was. I suggest reading the literature (magazines) that are available. You can not learn everything you need to know from forums alone.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:25 AM
nopistonRX7

I agree with Krusty completely. I often try things that I think are going to be too hard but I think that is why I decide to do them in the first place. But I always make sure to do my homework before hand. If you want to learn how to do something reading is the key. You can learn anything by reading (keeping in mind the source in which it came from) You don't want to ask just anyone. I didn't mean any disrespect "Krusty" I just wanted to give the guy a positive outlook. I just hate it when people say that you shouldn't do stuff that you should leave it to the professionals. Well professional f'd up my Rx7 rotary engine once. Thank God I got them to pay for it though. Besides even professionals had their "first one" Back to "Krusty" I hope I didn't affend you. I do agree with everything you say. When I first started I bought my car, radio, fuel, glow starters, you know the whole nine yards. I got it home, opened the box, and already had 100 questions. I made every newbie mistake like busting the spring in my pull start from pulling too far overheated my engines. I dumped about 3 to 400 dollars into my car before I figured out how everythind worked. But I don't regret messing up everything. I learn a ton on experience alone. Now I can pin-point problems by sound or by sight. So If I affended you in my earlier post Krust please forgive me. Lots of love! Sorry so long.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:00 AM
rcabj

Default thanks guys

thanks guys for those replies.....really appreciate them.

just to make sure...if htere was little black spot
on the piston head what do i do?

1. scrap it off
2. sand paper it

or

3. leave them alone...it's nothing....

thanks again.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:40 PM
ShelbyGT

EXCELLENT article. many thaks to crash_me_over. EVERYTHING you need to know when rebuilding an engine. I was needing to know how to remove the bearings from my Megatech NEO 16st engine, because the original one leaked after break-in. The only thing it didn't tell was, do I need to repeat the break-in process after putting it back together??? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:56 AM
autodog

There is a book You might want to check out. It is Ultimate Nitro Engine Guide. You can find at www.rcstore.com. It is easy to follow and explains a lot. Hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Aterlatus

Call this newbies advising newbies if you want, but I think the golden rule when it comes to engine rebuilding is can you afford to buy spares if you feck it up?

I ended up dismantling my first engine after only having it two days. The flywheel wouldn't budge and the pullstart was locked. It ended up being the little wheel that connects the pullstart to the conrod wasn't seated properly - reseating it sorted all the problems

And yes, I've also bust quite a few bits with my "investigations". Curiousity can be expensive, but it's also a great way to learn. Hell, I used to take my toys apart as a kid just to see how they work. One of the reasons I've got the job / hobbies I do now (IT Contractor / modelling)
Old 03-03-2007, 12:32 PM
latinfly

Default RE: how to disasssamble engine parts

How do you take the cranshaft and piston, and connecting rod out of an OS .40 Airplane engine
Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 PM
hands without shadows

I aplaud you for searching but this thread is 4 years old and in the car forum. Starting a thread in the airplane forums would probably help you more.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 AM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Default RE: thanks guys

ORIGINAL: rcabj

1. scrap it off
2. sand paper it

or

thanks again.

Just leave it. It's nothing.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: PENGUINBLASTER!!!

ORIGINAL: rcabj

1. scrap it off
2. sand paper it

or

thanks again.

Just leave it. It's nothing.

You do realize that you just replied to a question that's four yeas old and to a member who has not logged onto the fourm since October of 2004 - 2 years and 5 months ago. I kinda doubt that he cares about a black spot on his piston anymore.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

You do realize that you just replied to a question that's four yeas old and to a member who has not logged onto the fourm since October of 2004 - 2 years and 5 months ago. I kinda doubt that he cares about a black spot on his piston anymore.
Yeah I agree that he probably doesnt care about those black spots any more.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 AM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL

But at least we get to have these great links bumped forward! Though they are 4yrs old, the RC rebuild instruction links are generally the same.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
latinfly

thank you guys