Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 and AR6100 interference with Stryker

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Sign Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 and AR6100 interference with Stryker

I just converted my Stryker over to spread spectrum, using one of the new AR6100 mini receivers w/ my new DX7. I had glitching or something going on with it today. After we range checked it (twice the distance in the instructions), I attempted my maiden. I never felt connected to the airplane, then it went to full throttle and I had nothing, then it went into failsafe, then I had it back for a rough but safe landing. In this installation I had the antennas (end of the receiver) sticking out the right side of the fuselage under the electronics cover. I moved the receiver and attached it with double stick to the electronics cover, with an antenna out each side. The next flight went without incident. Then I flew it again, and after about 5 minutes in the air, it throttle up, and started rolling to the left. I chopped the throttle and had full control. What the heck[&:][:@] I thought these things were supposed to be glitch free. It was DEFINITELY not out of range, as it was just on the other side of the runway from me, about 150'. When we range tested it, I got 1/2 the length of the runway before the signal was lost holding in the bind button. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 07:50 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DX7 and AR6100 interference with Stryker

I responded over here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5157571
Old 12-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Carpilot

Hmmm, maybe a receiver problem? I don't have a 6100 but I range checked my stryker with an ar6000 in it once and got over 300 feet away and still had full control. I was just looking for the point where I would loose signal with the bind button pressed in and never got there

It does sound like if you lose control with full throttle and regain it with low throttle that your battery voltage is being depressed somehow, I think most ESC's are designed to power a receiver at 5 volts (with up to 11.1V) lipo packs, maybe check that the power to the receiver isn't dropping too low during high current operation.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Sign Guy

That's a good point. I never thought to check that! I did forget one item though, just before it loses the signal (holding down the bind button) the throttle pops to full then off.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 PM
speedpro 1

i was flying my park flyer with my dx7 and ar6100 level flight 200 ft away just took a nose dive after only four flights no elevator control i thought i may have had a mechanical failure on the elevator. so i took the 6100 and put it to another plane for three or flights just to see if the 6100 was ok it seemed to be ok so i replaced the crashed plane with sometime like the old plane . fifth flight level no more than 300 feet away same thing nosed down had no elevator all other controls ok i was able to cut throttle before impact post crash inspection showed light on solid and all controls working. bad reciever? interfearance? i four one is scared of the6100 . the second crash had new esc, servos same motor and same 6100
Old 02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Jimnie

Speedpro,
Please send me your unwanted AR6100. It seems pretty simple, I have found that AR6100 cuts off when voltage goes below about 3.5. When I tested I found NiMH (like in the Stryker)in the cold were dropping to almost 1 volt under a sudden full power. The speed controls drop out the motor but the radio still drops off line. Lipos are even worse at below 40 degree temps, the output voltage takes a big dive when you apply power. Do a test (after the model has been outside in the cool air for a while) by running the model for a few seconds then powering up to full and watch the light, if it goes out the voltage dropped below 3 something. My biggest problem was with the speed control shutting down the motor power when I didn't expect it. But flying indoors at 60-70 degrees it wont do it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
speedpro 1

you dont wont this 6100 i duplicated the problem last night plane inside charged battery .flipped the receiver a couple of times 5 seconds later motor not on and tx not touched elevator went full down 2 sec then bad to neutral 5 second later rudder went to full right and stayed ther i reached down and moved the rudder stick and the rudder would not move just stayed full right all other controls including motor working properly. touched rec rudder went to neutral five seconds after that i saw the orange light go off 1 sec then back on could duplicate again after that with same battery still hooked up for the next 30 minutes also when the elevator and rudder move by thierself rec light was on solid
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Jimnie

Speedpro-
Hmm, interesting. I assume this is in an electric model with ESC. Would you try plugging a regular 4.8 cell battery in place of the ESC and see if the result is the same. I am having issues on my Berg rx with some no-name ESCs that aren't working properly when I first plug in the battery.
Jimnie
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
speedpro 1

its done it with two different esc jeti 25 and a new jeti spin 33
Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
ElectricDurango

You know whats interesting. I was having lots of cutouts, failsafe's, lockouts etc on my 6100. When I re-programmed my esc for lower timing the cutouts quit.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Sirs:

In case you dont know there is a RECALL on all AR6100 Rxs. If you go to www.spectrumrc.com and look at the 6100 recall They will tell you what to do. What you described with the full down and then rudder lock is something that the 6100s are known for and they need to be reprogrammed. This is a FREE service. Go look at the web site and follow directions.

Hope this helps.
Alan
Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
skorp_jon

That's why i'm buying futaba. Spektrum is unreliable.

I wonder who will pay for all the damage that has been made with these spektrum unreliable receivers.

I'm glad that i didn't buy spektrum system.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Skorp_jon:

That is fine, I remember when Ford came out with the PINTO everyone loved it but then it exploded with rear end collisions, RECALL. I remember when Futabe Bought out KRAFT radio systems. I also remember when Futabe first started to make radios. They had SEVERAL RECALLS........ Im not here to bash anyone I have JR FUTABA and Spektrum. I use them all. I have had no problems with any of them. If I crash a plane I kick myself in the "you know where" and plan the next flight. All im trying to do is help poeple out on here, that is why we have these awesome forums.

Alan
Old 05-14-2007, 08:16 PM
skorp_jon

I also have JR radio and i'm happy with it. But it's not 2.4 ghz.

I have decided that i will stay on old frequency for some time.
I think that in couple of months these bugs will be fixed.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 AM
motradd

I think Horizon Hobby has found out what the problem is with the Stryker F27C and the AR6100. Here is the issue. The stock ESC is an Eflite which is capable of handling 25 Amps. The plane itself draws between 22-25 Amps depending on flying conditions etc. If the ESC was to cut off and then back on during flight because of tapping out the AMPS you might not notice it all that much with a standard 72 mhz transmiter and receiver. However, with a DX7 and a AR6100 there is a 3-7 second bootup if this happens in midair. You know what can happen with a Stryker in 3-7 seconds. Not good. So, the recommendation that I am hearing Horizon Hobby recommend is to take the stock ESC out and put in a 40 AMP esc. Supposedly, there should never be a cutout again in mid air. It appears as if this is happening across the country so definitely take note. It makes complete sense that this is a possibility.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Thrasher7811

In case you didn't know, the AR6100 were recalled (about the beginning of may) for a glitch problem. They have since rewritten the receiver software to take care of the problem. They said that the AR6100 would reboot if a certian input was combined with a certian distance. Perhaps that was the problem.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Haven't had a problem with my Stryker on an AR6000 with the DX7. Not a lot of flights yet, but lots of full-throttle running. Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe it was just the bug in the AR6100, which now should be fixed with the recall.

DK
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
zoott

What does the most up to date version of the AR-6100 sticker say?
V1.2??
Old 05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Thrasher7811

I just got a new 6100 from my LHS which he said was a new one and it says V1.2. However, I set up my stryker with a 6000 and I have some serious range problems. I don't know how far away you're suposed to be able to get (with the bind button held) and still have control. All I know is that I was flying my stryer today and the signal went dead. It was about 300 feet away and maybe 30 feet up and in the middle of a bank if went to failsafe and "Landed" with a few broken pieces of foam (no worries, I glued it back together). I was wonding what I may have wrong. I have the antennas of the 6000 sticking out both sides of the ele. cover. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM
electricpete

How do you contact Horizon in England. I don't seem to be able to find an address or telephone number.

Peter