Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Spektrum and video downlinks

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
d_wheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum and video downlinks

Originally Posted by d_wheel
Originally Posted by d_wheel
So far I have not had any success with aerial photography with my Spektrum radio. I have been doing some testing with an EasyStar with nothing but bad results. When I tried a 2.4 ghz down link (as mentioned in an earlier message), it decreased the range check by about 50%. Also, when the DX7 transmitter was near the video receiver, it completely blanked the signal. I decided not to try a flight test. Monday I tried it with a 900mhz video link (250 mw output power). The range check was decreased slightly (still more than the stated minimum) ,but the servos on the airplane would buzz when the video transmitter was turned on. I decided to go ahead and do a flight test which ended in very bad results. Everything was normal until the airplane was about 400' up and 200' out. At that point, the receiver went into failsafe. The motor shut off and the airplane started a slow right circle. There was a 7 mph wind blowing and each time it made a circle it was further and further away until none of us were able to see it. Not once during this time, about 3 or 4 minutes in failsafe, did it give any indication that it had regained link.

The video transmitters in both cases were about 2 inches from the AR7000 receiver. If I do any more testing, I will locate the transmitter further away from the r/c receiver, and also add a relay to the system to turn the video transmitter off if it looses link. This should be possible by connecting the throttle output to a “Y†cable and using it to control a relay controlling the video transmitter power. Another choice might be adding a mix from throttle to the gear channel to control the relay.

By the way the video systems worked with very few problems using a Futaba tx/rx. I have had it so high that it was just barely a dot in the sky, and at least ½ mile out. It would go into failsafe at times, but always came back almost instantly.

Later;

D.W.

--------------------------------------------------------------

After finding the airplane (about 48 hours after it was lost) I have come to the conclusion that the fly away was definitely not related to the receiver losing binding with the transmitter as it worked perfectly the first time power was applied. I am about 80% sure that the problem was not related to the proximity of the video transmitter to the ar7000 receiver. When found, the plane was hanging from a tree limb about 15 feet from the ground. The canopy, which contained the video transmitter, was hanging by the associated wiring. After removal from the tree, I noticed that the wiring harness running from the main LiPo pack was actually melted into the plastic canopy latch, and looked as if it had been burned. When I pulled it loose, the wires started glowing and then burned in two (I had added an extension made from smaller gauge wiring which acted like a fuse in this case). My conclusion is that when I locked the canopy on just before launch the wires were caught in the latch. Several minutes later while in flight the insulation failed allowing the wires to come into contact. The high current burned the wire in two which in turn removed power from the motor and radio. When this happened, the radio appeared to go into failsafe, making me believe that the video transmitter had desensitized the radio receiver causing it to lose link. The short circuit could of course been caused by the crash, but I am sure enough of my conclusion that I will give it another try. I will, however, this time add the video transmitter cut off as mentioned in the earlier message just in case I am wrong. Walking around it the bush was fun when I was a youngster, but that era has long passed.

I will try to keep everyone updated when the test results are in.;

D.W.
Finally some success with a video downlink! After repairing the Easystar, I reinstalled the video equipment exactly as it was before. The range check was normal with video off, but with it on and motor running the rudder went about 1/2 right. I still had control of the rudder, but it center would shift. I know this is an extreme case (a video transmitter 2 inches from the receiver and a rats nest of wires piled on top of everything, even touching the antennas) but it seems that 2.4 ghz isn't TOTALLY immune to noise. If you were to see the wiring you wouldn't be surprised that I had trouble . I rearranged all of the wiring inside the cramped fuselage making sure nothing was touching the receivers and all was well. I first flew with video off just to make sure the receiver had full range. No problems. The next flight was with video on and everything went perfectly! I am now satisfied that with a little attention to wiring and placement of components that 900mhz video is compatible with the AR7000 receiver.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 AM
AlphaOrion

Default RE: Spektrum and video downlinks

I think it is great that you are trying out the new spekrum and video downlinks. I was about to purchase replacements for my 2.4Ghz Black Widow Flexwav, which were lost while flying one of my park flyers. I know this was due to the transmitter antenna snapping back parallel to the fuselage, which I had already confirmed created some interference, apparently at the distance (.3 mile) it was too much and my plane plunged into the sea. No recovery. But still I am more cautious about deailng with interference and wish to find out as much as I can before flying another one of my ships with video. Add to this the new worry of upgrading radio systems to the 2.4 Ghz systems and do believe we all need to test properly. I personally hang around high power 2.4Ghz wifi transmitters, 2.4ghz phones, and from the local cell phone company, know of the existence of at least four or five direct links using 2.4 Ghz passing above my farm where I fly my plane. I will let you know of any experiences regarding 2.4Ghz as well, but also post any other experiences here please!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:16 AM
d_wheel

Thank you AlphaOrion,

By all means, be sure and keep us informed about your experiences. I enjoy flying with video equipment. I am also a private pilot and the costs of flying full size aircraft is becoming very high. Flying while watching a video screen is ALMOST as good as being up there myself! Any information that makes it easier and/or safer is always appreciated.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
elena.prekrasnaya

I had no luck with Spektum DX7. After some testing it went back to the shop. When I turn ON spektrum tx nearby by video rx, I get strong horizontal lines on the screen. (500mw, 2.4 video setup).
Old 02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
rcking
My Feedback: (8)

Hello
are any of you guys using diversity recievers?
stan
Old 02-08-2007, 05:55 PM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: elena.prekrasnaya

I had no luck with Spektum DX7. After some testing it went back to the shop. When I turn ON spektrum tx nearby by video rx, I get strong horizontal lines on the screen. (500mw, 2.4 video setup).
Same here, but I don't think it is caused by any fault of the DX7. Both are transmitting in the 2.4ghz band and therefore interfere with each other. After experiencing similar problems, I switched to 900mhz video equipment and now all is well. By the way, in case you are not aware, 500mw video is not legal unless you are licensed. Unlicensed users are limited to 10mw.

Later;

D.W.

ps, just noticed you are from Canada. The video power limitations may not apply in your case.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM
lewandom

where r U getting 1 10mw power restriction in the US, i looked at the FCC's website, and all i could find is above 1 watt (1000mw) requires a lisense
Old 02-19-2008, 07:53 AM
HugeBruce

From 400 feet up you lost power and your plane circled for 3-4 minutes.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Mr.Pibb

Been using a 500mW 900MHz video system with my DX7 for a while now. Range was reduced slightly initialy, but was re-gained by using twisted servo extensions and twisting the wires on the servos themselves. I was able to fly over 1 mile away from the launch site (although that nearly ended in disaster). It's all about reducing the 900MHz noise that winds up in the servo wires and floods out the electronics in the RX. Ferrite rings help to reduce the RF interference as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 AM
closetflyer

ORIGINAL: lewandom

where r U getting 1 10mw power restriction in the US, i looked at the FCC's website, and all i could find is above 1 watt (1000mw) requires a lisense
In USA, any and ALL 'intentional radiators' must be qualified by FCC and issued FCC ID number..... OR item can operate within amateur radio bands and requires license to operate.

There is no maximum power level above which you need license.... if it intentionally transmits RF energy, it MUST:

Have FCC ID

OR

You have amateur radio operators license.

What power levels can you operate a non-FCC type qualified transmitter without a license? NONE! How likely are you to be caught? Very unlikely. I am just saying that everyone should be aware of rules and decide, or not, to follow.

Turn over your car's keychain remote.... you'll find an FCC ID number on it because it is an intentional radiator and is intended for non licensed operators.