Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Just curious if anyone has seen, built, or flown this plane?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/blce33725arf.html

Thought it would be a fun twin project to mess around with this summer. Haven't been on the board for a while so not sure how new it is. Searched the posts but didn't find anything about it. Thanks in advance..
Old 02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Just got the white and orange one the other day, was not expecting much for the price but I'm now a believer.

This is a very well built ARF, all laser cut parts and the covering is excellent including the trim detail.

I'm thinking of doing a volter with it, eliminating the fuel tanks will make for plenty of room for the li-po batteries and a pair of Axi 28-20 's will yank er through the air.

Think I'll change the ugly nose wheel strut to maybe a olio or a trailing arm wire.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 AM
alqwad
My Feedback: (12)

I just ordered the Blue one from Raidentech tonight. They had a promo going on for free shipping, which most of us know, is where they really stick it to ya normally. Here's the code: CJFREESHIPPING. Free shipping over 50 dollars. I have always liked this plane and I've decided to do it as an electric. I assume that I'll need two motors, two esc's and two batteries to do it right. We'll see.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
alqwad

Got my 337 today from Raidentech. Absolutely happy with the transaction from them. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived to FL from CA on Thursday. I use the free shipping offer posted above so the plane to my door cost $129. A lot of people have had issues with Raidentech, but this was fast and flawless. The boys in brown even treated the package nicely. Aircraft looked great. Both cowls are fiberglass and the paint was about perfect. Windscreen and side windows are orange-ish/brown and the painted frame on it looks good as well. Covering looks fine and it looks like a good quality build. Again, overall pretty happy with it. The hardware looks complete, I'm sure I'll have to disregard some when it comes time to build. I have been eyeballing a 337 for some time with the hopes of dressing it up to look like an Air Force O-2. I still may recover it, but it looks so good in the current scheme, I may just stick with what I've got. I probably won't get around to working on it for some time, but those interested in getting into one, from what I've seen so far, I'd recommend it. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Phantom pty

Nice Model bought the White and Red. Always wanted to have a 337 Skymaster this seemed to be the time ..!!!! Awsome plane..!!

Should be a fun little proyect..

Thanks for the tip on RAIDENTECH Free shipping

Looking to put a pair of OS 25 LA or FX still pending to decide..once I get tue plane..

regards.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
alqwad

Here are a few mock-up pics to get an idea of what it looks like... The covering job is really pretty nice as well as the paint job on the cowl. I think; however, that I may end up doing it in an O-2 scheme. I bought a roll of dove grey monokote the other day and it's staring at me from across the room. The O-2 scheme is grey, white and black, but I think I can get away with just the grey and black. We'll see. Good luck !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53970.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	662007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46571.jpg
Views:	2529
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	662008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43724.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	662009  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 PM
aerowoof

well I had to order one myself trying to decide glow or outrunner,have a pair of fox 25"s that would be perfect but would like to try electric brushless as that is something I have not tried yet.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
jersue
My Feedback: (40)

I have been flying the Nitro Cessna 337 for a year now, with 87 flights to date. I painted it grey with Air Force markings, added rocket pods and call it an O-2A. See pictures. I power it with two Tower Hobbies .46's swinging 10-6 APC props. It is an EXCELLENT flyer----flys like a trainer--very easy to land. It is hit every time I fly it---the twin rngine sound is terrific. Will fly very well on one engine. An EXCELLENT value for the price. Try one----you'll like it
Jerry in Palm City, Florida

Name:	Hf98672.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	662188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48933.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	662189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52522.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	662190  
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
alqwad

Your O-2 looks great... Did you just paint right over the original covering? It's really nice. I broke down and stripped mine down a bit ago. I'll be doing the white, grey and black after all. The wings are fully covered in white under all of the trim. This will be the basic scheme that I'm going with (without the words on it). Would you mind snapping a few pics of the inside and also, how do you transport to the field? With center section on and wings off? Again, great job on yours !!

Name:	Db84138.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	662321  
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Phantom pty

I have confirmation that mine should arrive on Saturday....

I still deciding if I should go with OS 0.25 FX or with 0.25 LAs

Think the FX should be better performance more power. Any body has any experience with this engines.

LE
Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I'm new here.

Jersue, your O-2 looks great. I was hoping to find a thread talking about the Cessna 337 as I'm in the process now of recovering the one I scratch built about 19 years ago. It has a 87 inch span and is powered by two O.S. four strokes. It was originally covered with red, white and blue Monokote, that's all gone and I've got all the glassing finished with the E Z Lam and a light weight cloth. I'm now into the fill and sand part of the project using Evercoat Easy Sand, it's coming along nicely. Soon I'll be shooting some light weight Evercoat lacquer primer on it. I've yet to make up my mind as to the finished paint scheme. The Navy did have a blue with yellow trim version that really looked nice. It flies and sounds great, I'm hoping to get mine re-done for the club "warbird "event coming up in July. I really like the paint scheme you used, it looks just like the" Oscar Duece." Any suggestions, ideas or information as far as paint schemes will be appreciated.

Thanks and happy flying,

Jim
Old 04-12-2007, 05:32 PM
schwatd

Hey There,

Just ordered mine, started from Nitro but switched to Raidentech, Glad I did. Saved the shipping!!! went from $166 down to $129 even!!!!! Great. Going to power mine with an OS .25LA on the front and an OS .40LA on the back. Going to swing a 10x5 on the front and a 10x6.5 on the rear. I'd like to make some retracts for this one,...hum
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
jersue
My Feedback: (40)

All I did was wipe down the original monocoat with laquer thinner and sprayed the monocoat with grey Rustoleum "primer". Looks good from a few feet away. I transport it in three pieces, the main fuselage with the booms attached, and the two outer wing panels seperated. I rarely take the wing off, but can acess the reciever through the windshield which is held on by four screws. I flew the real O-2 in Vietnam in 1971/1972. Sorry---no pictures of the inside---windows painted black to cover up the ugly orange stock windows. I have ordered the Cessna 337 (89") from KMP and will be dressing it out like the O-2A. It will have two SPE 26 gas engines if they will fit.

Name:	Sq48479.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	662837  
Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
alqwad

Sounds good on the new 337... The SPE 26cc may be a bit too big to try to keep the cowl relatively intact. I have the BCMA version (basically the same). I'm very happy with it powering my Sig Rascal 110. Nice power plant for the plane. The only drawback at all is the carb and muffler configuration; both on the side. I think CERMARK just became the new US distributor for SPE. They have a wraparound pitts style muffler advertised for the SPE 26cc. Maybe something to look into. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:59 PM
aerowoof

schwatd ,
you should reconsider your engine arrangement.I built the royal 336 skymaster 35 years ago,you do not want the heavier engine and larger fuel tank behind the center of gravity.indoing so you would have to balance the plane in worst possible scrnario which would be front tank empty rear tank full.this is only a 5 pound plane any more weight and it becomes a flyability issue.put the larger heavier engine in the nose and save yourself some weight.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
schwatd

I appreciate the advice, I was trying to set the plane up as the real aircraft is. If you check you will find that the 337 has different size engines front to back and the pusher is larger. I was going to try to fix retracts as well.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 PM
aerowoof

you need to look at the wing area anything over 5 pounds and you will have a flying brick.retracts for the mains will be complicated due to the retraction angles.consider the larger 337 for what you want to do,the larger size can handle the weight better.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:25 PM
schwatd

The calculations I did are as follows.

2- O.S.MAX .25FX 8.8 oz each 17.6 oz total, 0.84hp each 1.68 hp total

1 O.S.MAX 0.25LA 6.9 oz, 0.6 hp ; 1 O.S. MAX 0.40LA 9.5 oz, 1.0hp; total 16.4 oz, 1.6hp

2 O.S.MAX 0.25LA 6.9oz each, 0.6hp each; 13.8 oz total, 1.2 hp total

I hope this clarifies why I was trying to set this plane up as scale. We'll have to see how good a job I can do.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
aerowoof

I understand what you are trying to do but consider fuel will be about 30-50% greater on the rear engine than the front so if you use a 6 oz tank in front a 10 oz tank in the rear would be used for the same flight time on both engines.the weightsyou show do not include mufflers which are about 2.5-3 oz a piece.at 5 pounds wingloading is at 27 oz/sq ft at 5.5 pounds it is a tad under 30 oz /sq ft my stafford b-24 has a wing loading of 32 oz/sq ft but the span is 90" and it has flaps to add lift during landing.All I was doing was trying to point out you may have to add weight to the nose to balance everthing out and I have a feeling that these are actually heavier when completed than the advertised weight.55 inch wing with 426 sq inches means watch for tip stalls at low speed.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:11 PM
schwatd

Oh, I agree completely with all of your numbers and weight dist. plus wing loads and safford numbers. I was waiting till i see the wing to see if I can add a mod for flaps to help the landing situation. This all suppose to be for fun and experimentation anyway right? will I'll post some updates when things go right or wrong.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM
aerowoof

when I built my royal 336 I did what you want I had a webra 40 in the nose and a st 56 with perry carb in the rear,plane weighed a bit over 10 pounds and had marginal power.the 56 in the rear had cooling problems and had to be run rich to keep from overheating especially taxing,put a 61 in the nose and was a totally different plane.weighed the same as I replaced the ballast[lead] with engine weight.good luck my 337 should be here tuesday.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:15 PM
alqwad

Got a little bit of the covering done yesterday and cut out the windscreen. I think I may leave it white since the paint is so nice on it. Technically, it should be grey. We'll see. Still can't decide on glow or electric. Hmm... Anyone have any ideas on how the tanks should be mounted for glow?? Also, what about the batteries if we opt for electric? It looks like there is plenty of room for batteres, but getting them in and out would require removing the wing... [>:]

Name:	Vt58027.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	663712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16559.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	663713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88803.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	663714  
Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Phantom pty

Just Got Mine this past Saturday . Beautiful finish, lase cut great covering Job and the hardware is pretty decent...
I cant beleive the quality they put on this planes for the price .. Best Buy if you are looking for a nice little proyect to start....

Notice we need to use Smal servos anybody has recomendations on what servos to use here??

Schwatd --> for the type of set up you are considering I think the same as aerowoof, besides in the real plane you have the Fuel Tanks located on the Wings so is very different balace from what you will get when you have a tank on the front and a larger one in the rearwith also a heavier engine. Recomend you tray similar engines for best results... or you can try My set up///
OS 0.25 LA in the Front
OS 0.25FX on the Rear

This will probably work the way you are looking for (more power on the pusher) and still use same fuel tanks. Good luck [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Phantom pty

aerowoof --> GLOW IS THE WAY TO GO!!!! You cant beat the roar of those 2 engines tuned together...cusing on a low pass over that runway...!!!
Just not so enthusiastic about electric.. For me Sound is part of the FUN in this Hobby..

ORIGINAL: alqwad

Got a little bit of the covering done yesterday and cut out the windscreen. I think I may leave it white since the paint is so nice on it. Technically, it should be grey. We'll see. Still can't decide on glow or electric. Hmm... Anyone have any ideas on how the tanks should be mounted for glow?? Also, what about the batteries if we opt for electric? It looks like there is plenty of room for batteres, but getting them in and out would require removing the wing... [>:]
[sm=thumbup.gif][8D]
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 PM
schwatd

Hey Phantom,

That's a good Idea, I just didn't even think of it. Your right the FX will have significantly more power than the LA. Good Call!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.