Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Liquid cooled touring car

Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Easy rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid cooled touring car

Just ordered one of these from Ebay. Does someone have this ? How good is it ? I hope it works good , it sure adds that special edge on a TC .

What do you thinck ?

Quote from the seller:

Over the last few years battery technology really moved forwards and provided R/C car racing with reliable cells with great performance. The low internal resistance and high capacity of today's batteries has cured the longstanding problems of lack lustre performance and poor duration. But it has brought us a new and irritating problem, HEAT!

Heat is the enemy of high performance electric motors causing constant rebuilds and higher internal resistance which slows Modified and Stock Racing motors alike.

The new Multi Patented TCS has been meticulously developed over the last 12 months to address the "Heat problem" and promises new levels of performance and reliability which can be fitted to your existing car.

With possible changes to racing regulations in mind The TCS has been developed using 4 and 5 cell configurations too, with equally stunning results.

A tiny Micropump
circulates a non-conductive liquid through the system. The fluid passes through a thin plate which is sandwiched between your motor and chassis where your motor's excess heat is extracted into the coolant. Forced by the pump the coolant continues to the cooling radiator which efficiently releases all of the excess heat, into the passing airstream.

You save money too, because overheating destroys your motor magnets, brushes and commutator, meaning constant rebuilding and sometimes blown motors and speedos.

EFFICIENT? - oh yes!

The specially developed TCS pump uses less than 0.5 watt, whereas a typical twin fan setup uses over 2.5 watts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22483.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	614535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82772.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	614536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51240.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	614537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88051.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	614538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38022.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	614539  
Old 02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
aer-wubby

Default RE: Liquid cooled touring car

Hehe, front mount intercooler (that works), nice! I kind of see the motor waterblock being weak on lowering the heat of the motor considering the mounting.. Nevertheless, that's pretty freakin' sweet!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
nbk

hmm
i saw that in my magazine
pretty hefty price,huh?
but it looks awesome
Old 02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shelf queen crap there, I bet no racers will run it.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Easy rider

That's right , no racer will use it except ME !! I will. It looks cool in my opinion. There is no other reason for me to buy one. I just like the idea of running a liquid cooled car :-) that's all.

NBK , in what magazine did you see it ? I bought it for 140$ , retails for around 190$ in shops. It's from a seller in France. It's distributed by TTechRacing ( the guys from the predator X10 'WD buggy )
Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
RURC

They work great. I have 3 of them in some very serious brushless cars. I have also set them up to cool the ESC on some receivers that have liquid cooling pipes on the ESC like the big Schulzes. I hope you like it.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:40 AM
bte214

It sounds kinda gimmicky to me. It looks really neat and I would want to try it personally, but I don't know how well it will work. It seems to me like the "special non-conductive fluid" will spend very little time in the radiator so it won't cool off. And if it did stay in long enough to cool off not much would make it to the motor to cool it off. ALso because it is a closed system the water, er "special fluid" will keep getting hotter and hotter. Even in an open system like in my boat, where cool water is constantly being pushed through, the motor gets warm. Also I'm not very worried that the bottom of my can by the output shaft would be cool. I'd be more worried about the entire can (fan) or the brushes. THat is why boats cooling coils are wrapped around the can and they have water cooled brushes. But, let us know how it works.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 AM
rc10b4_racer

i would get that just for looks but rurc says they work and i trust him cause he seems to be extremly experienced
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM
RURC

ORIGINAL: bte214

It sounds kinda gimmicky to me. It looks really neat and I would want to try it personally, but I don't know how well it will work. It seems to me like the "special non-conductive fluid" will spend very little time in the radiator so it won't cool off. And if it did stay in long enough to cool off not much would make it to the motor to cool it off. ALso because it is a closed system the water, er "special fluid" will keep getting hotter and hotter. Even in an open system like in my boat, where cool water is constantly being pushed through, the motor gets warm. Also I'm not very worried that the bottom of my can by the output shaft would be cool. I'd be more worried about the entire can (fan) or the brushes. THat is why boats cooling coils are wrapped around the can and they have water cooled brushes. But, let us know how it works.
They have worked for me. Now I have the ones for brushless not the brushed ones. There is a difference, well at least the BL one costs more. I have not seen the brushed one. Nothing against your thoughts but if your thought was true then wouldent your car (unless you have an older VWor Porsche) just keep getting hotter. It comes to a predetermined temp and generally stays there, thermostat and all that. YOu are not aware of how fast the pump pumps the coolant. I will say that you need to make sure that you have a good air flow over the radiator. I even put a fan on one I built up. I wish I had them to get photos for you. These were putinto cars that I built for others.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
pyro2

On the surface it looks to be a very smart idea. Having over 25 years in the electronics industry, I'd like to make a suggestion to anyone who wants to use this system. Get yourself some thermal heat sink compound. A web search for it should yield many sources...try to find an industrial supplier...bigger quantity for much less money. It is the white or sometimes grey goo you would find under the heatsink on the CPU in a computer for example. It can be a tad messy, but is very effective. It fills all the gaps between the heat source and the cooling device to an almost molecular level vastly improving heat transfer
Old 02-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: pyro2

On the surface it looks to be a very smart idea. Having over 25 years in the electronics industry, I'd like to make a suggestion to anyone who wants to use this system. Get yourself some thermal heat sink compound. A web search for it should yield many sources...try to find an industrial supplier...bigger quantity for much less money. It is the white or sometimes grey goo you would find under the heatsink on the CPU in a computer for example. It can be a tad messy, but is very effective. It fills all the gaps between the heat source and the cooling device to an almost molecular level vastly improving heat transfer
Like Arctic Ceramique? http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

I use this on my computer at home. You're right - thermal compounds are necessary between the processor and heatsink to aid in heat xfer. If poorly done, you can really goof things up. This might be good to go between the heat source (motor?) and cooling device. Worth a shot, anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
pyro2

hmmm... says right on the page to the above link "perfect for liquid cooling apps".... sounds like a winner to me
Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
carmatic1

heh weve had this in computers for years already... my computer is watercooled and has been so for like 4 years already... that said i would like to see a 'jacket' design of the motor waterblock tho, like it wraps around the motor so it would be a much better fit...
Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM
RURC

ORIGINAL: pyro2

I did not think that needed mentioning but alas I was wrong. I did it because it was the logical thing to do. Good job mentioning it. You can also get it at most automotive supply stores.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM
RURC

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

heh weve had this in computers for years already... my computer is watercooled and has been so for like 4 years already... that said i would like to see a 'jacket' design of the motor waterblock tho, like it wraps around the motor so it would be a much better fit...
Traxxas has a coil you can get for their boats that will fit a 540 sized motor perfect. and if you look I have found them for motors up to 700 sized I beleive from Groupner.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Easy rider

I would rather like to see a motor cooling clamp instead of the manifold but if RURC says it's good I believe him too because I have read most of his posts and he seems like a very smart and experienced guy. He sure gives lots of info in his posts.
Thanks RURC.

And RURC:

Have you got any pictures or ideas how to mount it on a TA05 ? Specially the radiator because I realy like the way it's done on the picture in my first post but I dont see how it's done with the bumper. Is that bumper cut in two ? Do you know a website with more information about this product - I sure can't find any -

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
bte214

ORIGINAL: RURC

They have worked for me. Now I have the ones for brushless not the brushed ones. There is a difference, well at least the BL one costs more. I have not seen the brushed one. Nothing against your thoughts but if your thought was true then wouldent your car (unless you have an older VWor Porsche) just keep getting hotter. It comes to a predetermined temp and generally stays there, thermostat and all that. YOu are not aware of how fast the pump pumps the coolant. I will say that you need to make sure that you have a good air flow over the radiator. I even put a fan on one I built up. I wish I had them to get photos for you. These were putinto cars that I built for others.
As long as it acctually does work I don't have a prob with it. I realize about the 1:1 car thing as I do not have a VW lol. If the pump moves it fast enough it doesn't seem like it would spend enough time in the radiator to exchange enough heat. Looking at the rate water streams out of my boat it just seems like it would be too fast then. But if it works hey why not. Also do you know what kind of "special fluid" it is? Some things you may want to check out is brush cooling (kyosho made a kit) and the water jacket for the super vee.. It's not a coil but a sleeve that fits over it, and it doesn't seem as bulky as a coil. Check out the first few products on this page http://offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm
Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
pyro2

Of course depending on clearance issues, I've seen ads on the boat forum page for silicone water jackets that slip over the motor... something like that hooked to this system could offer a greater contact patch to pull heat away. As for the speed that water passes through a boat system, my beast that has a clutch and a water pump, and it makes the water quite warm at an idle...
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Easy rider

BTE214,

that looks interesting. I could use such a silicon water jacket instead of the manifold could I. I have enough clearance to fit it on. I'll look into that a bit more because it would be much more effective.

Thanks for the tip. ( see , that's why I started this thread )
Old 02-06-2007, 05:05 PM
hands without shadows

[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_equilibrium]Equilibrium.[/link]
Old 02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Yeah, why not wrap silicone fuel tubing many times in a coil around the motor? Silicone fuel tubing can handle 200+ deg engine exhaust; why can't it handle electric motors?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:15 PM
mindwreck

i don't think it conducts heat very well... a better idea would probably be getting some cheap motor heatsink and brazing tubing onto the surface
Old 02-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Easy rider

Because a fuel tube doesn't have a big contact patch with the motor can , not as much as such a jacket or slip-on but you could do it.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 AM
carmatic1

one thick fuel tubing branching into many thin tubes , then intertwined with strips of metal, before being wrapped around the motor, might work... but like i wouldnt want to try it, i dont know where to get special branchy tubing like that...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 AM
RURC

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

I would rather like to see a motor cooling clamp instead of the manifold but if RURC says it's good I believe him too because I have read most of his posts and he seems like a very smart and experienced guy. He sure gives lots of info in his posts.
Thanks RURC.

And RURC:

Have you got any pictures or ideas how to mount it on a TA05 ? Specially the radiator because I realy like the way it's done on the picture in my first post but I dont see how it's done with the bumper. Is that bumper cut in two ? Do you know a website with more information about this product - I sure can't find any -

Thanks for your help.
Here is what Ihave for contact.
http://www.tcscooling.com/
They have almost no information on this on their web site.

Here are a couple of photos on installation.
http://www.tcscooling.com/installation.html

On the 1/8 and 1/5 scale onraod cars I did I did almost teh same thing as you will see in the top right photo. I just cut the bumper to flow the air into the raid. I also did open the front of the body and covered the hole with screen. The inlet hole dose not need to be very big. So start small and go larger till you get what you want. The cars I build were for clients of mine. I do not publish their cars without permission. I will email one of them an see if they will give permission. I have never worked on a TA05 so Icannot give any information on how it would work on that chassis. The 1/5 scale car I did got 2 radiators and fans to provide even more air flow. I dont think the fans were needed but it worked very nicely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.