Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

**Race Engine**

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Rs43EVOman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Race Engine**

Will i plan on getting my first real race buggy, and im looking into engine choices. I realize theres not one engine thats the "best", but peoples opinions, and any cons of the engines would be good to hear. I dont want to hear anything about STS engines, or any other budget engine. I was looking at: novarossi P5, Picco P7-R EVO, RB Concepts C6BB. Of course there are many more choices, what would be other good engines in that price range, and which would you reccoemnd the most. Im proably not gonna get a Ws7III becuase from what ive heard there more TOp-end motors, and my track isnt very big, i would classify it as medium.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: **Race Engine**

P5 would be a good choice then, maybe a v-spec, but I understand they're a bit toppy as well. RB S5 is a really great 'medium' engine, has top and bottom and won't break the bank. You'll hear a lot of people saying their favorite motors (me, for example, I like the S5, so I recommend it). Almost all the 'good' engines will allow you to compete, it won't be until your competing in the a-main that you'll start thinking about specific characteristics of specific engines. Don't deliberate too much, see what your local hobby shop recommends and see what other successful drivers are running, I bet you'll find most of the 'average' racers are not running $300-400 engines... ;o)
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
razzor

if you not looking at top end engines then the P% or similar is the better choice.
Engines in general with fewer ports are more torquey ie: P5 is a 5 port .
Great torquey engine is the new Axe Mamba and Cobra ,JP B5T is also a wicked engine.
Lots others ,check out what is popular at your local track.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
SManMTB

The C6BB is real nice and not very sensitive to clutch setup since it's got a nice powerful low-end. Bad thing it's expensive.
I haven't tried the WS7III but I've heard some say it's more sensitive to clutch setup.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
spura1

Don't forget about Radical engine....

Let others try to cach you..., but if seriously I think the most important is a driver skills and only then P5 or WS7 or any other top engine[8D]

just my 2 cents
Old 03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
livthemoment

like I said in the other engine post.
Maxpower M5B is a crazy torque motor that is controllable (the C6 is crazy torque, but a bit uncontrolable). It is a novarossi based motor.
I recommend looking at bmainhobbies.com because they have some of the best prices.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
what_stanger

some like the ws7 to the c6 because its not as powerful down low, and easier to control out of turns.

just a thought.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:03 PM
dbuggyracer

werks is coming out with a B7 pro the motor really looks nice and its supposed to be really fast.

Dennis Powers
Cen Racing
Old 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Rs43EVOman

Ok, well Ive been running a novarossi T21bF, and it was a preaty torquey motor, ut lacked on the top end. Will the P5 be way better thne this, becuase thats what im looking for.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Losi8racer

yeah the P5 is a pretty good engine and will more top end then the t21bf.

then again in stock form i smoke either one of those...even a modded P5 can't run away... i used to run a WS7III and a P5 , but with me racing so much during the year it was getting costly to rebuild/buy 3 engines a year , so this year is spend about 500 for 1 new one + 2 piston/sleeve /rod sets and bearing sets.of what you consider "budget engines"
Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 PM
ShootPaint

I would have to highly recommend the AXE Rossi Mamba. It has good low end torque as well as top end speed.
The nice part is its price. Althrough priced around most budget motors it gives you the reliability of the higher end/$300+ dollar motors.

The Mamba comes in around $200 and offers you more preformance than you would expect for a motor in that price range.

Give John at www.midmohobbyshop.com a shout. He got me a great deal on my Mamba.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
MassiveMods

Go Tech .21 5 or 7 port engine

Very very good motor
Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Nathan9492

Original:MassiveMods

Very very good motor
i 2nd that
Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 AM
amrelaraby

i think as a race engine i feel like o.s vz-b v-spec why dont you look at it !!???? ive got one hear on my kyosho mp 777 and it is great really !!! believe me it worth lookin at it !!

bye
Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Captain Firearms

ORIGINAL: MassiveMods

Very very good motor

I think that it would be decent of you to mention that you have financial interest in Go engines.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Rs43EVOman

yeah there are a bunch of guys who reccoemedn the Go and STS engines, that just so happen to make profit from them. Thats gonna keep me from ever buying one.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 AM
jonnymac

I'd buy one. But then I don't buy really expensive stuff beacause its a hobby and I cant afford to blow $1000's on it.
there is nothing wrong with GO engines or STS for the money. They offer very good value.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in a buggy all the decent .21's go about the same on most tracks.... actualy sometimes the weaker .21's put the power down better and are actualy faster.... with the tiny tires on buggies you dont need big HP unless your on a huge open track...thats my opinion
Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 PM
livthemoment

ORIGINAL: supertib

in a buggy all the decent .21's go about the same on most tracks.... actualy sometimes the weaker .21's put the power down better and are actualy faster.... with the tiny tires on buggies you dont need big HP unless your on a huge open track...thats my opinion
or unless your are on a technical track that you turn a corner and then have a big jump that only the high torque monsters can handle. (I had an inexpensive engine in at the time and the guys who went fast had the high dollar high torque engine). HP may vary but gitte up and go (torque) when you need comes down to quality.
Big tracks and/or High flying tracks usually need a higher end engine. Flatter tracks, eh, not so much.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Losi8racer

one of the top pro guys down here runs a Go engine...

yeah there are a bunch of guys who reccoemedn the Go and STS engines, that just so happen to make profit from them. Thats gonna keep me from ever buying one.
those guys with those "sponsorhips" well it's actually a big joke...sponsorship includes 10% off engines and parts , and you get a sticker sheet so you can stick a sticker on your car...and they call that a sponsorship...gives you what $10-18(on a engine) bucks off , but an ugly sticker on your buggy ?..nah i'll pass...still i run STS and will keep running for a while...
Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Captain Firearms

There is indeed a big difference between receiving a 10% discount on your engine and being the distributor/importer for a country like Massivemods.

But I didn't mean bad about the Go engine - especially because I haven't seen it in action yet.

The STS is a great engine, but it seems like it isn't as durable as it should be. Maybe it isn't such an big issue since the engine can be rebuild rather cheap.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
jonnymac

Its not just budget engines that suffer durability issues though. Look at the v-spec. I've seen more people on here complaining about their short lived V-specs than any issues with budget engines. The increase in performance (if any in many cases) with buying a $300 engine over a $170 engine are negligible and most people wouldn't suffer slower times in many cases. The gains are not proportional to the price increase IMO
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
shesha

Take a look at the os engine, the parts are pretty much sourced anywhere, I am using the mega 21 from serpent, it's some serious engine, doing well so far. Here is the link not sure who sells them in the US, http://www.serpent.com/product/201407

Personnally when am racing I stick with my O.S. just something that grew on me with time. Take care of your engine and you will have a very long lasting engine, abuse it neglect it and you will hate every engine there is on the market. If this is you first engine, go with something tried and tested, and honestly my nova rossi's have never given up on me, really need to abuse them for them to even show any sign of wear.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Losi8racer

i personally haven't had a durability issue with any STS i have had...althoughbeit that they are all the D21T versions... off the 3 iwent thru last year all of them went over 8 gallons..

the one i'm running now has 4,5 gallons on it , and if the temp outside drops below 50 degrees i still got to bring out the heat gun before it will start..that engine still has some serious pinch in it...

But like shesa said..abuse them and no engine will live long... take care of them and break them in right and they will all live quite a while..even cheaper engines...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
shesha

Sorry forgot to mention the mega21 is on it's 5th gallon now, still going on strong. I pretty much strip down an engine and clean out the carb needles and spot maintenance check after every gallon, basic clean up after one days worth of running will keep your engine running strong, do a temp check when you notice a change of tone with the engine, chances are your running rich or lean, and watch the fuel lines fuel filter and air filter, fuel tank should be pressure checked once in a while when things dont run right, and keeping fresh plugs keeps in check when your having startup issues and idling issues will keep you happy.

Again, maintenance, maintenance, just how you keep your car clean you should not neglect your engine, it's the heart of the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.