Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Midwest judges certification and training seminar May12th

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Midwest judges certification and training seminar May12th

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Midwest judges certification and training seminar May12th

This event is open to anyone who is interested in getting certified and or learning more about pattrn flying.
The event will include a morning judge training seminar and an early afternoon session on trimming your planes by the famous Mr. Dave Guerin. Now if you have the opportunity to learn to Dave's methods of trimming I highly suggest you jump on it. After Dave's lesson we will be proceeding to our local field (Tri-Village) that is only a mile away for some hands on training/instructional practice. I expect that weather providing that we will be flying the whole weekend for those who are interested in staying over Saturday night.
We are planning a Saturday night get together at at local eatery for those who are staying over.

The link for this event and the instructions to sign up are here:

http://www.nsrca.org/d5/Documents/20...%20Seminar.pdf
Event is in Hoffman Estates Il. 25 miles NW of Chicago were the roads are now more open for anyone coming from the east.

We need a head count ASAP so we can be sure that the facility we have rented is big enough. If we get too big we have a larger place available. Please pay Chris Moon via paypal or check.
Everyone is welcome to attend. Have a great 2007 flying season, Mike Mueller D5AVP.
PS: Please feel free to chime in if you have any questions or if you are coming let me know with a posting here. If you have any requests on how to make this event even better let me know. Thanks again, M2
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Midwest judges certification and training seminar May12th

Thanks Mike. For those who are considering attending, we still have spaces available. It will be a great learning experience for everyone regardless of what level you fly at. Please check out the event flyer at the link above for addresses and contact info.

Chris
Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Midwest judges certification and training seminar May 12th

Just like the Phoenix event, a number of models will be available for qualified pilots to test fly including my Oxai- Zeque (YS DZ 160 powered), Oxai-Beryll (Hacker C50 14xl), New Focus "Sport" (YS 110 powered) and the attached little marvel...which will be available ONLY with a buddy box...

Yes, another photo of my new "Stick Plane" created using the "Official 2007 USA F3A Team Stick Plane Contest" template by Raiko Potter.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba, Team YS Performance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13891.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	656505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79260.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	656506  
Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 AM
mups53

Hey Rusty imagine in the future when micro electronics are more developed and we will actually be able to fly planes that small in our living rooms.
I want one of those stick planes. How do I get one?
So far the seminar attendance #'s look strong. Its going to be a great weekend of learning. I hope that the event proves to be a platform for a much larger pattern flyers type of get together in the future. Thanks for your support and offering to bring Dave Guerin to the event.

Mike Mueller

Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
BERUSTY

New presentation: "Winning" by Dave Guerin

Background:

As many of you are aware, Dave Guerin and I have put together a number of "Precision Aerobatic Clinics" the last couple of years. My basic goal was to replicate my experiences attending adult golf, tennis and management "camps" by providing specific information, concepts, themes in a concentrated setting...believing that "I" share similar realities of many pilots. "Our" shared reality includes balancing a family, career AND not neccesarily having (10) experts to turn to in my local flying club. I presented the idea to Dave the Fall of 2005 and we agreed to schedule the first event. Each of the (3) events Dave and I have put together (Dave is "Technical", I am the "Cruise Director") have provided additional experiences to not only improve the program but to more clearly help the attendees "Win". Winning has many personal definitions, each relevant and can be achieved with education and exposure to "Winning" strategies.

"Winning" by Dave Guerin is a new presentation focused on applying the rule book to YOUR flying to achieve your personal definition of winning. Dave feels that the presentation is best shared in conjunction with a judging seminar, recognizing that many pilots simply have not read the rule book and are flying based on rumor and pattern lore. The lecture portion will require about 30 minutes, questions will more than likely follow, therefore requiring a total of about about 45 - 50 minutes.

If this is of interest, Dave will be happy to share during his visit to Chicago.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
ENO
My Feedback: (2)

Rusty,
I think that's a great idea. I would appreciate listening to Dave's presentation. I think it would be good for all of us who attend.

Doc
Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
BERUSTY

As a special treat, about 25% of the worlds supply of Zeque's (3) will perform a precision formation routine to music...piloted by ENO, ual767 and BERUSTY.

mups53 or precision aerobatic optimist "bla bla")will be the "caller" for the effort, stay tuned!

The attached photo will give you a sense of what you will experience...imagine the plane behind the Zeque is another Zeque and pretend that, behind that one...is another Zeque...mups53 (the pair of legs in the photo) proclaims over a very sophisticated PA system..."Gentleman, start your engines with your favorite motivational music theme playing in the background...goose bumps?

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Fd91923.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	658580  
Old 04-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Chris Moon

This is going to be a really fun event guys. Although the thought of a 3 way Zeque midair would be quite expensive require months of therapy for Doc and Rusty and myself.
As of today (4/15) we have only 5 seats available. At this time we are not planning to move to a larger room, so that will probably be all that are available. I have received the training materials for the judging seminar portion of the event and they are first class and really well done.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
BERUSTY

UAL767,

My special aerial demonstration does not neccesarily mean that the models will leave our hands...think of it like the "Caddy Dance" in the movie Caddy Shack, when the caddies had 10 minutes of country club pool time...

Rusty

P.S. I have not "Officially" enrolled, can Dave and I have (2) of the remaining (5) seats?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Chris Moon

No problem. I was actually counting you and Dave already since I knew you both were going to be there.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 AM
mups53

Hey we have more guys coming to our seminar than we usually get at our contest. I sure hope the weather gets better and soon. Oh ya we deserve a whole flying season with good weather. We had terrible conditions at all the contests last year. Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 PM
BillB

Wimp! Comeon Mike, it wasn't always that bad. Yeah, Rusty's contest was a bit cool and breezy, Cincinnati had a crosswind and some morning fog. St. Charles had rain. Muncie is always windy and rainy. ... Hmmm you may be right. But that's why we are all so good in the Midwest.

Bill
Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 PM
mups53

Don't forget to add that Milwaukee had huge crosswinds and Tri-Village shut down due to 30MPH+ crosswinds too. It was the worst year for weather that I cab ever remember having in all the years I have been flying pattern. Good thing that Bobby always had a stocked cooler with Coor's lights and we have such a great time. Mike
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
BillB

Ahh. The "Chicago Style" as Chris Moon calls it. Can't think of a greater bunch on guys to hang with when the weather sucks! Or any other time.

BTW have you heard anything about Rusty's contest in Port Washington this year????

Bill
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
BERUSTY

Pattern Contest in Wisconsin

The 2nd Annual Wisconsin Pattern Classic will be held on September 8th and 9th at my home field in Port Washington/Grafton, Wisconsin. Additionally, I am the Contest Director. All classes including "Club Class", FAI will fly P-07 on Saturday and F-07 on Sunday...a little warm-up for the World Champs...

Photo is of the "helpers" who made the event a reality...

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba, Team YS Parts and Service

Name:	Pn36100.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	666971  
Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 AM
mups53

Bill your so right.
Rusty can you order some better weather this year? Great news about the PW #2. Thanks, Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 AM
mups53

Just to update everyone on the seminar.
We have 30+ people coming which is really awesome.
Bring your $ and check books as we will have many items available for sale to raise money for our 2007 F3A representitives. Rusty Dose has spearheaded the fund raising effort with a goal to raise $40.000. Seems like a lot of money but remember that we have to send a 10 member team to Argentina for the better part of 2 weeks. That's $4000 a guy. I think that would put them on a pretty tight budget what with having to ship their equipment to boot.
I will have most of the items with me on the contest trail this summer. So anyone wanting hats, T shirts, Graphics, sweatshirts and all the items just let me know and I'll get them to you.
You can view the items on this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55..._1/key_/tm.htm
Thanks and see you soon, Mike Mueller
Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
mups53

OK 35 people are showing up now. That's a lot bigger event than we thought it was going to be so Chris and I are really pleased. I only hope that this is a peek at a great season of pattern for us in the Midwest. Our meeting facility is going to be filled to the brim so Chris spent the morning looking at a couple of bigger places but in the end we thought it best to stay at the La Quinta.
The field is open for anyone wanting to fly on Friday. Just give us a hollar and we'll do what we can to have someone there to fly with you. On a normal decent Friday there are usually a few guys practicing like Bobby and Mickey. See ya soon, Mike Mueller
Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 AM
BERUSTY

Midwest judges certification and training seminar May 12th...

I picked up Dave Guerin at the airport this evening and is looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. Dave has a new presentation called "Winning" which he shared at an event last weekend in Winston-Salem. The presentation connects the concept of good judge and knowledge of the rules makes for better flying...

Dave and I will be bringing Bill Cunningham who is enroute from Tulsa, OK as I am writing this to spend the day at my home field on Friday. I am expecting a few of the local precision aerobatic enthusiasts including Mike Dorna, Marv Ingerson, Bob Kohler and Claude Weimer has made the trip from Omaha for the weekend.

I will have a few models which time permitting, your personal skill and confidence will be able to fly including the Oxai-Zeque powered by the YS DZ 160 and an Oxai-Beryll powered by the Hacker C-50 Comp motor. Very different airplanes which I have found to be very enjoyable to fly.

As Mike Mueller has previously mentioned, I will be bringing enough 2007 USA F3A Team apparel for all of your Mother's Day shopping needs...I will bring the "Limited Edition" toilet bowl brush and a brand new item just in time for the contest season...another "Limited Edition" item designed to protect the wearer from "bullschido" provided by fellow pilots. The jump suit made of a chemical resistent material, has zipper front, features "Team USA" flying eagle black logo and is available for a limited time, $35.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba, Team YS Parts and Service
2007 USA F3A Team Fund Raising Coordinator
Old 05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
lgibjones
My Feedback: (38)

Hi,

I just got back from this event, and I wanted to say thanks to the organisers. Pattern has been an interest of mine since I first read the EU1A build articles in Flying Models when I was 8 years old. My task now is to get some type of airplane ready for the sportsman class at the June 30th Hoffman Estates competition.

Encountering a community like this has really reinforced my interest, and is a great way to make the hobby grow.

Best regards,

Gilbert
Old 05-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Chris Moon

Thanks to everyone who attended. We had a great time both at the seminar and at the field afterwards for practice and critique. Special thanks to Dave Guerin for coming in from North Carolina and sharing his wisdom and giving us flying and coaching pointers. We has 33 participants today from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, and Oklahoma!! 4 time F3A World team member Bill Cunningham deserves special mention for coming up from Oklahoma to fly with us for the weekend.

Chris

Picture attached from today with F3A Team fund raiser Rusty Dose addressing the group

Name:	Zx71222.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	683182  
Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 PM
mups53

Thanks Gilbert, it was really nice to meet you. I think you will enjoy pattern. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help and I hope to see you around soon.
To all those who attended thanks you really made this an event.
Dave Guerin gave a great talk on winning in pattern. Thanks Rusty for arranging for Dave's attendance.
Rusty has a knack for getting people fired up about pattern. His enthusiasm is contagious. Rusty gave a speech about his efforts to raise money for our team this year. His reasons are right and I hope everyone will buy into what he is trying to accomplish and help us get to our goals and beyond. He also talked to Bill Cunningham and got him to drive up from Tulsa. I was out of pattern when Bill was selected to represent the US FAI team 4 times. It was a real thrill to meet him. He brought his Naruke Astral with him and all I can say about the plane is wow!!!!!!! Bill demonstarted to us that he is back and ready to make his claim again in a grand fashion. His flying skills are really upper crust. He should be a real serious contender to make the team this year. After meeting the man I'd have to say I'm pulling for him.
In all we had folks from 9 different states. Chris Moon and I want to thanks everyone for making this such a fantastic event.
I know that Chris took a lot of pics from the event and will be posting them soon.
Have a great season everyone, Mike Mueller
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
4pntrll
My Feedback: (1)

Hat's off to you guys, (Mike, Chris, Rusty and Dave) for the great job! You got through it in fine fashion and in record time. The best part was the 2 minute discussion on snaps and spins! Seriously, you made your points and moved on, didn't let the "peanut gallery" get out of hand and the flying at the field was a nice touch.

Mups, I gotta agree with you about Mr. Cunningham! He hasn't missed a beat. I saw him fly years ago and he looked just about as good on Saturday. I'm glad he's back too. Looking forward to getting my butt handed to me by him.

Back in the shop ... you guys know why ....[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Mike Dorna