Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

DX7 Air versus Heli Version Thoughts...

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

DX7 Air versus Heli Version Thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
taylorcoleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 Air versus Heli Version Thoughts...

Hello all. I just received a Spektrum DX7 Air version radio, though I don't fly planes, only helis (at least for now). It will cost me about $35 and up to 2 weeks without a radio to return it for the Heli version.

I understand there are some slight advantages to the heli version (e.g. no ratchet on the throttle and some different switch placements). However, the software is the same for each.

So, any thoughts on whether it's worth the time and expense to exchange?

BTW, excellent post on this forum for DX7 setup for Trex--thanks for those.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
bobthehobo9

Default RE: DX7 Air versus Heli Version Thoughts...

i have the air version DX7 and only fly helis. its really easy to remove the throttle ratchet, it can be done in about 3 minutes with a screw driver... just remove the back cover and replace the ridged metal band on the throttle with the smooth one that the transmitter came with. you'll know what to do... as for sending it back: i wouldnt spend the money to get the heli version, the air version works fine... all ive noticed is that the names of some switches are different and the positions are slightly different.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
taylorcoleman

Thanks. Good points below. Considering I might also fly planes at some point, maybe I'll just stick with the Air version.

Since we're on the DX7 topic, is there both a DSM and a DSM2 version of the DX7? My box says DSM, not DSM2, but I thought that all DX7's were DSM2 (along with the ability to communicate with the AR6000).

Spektrum seems to make a great radio, but for me, the different versions seem a little confusing.

ORIGINAL: bobthehobo9

i have the air version DX7 and only fly helis. its really easy to remove the throttle ratchet, it can be done in about 3 minutes with a screw driver... just remove the back cover and replace the ridged metal band on the throttle with the smooth one that the transmitter came with. you'll know what to do... as for sending it back: i wouldnt spend the money to get the heli version, the air version works fine... all ive noticed is that the names of some switches are different and the positions are slightly different.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
bobthehobo9

thats a really good question! but, i really dont know how to answer that... my tx says DSM2 towards the bottom right...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 PM
taylorcoleman

OK, yes, mine says DSM (and then a 2 underneath). The box says only DSM. So I presume the box is just not labeled properly.

Thanks again.