Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

a choice between 5 trucks, need help making it

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
savage x ss
27.12%
revo 3.3
13.56%
MGT 4.6
28.81%
GST 7.7
30.51%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

a choice between 5 trucks, need help making it

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
dinmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a choice between 5 trucks, need help making it

im interested in buyng a nitro rc monster truck. i have never
owned one and have been looking at some for awhile. these are the ones i was looking at:

warhead evo
savage x ss
savage x 4.1
T-maxx 3.3 - heard it only has one servo
revo 3.3

its hard to find reviews on all these trucks... id like to get some feedback of what one of these is the best?

best as in all round greater then the rest.

UPDATE --- added a poll like someone suggested in this thread, it seems there are alot of different views and some only have experience with some of the trucks. i like the feedback tho i also eliminated some of the trucks and added some others as some suggested

thanks

Dinmaster
Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
T-Mo69

Default RE: a choice between 5 trucks, need help making it

it depends on what u want but I have a T Maxx and a Revo3.3....i prefer the Revo, handles better and everything is spread apart on the chassis so it is easy to work on
Old 04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
nitromonkee

Default RE: a chaice between 5 trucks, need help making it

Well, I have a Revo, and it's great! It's faster than the other trucks, and takes a great beating. They're all great, but I would rather get a Savage x, Savage x ss, T-maxx 3.3, or the Revo over the Warhead. The only thing I've broken on my Revo is the carb which was a one in a millon thing; and yes, the T-maxx has only one steering servo.

I'll try to send you a review later.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Chronic

The Savage X SS... but it's a kit. It comes with no electronics so you need to supply your own radio, receiver, steering servo, throttle servo, and RX battery pack. If you want reverse, then you also need a reverse module and another servo to operate it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:04 PM
-SomeGuy-

I think the most important is what do you want out of an MT. Are you wanting to race at a competetion level or do some hardcore bashing or maybe just run around the neighborhood having fun? Different trucks for different uses, let us know and we will steer you in the right direction.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:07 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: Chronic

The Savage X SS... but it's a kit. It comes with no electronics so you need to supply your own radio, receiver, steering servo, throttle servo, and RX battery pack. If you want reverse, then you also need a reverse module and another servo to operate it.
you 4got motor

but i prefer tmaxx over the other's not that iv drivin any besides the tmaxx and warhead.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:17 PM
MrN8

I say, buy them all and drop them off your roof. Which ever one survives the best, keep it and return the otheres.

Seriously, of those, I'd definitely go with the Savage X SS.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Alteramod

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: Chronic

you 4got motor

but i prefer tmaxx over the other's not that iv drivin any besides the tmaxx and warhead.
the savage x ss does come with a motor. Well actually there are two versions to the kit. One has motor and no electronics, the other version doesnt have either (which isnt in yet at towerhobbies, but soon to be)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRSJ7&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMYA2&P=0
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
jonnymac

Yeah of the ones u listed definatley the sav X SS. It has upgrades over the others and you get to choose your own radio.
Its no contest IMO. Now if an MGT was in the list it would be different, but it aint.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM
duckedup

I'll have to go with the X SS also - it's a hopped up truck, stock...
Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM
-EXTRA-

oh sweet didnt know it came with an engine.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:51 PM
dinmaster

i didnt see the Monster GT MGT RTR SE 4.6. this truck is better then those listed?

also to reply to the other gentlemen, i jsut want to have fun around the neighboorhood and bash it. i don't plan on competitions.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: dinmaster

also to reply to the other gentlemen, i jsut want to have fun around the neighboorhood and bash it. i don't plan on competitions.
Then i have to agree with most and say the savage XSS is the way to go, the ONLY thing i would suggest as an upgrade is a set of LCGs to reduce roll overs while turning. If this is something you think you might want then Chronic is the man to speak to about this.

A pic of his stock lenght LCGs and everything that comes with it:
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
jonnymac

The MGT is as good as, not necessarily better. Depends what you want to do with it. Also its cheaper than most. For bashing it will suit your needs very well, and its huge
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GST 7.7
LST 2
Savage X SS
Savage X
MGT
Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
89ram

i have'nt driven a savvy, but saw one called bullet-proof break down. i've seen several t-maxxes break relatively easily. i've owned warheads, lets not even go there. i currently own big block revos. i'm not going to say they don't break. the big block motors can create problems that probably would'nt occur otherwise. what i'm trying to say is, that a stock revo 3.3 is a pretty darn tough piece of machinery.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 AM
JUCD VPR

the GSt 7.7 TOWERS over EVERY other 1/8 scale truck i've ever seen! Plus it has 5HP, 3 speed tranny WITH REVERSE and let me tell you it's TOUGH and will take a BEATING! I sold my Savage SS 4.6 because it bored me after i got the GST, the GST can bash right with the savage without a problem and smoke it in a straight away!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 AM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

the GSt 7.7 TOWERS over EVERY other 1/8 scale truck i've ever seen! Plus it has 5HP, 3 speed tranny WITH REVERSE and let me tell you it's TOUGH and will take a BEATING!
I seriously doubt it has 5HP. When it comes to nitro engines NEVER believe the manufacturers blurb. Realistically its probably nearer 2 hp. I don't know who makes that engine but if its a CEN engine it will most probably run hot and give problems too.
I'm not bashing it just speaking from experience with CEN engines. As its a big un though it might be sourced from elsewhere and be ok.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:34 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

the GSt 7.7 TOWERS over EVERY other 1/8 scale truck i've ever seen! Plus it has 5HP, 3 speed tranny WITH REVERSE and let me tell you it's TOUGH and will take a BEATING!
I seriously doubt it has 5HP. When it comes to nitro engines NEVER believe the manufacturers blurb. Realistically its probably nearer 2 hp. I don't know who makes that engine but if its a CEN engine it will most probably run hot and give problems too.
I'm not bashing it just speaking from experience with CEN engines. As its a big un though it might be sourced from elsewhere and be ok.
I can agree with you that manufacturers probably over exagerate a little bit but saying it only has 2 HP haha yah right it has more then that! If the GST 7.7 only has 2 HP then all other trucks must have 1HP or less! lol and your dead WRONG it dosen't run hot nor give ANY problems.
Just because some older Cen vechicle gave you a problem dosen;t mean the NEW GST 7.7 will, CEN has come a long way and improved ALOT, this truck is the real deal folks, ask anyone who owns one, CEN got it right with this one! It completely SPANKED the crap out of my Savage SS 4.6 so that should tell you something!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
ttoks

i'm going to suggest a poll over just a thread, you get a better idea whats good and whats not that way, can get confusing with everyone saying that one trucks better then the other.

i can only speak from experience with the revo, i will say i have put it through a hell of a beating, but i haven't had anything other then my grandfathers and my brothers revo's to compare it against so i cant really say for durability, although from what others have said here it's good there, power i can see being a bit down on other trucks because the revo's engine is only a size 20, while most mt's come stock with somthing near a size 26, but the revo is lighter out of the box so that can counter that, but on handling and stability i can say for sure that the revo is superior to just about any other mt stock vs stock.

on the subject of the cen, i also doubt it's 5hp power claim, if a manufacture was gonna make a nitro engine with 5 hp it would have a much bigger carb on it lol, i'd bet you could get 25% more power out of it with a 10 mm venturi instead of the 6.5 that they've put on there.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:54 AM
jonnymac

Yeah actually most engines are near the 1- 1.5 HP mark even when they're claimed to be 2.7 HP etc.
Anyway that engine may be ok. But I do have experience with an older CEN engine and a newer one from its matrix buggy. Now that buggy has only been around for about a year, and its engine indeed runs hot. And I aint the only one! pop over to the buggy forum and do a search and you will find lots of people moaning. So CEN aint come that far.
Anyway they may get the bigger ones made in another plant which would probably sort out the problems
I wasn't having a dig at you just saying my experiences.
I'll try and find some data later for the HP thing, and I did say NEARER 2 than 5 that could mean 2.9 hp
The point is till you dyno it you won't know for sure
Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 AM
JUCD VPR

Well I can say from first hand experience that the GST 7.7 motor is awesome. The matrix buggy may be a PO S, but i'm not suggesting the Matrix to this guy, i'm suggesting the GST 7.7. So as far as the GST is concerned CEN has come far in that aspect and thats what i was talking about.
No offense taken i knew you weren't taking a dig at me, i'm just making sure this guy isn't being misinformed about this specific truck.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 AM
nitromonkee

Here are some reviews;

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/pub/Revo33_review/article.htm]Revo 3.3[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=819]Gst 7.7[/link]
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 AM
1badmaro

I would def put the MGT 4.6 on that list. and take a good look at it!! I think you will find that for the $ none of thoes other trucks compair. That truck runs real well and takes a beating and has great aftermarket suport.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
jombo

ORIGINAL: 1badmaro

I would def put the MGT 4.6 on that list. and take a good look at it!! I think you will find that for the $ none of thoes other trucks compair. That truck runs real well and takes a beating and has great aftermarket suport.

yes for the money, i think you could pick it up for 360 at either ultamate hobbies or killer hobbies or a main hobbies. but thats it for the money, but if you want speed and more power either the lst2 or the nemesis is the best bet. sorry i did it wrong, MORE POWER AR,AR ARRR...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.