Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spread Spektrum and F-100 ( heads up )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spread Spektrum and F-100 ( heads up )

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Spread Spektrum and F-100 ( heads up )

ORIGINAL: Ron101

What about Weatronic Receivers and good old PCM.
I was hearing such good things about this combo... then with the influx of SS I haven’t heard as much
Would you put money into Weatronics PCM with spread spectrum on its way in?
do you really think Weatronic has not allready designed or will be using spektrum chips for their next gen Receivers?
it goes really fast , check in about a year from now..
i am sure still 80% of all people will be using a "vintage" 35-70mhz system.........
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"do you really think Weatronic has not allready designed or will be using spektrum chips for their next gen Receivers?
i am sure still 80% of all people will be using a "vintage" 35-70mhz system......... "

Very True...
I'll be watching... in about six months I will really need more than my futaba 9c
I hope it's sorted out by then

Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
kgfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A more appealing (ego trip for me) idea would be to make it "open source".
Here you go, a perfect venue for you to share your wisdom: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651255]Discussion - OPEN SOURCE 2.4GHz (or perhaps 900MHz) SS SYSTEM [/link]
Old 05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

How about the DPSI Twin by EMCOTEC?

http://www.rc-electronic.com/html/en.../englisch.html

You could use 2 receivers and 2 transmitters on different freq 2.4 on the main and 72 for the backup if you want to test it with some backup.

Desert aircraft is a dealer in the US, It's not cheap and you would have to have someone holding the other TX while you fly. But at least you could have some backup in the larger jets that this system could fit in.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Aero65

Jim

Is there any way to use the 72 mhz module in the TX, and have the 2.4 module transmit at the same time? Is there a way to make a splitter off of the pins off the back of the module plugin to enable the use of 2 modules? (For use with the dpsi twin)

Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 PM
kgfly

BTW, in case you are unaware, both the Spektrum and XPS solutions already support multiple Rx in the one plane. Only one Rx provides servo outputs but the extra Rx provide path/polarisation diversity, significantly reducing the (already low) risk of losing the link. For Spektrum the AR7000 has two physically separate Rx and the AR9000 supports up to three. For XPS you can have up to 255 Rx in the one aircraft if you like and they can be independently powered
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 AM
VLAMGAT

ORIGINAL: digitech

ORIGINAL: Ron101

What about Weatronic Receivers and good old PCM.
I was hearing such good things about this combo... then with the influx of SS I haven’t heard as much
Would you put money into Weatronics PCM with spread spectrum on its way in?
do you really think Weatronic has not allready designed or will be using spektrum chips for their next gen Receivers?
i am sure still 80% of all people will be using a "vintage" 35-70mhz system.........
That would be good news if they would learn from the current experience. Seems they have competent people when looking at the overall scope of their product. Sure wish though someone would come up with a good "JET" friendly TX as well......
Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 AM
VLAMGAT

ORIGINAL: kgfly

BTW, in case you are unaware, both the Spektrum and XPS solutions already support multiple Rx in the one plane. Only one Rx provides servo outputs but the extra Rx provide path/polarisation diversity, significantly reducing the (already low) risk of losing the link. For Spektrum the AR7000 has two physically separate Rx and the AR9000 supports up to three. For XPS you can have up to 255 Rx in the one aircraft if you like and they can be independently powered
Multiple antennas and rx's or even antenna diversity systems is not something we tested or researched on our projects and may very well offer a good cheaper solution albeit at the expense of more complication. I assume the XPS system has a network protocol to support this, seeing they dont use the zigbee stack? My antenna designer also has a tx dipole which has the capability to focus RF in a 180 deg area. Maybee a good proposition on the TX side since any signal behind you has not really much purpose...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Mark Taylor

I would like to set the record straight on the crash of my F-100 at TG this weekend, as it seems many are drawing conclusions based on limited information and speculation.

First and foremost, I am 100% confident in the Spektrum RF link, and my next jet will also have a Spektrum system in it. I have been waiting my entire modeling life for a radio system to come along that offers the safety from someone turning on my frequency and shooting me down. Let me, also, state that I am 100% confident that pilot error was not the cause of the crash.

Through the use of the Spektrum flight log data, we know that the RF link was completely solid in all 10 flights prior to the crash, not to mention extensive range testing to verify solid operation in the Flite-metal environment. The flight log provides performance data on each of the 4 receivers in the airplane, as well as total frame losses and whether a failsafe occurred. The worst data we ever witnessed (during the initial flight) was 25 frame losses for an entire flight. We were able to use the data to optimize one of the receiver's location and were regularly seeing between 0 and 6 frame losses in an entire ten minute flight. To put this into perspective, they tell me it takes 44 consecutive frame losses to get a failsafe--slightly less than 1 second.

The fact that another F-100 went in on 72Mhz earlier--reportedly due to a single regulator that was not delivering good voltage under load, had us looking at other elements within the system. Through further discussion with the guys at Spektrum, I was alerted to the fact that the AR9000 receiver stops working much below a 3.5 volt threshold, a so called "brownout", and will go through a re-start once the voltage climbs back up. The bootup would have put the engine at idle (the smartsafe position)--a lockout would have killed the engine.

We quickly started to realize that we, too, may have been getting away with a very marginal power system with the 72meg Rx when we started adding up all the servos (19 of them) going through a single 7.5 amp regulator. Considering that we were about half way through the flight and that we had just completed a dirty pass and were in the process of cleaning up the airplane, starting to G-load for the base turn, we were certainly at a point in the flight where the regulator was likely at peak temperatures and most likely to start giving up. Add the fact that this was the hottest day and hardest we flew the system to date, I would conclude that the single, undersized voltage regulator is the root cause of the crash.

I consider this matter closed.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:09 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Mark,
for safety's sake, what is the brand name of this regulator?

Joe Kelley

ORIGINAL: Mark Taylor

(19 of them) going through a single 7.5 amp regulator. I would conclude that the single, undersized voltage regulator is the root cause of the crash.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually the duratite one is rated for 7.5 and the MPI or batteries america one is rated for 10! Sounds to me that this airplane would have been a great candidate for smart-fly or duralite powerbox or weatronics. Sorry to hear of such a loss over such an easy place to beef the system up. What a shame, and I am so sorry you lost your airplane, duratite regulators, I'm bummed.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:29 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wel, well, well. Looks like the 2.4 Bandwagon will be reloading.
Hope none of you got hurt jumping to conclusions

Sad to hear of your loss Mark. That was one fine mount.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Guys,

I have heard the new Futaba 2.4 system will be able to "jam" the Spektrum system so word on the street is. Any idea if this is true?

Beave

Old 05-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: VLAMGAT
Multiple antennas and rx's or even antenna diversity systems is not something we tested or researched on our projects and may very well offer a good cheaper solution albeit at the expense of more complication. I assume the XPS system has a network protocol to support this, seeing they dont use the zigbee stack? My antenna designer also has a tx dipole which has the capability to focus RF in a 180 deg area. Maybee a good proposition on the TX side since any signal behind you has not really much purpose...

Back ???
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM
VLAMGAT

I would like to set the record straight on the crash of my F-100 at TG this weekend, as it seems many are drawing conclusions based on limited information and speculation.

First and foremost, I am 100% confident in the Spektrum RF link, and my next jet will also have a Spektrum system in it. I have been waiting my entire modeling life for a radio system to come along that offers the safety from someone turning on my frequency and shooting me down. Let me, also, state that I am 100% confident that pilot error was not the cause of the crash.

Through the use of the Spektrum flight log data, we know that the RF link was completely solid in all 10 flights prior to the crash, not to mention extensive range testing to verify solid operation in the Flite-metal environment. The flight log provides performance data on each of the 4 receivers in the airplane, as well as total frame losses and whether a failsafe occurred. The worst data we ever witnessed (during the initial flight) was 25 frame losses for an entire flight. We were able to use the data to optimize one of the receiver's location and were regularly seeing between 0 and 6 frame losses in an entire ten minute flight. To put this into perspective, they tell me it takes 44 consecutive frame losses to get a failsafe--slightly less than 1 second.

The fact that another F-100 went in on 72Mhz earlier--reportedly due to a single regulator that was not delivering good voltage under load, had us looking at other elements within the system. Through further discussion with the guys at Spektrum, I was alerted to the fact that the AR9000 receiver stops working much below a 3.5 volt threshold, a so called "brownout", and will go through a re-start once the voltage climbs back up. The bootup would have put the engine at idle (the smartsafe position)--a lockout would have killed the engine.

We quickly started to realize that we, too, may have been getting away with a very marginal power system with the 72meg Rx when we started adding up all the servos (19 of them) going through a single 7.5 amp regulator. Considering that we were about half way through the flight and that we had just completed a dirty pass and were in the process of cleaning up the airplane, starting to G-load for the base turn, we were certainly at a point in the flight where the regulator was likely at peak temperatures and most likely to start giving up. Add the fact that this was the hottest day and hardest we flew the system to date, I would conclude that the single, undersized voltage regulator is the root cause of the crash.

Mark,
Good info, I am real glad since I would really like to use the JR spectrum technology. The brownout situation you described we have also planned for during testing of our UAV and the RF link thus got its own (backed up supply) I am asuming your regulator is of the linear type. I can also confirm that our project used about 4 JR8511's per control surface. These were originally linked together using matchboxes. Big problem the "idle" current was 5 AMPS for 4 servos. By electronically (hacked) linking all the amplifiers together we got this down to one amp at idle. Under stall this went to 20 Amps+ on a 3700maH 5 cell pack. Linear regulators by nature act like resistors and heat up due to simple physics dictating thet the input versus output voltage difference multiplied by the amperage will give you X heat dissipation in Watts. So if you regulated say 8 volts to 5 volts and you have 5 amps ( A real minimal load for a few digital servos) you have to dissipate 3V x 5A = 15 Watt of heat. A good regulator of the type usually used in these regulators has a heat transfer to ambient of 75 dec C for every watt, thats 75 x 15 = 1275 deg C. Now obviously that is not the case since a good heatsink will reduce this factor many times. HOWEVER a good regulator usually has a thermal shutdown of say 150 deg C at the chip die to prevent its own demise. Now in a dynamic situation it is possible for the silicon die to get to this temperature momentarily and shut down if the heat transfer capacity of the device and heatsink to air system is exceeded.
Do I use regulators, NEVER. If you have to fit one to every primary servo. 7.5 amps wont do it.
You already know that but maybe another opineon will help the rest of the gizmo-believers.

Also inform your mates at the Spectrum design team they may want to consider a buck/boost switching regulator for the RX. This way anything from 1V to 30V will keep the RX happy. Its cheap, all cellphones use them, a linear regulator here is a bad idea with a common power bus shared by servos.

Could you elaborate on the flight log capabilities of the RX system you described?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 AM
kgfly

ORIGINAL: bevar

Guys,

I have heard the new Futaba 2.4 system will be able to "jam" the Spektrum system so word on the street is. Any idea if this is true?

Beave
Unless you have some hard data I suspect this is the same baseless rumour that keeps coming back to life. The AMA recently tested a combination of 16 mixed systems at once including Spektrum, Futaba and XPS without a problem. Similarly there are many end user reports of parallel operation without a problem. And of course Spektrum, Nomadio and Futaba 2.4Ghz terrestrial systems have been working side-by-side on the R/C car tracks for ages now. Consider whether Futaba's engineers (or lawyers) would really bring out a product without rigorous testing against Spektrum, imagine the liability cases!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Flying Arrow

I have mentioned before, Why didn't JR affix its name on the specktrum if it is very reliable???????

I have the specktrum X7 ( didn't use it yet) and I am a user for the JR 10X both the plane and heli versions (35Mhz).

Regards,
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Dunno any details about Weatronics but at first glance seems well engineered and a thought through design.
It's an "ok" design..................

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17609.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	680804  
Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned

You already know that but maybe another opineon will help the rest of the gizmo-believers.
[.............too many gizmos are never any good..............IMO.

Name:	Sq46089.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	680805  
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Finally............sorry about the losses guys..........its the time more than anything that we all can't replace. In the meantime back to the lab guys..............word has it J is planning on taking on the entire planet with his Russian beast...............Team Scale of course.

It's a nice day out..............I think I'll go flying..............Parkflyer for now, until this is all sorted out.

Don't trust anything else at the moment.

Bryce

Name:	Tr51242.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	680812  
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a fabulous looking "Super" Bryce (the bigger one in your image).
Got any scale LG plans
Paul
Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Aero65

Hi Mark

Sorry for your loss of the F-100, and thank you for the explanation of what happened. I know it doesn’t help what happened to you but at least your sharing of the cause might save some of our jets in the future.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

That's a fabulous looking "Super" Bryce (the bigger one in your image).
Got any scale LG plans
Paul
Thanks Paul............but what do you mean "the bigger one in your image"? The foamy is DA BOMB and way more scale...............I put a lot of time into in man, my feelings are hurt [], besides it's the only thing I can fly right now until all this radio chatter gets cleaned up................back to the old radar dish scanner I guess.

Don't need any work on the Supa gear this time, but seriously, I think I will be using your services on the next set of "Sic-Teen" legs................we'll be in touch.

Well my Lipo is charged back up for the foamy.............time to hit the park again before these kids take over.......................damn................... here they come.[]

Later guys,

B

Name:	Xu62570.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	680913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71843.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	680914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18991.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	680915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12119.jpg
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	680916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27874.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	680917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56477.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	680918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77494.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	680919  
Old 05-09-2007, 05:32 PM
kgfly

ORIGINAL: Flying Arrow

I have mentioned before, Why didn't JR affix its name on the specktrum if it is very reliable???????

I have the specktrum X7 ( didn't use it yet) and I am a user for the JR 10X both the plane and heli versions (35Mhz).

Regards,
Because JR don't own Spektrum. Spektrum is owned by Horizon who are also the US distributor for Japan Radio (JR). Spektrum/Horizon were able to negotiate an OEM deal whereby they purchased the X622 and 7202 Tx platforms from JR to which they added their RF technology and a few modifications to create the DX6 and DX7 for sale under their own brand.

However now, JR have adopted "Spektrum Inside" as their 2.4 technology and their new 9303/2.4 and 12x/2.4 do indeed use Spektrum solutions. These are effectively the DX9 and DX12 products but now JR is integrating technology from Spektrum instead of the other way around. [8D]
Old 05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
dribbe

Mark,

Very sad you lost your beautiful F-100. I know you will be back in the game.

I will try to E-mail you the photo I have.
(Happier times!) [&o]

David

Name:	Xt59973.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	681043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40209.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	681044  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.