Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 AM
papajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

ORIGINAL: Warbird-Dave

Been there done that .
I just saw the "Dreaded Prop Strike on the Hand" injuries segment and you guys just have to be monitored more closely, for sure!!! No more injuries!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
chrishornby

I got my Flycam One Version 2 and first impressions are good and as follows:
The resolution on Video and Still is much better.
The problrm with White balance (Green) has been fixed.
No Mirror required.
It has a sequenced picture feature where it takes a high resolution still every 4 secs. This is brilliant for aerial photography.
It can be powered and controlled externally.

Now I am going to make a gyro controlled mount for Flycam2 on my new Pred, and hope to get more stable videos.

In the meantime take a look at my latest film of a top secret (!) military establisment, (taken with Version 1)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SpT8RHiOsy8
Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
RacerX8518

whats the limit on prop size?

I have a predator on its way in the mail and I was thinking about ordering a 2217-09 suppo motor from lightflightrc.com since I'm already planning on getting a different motor for another plane.

If you look at the specs on it ( I think its the same as graysonhobby's motors w/ the same numbering system) its a 950kv etc..etc

11v with a 10x6HD gives around 50mph pitch speed and 32oz thrust w/in amps of my 10c 2100lipo.

so...is 10'' too big or should I just work with a 9''? Any idea of pitch speed/thrust to shoot for?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
papajeff

Racer,

I just took a look at the Suppo 2217-09 and it should work fine. My set-up has worked good from day one and the following may help you;

- Nitro A20-22L motor (924Kv / 6-15A / 18A burst) 200W outrunner
- 3S1P 1800mAh 15C
- 25A ESC
- 9 X 6 SF prop
- AR6100 Rx
- DX-7 Tx

Watt meter results with above set-up: 14.5A / 160W / 11V with just about 90w/lb.
The performance is just perfect for me as I tend to fly the Predator scale-like for the most part. It's also fun to fly it like a powered glider, high enough to become a speck (never a problem with the range of the AR6100 2.4) then motor off and thermal around for 10 min. or so......then do it again. With the prop size, I found that anything larger than a 9" will certainly invite lots of prop strikes on take-offs as well as landings. Let me know what you decide to do and photos are welcomed.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Pappy-86
My Feedback: (6)

With the stock wheels that come with the Predator an 8" prop is about the limit I tryed a 9" prop and it was too close to the ground.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 PM
RacerX8518

I looked at the nitro Motor but like most things they are out of stock . I imagine that I'll use the stock wheels so I'll look for 8" set up. I'm pretty good about cutting power right before touch down to prevent prop strikes because I always belly land but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the quick response. BRAD
Old 12-07-2007, 08:53 PM
RacerX8518

if thats the motor in your video then it's mere than enough power for me
Old 12-07-2007, 09:57 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: RacerX8518

Brad,

That's the motor and I used their 25A ESC and the performance is good for me. I was able to use the 9" prop as I did change the wheels as shown in these photos.

Also, notice in the flying shot of the Predator below, I inserted a loop of .72 piano wire into the lower rear fin to give a little more height for the 9" prop. That, in addition to the larger wheels (I think that they were Dubro from my LHS) have made a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96369.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	820719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76818.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	820720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42314.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	820721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49075.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	820722  
Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
brownlab

you said mere
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
RacerX8518

yeah I got a new tablet pc and was hand writing it for no good reason and my messy writing more=mere.

predator comes tomorow. just have to buy a motor
Old 12-11-2007, 01:28 AM
ryanronning

Damn I have been slow at posting. Well I do appreciate the support here. More than I got at Berg. After a couple dropped calls I went in a different path and got an airtronics vg6000. Really good price and came with a receiver.... So what did I end up with? A new transmitter that rocks... and an extra receiver. But that's good! More parts for future projects.

I have pretty much come to the end of the build, except for the wingspan won't fit in the beetle. So I tried eye hooks with zip ties, but still need to secure the rear part of the wings. Papa Jeff, where is the "green hardware" in home depot? I have circled that place 3 times to no avail.

Thanks,
Ryan
I am attaching a recent shot... I love this UAV!

Name:	Tr51928.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	823332  
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
papajeff

Ryan,

Now that you have the new Tx, you are really going to enjoy flying the Predator. Just remember.........try to fly it "scale-like".........ROG is best when you just let it lift off on it's own when the speed is right......then add a little up elevator.........nice and easy flying with wide aileron turns
with a little rudder added in. Watch the video from post #187 page 8 and you will see what I mean.

Now the Depot "Green drawers" are in the Hardware section by all of the screws and bolts. Ask one of the orange apron guys for the "Nylon Thumb Screws" that you will see in the photos from post #116 page 5 which shows my suggestion for removeable wing attachment. This way, you will be able to take your Predator in the VW wih no problem! Let me know if this helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
RacerX8518

I am currently reading through everything before I start building and noticed the grams confusion.

28g = 1oz as 16oz = 1lb.

The 31g = 1oz in other circles. Gold/precious metals is the only area I'm area of from experience but I haven't researched for any others. So if you have an ounce of gold you actually have 31g. but an ounce of airplane is 28g.

Why that is, I have no idea.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
chrishornby

I took a film with my flycam version 2 yesterday. Not from the predator but it gives an idea of what the camera is like.
The actual resolution is much better on the original before being degraded by youtube, in fact it looks good on fullscreen video. It is a film of our local lighthouse and can be seen at: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9AYepNX9o

All the best
Chris
Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
papajeff

I am currently reading through everything before I start building and noticed the grams confusion.

28g = 1oz as 16oz = 1lb.

The 31g = 1oz in other circles. Gold/precious metals is the only area I'm area of from experience but I haven't researched for any others. So if you have an ounce of gold you actually have 31g. but an ounce of airplane is 28g.

Why that is, I have no idea.

Now you got me to thinking..........and that could be dangerous!!!!! I have always used 28.35g = 1oz and I always thought it made no difference
if one was weighing feathers or lead. I'm going to do a little more checking and let you know.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: chrishornby

I took a film with my flycam version 2 yesterday. Not from the predator but it gives an idea of what the camera is like.
The actual resolution is much better on the original before being degraded by youtube, in fact it looks good on fullscreen video. It is a film of our local lighthouse and can be seen at: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9AYepNX9o

All the best
Chris
I am convinced, I have to get a Flycam version 2! Nice video, Chris ,and you are right about the resolution being much better! Hey, did you do any testing with the pan feature of the Flycam?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
CloudNineAviation

Fab stuff of the lighthouse Chris.....super....if that had have been me i would have probabally hit the bloody thing.....First rule of Aviation..."Dont run into anything solid "..

Great stuff..

Brg

Peter & Dave.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM
chrishornby

Atually my depth perception is cr*p. In the middle of that vid you will see the plane filming tight consecutive circles. I actually thought the plane was CIRCLING the light house, but as it turned out it was about 100yards beyond! I havnt done any testing with the pan feature, needs an extra servo but I have plans for putting it into the dome of the Pred and making it Gyro stabilised. I also need the german makers to come out with documentation on the external connections.
Chris
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 AM
ryanronning

ORIGINAL: papajeff

Ryan,

Now that you have the new Tx, you are really going to enjoy flying the Predator. Just remember.........try to fly it "scale-like".........ROG is best when you just let it lift off on it's own when the speed is right......then add a little up elevator.........nice and easy flying with wide aileron turns
with a little rudder added in. Watch the video from post #187 page 8 and you will see what I mean.

Now the Depot "Green drawers" are in the Hardware section by all of the screws and bolts. Ask one of the orange apron guys for the "Nylon Thumb Screws" that you will see in the photos from post #116 page 5 which shows my suggestion for removeable wing attachment. This way, you will be able to take your Predator in the VW wih no problem! Let me know if this helps.
Thank you for the tips, and by the way great video. I will take her easy... hopefully this weekend! That is if wind permits.

I ended up going to home depot and found the green hardware and then spotted something I thought I would try. Drywall anchors that you can collapse by screwing them. Basically sandwiches the wall of the wing to make a solid base for connection. I was going to use nylon, but they were a bit hard to turn in a tight space so I just used some small bolts. Works like a champ. And it's quick! Once again thanks for all the help.

Name:	Nl29335.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	825247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85134.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	825248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45055.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	825249  
Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
papajeff

Ryan,

Nice work and great idea for using those dry wall anchors! Have a good weekend and let us know how the flights go.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 AM
RacerX8518

You using the drywall anchors in place of drilling/threading a hole a clean hole for the nylon screws?

I may have to do that instead
Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
papajeff

You using the drywall anchors in place of drilling/threading a hole a clean hole for the nylon screws?

I may have to do that instead

I already got some at the DEPOT and for sure, I'll be using them. Ryan gets the award for this idea.....and it's a good one!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 PM
brownlab

my b-day in 4 days (the 18th)
Old 12-15-2007, 11:50 AM
RacerX8518

actually I was asking if that was the idea.
I had a hard time picking it out from the pictures.

so instructions would be:
1. put a whole slightly smaller then the anchors
2. pop an achor in place
3. using a screw/bolt in anchor to hold wing in place

vs
instructions for your original nylon screw:
1. drill hole
2. use wood screw to make threads in hole
3. CA hole to get threads to harden
4. using nylon screw to hold wings on.

???
Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all. I have been reading this thread for some time now. I have my Predator just about ready to go. I found it about a month ago at a swap meet and bought it for 50.00 bucks unbuilt. I have made all the mods and a nice nose wheel steering mod. I am running a 28-36 motor from Heads Up RC on the auction sight. Good cheap stuff. A 32 amp controller with 4 HS55 servos and a HS45 on the steering. Pics will been on here shortly.
Here is a question for you guys. Do we need to run a seprate BEC for this many micro servos?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.