Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New Shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 PM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shop

Hello!

I'm 15, and my christmas present was a shed at the bottom of the garden. Since then, I have been fitting it out into a shop, where I can make rc boats, cars and some planes, and also do all of my electronics work. I have currently got a drill press, a scrollsaw and a sander, and I am going to get a bandsaw as soon as budget allows. The shop is 3.6m square, and has heating and lighting. My workbench has a 600W PSU strapped to the back of it, with lots of 4mm connections in it. An LM317 (variable voltage regulator) gives a variable output, also.

Please feel free to comment on the pictures!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67465.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	697509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83148.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	697510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38433.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	697511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86390.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	697512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95232.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	697513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94048.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	697514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce68904.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	697515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc98030.jpg
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	697516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji77952.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	697517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug43573.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	697518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv88692.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	697519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oy98900.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	697520  
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 AM
cowana

Default RE: New Shop

Pictures uploaded
Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict you will be quite the handy man by the time you're on in your years. Next thing you'll need is a mill and a metal lathe. AND a bigger shop. Have fun and be safe.
Edwin
Old 06-05-2007, 07:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's too clean!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Fantastic! What a great spot for you - enjoy!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Edwin

Was just thinking, of all the powered sanders I have, the 1"verticle belt sander gets the most use.
Edwin
Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
cowana

Sorry about the cleanliness - I have just cleaned it. The belt on the sander can be tilted to make it verticle, but I almost always use it horizontally. The sanding belt is probably the tool I use most.

a mill and a metal lathe
I like making bits and pieces, but what can you make on a lathe and mill? What sort of items can you make? All that I know is that on a wood lathe you can make torpedo shaped things and mallets, and on a mill you can cut 'stuff' with presicion.

In the future, I hope to get:
A bandsaw,
A lathe (wood or metal, I'm not sure)
A mill - added to the list today.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Edwin

How about retracts, struts, end fittings for high wing plane struts, engine modifications and conversions (gassers). As for those "other" hobbies, aluminum car frames, suspension aframes, motor mounts, bushings, oh man - my minds a blur just thinking about all the gizmo's. You'll suddenly have a bunch of friends too. <g> I get most of my aluminum from the salvage yard. About twice a year they'll let me go dumpster diving in their scrap heap and buy it at the current scrap aluminum rate. You'd be amazed at what you find in there.
Edwin
Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
cowana

That stuff is more with a mill than a lathe, isn't it?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Edwin

I use the lathe mostly on landing gear struts and will be using them on my J-3 and L-4 wing struts. I've used the lathe to make prop extensions, turn down cooling fins on weed eater motor fly wheels and make a intake manifold extension for my saito 1.80. Couldnt get the fuel tank low enough so I raised the carb. Worked like a champ. Something I havent done yet, use a wood lathe to do spun aluminum spinners. The metal lathe would be used to make the spinner back plate.
Edwin
Old 06-06-2007, 06:14 AM
NCBrit

Nice shop. I have some advice for you that I hope isn't repeating what everyone else you know is telling you. It seems to me that you are very interested in electronics and engineering and will probably be interested in a career in a technical field. Having been through the educational establishments in the UK myself, I suggest that you start looking now at the degree courses that are available at universities around the UK. If you can decide now on a route you want to take in the next few years you will be able to target your education accordingly. Do the A levels that count and get into the university of YOUR choice, not theirs.

There used to be a book that you could get that listed all of the degree courses available. See if you can get a copy, or just take a look at one that a current A level student has. Your school library will probably have a copy or it may be online these days.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM
cowana

What did you do?

I am thinking of taking electronics, maths, further maths, physiscs and mayby chemistry for A level. I was then thinking of somewhere like Imperial College.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 AM
NCBrit

Good plan.

I took A level physics and chemistry, and AS level maths and computer studies. Then went on to Uni of Hertfordshire. First I took an HND in Manufacturing Systems Engineering, then went on to take a BEng in Computer Aided Engineering. The biggest thing that made a difference for me was taking the optional one year work placement during the degree. I am now the Director of Technology for a firm that monitors alarm systems across the US.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 PM
cowana

Hi!

I don't really think I need a lathe, and there are no specific tasks that I want a milling machine for. However, there are a small few things it would be good for. I would not want to buy an actual milling machine as they are too expensive - I do however have a pillar drill which I could put a milling piece in.

To hold the workpiece, there is a vice I can buy - [link=http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=206618&name=cross+vice&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0]here[/link], but it does not sem tremendously precise. If I didn't get this, I wouldn't get any milling bits, as my budget is low - especially for things that I have no desparate need for. I guess I could get a proper milling base someother time, but the high(ish) cost of these means it is unlikley.

So, what do you think of the look of that vice thing?

I'm buying my bandsaw soon...

ORIGINAL: Edwin

How about retracts, struts, end fittings for high wing plane struts, engine modifications and conversions (gassers). As for those "other" hobbies, aluminum car frames, suspension aframes, motor mounts, bushings, oh man - my minds a blur just thinking about all the gizmo's. You'll suddenly have a bunch of friends too. <g> I get most of my aluminum from the salvage yard. About twice a year they'll let me go dumpster diving in their scrap heap and buy it at the current scrap aluminum rate. You'd be amazed at what you find in there.
Edwin
Old 06-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Edwin

I imagine you can do a little with that. Like you said, it wouldnt be that precise. I wanted a lathe and mill for close to 15 years. Now that I'm 53 I finally have the tools. When I was younger, there wasnt any way I would have purchased equipment like that. Wait until you have a need. Gather your expensive special purpose tools when you can justify it. After paying a machine shop a couple of times the brain starts finding ways to justify it. Another thing to consider, when you're young you tend to move more than when you are older. Moving a shop can be a real pain. It took me years to equip the shop I have now. Its in a 3 car garage (28'x36'). I dont even want to think about moving. I had to buy a 16'x20' barn to store my motorcycle, power hand tools and other stuff. It also is the shop for fixing and servicing chain saws and weedeaters. I've been preparing for retirement for the last 7 years and now my shop is pretty much dedicated to RC.
Edwin
Old 06-30-2007, 03:43 AM
cowana

OK, thanks. That is really helpful and interesting. I'll hold out getting it until I can think of a good use for it., and then mayby that good use will justify getting a better one.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM
chashint

Great shop, you must be a very good kid for your parents to invest in something like that just for you. I tip my hat to you.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 PM
cowana

I think it more that my 'stuff' was cluttering up the house too much...