Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

30% 180" Skyraider nearing completion.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

30% 180" Skyraider nearing completion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Fighteraces UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30% 180" Skyraider nearing completion.

After almost 18 months work, my 30% Skyraider project is nearing completion. Comissioned by Ali Machinchy of 'Als Hobbies' in the UK, the model is based 'roughly' on an 80% enlargement of the Nick Ziroli plan......but with MAJOR structural modification to cater for the large increase in size and loads. (The only information taken off the plan has been the basic outline, plus some of the rib and former profiles....the rest of the structure is a complete redesign)

Span is 180", power comes from the Moki (RCS) 400cc 5 cylinder radial on a 40 x 25 carbon prop. Retracts have been custom manufactured for the project by Darrell Tenny at Sierra Giant Scale. The model is of all traditional construction, with no foam or composites being used (except the glass cloth/epoxy finish, and a handful of small glass mouldings) She breaks down into 7 separate parts for transportation, and at present (before CG checks) has an AUW around 170lb, giving a wing loading of 3.5lb sq ft.

The model uses 18 servos in total, 4 x JR 8511's on the elevators & another 4 on the ailerons, 6 x Futaba S148's on the 3 retract valves, throttle, choke and centre pylon release valve, plus 4 x Tonegawa Seiko SP-050 industrial robot/UAV servos on the rudder, steerable tail wheel and the flaps. These servos are driven off their own separate power supply (7.2v, 5000Mah), but take their 'signal' from a stock JR PCM Rx driven via a Powerbox and a pair of 6v 1800mah packs. The remaining servos are driven through a Weatronic 'Dual Receiver' system, with a 7.2v, 5000Mah primary power supply, and a 6v, 3800Mah secondary back up pack.

At the present time, the fuseage is 99.9% complete and all systems are functional from the Tx. This week will see the wings mated to the fuseage and set up in preparation for initial engine runs, range checks and taxi trials to take place next weekend. Once this is complete, and the model is 'signed off' by my LMA/CAA Over 20kg Inspector, the 'Exemption to test fly' certificate can be applied for. Once this is in place, we can legally go ahead and carry out the required number of test flights, witnessed by my inspector, before the model can be 'signed off' and issue with it's full 'Exemption Certificate' to allow it to display at the UK model shows.

Work is currently centred on completing the 12 HVAR rockets for the outer wing panels (non droppable), the 2 x 1000lb free fall bombs for the centre section outer pylons (dropable), and the HUGE (5ft long) centre drop tank (dropable)

I'll update over the next few weeks with how things progress.

For further info, a full 'Build Thread' has been running on the UK's RCMF Forum right from the start of the project.....a link is below (no need to register to view it) It's now running to 73 pages, so it's a Looonnnggggg read !!

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,24106.0.html

A 'short' version can also be found on my company website...............

http://www.usaafhq.freeserve.co.uk/f...skyraider1.htm

And for those looking for more information relating to the UK's rules and regs regaring 'Over 20kg' model, follow this link.

http://www.largemodelassociation.com/over20kg.htm

Cheers

Phil

Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 PM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: 30% 180" Skyraider nearing completion.

OH, My GOd! It dawrfs my 1/4 True Scale Curtiss Goshawk (F11C-2 / BFC-2) currently in the finished design stages! GREAT Work! Hope mine turns out half as nice as what you have done! It is a true GIANT scale model, did you have to apply for a pilots liscence! LOL
Charlie
Old 06-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've followed your RCMF thread for quite some time.
Your truly one of the highest calibers of scratch builders I have ever read of.
Simply amazing detail!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Holy crap!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Oosiksmith

Holy crap!
Ditto!!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Pilots12

Where are you going to fly this!?? I did some calculations and came up with a wing area of 4233sq. in, and that says your stall speed is going to be something like 47mph? Thats going to be one tough RC to land. Your going to need a real runway for that bird.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Mike Emilio

I'll bet France IMA Giants Ferte, Class-3. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
One of the mandatory requirements is running two receivers, and this plane is fitted with the Weatronics dual receiver.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Fighteraces UK

ORIGINAL: Pilots12

Where are you going to fly this!?? I did some calculations and came up with a wing area of 4233sq. in, and that says your stall speed is going to be something like 47mph? Thats going to be one tough RC to land. Your going to need a real runway for that bird.
The wing areas is actually over 1000 sq inches more........5,265 if my memory serves me correct.

Where will it be flown?.................being that this model has been built for 1 purpose, and 1 purpose only......DISPLAY....it's unlikely it'll ever be flown from a regular club site (even though the owners club site is a recently decommissioned RAF station). The owner of the model is a well know and very experienced display pilot on the jet & large model scene here in the UK (You may have heard of him in the US....Ali Machinchy....he won 'Best Jet' at the 2007 Florida Jets & Top Gun back in April.....so he's no slouch on the sticks),

................So, the Raider will be displaying at many of the 'Large Model Association' shows......MOST of which take place on full-size airfields. RAF Cosford (Current RAF Basic training base), Rufforth (ex WW2 bomber base) Duxford (ex WW2 fighter base, and current home of the Imperial War Museum & The Fighter Collection) We also have several other shows around the UK on equally 'large' sites. We are fully aware of the amount of sky (and runway) this is likely to take up. There are already many models of this size/weight flying in the UK, and I don’t know of a single one that has issues regarding take off/landing distances, as long as they are treated with respect.

GIANT models are becoming more common over here compared to the US.....work has been ongoing between the LMA and our CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) over the last 10 yrs or so to develop a 'programme' to govern such models. The Skyraider has obviously been through this programme....for more details, follow this link.

http://www.largemodelassociation.com/over20kg.htm

Hope this answers your questions..................

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13610.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	713533  
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[X(]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Someone lent me a video tape of giant planes being flown in France, I think. Some weighed in at over 300 lbs. Incredible sight to see in person, I imagine. That Skyraider is
i n c r e d i b l e !! Fighteraces keep referring to it as "display" model. Over here that means "non-flying."
Old 07-04-2007, 05:01 AM
dabvid

[X(] that thing is huge. ive seen smaller planes at the airport. still trying to get over the fact that the prop is bigger than me tv and the WS is bigger than my bedroom. geez whats your name bill gates, that thing must have cost a ton. all that aside i just wanted to say congratulations on building one of the first planes that really made my jaw drop. Keep up the good work.
regards,
dave
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Nitro2Burn

The Skyraider has been my fav plane since the very early 90's when I started modelling as a teenager. I have almost finished my 62" and am at the same time gathering stock so once complete I can start my ziroli 100".

It's seeing models like these that make my planes worth while, I know that for now I can't hope to have that kind of detail, however one thing I am trying to figure out how to engineer is to have functioning folding wings on my 100". Maybe one day I too will be able to venture into a project like the one you have here

It's good to see I'm not theonly one who dreams of big Sandy's
Old 07-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That model is magnificent! Three cheers to you for building her!!!

I wish you great success in flying her and look forward immensely to video and audio of that huge radial engine. [8D]
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM
mitchamus

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
turbine50

That had to cost serious $$. I wonder how much a full scale Skyraider is going for these days?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 PM
MOK-

This ones going for $925,000

http://www.winsportsnetwork.com/PAGES/DouglasAD1.html
Old 07-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Fighteraces UK

Thanks for the interest guys..................your kind comments are much appreciated.

'FlyingGreg'...........by 'Display'....we're talking at 'Display FLYING' at the many UK and European model airshows (I know for a fact Ali as already been invited over to a couple of US Warbird meets with it)....we sure haven't put 18 months and a VERY serious amount of $$$ into the project to see her sitting on the ground for the rest of her days.

As for 'video'.....here you go. This was shot during the ground testing we have to carry out as part of the inspection scheme here in the UK. It showed up a few small issues (which have now been sorted).....and the model has now been fully signed off, CAA paperwork is in place, so were pretty much really to roll.................

Turn speakers UP....enjoy the noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z6Ibm4BeSw

Cheers

phil
Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the video. Can't wait for the next chapter. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Fighteraces UK

Just a quick update to let you all know the Raider has now flown, and flown VERY successfully a few weeks ago........................

Full report can be found here............

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=24106.1740

Happy to say the model required 'NO' trim change on any surface during the test flight, and with the CG brought forwards to a save 28% MAC, she sat nicely and was responsive without being twitchy. Performance was very scale....not a fast model by any means, but with the 400 on song, she went great. Unfortunately the 2nd flight saw the engine go well off song so was cut short after about 3 minutes, and during some ground runs prior to a 3rd flight, we had a total engine seizure and a cracked cylinder. At present, we are unsure if this was caused by anything we have done (fuel/oil mix, cooling etc....) or there was a manufacturing fault from new. The engine is currently off the model and on it's way back to Moki for evaluation. We have considered re-engining with a simpler 'flat 4' 2-stroke engine, but after much though, have decided to carry on for a while longer with the 400, after making some modifications to the engine mount box etx to allow better air flow out of the cowl.

More news soon (I hope)

Phil
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Mr67Stang

An absolutely increadable model. I wish I could be there to watch and hear it fly. One of the finest I have ever seen.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Whistling Death

So Impressive!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
ByLoudDesign

I must say that she is hard to tell form the real thing as I have seen. But then that is what true scale is all about isn't it! GREAT JOB!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Fighteraces UK

Just a quick update on progress with the Skyraider since we had the engine issues after the 1st 2 successful test flights back in August last year.

The engine was removed and shipped back to Moki for repair/rebuild (unfortunately, no explanation of the failure was given)....................this was away the thick end of 3 months, in which time, some major modification work was carried out to the engine mounting box to try and improove cooling airflow out of the back of the engine....plus the fitting of an electric fuel pump to replace the standard 'carb pressure' feed for the Walbro carb. Once everything was back together, it was mid December, and we were then able to get in 2 more '100%' successful test flights with no re-occurance of the old engine problems. For around 30 mins ground running, and two 10/12 min flights where Ali didn't hold back on full power flight, the engine never missed a beat, and was developing significantly more power than the 1st engine...............we therefore suspect the original may have had problems right from day one as it never performed anywhere near like the current motor now is.

We still have a further 10 prooving flights to go to comply with the UK's 'Over 80kg' rules before we are fully signed off for display infront of the public as airshows, but after the last 2 trouble free flights, were now a lot more confident in the models continued reliable performance.

A YouTube video is now loaded with footage taken from these 2 flights..........

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ITRNEOdgHY8

Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Fighteraces UK

Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Fighteraces UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.