Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec Brake issue and solution

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec Brake issue and solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 AM
nitroheli
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec Brake issue and solution

Good day all, If your reading this post then i know what you are going through and looking for a solution to the never ending problem of no brakes on your Nitro 4-Tec.

Its been a while now that i have been searching for a solution and testing many ways in order to get that powerhouse of a car to stop. All that power and yet no brakes, This is one major weak point of the Nitro 4-Tec,

It doesn't help much when all of the 4-Tec OEM Carbon fibre items are discontinued and the vented disc back-ordered for God knows how long !
First off I suggested to Traxxas that they remove the Carbon items from the 4-Tec accessories section on the website since they will no longer produce it, This was suggested a while ago and just goes to show they are up to speed on things since its still there. I'm just venting about it since this was a main reason why i have bought the 4-Tec 3.3 since i wanted to add all of the bling bling to it, now I'm stuck with a mostly stock unit !! Bummer

Anyways back to the brake issue. I have finally found a perfect combo to braking power, so no need to scratch your head or smack it on the wall anymore trying to figure out how to get this darn car to stop,

Very little mods are required but man you will be so pleased with the results. You will require a few items such as thin CA glue, a sanding block or a dremel ( my favourite tool ) with the large sand rotor.

As for items that will require purchasing, You will need to contact your local Hobbyshop or order on line with one that carries both items

Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 Clutch liner Part number from Thunder Tiger is TTTPV0368 ( you will get two strips of liner )

Then Ofna Hyper 10 Vented metal disc brake OFN19053

You will need to keep the centre hub from the old brake kit. You will have to shrink the hub itself so that your new metal disc will fit over it, Take your time sanding it and shaping it or you will end up having to buy a new Traxxas brake hub and disc kit TRX4884 in case you messed up LOL

Once you have completed this you want to make sure that there is limited play between the new metal disc and the hub but enough play that it will float with ease.

You will take your stock metal pads and sand them down just enough to scuff the surface ( this will allow the CA to stick properly ) You will also cut your strip of clutch liner again just enough to cover the disc area when resting with the pad. What you are trying to do is create a disc and pad system just like your every day travelling car parked on your drive way..

Once you are satisfied with the cut and length of that clutch liner you will then sand one side of it too, You then can add CA glue to the metal pads, Making sure that you glue the proper sides ( if you screw up the you will need to get a new pad set TRX4883 ). So take your time..

Once the glue is on you can then carefully place the liner on each pad, No worries about the liner over lapping the pad cause that will be trimmed off.
Once your liner and pad are properly glued together, you can then take your Dremel with the large round sander rotor and remove any access liner that you will find on the inner portion of your pad. Once completed you should have two pads with a 3mm wide strip of liner from bolt hole to bolt hole. What i like to do then is just round the edges where the disc and pads start there contact. Don't like the 90 degree angle on that pad since this could cause the liner to rip off so why take any chances, we are trying to make great brakes..

Now all that tis left is to install everything back on your car and give it a test try. Oh Yeah Baby it brakes and brakes great... If you have a PC transmitter then use some EXPO and this is where you can get some great corner braking without locking up on all 4.

Hope this helps one of the issues about the 4-Tec

Cheers
Rob
Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 AM
xDennis
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec Brake issue and solution

Great post , I will try that.

I did a free mod which works great. I cut that plastic tubing (its about an inch stock and allows way to much play) on the break line to about 3MM, tightened the brakes down to where they nearly are engaged when you finger is off the trigger, and gip tight when you apply the brakes.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
nitroheli
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec Brake issue and solution

That is one way however its only a short term fix and then you end up back to square one again..

I will take some snap shots this evening and post them so that you can see. Its a great system and its stays coold, This is where the winning factor comes into play..

Thanks
Rob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79221.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	716156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19884.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	716157