Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Swamp3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

Wrong area to post and you may upset some people if you double post like you did. This is the monsoon thread as in nitro not electric. Just a warning before some mod starts deleting your posts. Edit if you post in the topics that are up already and pertain to what your asking you'll get a better response. I know nothing about electric so find the right topic and ask there and only ask in one topic.Just trying to help ya out
Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
mcraig8377

i cant get my monsoon to run when i prime it it will run wide open and then just dies i noticed that it is not getting any fuel in any of the fuel lines truggy is brand new would appreciate some help on this subject!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: ugly duck

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Here is a upgrade for the differentials in the monsoon. Some people have problems with them stripping out the ring gear. I installed CEN Matrix ring and pinion gears part #MX040 and MX037. The truck rolls smooth as glass now just like my ST-RR and Hyper and does not have the grinding noise and notchiness of the stock gears when you roll the truck. A friend did this to a Hurricane buggy and it ran 10 times better with this upgrade so I figured I would try it since I just stripped my ring gear.
Hey, Chris - did you ever try these diffs at the track? I looked at the pictures and counted the teeth, and it looks to me that the stock final drive is a 3.67:1 ratio (12 tooth pinion, 44 tooth ring) and the Cen gears give a 2.88:1 ratio (9 tooth pinion, 26 tooth ring). This is about a 27% increase in wheel speed, similar to strapping on a 13 tooth clutch bell. Combining this upgrade with a 12 tooth clutch bell should give a 52% increase in wheel speed, and if given a long enough run should really make for a good top end! I imagine this is not what you want at the track, but it might make for a fun basher / street racer.

Damn, you guys have totally got me convinced the Monsoon is the better buy over the Avalanche. Do a couple simple mods and this truck should be hard to touch.

Edit - and did you ever sell your truck? [8D]
You are right about the gearing. The truck was not as good on the track unless I went back down to the 10 tooth. But with the 12 tooth the monsoon had CRAZY top end. On some of the long straights on some tracks I went to I was not even close to topping out. The thing would probably give a Jato a run for its money! Yes I sold it. Actually Schlage62 who posted about selling his monsoon is my old monsoon so if anyone wants one, that is a great one with a ton of mods done to it.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: mcraig8377

i cant get my monsoon to run when i prime it it will run wide open and then just dies i noticed that it is not getting any fuel in any of the fuel lines truggy is brand new would appreciate some help on this subject!
Check the gap on your carb should be around 1mm/check the trim on your radio too. If that doesn't work then I'd check the lsn and hsn be sure they are set to factory(and adjust accordingly after that). One other important thing is check for air leaks fuel lines, gaskets loose engine bolts and so on. I had similar probs with my monsoon and it had like 20 tanks though it and the problem was a nasty air leak but check the carb gap first. And is your fuel fairly new I also had a problem with some fuel once that got hot in the sun and sortta did the same thing.You can also do the pressure test by blowing into the fuel line to see if fuel is making it into the carb. Tke the line off of the carb then blow into the fuel line off of the tuned pipe if you don't see fuel then we an go from there.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
mcraig8377

i tried to put air through the lines like you said carb is not getting any fuel no fuel going into lines tank lid just pops up what do you think it could be? and thanks for the help im an electric man myself this is our first nitro.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Swamp3r

Then I'd say you have a blockage at the fitting that goes to the carb you may have to take that fitting off and take a closer look. Lots of guys willing to help so just keep tryin man and welcome to the nitro family you'll love the monsoon I know I love mine.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
mcraig8377

thanks for the help i found the problem was the fuel tank do you know about how far out i should run the lowspeed setting i have my high speed out to 2and 1half THANKS AGAIN!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Swamp3r

It's 3 1/2 turns out on the lsn and the hsn flush with the collar and then tune from there just do 1/4 turns at a time till you get that perfect sound and smoke. And glad you found the problem happy bashing man you'll love that truck.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

3 on both is a good starting point.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
mcraig8377

THANKS YOU HAVE HELPED US ALOT!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM
mcraig8377

can this truggy compete with a revo from traxass
Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
ridgerunner1

Yes it can I compete with revos jammins and losi's bottom line is driver, takes a lot of track time to get good not that I'm that good but still learning I have gone over my monsoon changed some screws that were to short out of the box like a lot of RTR's are anyway, did some ajustments here and there new servos, still pretty much still stock but this thing is holding up very well better then I thought it would and from time to time I win, I have driven my son-in-law's revo and I like the monsoon better handles good hell I even bet my son-in-law with my race tmaxx just gets down to how much time you want to put in at the track and prep on your rig.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM
mcraig8377

thanks again just got it tuned by the way does anybody know the top speed on the monsoon ive heard storys of 55+ is this true?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
amf66

Do you guys thing that the Monsoon would be better than the Hurricane as a basher? I'm trying to choose between the two and want to be able to bash it but be able to race locally if I want to. Would the Monsoon be a good first racer?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: amf66

Do you guys thing that the Monsoon would be better than the Hurricane as a basher? I'm trying to choose between the two and want to be able to bash it but be able to race locally if I want to. Would the Monsoon be a good first racer?
Monsoon would be a great first racer. All you need to do is put a set of LPR wheels and tires on it and change the diff fluids along with 12 tooth clutch bell and it will scream and turn sharp all you want to. I used to run mine with 8ight-t's, Matrix's, and Jammins and beat alot of them too. The truggy is fast and will take a beating. One thing I can say is that the plastic arms on the monsoon are some of the best I have seen. The monsoon is the ONLY,yes I said ONLY, truggy I have ever had that I NEVER broke an A-arm at all when I owned it and I drove mine hard. Just loctite the hell out of the bolts that screw into the front knuckles and steering top plate, set the dogbones to sit level and with what I mentioned above once you learn to drive it well you will surprise ALOT of people!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM
amf66

Will any 12 tooth clutch bell fit it? I've heard that it has a strange one and that not all will fit it. What clutch bell do you use?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I was you I would mod the clutch bell into a standard clutch bell....Chris (vnsmgt) can most likely tell you how...alotta folks are having problems with the elongated clutchbells the monsoons use..as far as the monsoon vs the hurricane in bashing, both will bash nicely...the monsoon will be a bit more forgiving in handleing but you do sacrifice some speed with the monsoon..just your preference between truggy or buggy
Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 AM
martrix

yep, best option is to fit a standard Clutch bell (same as Hurricane), those long nose clutch bells on the Monsoon are rubbish and I don't know why they came out with them.

To make the standard clutch bell work, there are a few things you need to do.

● New engine mounts to bring the engine forward so the clutch bell spur mates with the centre diff gear. You can get some adjustable engine mounts like the pic below, or make your own like I did.

● You need the clutch bell and flywheel from a Hurricane. Install these first so you can understand what you need to do to make it work.

Read through [link=http://www.plaig.com.au/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3243&st=0&sk=t&sd=a]this thread[/link] and you will know exactly what to do. Many have done it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
amf66

You can get some adjustable engine mounts like the pic below,
Where can you get the adjustable engine mounts for the Monsoon?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM
vnmsgt

OFNA makes them them. They are slotted from one end to the other. You also have to dremel out the hole for the flywheel to make it not hit the chassis because you are moving your motor so far forward. The mod is worth it to do. This way you can get a clutch bell alot easier if yours messes up.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:18 AM
amf66

What is the part number for them? Does Redcat make a clutch bell with more teeth?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
madmarty

these wil work. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OFNA-ULTRA-M...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM
amf66

I've heard that Redcat makes an upgraded 12 tooth clutch bell like the one here: [link]http://www.rc-tradingpost.com/8300812t.html[/link] Would this one fit without any mods??
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
madmarty

fits perfect. its a great upgrade.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 PM
mcraig8377

we have a monsoon truggy that we recently purchased and the steering keeps going out meaning after running it for while the steering pulls itself to the left and the steering will turn great to the left but when we try to turn it to right it just goes straight. is this the servo? and if so which servo should i get to replace it? if its not the servo then what could it be? WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD GIVE US!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.