Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

XPS in Hitec transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default XPS in Hitec transmitters

I often recommend Hitec transmitters to new club members but I am also now steering all the new members to 2.4 GHz. What is Hitec's position on using XPS modules in Hitec transmitters?

Has Hitec been involved in the testing?

Will putting one of these in a Hitec transmitter void the warranty?

What can you tell us?

I would like to continue recommending Hitec. The Optic 6 has been very popular with our members, but in order to take new flyers to 2.4 GHz, I have to send them to Spektrum, JR or Futaba.

Can I recommend Hitec with an XPS module and feel confident?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XPS in Hitec transmitters

I'd say it's the best option for now. You could also use the Spektrum module/RX for Futaba as it will work as well. In theory you should also be able to use the Futaba module/rx too but I don't know for sure since I haven't tested it. I know the Futaba car version works with our SRX/CRX.

I have talked to both Dave at XPS who said they did all the testing with an Optic, and Paul from Spektrum who was unsure why they only listed Futaba compatibility as the module fits and works with no problems.

No, the Hitec warranty would not be affected.

Mike.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Mike.

I think it would be in Hitec's best interest if an offical statement were made that embraces these, at least for the moment. Clearly Hitec will do something. Personally I think it would be best for Hitec to adopt one of the other standards and not introduce yet another into the market, but that is my view.

I think Futaba has the potential of becoming the PCM of 2.4 GHz. Maybe better, maybe not, but it only works with one brand. The others will be the PPM of 2.4 GHz. Maybe better, maybe not but works across a wide range of brands so it is more readily adopted. I have a Futaba radio but I won't lock myself into Futaba's system because it would not let me us my Hitec radio on those planes.

A "hitec" standard? Not a good idea in my opinion, but my my opinion does not count for much.

Thanks for the answer to my question. It helps a lot.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
MikeMayberry

I agree... I'll come up with a statement to put on our website.

Thanks for the input and support... it is appreciated!

Mike.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 PM
ghtracey

So if I am reading this correctly, the DSM2 Air Module for Futaba that Spektrum makes will work with my Eclipse radio? Spektrum tech support said no, but then they also said the module case design was unique and it wouldn't fit into a Hitec radio. :P

I want a spread spectrum solution for my radio, and I prefer the multipath dual Rx's that Spektrum uses (not to mention the end-plug design).

If you tell me it works, I'll buy one. Thanks Mike.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Charley

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

I agree... I'll come up with a statement to put on our website.

Thanks for the input and support... it is appreciated!

Mike.
I think you should make potential SS module users aware that the XPS module that fits the Futaba 9Z and the Optic and Eclipse Xmitters installs upside down in the Hitec Xmitters. It's a matter of where the electrical connector is on the Xmitter. On Hitec, it's on the bottom. Presumably, on Futaba it's on the top. This puts the antenna in the middle of the Hitec Xmitter case. Jim Drew told me that XPS has no plans to produce a different module case just for Hitec users. A Futaba module would have the antenna pointing down if installed in a Hitec Xmitter.

Are you sure you want to advocate using these modules in your Xmitters?

Regards,

CR

Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 AM
ghtracey

I wonder if that same problem would make the Spektrum module's antenna cable too short. Anyone have any experience with this? Since Hitec is seeming to be pretty mute on the Corona, I may have to start thinking about a 2.4GHz alternative.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
MikeMayberry

The XPS antenna can be positioned vertically.

I would suggest you get another antenna to attach to the Spectrum module like that on the XPS.

Mike.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XPS is selling the "original" anytenna'd modules as Hitec modules. The antenna on those comes out at 90 deg and can be positioned properly. Their "new and improved" Futaba module is not good for Hitec but as I say the previous version is still selling for Hitec and 9Z TX's.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Jacksmobile
My Feedback: (11)

I have had my Eclipse 7 outfitted with Xps now for 4 months and and fly my electrics at soccer fields where I would never dream of flying with 72 mghz old system I hold my radio straight in front of me or just slighly tilted back, I can safely report that I have noticed better response with this set up and now have my second Hitec Eclipse set up with XPS also been flying for 7 years and love the flexability of the 2.4 ghz now I just fly my larger stuff at the clubs fields I belong to
Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: Jacksmobile

I have had my Eclipse 7 outfitted with Xps now for 4 months and and fly my electrics at soccer fields where I would never dream of flying with 72 mghz old system I hold my radio straight in front of me or just slighly tilted back, I can safely report that I have noticed better response with this set up and now have my second Hitec Eclipse set up with XPS also been flying for 7 years and love the flexability of the 2.4 ghz now I just fly my larger stuff at the clubs fields I belong to
I would like to fly at places like soccer fields with no worries of interfering with others. I had a Futaba FASST system but didn't like the limited capabilities of the Tx, so sold it. I have a almost new Eclipse 7 Tx and hoped that Hitec would bring out a SS module/Rx for it. I'm seriously annoyed that they haven't. I don't want to use a XPS module that has the antenna in the middle of the Tx.

Well, Airtronics is bringing out the RDS8000 2.4 GHz FHSS system. I have one on BO from Hobby People. I flew Airtronics gear for years until I began using Hitec flight packs. I may go back to Airtronics exclusively since Hitec can't get off the dime.

CR