Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pilot model kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pilot model kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 08:28 PM
rfisher56
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot model kits?

Hey guys...was just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the great airplane model company "Pilot". I purchased a few of their kits in the early 80's. My favorite was their Lake Buccaneer amphib. Have been searching the web for that kit and haven't gotten anywhere. Any clues?? Thanks, Bob.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:42 PM
linclogs

I've built several Pilot kits. In my opinion, there were none better as far as design, quality and durability.

I've been hearing for several years that the company burned (don't know how long ago but I'd guess more than 10 years ago?). I can't figure out why no one picked up and continued the line being they were so popular. Maybe just too expensive these days to completely start over from scratch.

Pilot kits come up often on eBay. Do a search in eBay - try "Pilot model kits" or "Pilot model airplanes" or something like this. I know there's a PT-19 currently running, and another PT-19 ended on the 15th, and a "Monster QB" and a Lake Buccaneer ended yesterday (you just missed it!). I see a Lake quite often - at least once a month I'd guess. Be prepared to drop a lot of cash, though. Pilot kits are sought after by a lot of others, too.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:33 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pilot factory burned down. so the story goes. This is why the Pilot kits and EZ ARF's disappeared at the same time several years back. The factory was rebuilt a couple of years ago and both Pilot and EZ are available again. Altech is importing the DJ-1, DJ-2 (EZ) and DJ-3 kits at this time, but I have heard they are also importing a few of the other EZ models.

Check out Singapore Hobby for a pretty good selection or Japan Hobby Net for even more.

Both companies will ship to the U.S. and have been used by quite a few modelers, including myself, with very good luck.

John
Old 03-18-2003, 01:54 AM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have purchased two Pilot kits from Singapore Hobby (great people btw), the .25 Zero and .35 P51. good kits, great laser cutting but haven't flown either yet. according to the Singapore Hobby folks the original factory did burn down with all of the original tooling but the company is back with all new tooling. instructions are adequate in english with good construction photos.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:59 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

It seems like Hobby Barn stocks some of the new kits.

I went to the website to verify/check my memory, but I can't get in at the moment.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:59 AM
BeauMiller
My Feedback: (18)

Quantum Models has a few of the Pilot kits

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/

Beau

Here is a pic of their Seduction 25......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63826_14868.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	39131  
Old 03-18-2003, 06:19 AM
linclogs

I checked the websites mentioned but frankly, I don't see any of the old Pilot kits offered, with the exception of a "Super" QB25L and possibly one or two others. But not sure if they are the same as the old, original Pilot kits. I don't see the ones mentioned in my earlier post, especially the Lake Buccaneer or PT-19, and a whole lot of others. I still fly a QB 15H. They had a whole slew of QB's in different sizes - including "H" (for "high wing"), "S" (for "shoulder wing") and "L" (for "low wing") models, not to mention all the other QB (for "Quick Built") scale series in different sizes. I'd really like to see someone come out with the complete line from the past. I'd think they'd sell really well, judging by how the originals sell on venues like eBay and right here on RCU.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:36 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

The old kits and tooling were lost when the factory burnt down. The majority of modelers are always looking for something new. They may have a soft spot in their heart for a plane they had in the past, but few want to stick their money in one. This is why we are constantly seeing new offerings on the market. Sure, things look good in Ebay, but there are relatively few offerings made. I had a PT-19 not too long ago that I just about had to give away. At that time, there were three other PT-19's available and they just about swamped what little market there was. As for the Lake Buccaneer, I've heard reports that even though they were a sweet looking model, they had bad tip stall tendencies and most ended up in pieces in the water.

If you really want one of these kits, keep an eye open here and on other boards. I'm sure you'll find one eventually.

BTW, the new kits are even better than the old. Pilot has made progress just like everyone else. They are using better hardware, laser cutting (though their die cutting was better than anything from any U.S. company) and newer construction techniques. Give one of the new kits a try, I think you will be pleasently surprised.

John
Old 03-22-2003, 08:18 PM
PITTSMANIAC
My Feedback: (18)

Default The Old Pilot Scale Kit

The reasons why the older Pilot kits are great to find & treasured are that they made over 40 different scale wood built models in different sizes that some are not offered even today in the same quality of kit, design or size. These kits included Decathlons, Citabrias, Pitts, Christen Eagles I & 2 , Tiger Moths, Moth Minor, Jungman, Jungmeister, Nieuport 28, Piper Super Cubs, J-3 Cubs, Diablo, Champion Champ (larger dorsal fin than 7AC), Piper Tomahawk, Cessna 177 & 152, Stephens Akro, Lake Buccaneer, Spinks Acromaster & more. These kits were beautifully manufactured with the scale builder & enthusiast in mind. They were top of the line kits of the above aircraft & others. When built correctly, they will have a much greater fidelity to scale lines & details. They take a little more effort than the ARF's, but much better results & rewards. If they re-released their old scale designs or even modeled new & different aircraft in the way they did previously, then I would start spending money like crazy again & I know many others that would too. Sure it would be a little better if the newer kits are Laser-Cut & built lighter in some of the smaller aircraft, but they would have to keep the same quality to scale. It would have been great to see a Pilot wood built Christen Eagle I in the 1/3.7 size with a 64" w.s. to go with
the Eagle 2. A Pitts S-1S, S2-B or even S2-C in 1/3.5 scale to go along with the older S2-A . A larger sized Stephens Akro Sport, Jungmeister, Super Cub, Zlin, Cessna 150 & 177, Lake Buccaneer, P-51, Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane, Focke Wulf 190, Me-109 & Zero would have been great. There I go dreaming again. Sorry !
Old 03-23-2003, 01:04 AM
linclogs

Amen to that, PITTSMANIAC!

That's exactly what I was talking about when I said I'd like to see the "old" Pilot kits brought back.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hobby Shack, now known as Hobby People, was the direct importer for the old Pilot kits. You may be able to get more information from either Paul Bender (H/P owner) or John Greenshields about availability. Your probably going to have to work at it some, but you'll probably be able to get more info. Good luck.

Pat
Old 03-23-2003, 02:50 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

I used to build the display models for Hobby Shack in the 70's. I built almost all of the Pilot line and they were some of the best kits on the market back then. I really wish they would bring back their giant scale line. I had a Bucker Jungman and it was a great flying airplane. Had the way cool fenders on the gear and lots of detail. Also had the small Junmeister with a wankle and it was also a great flier. Hobby Shack lost their franchise on Pilot just before the fire. Altech is now the importer so they should be the contact. Don
Old 03-23-2003, 03:20 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I built and crashed so many of the QB series of planes. I had a QB .15 I put a Dynaflite Wonderer wing on to make it a QB .15 iwith 72 inch wing It flew very well.

I also flew the QB Twin Ace. I had (2) FP .35 engine on it. The QB 25L was a really nice flying plane. It was close to the Goldberg Jr Tiger in a smaller package.

I still have the Pitts S2A in .15 size. It is a handful on the ground but once in the air it flys the same as a bigger plane. These kits went togather really well, had good balsa. I did not like the plywood but it did work.

I would love them to bring the scale series back. I would spend more money then I should on them. I want one of there Mustangs.

Dru.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:28 PM
AR196

rfisher56,

if you cannot find the Pilot kit for the Lake and do not mind building, you can get a plan from Flying Models magazine for one that is just about the same size.

I've just checked my copy of the plan. Here're the specs:
span 58", 424 square inches,
flying weight 3-4 lbs.
power OS MAX 19R/C, with 8-6 pusher prop
Designer: David Ramsey

Plan No. CF-247.

Hope you get your Lake.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:28 AM
pauser98

I agreed the Pilot/ok model brand produced great kits.

So far I have build the Suprafly25, Zlin Acrobat, Sukhoi 10, Extra 10 , Medallion (electrified) and Sentosa glider. Still have the Wildstyle and Twin Ace to go.

Chris
Old 04-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Neil Guildford

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have recently built two of their kits and both have been a joy.(Seduction Freestyle-still building and Hyde-away)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67338_23628.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	39132  
Old 04-01-2003, 12:53 PM
jetranger-RCU

Default kits

Pilots were great kits I just finished framing up the 1/4 scale Decathalon. And have NIB the 25-35 size wood FW109, Spite Fire, and Hawker, Foster, kind of looks like a Sig Kadet, Must find time to build
Old 04-01-2003, 01:17 PM
pauser98

Jetranger,

Where did you buy the Pilot FW190 and Hawker (I assume it's the Hurricane)?

I wonder if there are still places selling the old Pilot kits.
Chris
Old 04-01-2003, 08:29 PM
jetranger-RCU

Default kits

Chris I had a hobby shop in the 80's sold out 89. I had 273 kits on the walls and the buyer did not want about 83-85 kits I had. Good thing because they were GBG 1/2A's r/c's. Hard to find Pilots, Bridi's GP's, gliders GBG larger kits, Airtronics 1/2A's and more. None are for sale as of yet because my kids are into building and flying they do not like ARF's. You are correct on the Hawker
Old 04-03-2003, 12:58 AM
f104g

loved the old Pilot kits ... I've had a couple in my time .. I really enjoyed the PA38 Tomahawk .. had it for years .. I only lost it a couple of months ago due to radio failure...

I've also had the Fw-190 ... someone else broke that for me on its first flight.... I have a friend who has the Pilot F-16 still, and the Lake Bucaneer still .. not airworthy though...

It would be nice if someone could at least replace the range of models Pilot offered ... they were an excellent range of scale models.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:58 AM
ferio
My Feedback: (8)

I'm also a Pilot kit lover. Have built a Supra Fly25, QB15H, PT-19. Bought the Supra Fly25 in '91 and is still flying. I have a NIB Supra Star 25 waiting as my new project.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:16 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default Pilot Kits

I really liked the older line also, the Cessna 177 was my first R/C airplane kit that I built, I would love to get that kit again because I never flew it due to joining the military and selling off my planes. I have the Piper Tomahawk kit almost done, have held on to this one for a while, hope to have it finished someday. A lot of kit manufactures today would have some stiff competition for quality compared to the Pilot kits of yesterday.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Hisham

Default love these kits

Love pilot kits
have the cessna 177 and tiger moth
both are excellent kits and flyers,
Regards
H
Old 04-07-2003, 09:21 PM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

I would love to have another Suprafly25 kit. I built one as my first balsa project, and I was totally hooked. I still have this plane, but would like to find another kit to try the latest in brushless electric motor.

I also had a SupraStar 25. What a sweet performer, until another plane ate it in midair.

Stephen
Old 04-07-2003, 09:43 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I have a SupraFly 25 kit at home. It's missing the canopy and cowl and several parts were used as masters to cut replacements for other models. Because of it's history, the plans are also a bit on the rough side. I might let it go pretty reasonable to someone who doesn't mind it being incomplete. If you like, I can do a full inventory on the kit later this evening.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.