Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Cularis Wing Connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 PM
T12Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cularis Wing Connection

I try to change Cularis wing connector to make more stable electrical connection.

See attach photo.

You can experience more stable operation when a little bit moving up and down your wing.

This 6-pin connector have more wide copper area and make more tight than standard servo connector
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48437.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	785158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90318.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	785159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46365.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	785160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28031.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	785161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74402.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	785162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy35546.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	785163  
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
charliey

Default RE: Cularis Wing Connection

Excellent idea! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]I just wish I had seen this BEFORE I built my cularis. [sm=48_48.gif]Multiplex ought to design one more ship with this connection idea and then go out of business.[>:]
What's the make / name of the connectors you use?

Cheers
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 PM
roknHS

I have the Cularis on order..........should arrive next week . Does this mean the designed servo connections from the wing to the fuselage are not worth using?
I was hoping that feature would be well designed. The recent review in Fly RC magazine brags about how well the plane is engineered..........
Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 AM
charliey

I can only tell you that the servo conns, wing to fuse, are causing me much grief. Other than this, the Cularis is a great build.
Note well the warning on the use of CA. Nothing else - and ONLY THICK - 25 secs minimum. Use it everywhere, not only on mating the fuse halves.
I think the Multiplex servo conn's per T12Z are the way to go. A very well known and experienced friend hereabouts strongly recommends these conn's and I'm going to use them - after I've cut out he Hitec conn's that I've already installed.

Good luck

Charliey
Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 PM
roknHS

Thanks for the reply.........I'll see if I can locate those connections....
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM
roknHS

Hey Charliey,
I got the Cularis a couple days ago and had a chance to really look it over this morning.
Wow, I am amazed at the thought that went into the design of this bird...........I know you aren't happy with the servo connections............but weren't you just a little impressed when you first looked through the pieces?? Everything I trial fit was perfect.

I still haven't decided on a power system yet, I'll probably get one coming before I start putting mine together...........if yours is powered, what did you use?

Have you flown yours, and if so are you happy with the performance and handling?

As I was looking at the wing joiner and the servo connection system, I could imagine that a few drops of thick CA wouldn't hold the servo plugs for long. What do you think about using JB WELD instead. If I hand picked my servo plugs and made sure they would slide together easily I think JB WELD might do it. I got a supplement with my directions telling me to plug the servo connections together during the glueing process....
just be carful not to glue them together......could be tricky with CA.......not so bad with JB WELD.

What are those funky looking little greenish/white flexible rods for? They are solid.

The control rod system they call "snakes" is not familiar to me..........is it a 3 part system? A steel wire inside a sheath, and those two inside another bigger sheath????

I'm sure you can shed some light on a few of these issues for me........Thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
roknHS

I think Cularis owners are wasting their time waiting for this thread to do something......
just not enough interest here..............

Across town, on the other side of the tracks, there is a Cularis thread with 50 pages and active every day.........Electric Planes----Foamies--------Cularis.

Its worth the trip............
Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Do355

just finished a CULARIS build. Only thing I found to be a mistake was the flap servo cutout had to be reversed on one wing as I could'nt find a reverse direction servo. Looking forward to flying this model, have powered it with a Hyperion 30-25-8 turning a 9x6 prop battery is a 3s 2500 also hyperion.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

err, what's the problem? Mine works fine.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM
charliey

Sad, but Iin the Graupner 6-pin connectors for the wing connections, per T12Z, and they work a treat. Also sank a pair of hardwood plugs atop the fuse, and screwed on a SoaringUSA Power Pod - the smaller variety. Added weight to the nose to compensate. Should climb like a banshee. I hope.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 PM
charliey

Addendum !! Don't know how that typo happened.
Was trying to say - Sad, but I haven't flown my Cularis yet. Grim weather this neck of woods.
I put the 6-pin Graupner connectors in for the wing connections, per T12Z (10/12/2007), and they work a treat. The whole wing connect system with the hard plastic fuse assembly, plus the wing locking system is one great design.
Have to say I found the assembly per the manual quite simple.
Anybody spraypainted theirs yet?

Cheers again
Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 AM
wowie

Please people put pictures with your build progress. Everyone loves pictures to watch how other people build their planes (Cularis in this thread) so if you can don't forget to upload your photos. I found those 6 pin wiring connectors at SoaringUSA.com and have been using them for years now on all my sailplanes as well as some of my gassers.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 AM
wowie

To Do335,
If you don't have a computer radio capeable of individual servo reveresing on all channels (even two servo flaps) you can still use two individual servos for ech flap by using a Y connector with a built in servo reverser. They can be found at most well supplied hobby shops or at Horizon Hobby.com. I got mine at Tower Hobby and I've also bought them from Horizon Hobby.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
mrray

Thanks Gwang, I was just at the point of gluing in the servo leads when I happened upon your thread about using the 6 pin connector. It sounds like a great idea to me. Have ordered some from Icare and should have them in a week or so. Thanks to all you guys for all the tips on building and improving the cularis. Ray Arnott
Old 03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
fireforthall

SO has anyone had problems with the conections that are from the factory? I just launched mine on a high start today for the first time. What a cool glider, puts my GL to shame
Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 AM
dumorian
My Feedback: (6)

I have I guess close to 100 flights on mine by now. I was just careful to make sure the standard plugs were fully plugged in during the build and have not had an issue. Also, there has been a lot of talk about the wing releases, but mine have been flawless as well. This has been one of my favorite models. It pretty much always goes to the field. It is so very easy to transport. Take down is literally just a snap... well, two snaps. It just doesn't get any easier.

There have been a couple of things that have amazed me about the Cularis. First, you can fly it in the wind. And I mean in stiff winds. I have no problems at all in 30 to 35mph winds even when landing with a cross wind. The model is also just extremely stable. It doesn't seem to do much of any wing dancing. I've pretty much decided it's easier to fly than my EGPro.

The Pro will stay up better than the Cularis on calm days and likes less wind, but if there is any breeze at all the Pro requires a lot more flying whereas the Cularis just eats it up, spits it out and moves on.

I'm always amazed also by how I rarely ever even touch a wing tip during a landing. Even when it completely stops, normally it's just nestled in the grass just sitting there level.

I put a pretty powerful motor in mine. Yeah, it will go vertical and goes up very fast. I did have a structural issue with the nose due to what I like to call gyrowobblation. Bacically, the gyro effect starts to cause a wobbling. The foam just behind the motor mount is a tad bit weak for a really powerful system. I wrapped this area with fiberglass tape using thin CA as the gel coat. It worked extremely well and as it's all white, it hardly shows.

I've had many days with this bird where I just got tired of flying it. I can only power up for about 3 minutes with my system, but I've had many flights of well over an hour. It seems that I'm about ready to do something different by then. On those days, it was then just a matter of forcing her down. I also have recorded over 2200 feet AGL with my How High. At that height, one has to concentrate on watching it. In fact, I had a Coast Guard plane fly by under me one day. They were about a half mile over but for sure way lower than my Cularis.

I have about a dozen planes in my hanger and the Cularis is one of my favorites and it is still growing on me.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 PM
tkilwein

I leave mine in one piece and have the wires go into the RX, bypassing the setup they have.
Did not care for it.

I have had my cularis up in 50mph winds more than a few times and the wings bow some but she takes it.
It is one I actually enjoy in the wind.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Serafintirado

Crash my Cularis a few time. Ripped nose off, broke all wing servo, lost rudder in flight. Dog lunch, But she a hard bird to kill. Watch my video on DOG CHASE CULARIS and CRASH CULARIS . What is under the hood, 900K motor, 40amp ESC, All medal gear servos ( replacement of the one I broke HS55 AND HS81), 10BEC, one Gyro for the roll, just to smooth thing out. All from Hobby City for under 100 USA dollars not including cularis, Battery 2100, 20C from hobby city 18$, OH and lots of white Duct tape. Those strip on the wing and tail are not paint, they are color duct tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRoD40fs1zw Warning this Video is not for the weak in heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYI-uZoLMNc After repair, I show how to replace wing servo and what not to do for wing connectors.