Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Progress on my M4A1E8 Sherman Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Progress on my M4A1E8 Sherman Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Progress on my M4A1E8 Sherman Build

Thought I'd show where I'm at and what I've done so far. After my first Sherman build I noticed that pieces B15 and B14 (that are supposed to look like track tension housings) are mounted way too low and when the idler assemblies are mounted at the right height, they do not line up at all. So, I filled, grinded and epoxied them to the correct height.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2105.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2239533

While I was at it, I also made some towing eyes that were completely overlooked by Tamiya.

Name:	HPIM2120.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2239534

Also, I went ahead and added the tow pintle.

I'm also going to add the screen that hangs from the upper hull and locks onto the engine access doors. I need to run down to Camp Atterbury to re-measure. My goal is to have it swing down like the real thing.

And, to add to my list of corrections for the Sherman kit, I will be adding bearings to the rear idlers. Especially since metal tracks are to be added, this is a must modification!

Name:	HPIM2107.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	2239535

Just need to drill and measure for some nice ball bearings!

Name:	HPIM2106.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2239536

That's all for now! I work very slow so don't expect it to be done this year!

Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Progress on my M4A1E8 Sherman Build

nice challenge. Got any extra A1 hulls laying around?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Panther F

Contact firenick (he's a member here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...m?memid=229958 ) about the A1 hull that he makes.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, do you have a pic of this screen you were talking about to the engine compartment doors?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Panther F

Old 11-09-2007, 04:02 PM
hdbeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, I need to make some towing eyes for the back of mine, front ones are finished [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Panther F

Have a few more pics on what's going on with this build. I decided to go with as much metal as I could so I went with the shaft supports (SH0025), gearbox braces (SH0029) and the Hexagon screw set (SH0020) that replaces those nasty looking kit phillips head screws in the suspension. Plus I sprang for the metal oil reservoir set too.

It's been long discussed to solder the metal reservoirs but discussing it and it playing out are completely different. You better make sure it is straight before the solder flows or they'll end up crooked.

I used my trusty 5 minute epoxy which allows you to reposition as it sets so that the piece is nice and straight!

Plus, you can add more epoxy on the inside to add more strength to the bond. I have the stock plastic pieces installed this way on my first Sherman and after 3 years they haven't come off!

Plus I added the metal conical springs and the metal end plates with the nickel silver metal suspension set (SH011) which replaces those plastic pieces C5, C9 and MS1. Plus, metal bearings where added and everything's been painted.

Here's a few finished shots of the tow pieces I made.

I borrowed the tow hooks from my BYA Easy Eight kit that I never used to finish out what Tamiya left off.

Still much more to do, lots of metal detail left to prep and glue in. I'll work on assembling the suspension this weekend and make my way to the upper hull where I must add the fender extensions and scratch the tubular supports, glue in all the lifting hooks and much more.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeff

Old 11-23-2007, 02:02 PM
StoneColdFreak

Looking good, Panther F! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] I think I will be following in your footsteps, soon, with my own Sherman build. I've already been looking at some of the upgrades that you are adding, so I will be following your post to see just how you did it all.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Panther F

Thanks StoneColdFreak! If you have any question regarding any of the products or how they work feel free to ask away!

BTW, this is what it should look like when finished, only fresher paint!

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63044.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	810077  
Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Panther F

Wow ... hard to believe it's been 2 months since I last posted any pics of my build. I told ya I wasn't in any hurry!! After recoverying from being sick around Thanksgiving, figure in the Holidays, losing the drive to want to get out and get materials while shopping for Christmas, I just let everything sit for awhile.

It's funny, it took a 1/77nd scale airplane kit I kicked out in a couple of hours this Sunday to get back in the mood again. This isn't just going to be a battler, but I want to spend some time with detailing and things that have been neglected in the past.

The following pics are pretty self explanatory. A little bit of modifying the resin turret kit, grafting the Tamiya turret ring to fit it, measuring the elevation arm out, reinforcing the mantlet pivot arms and installing the emitter tube correctly. I still need to test the balance of the barrel with the muzzle brake installed to see if I need more weight at the other end.

It ain't pretty, but beauty is only skin deep!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
hdbeast

Looks Good, now get back to working on it.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
gigantohawk

PantherF Hi. It's all looking great. The rear of the Sherman is really coming to life.
How difficult is it to seperate the rear idler assembly. I was thinking of seperating mine with a view to converting them to ballraces when they get a bit worn.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Panther F

They're not that bad. The 'hub cap' is just pressed on. I rigged up a puller, but I bet with equal prying on both sides it'll come off real easy!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:57 PM
gigantohawk

Panther F thanks for the info. I'll give it a go when I eventually finish my Sherman.

Thanks again,

Gigantohawk.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Panther F

No problem and you're welcome!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you going to leave it as a radial engined vehicle? I noticed you might not be doing recoil.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Panther F

Yes. The M4A1E8 had the radial engine. At least the ones at Camp Atterbury do.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Ignore my previous post, I thought you were building an M4A3E8. Time to get the glasses checked, cocktails that is. By the way, I will race you to the finish! I have to rework my rear hull after our last battle day. We'll have to get 'em done for AMPS in April.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Panther F

That's the plan!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, you going to put on T-66 or T-80 track, or stay with the T-84? The earlier track looks cool, but very heavy.

I have one of Nicks' turrets but don't like the early style with split loader's hatch. All the E-8s I ever had to deal with had the oval hatch like the Pershing. No one liked the split hatches and they were known as finger choppers. Had to be VERY carefull closing them, one at a time, and watch your fingers. [:@]Not good when you're open and somebody starts shoting. [:'(]At the time, Nick didn't have the muzzle brake for the gun, so I have it mounted on a static Sherman as an early 76 VVSS tank. [] I think he now makes the muzzle brake and rear deck parts.

Looks like your Sherman is going to be very nice (and accurate) when you get it done.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Bill

Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Panther F

Hey Bill, thanks for the compliments. I'm gonna go with the T-66 tracks from Kenny Kong.

These are alot lighter than the T-84's that I did get when I bought the T-66 tracks but then sold them because of the weight issue.

The Tamiya Sherman comes stock with the T-80 tracks.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Panther F

Thought I'd show what I've been doing with this tank since I have a Tamiya Panther waiting (and itching) to get started on. I went with Nick's turret and did a few mod's to it to duplicate the tank I'm building it after. Once this is finished I need to finish the upper hull and she's done.

I thought I'd post a few pics of drilling out the aluminum housing of the Tamiya gearbox for my M4A1E8 build and install the SH0029 Mounting Kit.

First, all the gears, shafts and the 2 bearings must be removed. Then just line up the holes to be drilled with a 5mm bit.

Here you can see I already finnished the right gearbox and re-assembled it. These three photos show how the mounting kit ties the two boxes together to support and reduce any flexing in the upper half, while down below I'll use Daryl Turners gearbox mounting plate to reinforce the hull area.

I'll be using metal tracks with this tank and thought I'd experiment with the stock gearbox and later before I install them in the tank, I'll replace the stock motors with some Graupner Speed 400 6V motors.

Gee ... where does it all go?

I finally got around to drilling out the stock idler wheels for my 3rd Tamiya Sherman project I have planned and pressing the ball bearings from the IMPACT set in. I found that on my set I'll have to turn the metal axle down a little more near the hubcap, for it wouldn't set down into the bearing race. These turned out alot nicer than I expected!

These are the Daryl Turner idler wheel set for the Tamiya Sherman. I wanted the extra insurance for the 2nd Sherman project will have metal tracks, and I don't want any problems.

STILL, a long way to go but the hard part is over. I debated over this area for what seems forever but I feel I'm over the hump and can't wait to fire it up.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Who makes that metal brake for the barrel? (and which barrel is it?)

details, details!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 AM
971wright

In One word WOW have been trying to get my hands on a Sherman for ages would love this one brilliant work keep up the posts will watch with interest and wish it was mine

regards pete
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: WhiteWolf McBride

Who makes that metal brake for the barrel? (and which barrel is it?)

details, details!
The barrel is from a BYA E8 set and the muzzle brake is from Bob Morey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.