Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Hello, Experience is appricated please..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hello, Experience is appricated please..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 AM
D4ng3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, Experience is appricated please..

Hello, I am new to the forum, as well as the sport, and have really only gotten invloved with the RC world since I got a job this summer and a disposable income. I am 18 years old, and am looking into getting an RC vehicle to romp around the streets, yard, forests, packed snow tracks that will be built in the back yard, and a few dirt jumps. I figured the best type of vehicle for this type of punishment would be a monster truck... but before I get ahead of myself, I would like some general information please.

1. What are the differences between stadium trucks, buggies, truggies, and monsters?

2. I am pretty sure I am going to get a Nitro Monster Truck, nitro for power and tweaking/fooling around with it, and the Monster Truck because it can handle abuse that I want to throw at it, but what is a good truck for me? I have a price range of AROUND $200 (way low end i guess...) to about ~$550 for the total cost of a truck (including servos and gas and everything...). I want a reliable truck that gets good reviews, looks cool, preforms well, and ***COMES AS A KIT!***

I want to build my truck, so that when the time comes to take it all apart to fix something, I will know where things will go. Also, I (in general) like fooling around with this type of project, and its half the fun!

Do you have any suggestions?

I heard the HPI savage was a good truck, but I dont know which type... x? 4.6? 2.1? I..... *sigh* feel confused

I have attempted to do some research into this hobby, I know the engine sizes, and a little bit about how the cars work with glow plugs and such, but you guys could really help me out here. Thanks for the tips, and suggestions!

3. Do the trucks have a reverse? (sorry if it is a stupid question... it just seems that some may not... O_o)

p.s. Since it is a kit, and I am pretty sure they don't include servos/electronics, could you point me in the right direction or give suggestions?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
D4ng3r

Default RE: Hello, Experience is appricated please..

hey, sorry for a double post, but I found this link: I heard the savage is probably my best option...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HPI861

$450 for just the truck, that means i need to get:

Radio 2-channel

Glow Starter- 1.2volt

Paint for Body

How does that deal sound? and does it matter how much my reciever costs, or can i get a lower-priced one to keep me within budget?

##################
EDIT
##################

Hey, I just found the exact same kit for $90 less:
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=HPI861!1007

It looks like its the same truck! why is it so much less expensive? lol!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Snaut Rocket

Well if you want a kit the only mt thats a kit is the savage x ss. But since your price range is so much i would definitly look into the lst2.
Dam worth the price of it. Check killerhobbies for it.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
IL2mSturmovik

LST2 $549 @ killer hobbies
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage X SS for a kit which I would 100% recommend because I love mine to death, dont even think about Traxxas... The LST2 is definitely the best truck out of the box for the money, but since you want a kit I think the Savage is for you. Its the toughest truck around, and almost never breaks.....
Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 AM
D4ng3r

the lst2 isnt a kit though is it?

I wanted this to be a fun project to work on lol.

so... my local shop has a savage 4.6 x ss for $460. is that a good price? Canadian Dollars
Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Snaut Rocket

Thats what price it usually is. And dont worry about it. with these things you will be taking them apart and putting them back together over and over
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
D4ng3r

awesome, thanks for the replies. Im gonna go out RIGHT now and pick mine up. and I guess i will get the guys there to help me pick out a reciever and gas, etc..

thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Snaut Rocket

remeber to post some pics.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah but he sais 550 total. isnt that going to include shipping and thats not going to include glow starter, fuel, batteries or anything else he will need.

i am in the same boat as him since i cant figure out what i want but my budget is not limited by any means. i have around 3500 right now but im not trying to spend even close to that or even close to a grand. ive done my research and this is what ive come up with.

the savage x 4.6 rtr is nice but i also want to be able to build it myself and not have to use the hpi radio and servo's (im getting the "ss" kit myself in 3 weeks).

the losi lst2 is better then the savage but at the same time yes i love the hobby but i really dont want to spend that kind of money, i own so far 2 stadium trucks and have 5 electrics. xtm x-cellerator, rc10gt2, (2)losi xxx-s, (1)team tc4, (1)shumacher mi2, (1)tt-01D.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM
rcnitrohead

You will end up upgrading a lot on the RTR anyways, so in the long run buying the kit is worth it. The RTR comes with a very basic radio and servos, so you would be putting in at least $300 in it anyway... Its a great truck either way[8D]
Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
D4ng3r

OOphf. oww.

The total, for a gallon of gas ($28) the glow starter ($25?) batteries, the radio (forgot the brand... something that had a t and a k in it XD it is 2.4ghz and comes with 2 servos, one high powered and the other normal: $160!) all add up in the end. He knocked $40 off the truck and threw in a gas container, so now it is sitting at $420 for the kit because he is trying to move it.

The total for everything including tax was $720. I wasnt quite expecting that, but then again, it will last for a LONG time and will be kick ass to boot.

The man gave me some time to think about it, i went and got lunch next door, and decided that i was going to get the whole shebang. .. I go back to the store, and then it hits me: my debit card has a withdraw limit way less than 700 bucks on it. damn...

Thus, the saga starts. Go to a bank, get $720 cash (yikes! I should hire bodyguards..) and head back to the store, he is holding the whole kit for me.

Any comments guys?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Nick2618

You can save a lot on the radio. You do not need a 2.4ghz. That is a top of the line system and should be treated as a extra unless oyu think you will be racing. OR bashging with large groups of peeeps
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
D4ng3r

fantastic. Do you have any suggestions for some less expensive radio with servos? I am totally at a loss, the dude at the shop said that there was a $60 model, but I'm not sure it came with servos, and he said those were like $70-$120 each for the high torque ones..
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM
rcnitrohead

I dont think you should downgrade, 2.4GHZ is the standard now... Its very usefull, if you have any interferance most models have built in failsafes and if you are driving around anyone that is operating an R/C you will never have to exchange frequencies due to a potential conflict... $160 for a 2.4GHZ radio with servos is excellent, can you say what type of equipment you got? (What company)[8D] Welcome to the hobby[8D]
Old 11-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Snaut Rocket

or you just could of went with the lst2 and still have a great radio and engine probably 600 by the time you got your fuel.
ANd thats why i hate hobby shops. always trying to sell you the most expensive thing.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
D4ng3r

I guess it would be simpler, and more upgrade friendly to just go with the 2.4GHz controller right now. I just called the store, the reciever is a Spektrum, Model DX2.0 $160.00

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPM20200
Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
DriftingDragon

revo 3.3
Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Nick2618

Do you want to install reverse on your savage? Or ever think you might? If so you will need a 3 channel radio. If you are investing the money in a good radio i would say plan for the the future and get at least 3 channel for reverse.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
rcnitrohead

Meh the DX 2 is an O.K. system, but I guess it should be plenty for you[8D] And DriftingDragon, next time read the thread....
Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
D4ng3r

lol, random comment drifting dragon XD

is it even possible to have breaks and reverse? or only one or the other? or... IS reverse a break?

Its possible i could get a different controller, 3 channel, and get other servos.. O_o how much more would that be?

i havent bought it yet, but will at 10:00 tomorrow morning.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Snaut Rocket

hey dont get the spektrum. Get a cheap 3 channel radio since your bashing. WHy? Because the servos that come with the spektrum suck. with the extra money you could invest in a nice torque servo. And since your not racing ;you dont really need that fast of a throttle servo. so any one will work there.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM
rcnitrohead

This is what every basic R/C has:

Throttle/Brake which operate through 1 servo on 1 channel
Steering which is 1 servo usually (sometimes dual) on a channel)

Many people dont bother with reverse unless they really like the convenience, it also adds a decent amount of weight and extra parts to break (though they rarely break, but there have been some cases with the Savage reverse module). I have a T-maxx which has reverse and a Savage which doesnt. Sure its useful on the T-maxx, especially when you are driving on the streets, sometimes there is a curb the truck just cant scale. I really dont care for it in my Savage because well, it can scale any curb And usually, I need to run over and flip it over not because I cant get through an obstacle, but turn it over because of the damn wheelies So unless the third channel will flip my truck over, I dont need it lol. I'm thinking of using the thrid channel as a plow lift, since I plan to make a plow for my truck this season... If you think you want reverse, or will want to do something creative with the third channel then go ahead and buy the DX-3[8D] Tom.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 PM
89ram

brakes and reverse are DEFINITELY 2 different things, unless of course you like to tear your transmission apart to fix it all the time.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
89ram

i use a dx2 and i like it. i use a jr z9000t for steering, it was about $120, but atleast it's still working!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.