Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

LRP 28 Vs Picco P3 28 best bang for buck...(look inside)

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

LRP 28 Vs Picco P3 28 best bang for buck...(look inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
dmx434343

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LRP 28 Vs Picco P3 28 best bang for buck...(look inside)

Ok so i read about 7 pages and found that both of these engines are very good. In my reading come to the conclusion that the LRP will give me more top end while the Picco will give me more low end. I really havn't read anything NEGATIVE about either.

SO i go to call my LHS to get prices on the picco 28 and he said he stopped stocking it because so many customers were having issues with it (compression, not lasting long.) and he didn't reccomend it. I was kind of pissed because i spend nearly 2.5 hours researching and then hear something negative that almost makes me not want it anymore.

So should i get the LRP 28 instead or were his customers just idiots.

I know there are many post on BOTH of these engines but i guess i would like to hear any ones personal experince with either and how long they have had theirs for.

I am looking to put it in my Sportwerks turmoil buggy.

O and links to find either of these very cheap would be helpful as i will be buying one by monday.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: LRP 28 Vs Picco P3 28 best bang for buck...(look inside)

I have the LRP and LOVE it, and also have the Picco but haven't run it yet.. Here in Germany the LRP gets a bad rep cuz people say they don't last more than 2.5 gallons... The Picco is 1/5 more expensive, and based on what I've heard, I would expect it to last longer...

So which engine is better?? I don't know..

What I do know is that you can never trust your LHS.........
Old 11-15-2007, 03:59 PM
CrT-RaCeR

Personally i think his customers were just idiots, i had a picco .28 p3 for about a year now with 5 gallons on it and it runs fine...i also have the original picco .27! im a picco fan and they have a good rep in my opinion
Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both motors are excelent..the Picco is more powerful, from bottom to top...... the Picco carbs can be a bit tricky sometimes, from time ot time a Picco carb will need a little TLC, being made of both composite and aluminum the carbs can leak at seem sometimes ....the LRP carbs are usualy really good, being all aluminum they are less prone to leaking, but more prone to heat soak as well..... the Picco motors are italin made and definitely use higher grades of metals..the sleeves and pistons are much harder to work with......

here is the dyno tests of the Drake 28 ( Picco 28) and the LRP Spec 3 done by XRC..using the same test procedures.... as you can see the the Picco does make both more tourque and more top end power.... Not that the LRP is much behind, as both these motors are killer...... the LRP may feel revvier because of its smoother power curve , but on the dyno the Picco is on top

Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
supertib

for reference here is a dyno graph of a stock OS 28

Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 PM
supertib

and another test of the modded Picco 28 and a stock Ninja 28..the Ninja was dynoed on different fuel, so its output most likely could be a little higher withthe better fuel,

Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
BigBoyBigToy

hey tib and hersavage!!!! like tib says there both awsome mills my dad runs the lrp in his lst1 and i run the picco in my aftershock!!! my personal opinion on running both the picco is a animal compared to the lrp! but the lrp is alot smooother!!! also like tib said the card on the picco is a lil aggorvating till u get it seated just right!!.... but i would take the picco anyday over and over vs the lrp!!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
dmx434343

i have heard all this good about picco my mind tells me picco my heart tells me lrp. I went on tower and ordered the lrp for 150. I had a 25 dollar cupon i found some website CODE: 010JA
I had to buy $25 in misc parts for my revo and rustler any way so it worked out.

Will let you guys know how it goes once it comes in!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
The Winner

both engines are very good mills! the lrp as you say it has crazy top end while the picco has low end! in dyno the lrp hit 1.87 hp at 27.500 rpm but not sure for the picco but was the same! i have the lrp and i love it i have run throught it 3 galons+ and it is ok, it fire on the first pull! i love both engines! if i have money i will test and the picco ! but when i will buy a truggy that i want to race in my local track i will go with lrp! just check these videos! the first is a kyosho st-r whith lrp this combo a i like! and the other is the lrp team ine the germany that do some tricks! sorry the second link has two videos!
1st link: http://www.radiocontrol.gr/pa_kyosho...str_101206.htm in this link on the top click at the video!
2nd link: http://www.myvideo.de/news.php?rubri...=&searchOrder=
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
The Winner

HERE IS A REVIEW IN THE XRC MAGAZINE FOR THE LRP SPEC3 TRUGGY!

Perfect result – 10 Points! US Magazine tested the LRP Z.28R Spec. 3 Truggy engine!

The US RC magazine „Xtreme RC Cars“ tested the all new LRP Z.28R Spec. 3 Truggy engine in their May/07 issue and their overwhelming result is: “best possible test-result with the magic 10.0 points!â€!!!

Here’s the complete test from Derek Buono, Executive Editor:

“LRP is a company to watch. They might not think they're doing anything special, but from speed controls to nitro engines, LRP seems to put an extra effort into giving the consumer a product that not only delivers on price, but offers quality. When I first tested their .12 race engine, l was literally stunned by how good it was. At the time, it rocked the horsepower record. When the Z.28R Spec. 3 Truggy engine appeared, I had some high expectations. I knew from previous experience that they not only make good electronics, they make good engines. While the Z.28 loses its ''Made in ltaly" stamping. surprisingly, it doesn't shy away from putting the power down. Looking for an affordable powerhouse? It comes in a blue box.â€

Features

While it's not born in Italy the Z.28R Spec. 3 performs as though it does, and has the same features. In the box you'll find the basics for a race engine - an assortment of venturis for tuning, a flywheel collet, and a glow plug. Rip the sticker off the top and start the break-in process.

Crankshaft

Nothing too special can be seen on the crank. That's not to say that it matters, as time and time again we've seen that it doesn't take Fancy carving to produce power. The intake is large, and there's no back filling or much else in terms of balancing, other than what has been removed. You'll find three turbo scoops to help get fuel into the engine more efficiently.

Connecting Rod

Again, nothing fancy, just a stout conrod ready to take the abuse of Truggy use. It's got a slight knife edge, but not a teak knife, more like something you'd find in a diner. But the theme here is cost reduction, and the time it takes to hand modify any part costs money.

Carburetor

The carb has something that LRP calls XTEC thermal protection. The literal translation: The dual material carb has a thermal barrier to help reduce the intake charge temperature. The colder the air and fuel entering the engine, the more

power the engine can make. It's a traditional 2-needle slide carb. All the settings are super smooth and easy to move, making fine-tuning much more precise.

Crankcase

The black business suit look makes it ready to rock. There are a substantial number of fins on the crankcase to help keep the temperature in the low 200s.

Cooling head

A huge l0-fin cast aluminium head has been machined out for weight reduction and additional cooling. It's rather large, more than likely because its intended use is one of the harshest out there.

Piston and Sleeve

LRP calls this an 8+1 port configuration, with eight transfers and one exhaust port. Looking at the sleeve, you can still see some flashing on the ports, which could be seen as a negative. The piston isn’t much, compared to the rest of the engine, and wouldn’t stand out in a police lineup.

Performance

In reading the above text about the features you may think I was not "feeling" this engine, but the truth is just the opposite. Engines like this remind me that nothing replaces one that's well

designed. Sure, there are engines that put out more power, but for how much more money? The LRP engine here is what I'd call a budget engine, but puts out budget-busting power. After a quick break-in on the dyno, it was time to put the squeeze on the needles and start to wring some power out of it. The results were impressive. It took a considerable amount of adjustment on the top and bottom end to get the engine singing, but once I got it closed and started the fine-tuning, it ran like a champ. The final run of the day yielded the best result, with a more than respectable 1.87 hp @ 27,200 rpm, and a huge amount of torque at 70.77 oz.-in. Those are big league numbers from an engine priced in the minor leagues. For comparison purposes the last Italian .28 kicked out 2.0 hp and about the same torque, but it cost more.

Conclusion

LRP has got it going on right now. Their engines are good, and depending on which you choose you'll find some of the best values on the market. To put it simply, this Z.28R is ready to rip up whatever you put it in. Above-average power and below-average price multiply its value exponentially. Sure, there’s room for improvement in the engine; it’s pretty basic. But this is the formula that yields power, not extra cash from your pocket. If you’re racing truggy, or looking for a better engine for your Monstertruck, the Z.28R Spec.3 is ready for the challenge.

Technical Data:

Engine size: 4.59ccm (.28) Bore/Stroke 18.5mm / 17.0mm
Power output* 3.95 hp Number of ports 8+1 (8x transfer-, 1x exhaust-port)
Useable RPM range* 38.500 Crankcase LRP XTEC.28 Heavy Duty, black coloured
Carburetor XTEC thermal protected Competition slide carburetor with venturi inserts (7.5, 8.5 and 9.0mm included) Piston Fully CNC-machined, high silicium alloy
Exhaust Rear Connecting Rod Fork shaped aluminium using double bushings
Crankshaft 13.0mm / 3 Turbo scoops / SG-shaft Glowplug LRP Standard style R6 (No. 35060)
Liner ABC Weight 450g
*Figures may vary depending on used fuel, muffler and tuning.
Order No. Iem
32809 LRP Z.28R Spec.3 Truggy
Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
dmx434343

holy **** that second link is insane. These guys are flying HIGH. what engine and truggie are they using in the second one? I have a buggy which is probably a bit heavier but should still create some good power
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: The Winner

both engines are very good mills! the lrp as you say it has crazy top end while the picco has low end! in dyno the lrp hit 1.87 hp at 27.500 rpm but not sure for the picco but was the same! i have the lrp and i love it i have run throught it 3 galons+ and it is ok, it fire on the first pull! i love both engines! if i have money i will test and the picco ! but when i will buy a truggy that i want to race in my local track i will go with lrp! just check these videos! the first is a kyosho st-r whith lrp this combo a i like! and the other is the lrp team ine the germany that do some tricks! sorry the second link has two videos!
1st link: http://www.radiocontrol.gr/pa_kyosho...str_101206.htm in this link on the top click at the video!
2nd link: http://www.myvideo.de/news.php?rubri...=&searchOrder=
the Picco 28 ( Drake 28) hit 2.01 HP @27000 RPM and 76 oz/in TQ..... Its not quite true to say the LRP has better top end then the Picco, as according to the dyno results the Picco makes more power over the entire RPM range.....Bottom end, midrange and topend.......... The LRP has a smoother curve, but it certainly doesnt hold any power advantage over the Picco at any point in the RPM range......

Anyways in a buggy the smoother power of the LRP will be a better choice...a Picco 28 is much to vile to be using in a buggy, all it would do is spin the tires endlessly.........
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
dmx434343

thanks the winner for that article it makes me feel really good about my engine thats on her way!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 AM
The Winner

ORIGINAL: dmx434343

thanks the winner for that article it makes me feel really good about my engine thats on her way!!!

you don't need this article to make you feel good for the lrp! because you know yourself that the lrp is good! this article i found it at www.lrp.cc it from the xrc magazine! and the engine that use the buggy is lrp z.28r spec3 truggy engine with 36% nitro! offtopic: in two days i will try at my lrp 30% byron fuel!supertib the picco in the dyno was moded? anyway both engines are the best!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 AM
dmx434343

what fuel are you using now in the lrp?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
The Winner

i use coolpower 25% and i have try and the rb monster fuel 25% and is not good! the coolpower is verygood for lrp! but the best is byron 25 or 30!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: The Winner

ORIGINAL: dmx434343

you don't need this article to make you feel good for the lrp! because you know yourself that the lrp is good! this article i found it at www.lrp.cc it from the xrc magazine! and the engine that use the buggy is lrp z.28r spec3 truggy engine with 36% nitro! offtopic: in two days i will try at my lrp 30% byron fuel!supertib the picco in the dyno was moded? anyway both engines are the best!
the stock Picco makes 2.01 HP and 76 oz/in, XRC usualy only tests stock motors ...........the modded makes 2.3 HP and 85 oz/in................

for a buggy a .21 like a Jammin JPX .21 will smoke the .28's beleive it or not.....a motor like a Spec 3 really has a very poor top end compared to a race .21 when its in a light machine like a buggy...the Spec 3 is really a MT motor ( so is the Picco 28 ) MT motors make good power, but they lack the broad RPM range of a good .21
Old 11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
The Winner

yeah i know that a 21 will smoke and the lrp and the picco!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: supertib

ou don't need this article to make you feel good for the lrp! because you know yourself that the lrp is good! this article i found it at www.lrp.cc it from the xrc magazine! and the engine that use the buggy is lrp z.28r spec3 truggy engine with 36% nitro! offtopic: in two days i will try at my lrp 30% byron fuel!supertib the picco in the dyno was moded? anyway both engines are the best!
the stock Picco makes 2.01 HP and 76 oz/in, XRC usualy only tests stock motors ...........the modded makes 2.3 HP and 85 oz/in................

for a buggy a .21 like a Jammin JPX .21 will smoke the .28's beleive it or not.....a motor like a Spec 3 really has a very poor top end compared to a race .21 when its in a light machine like a buggy...the Spec 3 is really a MT motor ( so is the Picco 28 ) MT motors make good power, but they lack the broad RPM range of a good .21
[/quote]
What is better for truggy's then since they are not quite buggys and not quite mt's, I see a few more turggy specific engines are coming out now are they the holy grail or do the higher revving 21's still have the edge?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: gt5500

ORIGINAL: supertib

ou don't need this article to make you feel good for the lrp! because you know yourself that the lrp is good! this article i found it at www.lrp.cc it from the xrc magazine! and the engine that use the buggy is lrp z.28r spec3 truggy engine with 36% nitro! offtopic: in two days i will try at my lrp 30% byron fuel!supertib the picco in the dyno was moded? anyway both engines are the best!

What is better for truggy's then since they are not quite buggys and not quite mt's, I see a few more turggy specific engines are coming out now are they the holy grail or do the higher revving 21's still have the edge?
[/quote]

I guess it really depends on the application......a good .21 does make alot of midrange and top end power..... more then a mill like a Spec 3 or stock Picco 28.........but the .21 doesn't make as much bottom as the .28's...But also the .21 will have a broader powerband, it was designed around single speed applications.... the big .28's were really designed around 2 speed applications........

For a Truggy its a tossup...if your bashing you can gear up a big 28 and make better use of its power....if your racing a strong .21 is better suited......... I run both .28's and .21's in Truggy... I actualy much prefer a strong .21 over a .28, but its also personal preference... I find overall the .21's are faster then the .28's......
Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 PM
dmx434343

which is lighter a buggy or truggy?(usually) and what are the MAJOR differences?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 PM
The Winner

the buggy is lighter than the truggy!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:55 PM
dmx434343

Alright so since my buggy is lighter than my revo
and this guy has a LRP 28 in his REVO
will i be able to do second gear wheelies TOO?!?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89697494641802

IM GETTING TOOOOOO EXCITED!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM
ttoks

buggies are lighter, usually by about 600 grams (1.5 pounds) buggies have both shorter a arms then a truggy, and a shorter chassis, smaller tires and are only allowed to race with .21's
Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 AM
dmx434343

thanks ttoks, alright so im here in michigan and its about 40 degrees. Which glow plug should i use on my LRP? When i bought it from tower it didn't reccomend a specific one so any help is appreciated.

O and since i will be using 30 percent byrons fuel should i add more gaskets or dose it come with enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.