Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

LB Getting Ready for SNOW - Kyosho EP Blizzard DF-300 Thread!

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

LB Getting Ready for SNOW - Kyosho EP Blizzard DF-300 Thread!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:24 PM
GTRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LB Getting Ready for SNOW - Kyosho EP Blizzard DF-300 Thread!

Thanks! This would really help!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:28 PM
GTRice

Ok, I don't know much about this, but do you mix the fluid with the grease that your gonna use and put it on the diff gears or use the grease to seal the diff so nothing will get in the fluid and just put the fluid on the diff gears? Sorry LB, but I don't really know much about this stuff.[]

Need to look over this thread more often![:@]
Old 12-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, I just made things up as it goes myself..

I use the grease to kind of seal the fluid, if you will.. so on the edge, I use some grease, and in the middle, I fill it up w/ the silicon fluid.. and when I put things back together, some of the grease will get squeezed out, and I just clean those up..

Not saying it is the way to go.. just how I did it.. ha!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
GTRice

Sounds great thanks! I got some excellent grease, so I might make a LSD diff.

But as I said before, I'm sticking with bushings around the truck, but I really would like it to be fully ball raced, those rubber bearings on ebay where you can get full set for it, I was thinking of picking one of those up, but since the price is in U.S., I have to pay it more in Canadian![:@]. Also, the guy that sells the bearings have to charge me more for shipping![:@]. This is why sometimes I hates when buying out of country, have to pay more for shipping mostly.[:@]

I found regular bearings that fits well at my LHS, but they are not rubber sealed, so gonna rust mostly, but I did mention rubber will rust, but IMO, I don't think really they rust, since they are sealed with some kind of piece of rubber or plastic attached at the sides of the bearing.

But these seems ok, as what is being said from this seller, but they are not cheap!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Bearings-KYOS...3286.m20.l1116

Bushings are ok for vehicles that are pretty slow like these, but would be nice for BB's for smooth tranny movement, but using bushings, better grease them. If not going in snow or any wet conditions, I can use standard BB's so no worries about rusting, but what is so fun about the Blizzard, when not going in snow? Right? These are meant for snow and other extreme terrains!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL @ the $100 ballbearings...

I might consider it if my Blizzard is going 80mph...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Cross

One thing to remember bearings that are sealed have grease inside them. The grease will keep water out. You mentioned putting grease on the outside of them to keep out water but the grease inside them will do this. Some sealed bearings have removable seals so you can clean out old grease and put in new grease when needed. I think you would be very surprised how rust resistant bearings are as long as you do not let them sit in water.

In Canada look for a bearing supplier. Measure your bushings and order the bearings from them most the time at a cheaper price too. I have a few places I was going to order bearings from that are not a hobby supplier. You can pick what kind of bearings you get, how good of a seal, stainless, etc. All you need are the inner and outer diameters of the bushings they will replace.

Edit: I just looked at the bearings you found on ebay. My opinion they are junk for the price they are asking. They have a ABEC 1 rating, this is the lowest tolerance spec for precision bearings. If you are going to go through the trouble of upgrading to bearings I would go with nothing below a ABEC 5. Alot of people will tell you ABEC ratings do not mean much but in my experiences the higher the ABEC rating the better a bearing works. Not all bearings are created equal and ABEC ratings are a good way of weeding out the bad ones and finding the good ones.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 PM
GTRice

Well, I don't know if they are bad or good, but I am working so hard to found the rubber seal BB's in around Canada. The only ones I found are BB's with plastic like material or fiber glass that is on both sides of the BB, they will do a good job keeping dirt and dust away from the insides of the BB, but they won't work against water, they will still get in the BB. Guess it's last resort, bushings. [:@][:@][:@]
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Mad Racer

Well, I don't know if they are bad or good, but I am working so hard to found the rubber seal BB's in around Canada. The only ones I found are BB's with plastic like material or fiber glass that is on both sides of the BB, they will do a good job keeping dirt and dust away from the insides of the BB, but they won't work against water, they will still get in the BB. Guess it's last resort, bushings. [:@][:@][:@]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-EP-Blizza...3286.m20.l1116 I think you're mind gaming yourself on bearings. Most go with this seller ... cheap & fast shp'g. Read his info and pick the set you need. All I do is blow the blizzard off and take it inside. No problems at all.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
GTRice

Yeah, I was thinking of moving to that one, but I don't understand what the seller means by building combos. You know?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Mad Racer

Yeah, I was thinking of moving to that one, but I don't understand what the seller means by building combos. You know?
I believe the combo deal is to get some with metal shields, etc. If you get the set linked by me above ^^^^, you should be covered.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
GTRice

I don't really know what the seller is meaning by that, but I guess he/she is probably the best to get BB's from. Since those BB's are rubber sealed on the sides, no water can get inside the BB right? But will there be rust on the round parts on the BB?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Lunchboxer

Build your own combo just means you can choose and pick how many metal shield ones, how many rubber shield ones, what size, etc. Instead of the pre-packaged stuff he has...
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Cross

Click on the big red "here" in the auction and it takes you to a site that describes all the bearings available. You can get metal shield, rubber shield, colored shields, steal balls, ceramic balls, even stainless balls. This allows you to pick and choose the best bearing for its specific application vs, just buying the assortment the seller has made up.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 AM
secretsg

Just buy it from walastore on eBay. He have everything from abec1 to ceramics at reasonable prices. You can pick metal shield or rubber versions.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 PM
GTRice

ORIGINAL: Cross

Click on the big red "here" in the auction and it takes you to a site that describes all the bearings available. You can get metal shield, rubber shield, colored shields, steal balls, ceramic balls, even stainless balls. This allows you to pick and choose the best bearing for its specific application vs, just buying the assortment the seller has made up.
Well I guess for picking which BB set will be the rubber shield if running in wet conditions obviously.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Cross

I would also go for the stainless bearings in places they will be exposed to moisture.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 PM
kennebell50

I got my EP DF 300 today. Trimmed and painted the body orange. Put a XL-5 ESC in and left the stock motor. Put the rest together and tried it out. I see what everyone is saying about the diff lube. Right side only wanted to move until I adjusted the steering trim. The stock motor actually had pretty decent go to it.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Lunchboxer

Got 6" of snow yesterday.. so the Blizzard got some workout this afternoon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7- -n_wTyNXU

RCU is not allowing me to post the proper link.. so you just need to copy and paste the 2 above (I broke it off in the middle) and you will get to the video..

Looks like "- -" is being translated into "_" by RCU.. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM
GTRice

The link doesn't work LB. What's up? [&:]
Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Lunchboxer

Hmm.. Try again?! It somehow gave me a different link when I uploaded it.. it should work now!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM
secretsg

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Got 6" of snow yesterday.. so the Blizzard got some workout this afternoon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n_wTyNXU
Nice video LB. Blizzard works flawless in the cold. How did your 3pks like hte cold? My LCD was real slow at changing screens after 15-20min out in the cold.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Lunchboxer

Thanks SecretSG! I think I am slowly learning how to use the camcorder a little bit better.. instead of the automatic mode, there's a mode to let the camcorder calibrate for the white balance.. so I think the video I did today is slightly better than before.. (well, if you don't mind the shaky hand + off focus when trying to look for the Blizzard.. !)

I guess we don't really get that cold.. my 3PKS seems to be okay.. ?! Maybe I just didn't pay attention..

Yeah, my Blizzard was working really well.. I can lock the track or turn very very gradually if I wish.. the combination of mechanical changes (pads + LSD) and electronics (exponential setting on the 3PKS) makes it very easy to drive.. !
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
GTRice

Ok, it works now. Thanks. Great video. That is some hard pack soft snow!

Just started to build mine, what a pain, it's not that it's hard to build, it's just that I can't find and remember where I put my tools too!!![:@]

I only found some scredrivers, but I needs my Tamiya liquid thread lock, but can't seem to find it!!![:@]
Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 PM
GTRice

I never had time to order the fluid, anyways, I don't think I need it, but I'm sometimes thinking of will it leak out of the diff gear box. Also, using bushings, but greased them at least, pictures soon to come.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
jpvert

Hello all,

First of all Happy New Year for all the Blizzard enthusiasts !
My cat is now completed so here are some pictures :

It's running a Sidewinder + 5700MM and it should see snow for the first time today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.