Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Dokioto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Hey guys..

Anybody here own/driven a LX1? I am fairly new to the 1/8 scale buggy world and am looking at getting one of these in the next couple of weeks (I am a basher). So what do you think about it (I have searched and not to many answers)? Any problems? Hop-ups? Durability? Where do you get parts?
Don't forget pics Thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
smalltownsavage

Default RE: Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

I'm actually in the process of getting one myself. I hear alot of good things about them, but I don't know all the details.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 PM
solareclipsed

I actually have two of them and love them. They are super tough and run great especially for the price. I get parts for it on ebay.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
xxturbowesxx

i have one but get a hyper 7...ive had diff problems with my lx comp otherwise its alright but by no means a race vehicle..
Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Paradoxmaker

ORIGINAL: xxturbowesxx

i have one but get a hyper 7...ive had diff problems with my lx comp otherwise its alright but by no means a race vehicle..
A Hyper 7 would serve you better in the long run but there is really nothing major wrong with the LX's that a little upgrade/maint won't fix.

My son has a LX Comp and the only real problems has been the setscrews on the front and rear drive cups. They keep coming loose and can tear up the tranny case/driveshaft/cup pretty fast if you don't notice...

The Diffs can be fixed with good shimming of the pinion gear and replacing the stock rings with hardened ones.

Other than that, the LX 1 is a great improvement over the older LX comps. They have the c-hub front end now and Jammin Big Bores on them (thats a $100 upgrade right there)...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Dokioto

Sounds great! Can't wait to pick one up.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:50 AM
psiturbo

The problem with that buggy is the rear brace is JUNK and I am not joking at all. I used to have the Ofna Ultra GT which is the SAME chassis and even has the same rear brace and this is what I had to do...

If you are a jumping freak it will collapse, the tower will bend forward with rear brace been crunched with it. I got tired of replacing it and buying rear bulkheads and decided to fix the problem with the customized braces. Its not a bad buggy, but it seems incredible they have not fixed the problem after so many years in production.

Once I installed the two extra braces it never game any problems even on very high jumps.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Paradoxmaker

I've never heard of any complaints on the rear braces on the Ultra....I have custom braces on my son's but not because he was bending anything but because i modded it to use a Jammin radio box.

That was my absolute biggest gripe on the Ultra's, the radio box is annoying crap.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 PM
psiturbo

I dont know about you but I drove mine like it was stolen and made 8 to 10m feet jumps on it. At the beginning it was fine and I had a good time, but after a few months the rear bulkhead started to give up and the rear brace bent again and again.

The OFNA is a bashing buggy so it must be made to take the beating and that rear brace does not do the job.

If you say so, well lucky you and I respect that, for some reason ALL and I mean ALL buggies have a REAL brace, not some cheapo flange bolted to plastic.

Hey, its not my money, don't say here on the forums you were not told about this POS.

Keep the rubber side down...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

As a basher it will be OK but if you can I would get the Hyper 7.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Dokioto

I am just bashing so it should suit me just fine.. Thanks for the info on the brace, might have to pay extra attention to it.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Chopped02

I can't say many good things about the LX-1. I bought one for my son and at first, I was impressed with how well it started and the break in process was nice and smooth. The Force .28 was ridiculously fast. After about a gallon of 20%, the problems started. The motor began running like crap. I re tuned it several times, tried different glow plugs and nothing worked. So, I took the engine apart and inspected everything which looked good. I sealed it up and put it back together. It ran decent for about 5 minutes and died. Gave it to my tuning guru at the LHS for a week and even he couldn't figure it out. So, I junked the .28 and put in an OS .21 VG. Now it runs but that was just the start of it. The rear bevel gear on the diff got completely chewed up. No big deal, I figured the diff needed to be shimmed better. I replaced the gear, shimmed it and was back in business. 4 warm up laps at the track and the same gear chewed up the teeth again. Replaced it and re shimmed it and seemed fine. Then I noticed that once I put some Pro-Line pre mounts on it, the inside of the wheel rubs the steering arms. Same thing with Panthers. I found that only the OFNA wheels will work without rubbing. This was also a problem on the owner of the LHS's kids LX-1's as well. The chassis tweaked after taking a small tumble at the track too. Now, I know that when you race, parts are going to break but I found the problems on this particular buggy to be a bit excessive. Maybe I just got a lemon but I wouldn't reccomend one of these to anybody. I ended up putting it on the shelf and giving my son my CEN Matrix so he could make it through a qualifyer without breaking. This is not a slam on OFNA, just my .02 cents about this particular buggy.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Dokioto

Doesn't sound to bad.. A little gear problem.

Only uses OFNA wheels without rubbing? This doesn't sound good.[&:]
Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Dokioto

When does it rub? All the time or when the suspension is preloaded?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Paradoxmaker

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Doesn't sound to bad.. A little gear problem.

Only uses OFNA wheels without rubbing? This doesn't sound good.[&:]

Well to be honest i have the same issue with my Jammin. I can't use Proline wheels either or internal webbing hit the arms at full turn and the rim edges eat up the ends of the tie rods.

Panthers although work with no problems.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Dokioto

Thanks.. I guess I will use panthers wheels..
Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Dokioto

How tough is the drive-train on this buggy?

When the stock engine dies I am thinking of getting a Axial .32 Good/Bad idea?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 AM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

I was going to get the ultra lx-one but i got the prolgics sho because it had better parts, but with some up grades the lx-one should be a great basher or an ok racer. you can leave the stock motor if your going to bash but if your going to race get a differend buggy or motor for the lx-one, "that would be the way to go"
Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 AM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

the 32 is a slow motor on all brands get a 28 or a 21
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Dokioto

For what I have heard the .32 has insane power.. I am just wondering if it is to much for the car.

If I don't get the .32 I would get this by Axial- [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRVJ1&P=ML].28rr[/link]
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 AM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

that's a good motor or get the os race 28
Old 12-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Dokioto

Thanks for the input
Old 12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Dokioto

Well got the Buggy today Looks great.. After a little closer look at the rear brace I see what some of you guys are talking about.. Not a lot of support, but should hold up for some bashing (not a lot of jumping).

What are you guys running for a steering servo? I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but most RTRs lack quality radio equipment..
I really want a starter box as well, but don't know what to look for (not a lot of experience with them).. Any suggestions (under $50 if possible)??
Old 12-25-2007, 07:35 PM
rshooch

go to nitrohouse.com and click on the lx1 buggy then click on hop ups they make an alum rear brace suport for $32.00 havent had trubbble with mine but i ordered it cause it dose look weak in the back. other than that this thing rips.. buy some tire glue cause you will have to reglue the tires i had to redo all four and i only have about 9 tanks threw it.. also get a bump start or the roto start for the savage(not the f4.6) the one that cost 35 or 36 bucks.. i have already melted two pull start handles...
Old 12-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Dokioto

Is [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERF2&P=7]this[/link] the Roto start you were talking about? Are you %100 sure that the backplate will fit?

I was thinking about this- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUC7&P=7
From looking at it and the description, sounds like the right thing. Like I said be for I don't have any experience with starter boxes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.