Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
whiteshift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

This is mine... will move to competition next year with. equipped with Futaba BLS Servo, JP-3 Exhaust Pipe and other modification. more to come.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
secretsg

ORIGINAL: whiteshift

Hi everyone. im unable to find replacement shock springs... can you help me? 21.5mm wide is hard to find... please help
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=9404697

This is the TNX5.2R shock parts bag. Should have the slightly firmer springs inside.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
secretsg

ORIGINAL: pmacpictures

Hello Nitrage fans,

I have just purchased one of these awesome machines.

I was just wondering what setup would be best for bashing around carparks and offroad bike tracks.

What weight oil should I be using in the shocks and what weight should I be using in the diffs. Also what would a reccomendation be to do before running this beast to prolong the life of the gearbox and diff.

Cheers,
Pat
Try 10-50-5 for diffs. The nitrage diffs are small so heavier than normal weight can be used. The center should have heavy diff oil to prevent overheating.

Shocks is your preference, try maybe 35-40wt to start.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM
pmacpictures

ORIGINAL: secretsg

ORIGINAL: pmacpictures

Hello Nitrage fans,

I have just purchased one of these awesome machines.

I was just wondering what setup would be best for bashing around carparks and offroad bike tracks.

What weight oil should I be using in the shocks and what weight should I be using in the diffs. Also what would a reccomendation be to do before running this beast to prolong the life of the gearbox and diff.

Cheers,
Pat
Try 10-50-5 for diffs. The nitrage diffs are small so heavier than normal weight can be used. The center should have heavy diff oil to prevent overheating.

Shocks is your preference, try maybe 35-40wt to start.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help as I was about to try 7-10-3.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
whiteshift

what is 10-50-5 oil.. i have tamiya #30000 diff oil hop-up option op760... you think its ok for center gearbox and diffs?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
secretsg

30000 = 30 (30k). It's best to use that for center diff. Use lighter stuff for F/R
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
hunternaf

Does anyone own more than 1 brand truggy that races a nitrage, how does it stack up against the losi, mugen,or others. Is it competitive on the race track? the evilbay price sure is attrctive
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
secretsg

No it is not competitive. Not even remotely given same driver. It's more of competition for the first gen of truggies like Hellfire/Mantis/ST1 etc.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 PM
hunternaf

thanks how about against a revo?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 AM
tazamazoo

ok i got my nitrage buggy on monday ,it had a sticky oiley substance on the metal frame. first thing that i thought was the center diff was leaking so i called tamiya america and they said it was a spray that they put on the motor to keep it from getting corrosion. well i looked that the diff.oil that i had 30,000 and it was the same stuff on the frame, well i just opened my center diff. and guess what? bone dry and none in it so hopefully i caught a big problem before it happened ,my manual says put 2/3 oil in it how full should i put in there full it up or half? and is there a seal i can put on it to seal it better?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
secretsg

ORIGINAL: hunternaf

thanks how about against a revo?
Any truggy will run around a revo in circles.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM
secretsg

ORIGINAL: tazamazoo

ok i got my nitrage buggy on monday ,it had a sticky oiley substance on the metal frame. first thing that i thought was the center diff was leaking so i called tamiya america and they said it was a spray that they put on the motor to keep it from getting corrosion. well i looked that the diff.oil that i had 30,000 and it was the same stuff on the frame, well i just opened my center diff. and guess what? bone dry and none in it so hopefully i caught a big problem before it happened ,my manual says put 2/3 oil in it how full should i put in there full it up or half? and is there a seal i can put on it to seal it better?
2/3 is fine. You cna put soe shock grease/aw grease around the edge of diff cup to make a makeshift gasket.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
pmacpictures

ORIGINAL: coalminer

Cheers RC
You are probably right about the nitrage/Ofna sleeve ports. To buy a TNX/Nitrage sleeve and piston is so expensive, but a year ago they were cheap on ebay.
I bought the sleeve and piston plus new engine bearings from California at a fraction of the "should be price" and had a full years running out of it.
So if you get the new parts at the right price it is worth rebuilding the engine. But dont fall into the same trap as I did and buy one of those re-pinching tools. I am an engineer myself and I could not get the "crappy" thing to do a half decent job of restoring the sleeve.Re pinching buys only a little more life.

And to ARRONLB.
I read that the Ofna jammin jp4 pipe is good but its not cheap !. I have used the Ofna Mutilator 32 pipes on my two Nitrages but with the stock Nitrage "header".........sounds great and response is good, much cheaper than the JP pipes for the same thing.
Hi Coalminer,

Can you please let me know what fuel tank and wheels you have on your nitrage?

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM
hjtrbo

Hey all,

I am resurecting the Nitrage after a year of sitting idle.
I'm looking for some shock boots and boots for the drive train to keep the dirt out. I get alot of search hits but nothing seems suitable? It's to much hit and miss just going off manufacturer photos. Could I have some suggestions please?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 AM
mychales

am sell my nitrage it has all the hop up anyone interested?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 AM
sparksy82

hi all im new and love the tips and tricks on the site
this is my nitrage i have not had it long and it has had a hard life
it has a 2 speed and more hopups in the post
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21624.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1659281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50603.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1659282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20099.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1659283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85033.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1659284   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10504.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1659285  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
pmacpictures

So my ntrage is nearly up to scratch.
Put 10-30-5 weight diff fluid in, 55 weight shock fluid, yellow springs off a TNX with some awesome bright orange shock socks so it stands out, sway bars (thicker on the rear) and have nearly run 2 litres of Nitro through it. The first thing I did when I got it was ditch the standard Tx and Rx and put a Spektrum DX3S with the telemetry reciever in the car which works really well!

So now just awaiting delivery of the front brake and am considering a 2 speed upgrade but I am a bit worried about breaking diffs with a 2 speed as I prefer going nuts on jumps rather than bashing on flat ground.

And am waiting tillI kill the tyres before going for the 17mm conversion for the wheels as the standard ones have heaps of grip for me and after all the little bits and peices I have done it handles really nicely.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM
sparksy82

nice i am still yet to see how long my diffs last no that i have a 2 speed .
hay im looking for better springs cos the stock ones ar to soft and it lands hard from jumps
are springs off a TNX any good ? or are there better ones for jumping and bashing ?
i have sway bars coming will that help get better control ? i hope so
Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
pmacpictures

ORIGINAL: sparksy82

nice i am still yet to see how long my diffs last no that i have a 2 speed .
hay im looking for better springs cos the stock ones ar to soft and it lands hard from jumps
are springs off a TNX any good ? or are there better ones for jumping and bashing ?
i have sway bars coming will that help get better control ? i hope so
What i did first to try get better clearance for jumps is move the suspension to the inner most points front and back and that helped a little. Thicker oil in the shocks also helps a little, but thebiggest difference were thestandard yellow springs off a TNX. The red ones might be a touch stiffer than the standard nitrage ones but they are the soft variation for the TNX. I will assume the Blue ones will be way too stiff but haven't tested them.

The sway bars helped heaps with control. I would probably recomend the thicker one at the back and thinner at the front or none at the front at all as standard the car likes a bit of understeer.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
sparksy82

ok cool i will try them settings thank you and i will get some yellow springs off a TNX.

Name:	Db86242.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1659421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58938.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1659422  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 AM
sparksy82

can some one tell me if the t-max drive sharts fit on the nitrage ?

Name:	Lj23857.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1659519  
Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM
coalminer

Hi Coalminer,

Cheers,
Patrick
[/quote]

Hi ya pal
Iv'e been away on my hols for a few weeks and only just read your question about the wheels and tank on my nitrage.
With the stock nitrage tank I always used to get problems with leaning out of the fuel when past half way down the tank, I could tune it up for the ambient weather temperature on a full tank and get it running great, but as the tank got below 1/2 full it always leaned off. I tried a new tank and exactly the same happened. Then I decided to have a go with the tank of the nitrages predecessor the Tamiya TNX. This tank draws fuel from the bottom of the tank as opposed to the Nitrage tank which draws fuel from the top. It is my personal belief that you get a better more constant fuel flow when drawing off the bottom tank port. folk may say I'm talking crap, maybe, but for me the TNX tank works and I find I am not having to mess about trying to re tune every two minutes. Another plus for this TNX tank is that it has a very handy fuel primer button, just give it about 6 pumps and you got fuel at the carb ready for detonation. I fitted the TNX tank to two Nitrages and got much better results on both cars.

The wheels are from a HPI Trophy 4.6 truggy. They are 17mm hexes as opposed to the Nitrages 14mm hexes, so some adapters are required. The diameter over all is slightly bigger than the stock nitrage tyres and are quite a bit slimmer , so are not as heavy and easier to "spin up", but I like the look of them as well.

Hope the info is of use to you mate.

Simon
Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
pmacpictures

ORIGINAL: coalminer

Hi Coalminer,

Cheers,
Patrick
Hi ya pal
Iv'e been away on my hols for a few weeks and only just read your question about the wheels and tank on my nitrage.
With the stock nitrage tank I always used to get problems with leaning out of the fuel when past half way down the tank, I could tune it up for the ambient weather temperature on a full tank and get it running great, but as the tank got below 1/2 full it always leaned off. I tried a new tank and exactly the same happened. Then I decided to have a go with the tank of the nitrages predecessor the Tamiya TNX. This tank draws fuel from the bottom of the tank as opposed to the Nitrage tank which draws fuel from the top. It is my personal belief that you get a better more constant fuel flow when drawing off the bottom tank port. folk may say I'm talking crap, maybe, but for me the TNX tank works and I find I am not having to mess about trying to re tune every two minutes. Another plus for this TNX tank is that it has a very handy fuel primer button, just give it about 6 pumps and you got fuel at the carb ready for detonation. I fitted the TNX tank to two Nitrages and got much better results on both cars.

The wheels are from a HPI Trophy 4.6 truggy. They are 17mm hexes as opposed to the Nitrages 14mm hexes, so some adapters are required. The diameter over all is slightly bigger than the stock nitrage tyres and are quite a bit slimmer , so are not as heavy and easier to "spin up", but I like the look of them as well.

Hope the info is of use to you mate.

Simon

Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to try and find somewhere that sells the TNX tank as I understand the leaning out issue as last night when I was bashing through a vacant lot it all of a sudden picked up and boogied as I am still running it a little richer as what I have heard is bashing is not really good for a lean car when you are about full throttle the whole time. Temprature wise it didn't get too high. only a little above 107C.

But for better efficieancy I might go the TNX one. Also does the TNX tank just bolt in the same holes?

I also have another question about your wheels. If you are still running the standard servo is it alot easier for it with the lighter weight or is it about the same due to the larger diameter?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:02 PM
coalminer

The TNX tank, unfortunately does NOT directly use the same stud mountings as the stock Nitrage tank. I had to fabricate a spacer to get it to fit. I used a 12mm thick peice of nylon as a spacer and just hacksawed it to suit. Hole centres were different and had to be redrilled and tapped into the nylon, I am sure with a little thought that any modeller will get it to fit some how. It honestly DID cure my leaning out problem, like I said, I have two Nitrages and both leaned out with the stock Nitrage tanks, my friend has one too and his did the same, so I am sure there are many more out there with this issue.

As for the wheels that you were asking about, I was not sure which ones you meant, I have used two types beside the stock tamiya Nitrage wheels. My first choice was the Traxxas Huricane wheels, these monsters were quite a bit heftier than the nitrages and while giving very good stability on the straight, were totally poo on the turns, now this may be that the stock servo was just not up to handling these great lumps, but I did like them still even I i was only going in a straight line.These wheels use the same 14mm hex as the Nitrage so are a direct fit, but i did have to shave a tad off the inner of the spokes with a craft knife.

But my favorites are the HPI Trophy 4.6 wheels and although do need 14-17mm adapters they are much lighter and slimmer and do reduce the overall weight a fair bit, to give good all round use with the stock servo. I used the Maximizer 17mm composite adapters for these wheels.
Sorry for the poor quality pics, but I only used my phone just now to take em.

My trouble these days is it is rare that I run my Nitros as I have a 1/5th scale petrol HPI baja, you get so addicted to these beasts that the nitros are now gathering dust, so I must get em polished up and use them again.

The

Name:	Jh14800.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1662814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25665.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1662815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88700.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1662816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71590.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1662817  
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Vava®

Hi Guys,

I bought my Nitrage too, but didn't arrive here in Brazil.
Do you know if its necessary re-check diff., shocks or anything before run ?

[]s

Vava

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.