Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I plunged and ordered a $100 1:10 Brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 PM
mog ruith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I plunged and ordered a $100 1:10 Brushless system

so mathew is that the ezrun or xerun esc form hobbywing?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Matthew007

ORIGINAL: mog ruith

so mathew is that the ezrun or xerun esc form hobbywing?
EZRUN and it rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/v/eW8VaT_PzZ8
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 AM
mog ruith

thats the slightly expensive version than the xerun is it? and where did you purchase it?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Matthew007

Read back a few pages.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:20 AM
mog ruith

ahh reading it the part i hated most
Old 08-01-2008, 10:53 AM
skyartec hk

Hi,

interesting what you think about our products. If any questions, please email me at [email protected] ... we will have now a 70A system for 1:10 monsters and a 120A system for 1:8 monsters.

Have a look at this vid www.modellfun.com/monsternew.com

70A ESC and 4000KV motor at 7.4V

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
snellemin

Michael,

I still use the old version ESC (repaired myself) in my son's rustler. It still runs, but only handles small loads(small motors). Is the 120A version rated at 120A RMS or peak like the old one?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Matthew007

ORIGINAL: skyartec hk

Hi,

interesting what you think about our products. If any questions, please email me at [email protected] ... we will have now a 70A system for 1:10 monsters and a 120A system for 1:8 monsters.

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com
Your ESC I bought never performed well and was made for airplanes. Looking at it it was never worth even $20 worth of electronics, just unreliable badly engineered crap that didn't last even for less than 8-cell nimh. What's the point of an esc if it causes a significant voltage drop, you need to set zero throttle every time you turn on your land vehicle, it cogs, and never delivers the current needed to the motor to even get top speed. With the REAL esc I have now I can get speeds and acceleration I never thought possible.
The 3300kv motor is really good though except it wont fit in many buggies cause of the built in heat sink in the middle and you NOOBS didnt even sand a flat part on the shaft so I had to do that myself.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Someone sounds mad
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
snellemin

The motors were very good, but the ESC just cost too much for it's capabilities.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Matthew007

ORIGINAL: snellemin

The motors were very good, but the ESC just cost too much for it's capabilities.
If by capabilities you mean cogging, never performing well, annoying to set up ever time and then burning even with 7 cells then you're right.
I owe everyone including you an apology for mentioning this rabid pos at all.
The hobbywing esc actually works and the esc never got really hot, the hottest it got was holding it for 4 seconds b4 I needed to move my finger, and that was at the end of a good run throttling a lot with 7 cells on very aggressive mode.
I'm going to test it tonight with a new 8-cell propel pack I soldered side by side with Gold Orion bars.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Matthew007

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Someone sounds mad
I' not mad. I'm an unemployed New Yorker.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 PM
snellemin

ORIGINAL: Matthew007

I' not mad. I'm an unemployed New Yorker.

Hope you find a new Job soon man.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 AM
skyartec hk

Hi,

no, the new ESC is able to handle 120A continuously. Burst loads are about 3 times the nomial current. We still dont have it ready thus, will be by mid of August. I will post pictures of it. This new ESC series are pretty intelligent in comparation with the old ones.

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com
Old 08-02-2008, 12:45 AM
skyartec hk

ORIGINAL: Matthew007

ORIGINAL: skyartec hk

Hi,

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com
Your ESC I bought never performed well and was made for airplanes. Looking at it it was never worth even $20 worth of electronics, just unreliable badly engineered crap that didn't last even for less than 8-cell nimh. What's the point of an esc if it causes a significant voltage drop, you need to set zero throttle every time you turn on your land vehicle, it cogs, and never delivers the current needed to the motor to even get top speed. With the REAL esc I have now I can get speeds and acceleration I never thought possible.
The 3300kv motor is really good though except it wont fit in many buggies cause of the built in heat sink in the middle and you NOOBS didnt even sand a flat part on the shaft so I had to do that myself.
I am sorry to hear that. We have redesigned the ESC completely, it now does have a on/off switch and a housing which is a lot smaller.... look here http://www.thiedemann-international....-1-10-CAR.html

As far as for the motor, we do now supply a 4000KV motor with, the housing is full-block milled, and it is completely sealed. Look at http://www.thiedemann-international....ner-Motor.html

Best regards,

Michael
Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Matthew007

Well your first esc was a fat lie so no thanks anymore.
Now for the Hobbywing 8-cell test run I managed to finally blow a tire as you can see in the pic lol. It sounded like when a car runs over a closed plastic bottle. I was getting new rims/wheels so I tried to blow the other four tires and I saw white smoke coming from the car. I thought I burned the esc but thankfully it was just dumb stupid chinese engineering again. I cycled the battery only once with a bulb, the timing was 7.5 degrees, 16T pinion, set on aggressive (2nd highest)..so it is a product defect (stupid one).
The on/off switch is actually a circuit breaker with 1mm wires for a system that has 60A/380A burst capability..what morons. No wonder they needed Clinton to give them secret info to launch missles w/o them crashing back in their faces.

I'm going to email them for their own sake and solder the connection directly, Ill just plug/unplug the battery which should work for programming too later..
My mrc charger pooped so I put the batteries in the fridge, I had enough. See you guys in a few months? lol I'll still reply to this topic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97477.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1002374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69978.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1002375  
Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

so, matthew, I cant tell from your comments, do you like the newest ezrun you bought or was it junk like the first system (that you bought 12/07)?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Matthew007

Well it is now because apparently it doesn't work if you leave the switch on the whole time. These people are just idiots. How can you use a circuit breaker type switch on thin wires in a circuit that can pull so much current? Maybe they don't understand basic electrical laws.
I wouldn't buy anything like an ESC from china anymore cause they are stupid and don't test their products to their specs.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I am sorry to hear that. We have redesigned the ESC completely, it now does have a on/off switch and a housing which is a lot smaller.... look here http://www.thiedemann-international....-1-10-CAR.html

As far as for the motor, we do now supply a 4000KV motor with, the housing is full-block milled, and it is completely sealed. Look at http://www.thiedemann-international....ner-Motor.html

Best regards,

Michael
How's that old saying go?
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

This is exactly why I go with reputable companies like Novak, LRP, or Castle Creations. The ultra low price tag is never worth the risk.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Access

I love that site it's like "price only available to registered merchants". It's like they expect everyone else to order on faith that the price will be good enough.

Also the switch, I don't think that's as much an issue as the other things. I can't think of an ESC out there today where the switch is a true on/off switch. Making it a true on/off switch would hurt the ESC's peformance. In most cases the switch is just going to the shutdown line on the BEC (which also powers the micro). That's why everyone will tell you, don't think the ESC won't continue to drain the battery even when switched off. But the switch does not have to carry any real amount of current at all.

What they probably did was the even funkier thing, if they are using a BEC that doesn't have a shutdown pin (many of the TO-220's don't in order to have only 3 pins) they might have just run the switch right to the micro and used that edge (debounced) to tell the micro to power up all the other circuitry. So if you plug in the battery with the switch already on, the micro won't ever see an edge (off-to-on) on that switch, and will just sit there. It's a quirky way to write firmware, there's no reason you couldn't just level-sample that switch, but you get these firmware guys who think they are the best and won't listen to others or follow common-rhetorical ways of doing things and you end up with some of the strangely coded firmware that's out there irl.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
skyartec hk

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

Best regards,

Michael

This is exactly why I go with reputable companies like Novak, LRP, or Castle Creations. The ultra low price tag is never worth the risk.
Hi,

yes, thats actually quite true. We have exchanged the ESCs if there were any problems, without exception. The new ESC is made in Taiwan, btw. not in China. I am afraid that the new ESC is state of the art. Actually the price difference between a "good" and a "bad" ESC is not quite high, in terms for production. You may save app. 10% in cost.

We are not supplying the old ESC series anymore.

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com
Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 AM
skyartec hk

ORIGINAL: Access

I love that site it's like "price only available to registered merchants". It's like they expect everyone else to order on faith that the price will be good enough.

Also the switch, I don't think that's as much an issue as the other things. I can't think of an ESC out there today where the switch is a true on/off switch. Making it a true on/off switch would hurt the ESC's peformance. In most cases the switch is just going to the shutdown line on the BEC (which also powers the micro). That's why everyone will tell you, don't think the ESC won't continue to drain the battery even when switched off. But the switch does not have to carry any real amount of current at all.

What they probably did was the even funkier thing, if they are using a BEC that doesn't have a shutdown pin (many of the TO-220's don't in order to have only 3 pins) they might have just run the switch right to the micro and used that edge (debounced) to tell the micro to power up all the other circuitry. So if you plug in the battery with the switch already on, the micro won't ever see an edge (off-to-on) on that switch, and will just sit there. It's a quirky way to write firmware, there's no reason you couldn't just level-sample that switch, but you get these firmware guys who think they are the best and won't listen to others or follow common-rhetorical ways of doing things and you end up with some of the strangely coded firmware that's out there irl.
Hi,

actually this website is our ordering portal for our resellers all over the world. Its not kind-a-webshop, it doesnt calculate freight, we use it as an interactive catalogue. The prices are for wholesale quantities, so there is no use to display those publicly. If you do live in a region where you can´t get hold of those products, we are happy to quote you a retail price for it on request.

The on-off switch is actually not powering down the system entirely. The CPU thus is powered off, the only thing which slowly drains your battery are leakage currents from the capacitors and some DS-leakage currents, which are quite small, but, they will ruin a lipo if stored over some time.

Acutally helicopter/airplane ESCs do not have switches at all, it is a kind of a security measure for RC cars. It is not actually necessary, but in some stage it comes kind of handy, as mostly the switches are easily accessible without removing the canopy of the car.

In case of any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

Best regards,

Michael

I agree people need to stick with name brand companies if they want something reliable, and that is gonna last a long time.
I would be scared to waste money on something so cheap looking. Ebay is plagued with this stuff. A guy at one of the tracks I visit bought one
of those exceed nitro 1/10 buggies off ebay, it just looked like a cheaply made car. He couldnt even get it started.
The electric stuff is probably no different. Like those tenergy "no name cell" batteries I heard wasnt that good either.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Matthew007

The tenergy Propel batteries are great...but of course they have to come with bootleg Deans connectors that are larger than spec and the other versions (non propel) are crap.
What pisses me off is that it seems from hobbywing their repair service fee is free for 120days under warranty and they pay for shipment to you and even out of warranty their service charge is at most $20 if it is repairable but of course THEY HAVENT EMAILED ME BACK! I'm going to raise hell on everywhere rc if they dont reply and satisfy me.
Power of the internet baby invented BY AMERICANS.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:40 PM
skyartec hk

Hi,

our new ESC/Motor combo is on sale now, please check it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330262546981
This combo is suitable for 1:10 cars using 540 size motors.

Best regards,

Michael
Modellfun Team
www.modellfun.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.