Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Rude or stupid hobby store workers

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Rude or stupid hobby store workers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:22 AM
3D 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rude or stupid hobby store workers

Happy NewYear! Now on to the post. Have you ever walked into a hobby shop and found that the people there were either really rude or just plain stupid? That happened to me when I went to Ed's covina hobby. I was looking for add-ons 4 for realflight G3 and I saw add-ons 1 behind Ed (the owner)so I asked him if he had add-ons 4. He said,"The other add-ons haven't been released yet there's only this one."(add on 1) That guy thought I was stupid! I looked around for a little while and when I greeted this other guy working on a Tmaxx he rolled his eyes at me and walked away. So I just left with no intention of ever returning. My best friend said he went there recently and right when he walked in,Ed said, "What the f**k do you want"? My friend replied, "You just lost another customer"! and walked out. Has this sort of thing happened to you?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 AM
bbbair

Default RE: Rude or stupid hobby store workers

No... I've never met anyone like that.[]

Not to worry, if "Ed" keeps loosing customers at that rate - very soon, he'll be closing his doors. (problem solved)

I hope that there is another LHS nearby.

Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eight years ago I returned to the same hobby shop I hung out at as a kid in the late fifties and early sixties. What was amazing was the original owner was there and had to have been in his eighties.

Now as an old guy myself and in a wheelchair he of course did not recognize me but he tried to help me barely able to get the words out because of his condition 'can I help you'.

First let me describe that store, A wonderful old time machine filled with everythine imaginable old and new. Imagine in this day and age being able to walk in any hobby store and buy any color butarate dope, or nitrate all the while just about anything else. Along one wall is a full store length of ancient glass cases.

OK back to the people: When he asked if he could help me I looked him in the eye and said, you don,t remember me but you see that big crack in that glass case? I did that in 1963 and I am really sorry. I had accidently dropped an engine or something on it as a kid and was so mortified ran out and I don,t think he saw. I am sure in reality of course he knew I had broke it but as the true modeling ambassadour he was, never said anything about it.

So here we stand forty five years later in front of that same taped glass case with me fessing up and it took a long time for the owner to comprehend what I was saying. When the lights of comprehension came on it was wonderful and I spent about five hours in that store buying up all I could and completely enjoying the company of 'Ed'. A great mentor of the hobby as well as all the neiborhood kids. He is one of several major milestone mentors in my lifelong love and participation in the sport/hobby.

I was delighted at this post and the realization that Ed is still with us and sorry you gentleman may have somehow got the wrong idea. But please understand I think some of this problem because of his communication problems.

Eds Covina Hobby on Citrus St. in Covina Ca. and formally on Library St. one of the few true local hobbys and as deserving as a destination in itself for any traveling modeler.

John
Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Crazy Mike on the south side is the only description I will give. Two things that rubbed me wrong. One, once will checking out and waiting for my CC receipt to print. He turns a radio box next to the register. Behind it is a beer. He takes a drink and turns the box back. Odd I thought but not enough to keep me away. Two, this shop sits at a 90 degree angle to a large grocery store. There is a table with a coffee pot on it in the front window. He and a buddy are sitting there. My wife and I walk in and start to look. A few minutes later a lady that mother nature had blessed was walking toward the grocery store. Both men pull out binoculars and start a chat about what she was wearing,how she filled it out and what they would do to her. I never went back. Not that I am against drinking a beer or looking at an atractive woman. But this was not the place or time and I found it very disrespectful to my wife. At 20 I would have got in his a**. At 40 I took my money elsewhere. It chaps me just thinking about it.

David
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John, next time I'm on the way to Laughlin, I am going to stop in...is it far from the Interstate? I'll be coming from Phoenix.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:30 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would be delighted to have a visiting flyer Tailskid. I am only five minutes from the I-40 and the flying field is only 10 minutes from the I-40. Bring an airplane and we will do some flying. Pm me before the trip and I will send my ph # and directions.

John
Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM
tailskid

Sounds like a plan to me! Now I just have to talk the wifey into staying in Laughlin for a night or two (ha ha).....
Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Crazy Mike on the south side is the only description I will give. Two things that rubbed me wrong. One, once will checking out and waiting for my CC receipt to print. He turns a radio box next to the register. Behind it is a beer. He takes a drink and turns the box back. Odd I thought but not enough to keep me away. Two, this shop sits at a 90 degree angle to a large grocery store. There is a table with a coffee pot on it in the front window. He and a buddy are sitting there. My wife and I walk in and start to look. A few minutes later a lady that mother nature had blessed was walking toward the grocery store. Both men pull out binoculars and start a chat about what she was wearing,how she filled it out and what they would do to her. I never went back. Not that I am against drinking a beer or looking at an atractive woman. But this was not the place or time and I found it very disrespectful to my wife. At 20 I would have got in his a**. At 40 I took my money elsewhere. It chaps me just thinking about it.

David
Having shopped in the same store I totally agree with Dave. The one that killed me was when he learned that I work on computers for a living. Everytime I walked into the shop he wanted me to "look" at his computer. Finally he asked one day so I walked over and picked up a case of fuel and headed out the door. He got all up in arms and insisted that I pay for the fuel. I "politely" explained that since he wanted me to do what I do for a living free for him, he shouldn't mind if I get some freebies from him too. He said "no 'effin' way". Headed out the door and never went back.

Ken
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
tailskid

Now that's cool!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: 3D 4 ME
Has this sort of thing happened to you?

Yeah, every time I walk into Home Depot or Lowe's...both of which are my "hobby shops".
I mean if I wanted to read every label and guess wildly about a product, there wouldn't be a need for the "help".
Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM
chashint

Since we are naming names A1 Hobby in Mesquite TX will never see me darken the door again. Used to be a very friendly, fun place to go .... but now its not.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Fortunately, I have a great place now. But it's run by a true businessman who also loves the hobby. In the past, however, I have gone to places like this. They don't last long though, since keeping a hobbystore from going out of business is hard enough without being rude to the customers. Dare I ask if this place specializes in cars, but has airplane stuff?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
fokkerdseven

Sad isn't it, model shops that are staffed by real enthusiasts/owners, are in very short supply..And who is to blame? We are! Everyone wants the bottom line to be at its lowest and service to be at its highest. The two just don't add up, compare Walmart with its ultra low prices, and then try and find a local supermarket that can compete, they went out of business years ago. The same goes for buying on line or from large mail order companies like Tower Hobbies, sure the price is low, but can you get advice on fuels,some fuel pipe on a Saturday evening,a crystal? the hell you can't!
Our model shops are a dying institution, as each shop closes, or the lease runs out, its never replaced. My local model shop in Homewood Al, has been in business for 50 years, but modeling doesn't keep the business going, selling toys does. But the staff are knowledgeable, friendly, and give the best advice to a prospective modeler, not selling just to take the cash. When the senior citizen owner retires - will his daughters still keep modeling going? Who knows. One thing is for sure though, model shops will get fewer and fewer if we all carry on buying from sources other than model shops.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
jettstarblue

Hobbytown USA is another one...lots of toys and R/C cars...not too much in the way of help or knowledge of aircraft.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
tailskid

"Everyone wants the bottom line to be at its lowest and service to be at its highest. "

I understand the train hobby isn't like that all - maybe they have 'deep pockets' and aviators have NO pockets
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I don't mind paying the going rate to keep a local Hobby Shop going, no problem. It is really nice to go into a shop where they really understand the products
and can help you out. I have noted that shops that aim to the car crowd really get tired of the old airplane guys as they tend to not be dazzled with the treatment
that the young crowd accepts. I will only accept what I know works and have a hard time with being brushed-off by some clerk who does not/will not learn about the product
being sold and would rather be in a little discussion with his young car running peers ignoring the paying customer[:@]. The two groups seem to be so far apart that an airplane guy in a shop that is car orientated will soon be going elsewhere unless the shop makes an effort to be helpful.
One such shop here locally went away for many of those reasons.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 AM
sortie

Was doing my best to support our local hobby store, would spend a minimun of $100.00 every time I visited. I,m a firm believer in this, but I also expect service from a small store. I have stood in line patiently time after time listening to many long winded conversations during and after purchases that were made by the costumer or costumers ahead of me. Certainly I enjoyed most and always thought a little interest was good public relations. When the counter clerk (with the owner nearby) started having conversations with his other friends who were not making purchases, I politly asked if I could get some info and make my purchase. What a rude thought I apparently had...left me never wanting to come back. Makes me sick when I think of the amount of money I spent over the past year to help support a local hobby shop.
I now shop online and am very happy along with visiting the larger hobby shop close by that does not specialize in any specific area, but they do treat me as a costumer. They want my business and I am happy to give it to them for their professional service.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
3D 4 ME

I get all my stuff at Tony's hobbies. All the people there are nice but it wasn't always like that. Tony use to be rude and kinda pushy and he still is to new customers. I like going there but now the city is going to tear down the mini mall where Tony's is.[] I hope they find another space soon.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
timothy thompson

rogers hobby center is the best saginaw mi
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Central RC in Peoria. Rick's a great guy. Looks like his business is mostly cars, but he always has time for flyers, and will order for ya. I intend to buy everything from him for my planes.

Dave Olson
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Sortie....

I suspect you live in eastern Wa, not far away from me. What you discribe is exactly what I have found locally. It seems that
Hobby Shop owners (new ) that have a keen interest in cars tend to look at flyers as just a little extra change. Flyers are a little or
a lot older than the car crowd and tend not to take everything at face value. They will not be taken advantage of and know what they want.
Flyers also will call it like it is and go elsewhere if they must stand around waiting to be waited on by someone who is more interested in
talking cars with a friend who is not really buying anything ...........
One such establishment seems to have gotten the message and in the long run will benifit from it. Why turn away business, it's hard enough
to keep a shop going.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 AM
linkadrip

Seems funny i have been in some Hobby stores and the people are real friendly and helpfull and at other times there just pissy or ignore you. I had a local hobby shop growing up as a kid and an old man ran the place out of the back of his house in the alley. He was mainly a train guy. But was always building planes and had the cars too. And was always friendly a true hobbyiest there the best.

Now all the Hobby shops in town are trains but the two older people are Really nice wish they wouldn't have decided to stop selling the plane stuff. But they Stoped due to Customers coming in and buying a Heli or a Plane then taking it home and putting it together then crashing it and then expecting the Hobby store owners to give them there money back. Only know about this cause i was in the store a couple times and witnessed this event happen. And talked to the owners and they Dont have that problem with trains. Only the planes and Helis. They Even posted sighns stating that if you take it home and open the package and remove the contents and build it or assemble it. It is not returnable. They dont want it back at that point they cannot resell it. Couple of old folk trying to run a little mom an pop hobby shop so i can understand it.

So Its strange, I now have to travel to Lancaster to a LHS and sometimes i go in and there busy with alot of people and other times there not. When there Busy i get ignored. Stood around once for it seemed like 30 minutes wanting a gallon of fuel behind the counter. I could see it just couldn't reach it. Kept on saying hey can i get some help here just want a gallon of fuel. No one helped me so i was patient and curoius as to why i wasnt being helped and ignored. So i waited walked around looked at differnt things, they sell everything so i could waste some time. I was kinda in a hurry. I had gotten a ride there and that person was wating in there car. But i knew that they wouldnt leave me 50 miles away from home.

So after the Mamager got done telling this kid all about the rc truck and how he should get the car cause the truck was top heavy and would tip over easy and how he was the smartest Son of a ***** in the rc hobby industry and should take his advise cause he knows all. And the other workers in the store got done with there sales pitch to the other customers i got my gallon of fuel. I went back over to the counter and still had to express a deep desired intrest in the Fuel to get it, you would have thought it was a gun or something the way they act, they wont hand it to you till you have paid for it. then they hand it to you like it might go off. I grab it and shake it around to see how much it foams and they look at you like how dare you do that in there store are you nuts. Thanks *******s wont be back there unless its absoulutly neccessary and i have alot of free time to spare waiting to be checked out with my stuff.Only hobby store i have been in that keeps the fuel and props behind the counter must be a hot item or something.

So The local train store in town has some fuel left. Or at least everytime i go in to see if they have sold everything off yet there is some. she keeps buying it i think cause i coming in a buying it and possably some others buy it from her too.

But then i visited a Hobby shop in Bakersfield and walk in and them people are all over you wanting to help you find something. And have a whole wall Of every kind of fuel you can imagine from every manufacture. you can grab as much as you want. like buying differnt brands of bleach in a super market. All the props are in little trays or hanging right out were you can grab them and look at them even a prop balancer is sitting there. if you want to see how out of balance it is, you can stand there all day and balance props they dont care. Tons of stuff but they dont know anything about planes they sell them and the fuel. buT are all rc car people. they Have helis too but dont know squat about them.
Very few completely great hobby shops out there but if anything its just fun to visit them for the experience.But if there Really rude like some people experience i can see were walking out and never going back would be smart. havent run into that yet Just some weirdos maily So i have had intresting experiences No bad ones yet.

I like the hobby store that hires the completly dumb guy he knows nothing. Then i ask a question, that i know that he should know working there and he Ah Ah i will have to ask one of the other sales people. Then i wounder How do these people get hired? I would think in an Interview you would have to know something about the hobby at least general knowledge. But i guess not. Think that is my main thing i hate stupid Hobby store workers. I have never learned anything about the Hobby in any LHS. Only from reading books and from forums.
I even took my heli into the Hobby store for the Know it all guy there and hes said our Heli guy isnt here he never there casue hes out flying a heli somwere. I think that contributes alot to the decline of hobby stores cant get any help with anything casue the people selling the stuff just dont know. But after sometime in the store there are specialist in each field if there are enough people in the store sometimes.
Ok enough sensless rambling on Cant wait till winters over then i wont be so boared to death be out flying instead of sitting here on these forums learning how to type lol.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
jettstarblue

One drop of Armor All and your fuel won't foam....
Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in/near Ft. Wayne, IN, and Phil's Hobby Shop was the shizzle! When I was in sixth grade I wrote a letter to Phil explaining to him how I wanted to own a Hobby Shop when I grew up, but wanted to work for him first. I never did get to work there, it was just too far from home without a car of my own. Every time I went home on leave from the military I would make a point of stopping in (mostly just to drool) and making a purchase. Phil was always helpful and had knowledgeable staff. I haven't been home in ten years, but I hear Phil's Hobby Shop is still open. I don't know if Phil is still around though. I now live in Mobile, AL, just two miles from the local HobbyTown. The owner, Rob Baker, is another class act in the business and extremely knowledgeable in his own right. I've been pretty lucky I guess.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
jettstarblue

Hey, this is turn ing into a warm fuzzy love fest for our favorite LHS! I thought the OP was throwing a biotch about rude or stupid hobby store workers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.