Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
akouzmit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Hi,

For a little while I have been using "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera on my T-Rex 450 SE v2.

I have found that in video mode camera shut down unexpectedly a few times and one time I wasn't able to stop recording and shut down power (everything was lost).

I read that camera exibit such problem in cold weather... well I am flying my heli in garage where temperature is ~ +5 degree celc (Toronto).

I get frustrated with loosing unique footages.

Camera is very light and well suited for any heli size, but look unreliable.

I am going to test it at room temperature, but so far I like my 5-in-1 tiny camera more (much more reliable although some additional work with file format).

At this point I would not recomment jump and buy this camera.

Andrei.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
myatesklan

Default RE: Experience with "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera

Thanks for the heads up. I have been considering buying one myself, and I live in Wisconsin, which is also quite cold in winter.

Please keep us updated on how things go.

Best of luck,
Matt
Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Thai

How much did you pay for it? I'm finding it for $99 online...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 PM
akouzmit

I have purchase it from hobby Lobby for $99: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/video-camera.htm

Please, consider this tiny video camera as well: http://www.tufflight.com/5n1vidcam.html

This las one is never failed for me newer ever since I purchased it 2 years ago. However this camera is require file format conversion and it has only 5-6 min recording time in the "best" mode.

FlyCamOne2 is more convinient to use (2GB SD card + simple AVI format and up to 30 min recording time in the "best" mode), but it's statrs failing from the very first day at colder then room temperature.

I do not see ideal solution for now and it is up to you to decide, which one to select.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 PM
akouzmit

Hello, my dissapointment with FlyCamOne2 is continue.

I just confirmed that camera is becoming unresponsive (no responce on the buttons) after ~1 min at: +2 to +6 degree cels.

Now it is -12 degree in Toronto and the temperature in my garage is about +5.

I am flying my TRex 450 in garage with camera attache to the tail fin.

May be additional cooling factor for the camera is air flow from the tail prop.

In any way I replaced FlyCamOne2 with 5-in- 1 tiny camcorder and it is performing very well w/o any single glich.

I also compared video quality between FlyCamOne2 and 5-in-1 camcorder and found that 5-in-1 camcorder is performing noticably better in poor light conditions.

The colors from 5-in-1 camcorder look brighter.

Another factor sound quality: Trex 450 sound more natural and clear from 5-in-1 camcorder.

The sound from FlyCamOne2 much noisier.

Although I am planning to use cameras at summer time in very good sunny conditions my "garage test" confirmed that FlyCamOne2 is perfoming worce compare to 5-in-1 camcorder.

5-in-1 camcorder: => has better video quality and color reproduction in the very poor light conditions;
5-in-1 camcorder: => has better (more natural and w/o noise) audio quality;
5-in-1 camcorder: => can perform very well and reliably at lower temperature;

I have to admit that 5-in-1 camcorder has some inconvient things:

- It is recording in strange The are also some minuses .STJ format, which require at list one conversion into .ASF format (readable by most players) or even second conversion into .AVI format for easy editing in the most video editing tools.
- Just 128MB embedded memory, which translates into ~5 min HQ video. I can keep my heli in the air for ~10min and 5 min recording time is not enough.

I have mentioned negative things about FlyCamOne2, but I have to say a few positive things about this new camcorder:
- Up to 2 GB SD card, which translates into ~30min HQ video (uncompressed .AVI format);
- camera records in the ready to use and to edit .AVI format (althpough its take more space on SD card);
- Adjustable lenses angle (up to 90 degree);

Regarding power supply I newer had any problem with eather FlyCamOne2 or 5-in-1 camcorder.

They are charged through USB cable and charge last long enough to shoot in video mode and utilize entire memory.

I hope my comments will help aerial photographer entusiasts to select right camera for them.

I am leaving this thread untill weather conditions here in Toronto will allow me to go outside and test my new FlyCamOne2 in more comfortable temperature and light conditions.

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
trustfriend0
Banned

$99 for "FlyCamOne2" Micro Video Camera is a good price
Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM
bboykin

have flycameraone2 hope to fly soon on new e-starter after maiden pictures in yard at 50 degref have pretty good. hope to have pictures from flight by sat. of this week. could u any help to down load to this sight
thanks
bobby
Old 01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the great comparison. A few more questions for you, if yo don't mind:

The Hobby Lobby site seems to indicate the FlyCamOne2 can be controlled remotely from your rx on a spare RX channel. Does this refer only to aiming the lens (which would require a servo) or is it referring to beeing able to activate the video capture itself (via a spare servo connector, I assume).

I'm wondering if you could snap photos by clicking the gear switch on your TX, or turn the video capture on and off via the gear switch for example. Could you control switching between picture vs video capture modes remotely?

One more point of comparison you may be interested in is this: The FlyCamOne2 frame rate specs say 25 frames per second, while the 5 n 1 lists 30 fps. How does the actual quality of the final produced video compare? (especially where fast moving subjects are involved).
Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
bboykin

as far i can tell only the position of the lens can be controlled. front of plane to ground under with another servo. the camera takes piticures ever few seconds when on still mode. you can download large copy of manual from lobby-hobby, you will need it because th one with camera is so small, need maginifly glass to read. have vista can download pictures from camera but still need to know how to put viedo on sight or you-tube
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
akouzmit

For this poor quality video camcorder 25 frames vs 30 doesn't play any role, although you know that theoretically 30 frames is better than 25 frames, but you only can see this difference playing simultaneosly with two high quality video camcorders.
For now you can forget about this 25vs30 issue. It is not for this types of cameras question.

Camera has 4 pins and I believe one is GND. The rest 3 can be used to control camera, but I didn't try it yet.
Please, download manual from Hobby-Lobby site.

Yes, lenses can be controlled by servo (90 degree).

Personally I wish this camera has better lenses, sensor and video quality. ... oh yes... it should work below +5 degree cels... and be reliable.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, I like this warning at the end:

ATTENTION!
The Privacy of others isprotected by law and should be taboo.

I guess pins 1 and 3 control the camera in video or still frame modes, but don't allow switching modes. You need to short these two together so it's not a direct connection to the receiver-- you need an electronic switch.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:01 AM
TruBlu02

I "suspect" I just got one of these from wife for my Birthday next week. I have wanted to get into aerial videos for awhiel so we will see how this turns out. The vids I have seen online look fine for me. I am not looking for high res video here. Lucky for me here in arkansas it does nto get as cold as canada!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 AM
jetpropdlx

I have the FCO2 for a few weeks and for what it is , I am happy with the result
[link=http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=I8TjgGF4RSI]a example[/link]

[link=http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/model-elektronica/47142-flycamone2.html]here[/link] are some more movies made with the FCO2
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I just bought one today, and wow, what a hunk of crap. It won't work with a memory card. It powers up, sometimes when no card is installed, but as soon as I slide the card in it shuts down and turn come back on until I remove the card, then push all the buttons a bunch of time, then plug it back in and press more buttons. I'm using a 4 G SDHC card. I also tried an older 8MB card, and same thing. What a ripoff, I can't believe how bad I got screwed on this thing.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 PM
akouzmit

I don't like this crappy camera as well, but just advice to you in case you want to get something from this crap:

1) Never use SDHC card as this camera is going to work only with regular SD card.

2) Never use more that 2GB SD card.

3) Never plug or unplug your SD card while camera is ON.

4) Never attempt to use this camera if temperature below zero degree.

==============

I found that camera has very weak power supply. 200mA Li-Po battery is very weak for cold conditions.

I removed this crappy Li-Po battery from the camera.

Then I soldered wires and put them out of the camera.

These wires have small connector from battery charger.

I am using external 1S Li-Po battery 1000mA/h with connector from servo.

This setup is much more reliable and I can shoot 2GB video non-stop at minus 3 degree celc. here in Canada.

I hope 4 "never" rules will help you a bit.

Andrew.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Tommygun

So it won't work with SDHC cards? I thought their site said it will use up to 4G? Wierd. Is there a minimum? Because it also won't work with an old 8MB card, I mean won't even turn on. Can you recommend a commercially available card? I wish I read this forum before buying it!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 PM
akouzmit

This one is a very good choice:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&CMP=ILC-FOT04

... and it is available in US from TigerDirect.com

I am using this card with the same camera and it's working fine.

====

Just a notice regarding 4GB or 8GB card => Even if they will work (lets assume it), then you will be not able to shoot non-stop movie for 4GB or 8GB as an internal battery will last just several minutes. It is the weakest part of this camera.

Think about upgrading this camera with EXTERNAL more powerfull Li-Po battery (for example from your old cell phone (if you still have charger for it)).

Andrew.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Tommygun

Well, I finally got the recording portion working with a sandisk ultra II 1.0 GB card, P/N SDSDH-1024-901. So now it's working and creating files. BUT! Now I can't play them. Windows media player says:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I tried several other video programs, including DIVX and Adobe Premier elements, and non of them will open it. The best I can get is with Quicktime, and it will play the audio and nothing else. I have no clue what to do next. This thing is a terrible headache; so much for plug and play.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:28 PM
akouzmit

I am using RealPlayer as well, but everything (audio and video) are OK.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17180.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	899247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65679.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	899248  
Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Tommygun

I tried opening it with Realplayer, and it says it must update. So I choose to update, then it says "no software is available for realplayer to play this clip." What gives???
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM
akouzmit

Just for the reference:

I have played .AVI in Windows Media Player and it's look OK as well.

By the way the color reproduction in QuickTime looks much better.

I am sending you my very short .AVI to try in QuickTime or Windows Media Player.

This is to check out if your file didn't get corrupted.

If you can't play my file then you have to update QuickTime or Windows Media Player depend what is your preferences.

Please, check your e-mail .

Andrew.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Tommygun

Well now it works. I have no idea what changed, but subsequent movies all play, and the first one did not. Really wierd. On one flight it lost half the picture and turned blue/green. On another it was moving in slow motion. I'm not sure what that is all about, but I guess if you want real high quality stuff you need to pay $200+ or so. Still pretty fun though, maybe it's not junk afterall. Does anyone know if the switch needs to be "on" during charging?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
eric97217

I have one and it works good so far. Sure it is not freezing cold in my neck of the woods so that may help a lot. You do have to download the driver from the flycam website. It is very slow on downloading movies but so far I am pleased. I dont want anything to expensive on my plane to loose or get destoryed in a crash.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
B2010

I bought one 2 months ago and could not get it to record; but the web cam worked. Until I saw the E-zone review that said:

"Using the FlyCamOne could not be easier, but remember to put the card in since the camera doesn't have any built-in memory. Just slide it in, though you might need to push it in with a small screwdriver or other small object. Once you hear a click you know you're good to go. "

The instruction manual is very lacking. My digital camera use a different cart, I had the card in, just not all the way. I even bought a different card to try. It works good now.

Thanks E-zone
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 AM
sanman55

What run times are people getting, on vl I get about 6 min. and it gets real hot, 110 degrees while its recording. The instructions SUCK, no mention how to use web cam, 2 different firmware instructions, no cord for remote, did not even tell me what the base was for., Finally figured it all out but I think mine is getting too hot., I have heard 1/2 hour recording but I don't see it. Sending this one back and getting another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.