Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Newbie need help with heli.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Newbie need help with heli.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
carlmora22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie need help with heli.

Hey I have been on this site alot resently trying to make a choice, and thats when I relised I could get some second oppions from people who know helis. I can only spend 200 for this and I have come down to two things.

One:
Esky Honeybee FP AND Esky Lama AND Esky flight sim

Or

Two:
E-flight Blade CX2

I get alot more with the first one but not so much with the second. I think I get more quality witht the Blade then the Lama, but I want to have a heli to fly after I learn the basic controls (Honeybee FP), so Im stuck. Anyway, I am going to have to make a dession by tonight im afaid (Or else reason will kick in and I won't get either). Anyway, if anyone could help I would be very thankful!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
nuttcaze

Default RE: Newbie need help with heli.

Just buy the HoneyBee Fixed Pitch.....

1. The HBFP comes with a sim so you wouldn't have to buy one, and you can use the HBFP Tx for Aerofly Pro Deluxe
2. You're only gonna end up with a single rotor heli anyways so skip the coaxials and go right to the sim programs then the HBFP
3. The HBFP has the fewest amount of parts, less parts less to break, and all replacement parts are cheap
4. The quality between E-flite and E_Sky is minimal, both work fine, E-flite has the 2.4ghz but not worth the extra $100

This is my shopping list for you:
HoneyBee FP - [link=http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/2577]$99.99[/link] - verify the sim cord is included!!!! mine wasn't and its suppose to be
Extra Ni-Mh battery - [link=http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/2586]$12.45[/link]

Spare parts (all from [link=http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=W262062]BPHobbies[/link])
Rotor Head - $1.50 (get 2, so $3)
Center Hub - $6.44
Flybar 2pk - $1.61
Outer Paddle Control Frame - $1.61
Ring-Like Push Rods - $1.20
Extra set of skids - $2.49
Main Blades - $8.25 (from KA-Planes cause BPHobbies is out of them right now, when they get them in stock they're only $4.95.)

Those are the main parts you could break on these heli's, not much else besides that.
All that only comes to $128.79 + shipping, save the rest for any additional parts you may need.

And heres my beginners guide for the HBFP [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kVtTeJHqTA]My Guide[/link]
Its not finished yet, still have 4 or 5 more parts to do but it gives you some good info on these.

But most important thing about the HBFP is that its a flying tank , ask any other HBFP owner No coaxial or CP can withstand the punishment I inflict on my HBFP
Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM
TramStop45

Get the first option, but with a honey bee cp. the lama will help you a lot to master the basic skill of flying a helicopter such as hovering and orientation while a cp will help you to understand, setup and train your skill to handle the agility of the real thing such as Trex and other CCPM helis. That fancy 2,4ghz tx and rx on blade cx is just a waste of money
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
nuttcaze

oh yeah, IF you have an experienced heli pilot near you then a HBCP might be a better way to go, some people feel they are easier to learn on but they require alot more setup then the HBFP, a CP heli has to be set up right to fly properly, and most novice heli pilots will not immediately understand how to properly set it up after crashes, the HBFP has no set up time, make sure nothings broke and go fly.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
carlmora22

Okay, I ended up getting the Blade Cx2. Yeah, I know the Honeybee would be good, but the thing I left out is that I bought a Walkera 22E a week ago and it crashed very quickly. The moments before I started it up I thought "Im not going to be like the others that crashed theres on the maiden flight", and of course I did. Not even 5 sec in the air []. But thats what I get for jumping the gun I suppose. Anyway, I figured I would go the safe way and take baby steps my plan is Co-axle--FP---CP---Nitro (Maybe.). Anyway, thanks for the help anyway, I appresiate it. Now im just waiting for the Blade Cx2 to come (Next day air).
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
nuttcaze

please tell us you didn't pay $200 for it [X(]
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 PM
carlmora22

Haha, nope. I looked around and got one from Ebay express for 120, with express shiping. Thought it was scheme, but Ebay insures your payment so I said why not? Anyway, got it today never been opened, batterys still sealed and just took a few clicks to trim. WOW, I was shaking so bad it was a rush! I would charge it but Im waiting for the battery pack to cool down. Hovered very nicely after it got past the ground effect, I was shaking so bad it was hopping up and down from the throttle. By the end of the charge I was flying cirlcles. It was awesome!! Anyway, im going to practice on this for a month or so (probly till next paycheck) and get the honeybee. If you get what you payed for then, im pretty happy!!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Coyote64

I started on cx2 and then went straight past fp to cp and got a Blade 400

I`d say learniung on the coaxial was a good move for orientation and confidence and do not regret getting it, especially when the weather is pants and i have to fly indoors

Even though i do fly b400 indoors during radds flight school, as i only need a 1 ft box
Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming your heli was RTF? Did you have to set it up? What was that like if you did? You're still working on RADDs, so, you haven't hovered yet? Any heli that size is a son of a gun to try to hover inside; there just isn't enough room until you've mastered it. A bit o' a sticky wicket, that!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Coyote64

ORIGINAL: kodak_jack

I'm assuming your heli was RTF? Did you have to set it up? What was that like if you did? You're still working on RADDs, so, you haven't hovered yet? Any heli that size is a son of a gun to try to hover inside; there just isn't enough room until you've mastered it. A bit o' a sticky wicket, that!
Yes was rtf, but even if you buy a rtf you still have to make sure blades track, trimming and screws are tight.

Yes i hover it ok, but i tried cheating, its easy to hover it in a 10 x 10 box, but i wanted the control and diciplin to keep it in 1 x 1 box first, so i went back and started radd`s again

Yes it is a son of a gun trying to keep it in one place with rotorwash in that space, but the whole idea is learning what really small inputs are required, if i go out the box i kill the throttle and punish myself by putting it back in the box

Takes a bit of bottle to do this, but once i have it perfect going outside should be easy transition. If i tried in a big open area, yes it woulkd be easier, easier to be sloppy with too much tx inputs, thus cheating the whole point of little inputs.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
carlmora22

So far so good! I had to buy a few new blades but nothing to bad till today, and even that isn't to bad. I got a foot or two off the ground and the blades shot out, cliped the tail off and fell to the ground. The screws that hold the blades in place broke off inside there holder and so yeah...Anyway, just need to buy some MORE blades and a screw set. Nothing to bad. But I am wondering what I should really be going with next cause after accessing the space I have inside my house with the Cx2, I don't think a honeybee FP would work well without breaking something in the house. I was looking at the Blade CP+ cause it looks alot smaller but I want something to fly outside. I live in Fort Worth texas so the weather is kinda...spuradic as fas as wind goes. I need something that can take a lil wind but still be small enough to fly inside. Gah, I know long list of criteria! 300 is my spending limit this time and it will be when I get my tax returen (LOVE tax season).
Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
nuttcaze

if you're looking to fly outside you really want to go with a CP and something bigger then a 300 size heli, the HBFP is terrible outside, its just too light, slightest breeze and it goes bye bye. HBFP's are best for garages, large rooms, gyms, any large indoor area. You can fly in small areas but theres never enough room to have fun actually flying, only hovering.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
carlmora22

Thanks Caze! This really helps, now I just need some more research one the CP+. I have seen video of it and it looks like it hovers real nice, I dunno if it has a brushless motor or not but it seems smooth! I like the blades on em too, but they look like bad news for my dog if he wants to try his biting and grabing tactics on it (Blade Cx2 is a pretty strong little bugger minus the blades). I flew the
Cx2 out for like 30 sec today, it was extremly calm but it triggered the want for a bigger heli everyone talks about...I love this hobby.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
nuttcaze

well a HBFP is a great single rotor heli to learn on, very tough, handles alot of abuse, then get a bigger CP, thats what I plan on doing, alot more parts to break on CP's
Old 03-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Phelansa

You might also consider the Belt CP?

Comes with BL as standard and I find it a bit easier to fly (steadier) than the slightly smaller CP or HBKII.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Airjunkie82

cx-2 all the way.

You will learn orientation and cheap replacement parts.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
hcopter51
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Airjunkie82

cx-2 all the way.

You will learn orientation and cheap replacement parts.
Absolutely.........heed this advice........Stay away from esky...........
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
nuttcaze

LOL [sm=lol.gif], I have 3 and love them all
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 PM
carlmora22

Well I have not had any of Eskys products so I cant make an opinion. They look like they would be a fine heli though. Still I love my Blade Cx2, just got back from buying a hardware set for it, some screws got lose during flight and yeaah. I need a new tail boom. I dont want the stock one so I think I am going to buy the carbon fiber tail, they say it improves the perfomance, Im not to sure on which to get though.